MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lose weight

zzelle

I lost weight fairly quickly- 9 months to lose 80 pounds back in 2018- and maintained until March of this year. Maintaining was a nightmare, though!

Since March, I have been on CAD. Stands for Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Not so much a diet as way of eating. Small low or no carb breakfast and lunch(eaten within 15 minutes), then whatever I want for dinner (eaten within an hour). It is about blood sugar spikes. No snacking at all, but it's a good trade off for me. I have been able to do this since March with little trouble or cravings. I have lost another another 23 pounds so far easily. (Slowly, but easily).11 pounds to go and I think maintaining this way of eating will be easy!

I can't give advice. More like an AA member- just share what works for me.

• Like 4

You are doing great Miki.  I need to get myself back on eating like I should. I am a type 2 diabetic and for the past year and a half I really haven't been eating like I should. Was so busy taken care of Dh and just fixing things that he was able to eat and I would just grab a bite of whatever when I could. Now that he has passed, I am having a hard time figuring out what works for me and cooking for one is not an easy task.  I still tend to cook more than I need and then have to figure out what to make with leftovers. Not all of the food is the best for a diabetic. Just have to sit down and figure out a meal plan and stick to it.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Not all of the food is the best for a diabetic. Just have to sit down and figure out a meal plan and stick to it.

I had a wise, old retired nurse tell me about the advantages of the different diets. We were living in SE Asia at the time and spent our evenings together. She said that the diabetic diet is the best one overall for the average person. I've always remembered that, especially since DH is diabetic. :happy0203:  His doctor gave him a printout the last time he went for a physical. He brought it home and gave it to me. It's called the DASH diet (low salt, I think). I took one look at it and told him that I couldn't make it work. I told him that all of his terrible snacking habits would ruin all the hours of work I would have to put into cooking what was in the DASH diet. :whistling:  I gave him the printout back and said I would follow his lead on what he would eat in the future. He just tossed the printout to the side and never looked at it again. After 48 years with that man, I know when to invest time and when to stop beating my head against the kitchen wall.   :0327:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL.  I follow a modified diabetic diet (keeping my carbs WAAAAAY low, below by critical carb level which is 30 g per day.)  Thats why I look it a a low carb diet as well.  The diabetic exchanges are useful in menu planning, I just leave out the higher carb choices.  Ironically when medical folks ask me what diet I use I say ":the diabetic exchange diet" then their next question is " how long have you been diabetic"  or "You didnt tell me you are diabetic"...sigh.  Then I have to explain reactive hypoglycemia to them and reiterate that I use that diet because it is very user friendly and easy to adapt to my needs.    

Well, slap me silly for not being...."average"...  deal with it.  ;)  

My doc also says it is the healthiest diet out there.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

I have an entirely different perspective and attitude about the "American Diabetes Association" diet. It is very high carb and keeps you on a blood glucose roller coaster! If you don't eat the carbs, you don't need the insulin to "control" the carbs - that is - if you don't create a high blood sugar in your body you won't need to "bring it down" by taking insulin! Then you won't need to have your doc DX insulin or other diabetic drugs and that does not make them (or big pharma) happy at all!

By the way - the method insulin uses to reduce your blood glucose is to turn all that excess sugar into FAT and store it around your middle! And yes, even so called "healthy" carbs (beans, fruit, "complex grains," etc) first have to be turned into glucose before it can be used to fuel your cells. BUT, if you consistently keep your carb intake low enough your body will turn to the fat it has stored "for a rainy day" and use that for fuel. Your body will also switch over to burning dietary fat for fuel. This is the basis/science behind the ketogenic diet.   

I would be happy to point anyone interested to a few FB pages, or some YT channels that go into more depth. :bouquet:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:33 AM, Midnightmom said:

I have an entirely different perspective and attitude about the "American Diabetes Association" diet. It is very high carb and keeps you on a blood glucose roller coaster! If you don't eat the carbs, you don't need the insulin to "control" the carbs - that is - if you don't create a high blood sugar in your body you won't need to "bring it down" by taking insulin! Then you won't need to have your doc DX insulin or other diabetic drugs and that does not make them (or big pharma) happy at all!

