MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020-2021 Corona Virus

HEY!  Who is this "Darlene" person?????   :grinning-smiley-044:

QUOTING Homesteader:   Live your life, MtRider. Make every day count and enjoy every breath that the Lord gives you.   

:thumbs:      There is NO WAY I'd give up horseback riding!   THAT is my main HEALTH AND WELLNESS requirement.  I think that's what folks do need to remember.  While MS and it's HUGE FATIGUE ISSUES have me quite used to being 'homebound' a lot, most people would certainly not be used to the lock-downs of COVID in 2020.  They didn't have the coping skills for it....at least initially.  And for many people, Lock-Down is anathema.  Can't tolerate it.  So....be adaptable and find ways to be safe and social. 

Having said that, in all likelihood, I DID pick the intestinal virus from the riding event.  And then passed it on to my mom.   So there is that part of my reality too.  We interact regularly with my ELDER parents often and thus are more careful.  :shrug:   It's a balance.  I'm very glad I only picked up a "four-hour confinement to the bathroom".  :buttercup:  

:hapydancsmil:......... RIDING brings a whole new, healthier outlook on my life! AND less pain!  Thus...better immune system response to other things!!!

MtRider  ....there is that factor too!  :happy0203:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

:laughkick:-> Homey and Darlene   

Um  hum..  Ummmm. :tapfoot: Do I have to send you two to your rooms?????   

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Mother said:

:laughkick:-> Homey and Darlene   

Um  hum..  Ummmm. :tapfoot: Do I have to send you two to your rooms?????   

I'm innocent.  :nail:

There I was minding my own business singing kumbya when she threw the first punch. 

I had to protect myself Mother. Self defense and all that stuff we teach about on here yanno. :darthduck:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Getting back to business......................... :hidingsmile:

US recommends 'pause' for single-dose J&J vaccine over clotting reports

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. on Tuesday recommended a “pause” in use of the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to investigate reports of rare but potentially dangerous blood clots, setting off a chain reaction worldwide and dealing a setback to the global vaccination campaign.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration announced that they were looking into unusual clots in six women between the ages of 18 and 48. One person died.

The acting FDA commissioner expected the pause to last only a matter of days. But the decision triggered swift action in Europe and elsewhere as the drugmaker, regulators and providers moved to halt the use of the J&J vaccine, at least for now.

J&J said in a statement that it was aware of the reports of blood clots, but that no link to its vaccine had been established. However, the company said late Tuesday it would delay the rollout of its vaccine in Europe and pause new vaccinations in its trials that are still underway until it can update its guidance on how to proceed.

Hundreds of thousands of doses were due to arrive in European countries, where vaccinations have been plagued by supply shortages, logistical problems and concerns over blood clots in a small number of people who received the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is not yet cleared for use in the U.S.

Any slowdown in the dissemination of the shots could have broad implications for the global vaccination effort. The J&J vaccine held immense promise because its single-dose regimen and relatively simple storage requirements would make it easier to use, especially in less affluent countries.

The clots, which happened six to 13 days after vaccination in veins that drain blood from the brain, occurred together with low platelets, the fragments in blood that normally form clots.

More than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine have been given in the U.S., the vast majority with no or mild side effects.

“We know there are plenty of critics who say, 'Why? It’s just a couple of cases. Why don’t we just move along?'” said Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA’s vaccine center. He noted past episodes when health problems surfaced in people who got new vaccines, such as the debut of the polio vaccine in 1955 and a vaccination campaign against a new form of flu in 1976.

When medical countermeasures injure people in the United States, “we don’t have a lot of tolerance for that, and that tends to undermine vaccine confidence,” Marks said. "So we simply have to do whatever we can to minimize or eliminate issues that might be considered friendly fire.”

The decision immediately upended some vaccine programs around the U.S.: In Atlanta, a mass vaccination event for public school teachers that was to have used the J&J vaccine was scrapped. St. Louis health officials said they would reach out to 1,800 people who got the shots to warn them of potential health issues. And in Montana, two colleges that had hoped to vaccinate students with J&J doses before they head home for the summer canceled clinics.

Authorities stressed they have found no sign of clot problems with the most widely used COVID-19 vaccines in the U.S. — from Moderna and Pfizer.

Seth Shockley of Indianapolis received the J&J vaccine Sunday and was initially worried when he heard about the potential side effects Tuesday. His concerns faded when he learned there were only six confirmed cases of blood clots.

“I would much rather take the risk with the vaccine — a much smaller risk — than to risk it with COVID,” he said. Now he's more worried that the reports could result in more people refusing to get vaccinated.

The FDA said the cases under investigation appear similar to the clots that are possibly linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine. European regulators have stressed that the AstraZeneca risk appears to be far lower than the possibility of developing clots from birth control pills, which typically cause clots in about 4 of every 10,000 women who use them for a year.

Speaking at the White House, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top expert on infectious disease, said the pause would allow the FDA and the CDC to investigate the clotting cases and “to make physicians more aware of this.”

A CDC committee will meet Wednesday to discuss the cases, and the FDA has launched an investigation into the cause of the clots and low platelet counts.

FDA officials emphasized that Tuesday’s action was not a mandate. Doctors and patients could still use J&J’s vaccine if they decide its benefits outweigh its risks for individual cases, Marks said.

The agencies recommend that people who were given the J&J vaccine should contact their doctor if they experience severe headache, abdominal or leg pain or shortness of breath within three weeks.

U.S. health authorities cautioned doctors against using a typical clot treatment, the blood-thinner heparin. European authorities investigating the AstraZeneca cases have concluded that the clots appear to be similar to a very rare abnormal immune response that sometimes strikes people treated with heparin, leading to a temporary clotting disorder.

While it's not clear yet if the reports among J&J recipients are related, doctors would treat these kinds of unusual clots like they treat people who have the heparin reaction — with different kinds of blood thinners and sometimes an antibody infusion, said Dr. Geoffrey Barnes, a clot expert at the University of Michigan.

Even without J&J’s vaccine, White House officials said they remain on track to have enough supplies to vaccinate most American adults by the summer.

“We believe there’s enough vaccine in the system — Moderna and Pfizer — for all Americans who want to get vaccinated by May 31 to do so,” said Jeff Zients, the White House’s COVID-19 response coordinator.

The J&J vaccine received emergency use authorization from the FDA in late February with great fanfare. Yet the shot only makes up a small fraction of the doses administered in the U.S. J&J has been plagued by production delays and manufacturing errors at the Baltimore plant of a contractor.

Last week, the drugmaker took over the facility to scale up production in hopes of meeting its commitment to the U.S. government of providing about 100 million doses by the end of May.

At the Green Wave Pharmacy in rural Clintwood, Virginia, many customers have specifically requested the J&J vaccine. Pharmacist Sheryl Pientka said the pharmacy in the Appalachian Mountains serves low-income and elderly people who prefer to get one shot instead of two.

Although the pharmacy has Moderna vaccines in stock, some elderly and homebound customers may wait for the J&J shot to get cleared for use again, Pientka said.

“It’s a very small town where everyone knows everyone else, so people say, ‘I know so-and-so got the vaccine. If she doesn’t have a problem, then I’ll go get it,’” she said.

https://krcrtv.com/news/coronavirus/us-recommends-pause-for-single-dose-jj-covid-19-vaccine-to-investigate-clotting-reports?fbclid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure,  Innocent. Protection.  Defense, :rolleyes:   But I'd hate to send you to you room when you just got here.  I'm watching you and Homey both.  You better behave. 

Mother goes off grumbling about how good it is to have Darlene back..... 

• Haha 2

MM, I saw that on the morning news, yesterday, while I was at the dentist office.  Mom’s evening news, said it was one in a million chance.  Either way, I am very apprehensive about taking something that has not been thoroughly tested for long term side effects.  

:tinfoilhatsmile:

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Homesteader said:

:laughkick::24:

Smoke screen.   :coffeescreen:  Good one. Is that all you got?  :0327:

You, out of all people should know your allegation is false. :) Mother WILL need a nap at some point in time and then.....?

Mother? Can I get you a cup of tea so that you can relax and put your weary feet up? I know better than anyone how taxing Homey's shenanigans can be :)

• Haha 2

OH bother........ I can see my work load has just doubled.  And yes, I do believe I need a cup of tea though I might need something stronger before I get done with these two and I don't even drink.   I need a nap.

Mother ->:offtobed:  smoke screens, picking back first, bunch of loveable brats anyway, I suppose The CG will be in this next,,,, mumble mumble.   