By the way - the method insulin uses to reduce your blood glucose is to turn all that excess sugar into FAT and store it around your middle! And yes, even so called "healthy" carbs (beans, fruit, "complex grains," etc) first have to be turned into glucose before it can be used to fuel your cells. BUT, if you consistently keep your carb intake low enough your body will turn to the fat it has stored "for a rainy day" and use that for fuel. Your body will also switch over to burning dietary fat for fuel. This is the basis/science behind the ketogenic diet. And do not forget to exercise with it!

I would be happy to point anyone interested to a few FB pages, or some YT channels that go into more depth. :bouquet:

I saw this thread and I am interested! You said that you can share links, it would be great for me to know more.

• Like 3

We have to keep the pharmaceutical companies rich.  That is why the American diabetes association wants you on high carbs. I stay away from the high carbs and eat mostly veggies and some meat. No bread much other than maybe a piece of toast with breakfast or some rice or potatoes about 3 times a week. Though I am fixing more carbs for GS. Been trying to get back on track again. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Debbiere said:

I saw this thread and I am interested! You said that you can share links, it would be great for me to know more.

I will get some together and post them. :thumbs: Here's some quick info to get you started. 

The first pic is the result of following the USDA Guidelines for a "Low-fat" diet; also known as the Standard American Diet (SAD)

1426189363_usdafoodpyramidresults.jpg.c6e1e302057fdb5d5ddd0c2038ef00de.jpg      Keto-Food-Pyramid.thumb.jpg.ba10697b6a0ce7746ddb549aaaa86d0d.jpg

709334822_56namesforsugar.jpg.e9dc35c25aa1dd5160220aaa8baff879.jpg   759744954_CRAP.jpg.31e2333b3ddfef54bd7330005df317fd.jpg

Read ALL labels - you will find many "hidden sugars" in the processed foods you buy.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 4

MidnightMom, that sounds a little like the Atkins diet. Starts off though with no carbs for a couple of weeks and then gradually add just enough to keep you on track. If I remember it is only about 20 grams of carbs that you can have after the first couple of weeks. Might start that back up again. But it was a lot of meat and I have been scaling back on meat about 4 times a week to stretch it more. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Love reading this thread. I’ve struggled with my weight my entire life. I also have some medical issues as well and lately my bad back has really flared up on me. My chiropractor suggested I try following this diet he is on. I had to buy some supplements snd have to follow a very strict diet for six weeks, and check in with him every week for a weigh in. This was the best way I could think of to keep myself accountable. He said besides losing weight my inflammation should drastically be reduced. Can’t wait because my back is killing me! I’m down 8 pounds since Sunday. 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

So far, so good with this diet. I am down 23 pounds so far. It took me at least a week and a couple of days before I quite feeling like I was going to die. I think it was a mix of starving, my menstrual started and a detox from sugar/artificial sweeteners. I still get hungry, but not like I did in the beginning. I'm getting a little bored with the foods. It is pretty restrictive. My last day is 3/31/23 and then I go into the maintenance phase. I do think I am going to look into the stay fit mom program. It seems a lot like more manageable than what this bland diet entails. I need realistic for the long term. 

• Like 3

I would recommend looking at the "Well Fed" trilogy of cookbooks by, I think, Melissa Joulwan?  The supposed focus is paleo, but they have recipes for keto and Whole30, as well as instructions for moving some of the recipes from one diet to another.  The recipes are definitely not boring nor bland.  

Whole30 did me a world of good.  Now that my intestine is talking to me again, I'm on basically a relaxed W30 allowing limited amounts of cheese, butter, and whole grains (especially fermented/sprouted grains).  The "Stop Eating C.R.A.P." slogan definitely fits.

• Like 2