• Haha 4

NO vaccine is free from possible side effects for some people.  I have had several ER visits after getting a vaccine but most of them were allergic reactions to some ingredients.  With my doctor's blessing I will refrain from any vaccines but because I am at high risk that means I need to be doubly isolated from others who might have it. Kind of hard on the mental/emotional aspic of it all but it's given me a good look at what it would be like with ENFORCED lock downs IF that becomes necessary.  It's also given me a chance to reassess our preps.  Thank heavens for a wonderful daughter and online ordering.  That, of course might not be possible if :smiley_shitfan:  Think about it.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
39 minutes ago, TheCG said:

This is the best-written article I've seen from someone who isn't getting the vaccine on the reasons why not: https://www.deconstructingconventional.com/post/18-reason-i-won-t-be-getting-a-covid-vaccine 

I found this point to be most interesting:o

#7: NO INFORMED CONSENT

What most who are taking the vaccine don't know is that because these products are still in clinical trials, anyone who gets the shot is now part of the clinical trial.

They are part of the experiment.

Those (like me) who do not take it, are part of the control group.

Time will tell how this experiment works out.

This is only point #9, but this puts the "nail in the coffin" for me to EVER take this non-vax "vaccine!" :shakinghead: :gaah: :tapfoot:

The primary endpoint (what the vaccines are meant to accomplish) is to lower your symptoms.

Now for the next logical question:

• If we're worried about asymptomatic spreaders, would the vaccine not make it more likely that we are creating asymptomatic spread?
If it indeed reduces symptoms, anyone who gets it might not even know they are sick and thus they are more likely to spread the virus, right?

Non sequiter!!!

• Like 2

Just for the sake of taking a look:  What are the other diseases which have "asymptomatic spreaders"? I'm not talking about the wild card like Typhoid Mary.  I mean, regular folks you just don't present enough symptoms yet truly can be passing on the disease.

:tinfoilhatsmile:  .....has it really been proven that COVID has "asymptomatic spreaders"?   I'm only questioning this because it would be a really good way to keep this crisis rolling.  Can't prove they don't exist.....yanno?   The ole double-negative bind.

MtRider  ....not sayin' anything for certain...just pondering  :shrug: 

• Like 4

Yawn, Darlene, what did you put in that tea?   :mornincoffee:  oh, no.  I knew I shouldn't have said THAT name.  Now I have the official Forum Brat here too.  Great.  Hi The CG.  You haven't done a thing.  And I know you don't PLAN to do anything either, do you?   

Oh, while you are here, that link was really good.  I shared it with a few people who were trying to make decisions.  Thanks for posting it.   I especially was taken by the idea that all those who GOT the vaccine were essentially part of the 'study' and those who don't get it are the control in the group.  The other thing I knew already was that the vaccines aren't meant to keep the spread down but to help with the symptoms.  Kind of scary to think a lot of people really do believe it protects them from the virus.  :hidingsmile:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mother said:

Yawn, Darlene, what did you put in that tea?

She's always pilfering through my cupboards for medicinal cough medicines.  Nite Mother.

My doctor feels that asymptomatic people don't have enough virus load to get sick let alone give it to others. Since his wife, also a doctor, ended up on the city health department my doctor has been spending his nights researching and using up forests of trees through his printer.   :happy0203:  He used to think that objectors to the gene therapy were wackos and conspiracy theorists. He's changed his mind.    :welcome:   He's also finding out that much of the non-mainstream researchers are having their videos and charts wiped from the net.   :reading:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mother said:

I especially was taken by the idea that all those who GOT the vaccine were essentially part of the 'study' and those who don't get it are the control in the group.

As Midnight and Mother have pointed out in TheCG's article...... those who take it are PART OF THE STUDY :tapfoot:   AND :o  the rest of us are PART OF THE CONTROL GROUP.....  Whoa!  I didn't think of it in those terms.  :darthduck:  

And.....

1 hour ago, Mother said:

The other thing I knew already was that the vaccines aren't meant to keep the spread down but to help with the symptoms

.......so this is why we're all still wearing masks?  :ph34r:   .....which have not really proven to be all that effective anyway...  <_<  

MtRider  ...still using the Blue Sofa Protection Plan  :behindsofa:

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Homesteader said:

My doctor feels that asymptomatic people don't have enough virus load to get sick let alone give it to others.

Hmmmmmmm........  Interesting, no?

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

I really wish they would STOP calling these shots VACCINES!

They are not made from any elements of the disease itself, so how can they get away with using that term? OTOH, why aren't they now developing a "true" vaccine from the plasma of those who have had it and "beaten" it? I'm pretty sure I read (somewhere, sometime) in the past that getting a treatement of plasma from someone who has recovered has helped those who have received it.

I know Pres Trump was hell bent on helping overcome this thing loosed on the world by the CCP, but I am afraid that "they" used him as a dupe to get done what they couldn't have gotten done without him. :(

• Thanks 3

I agree about calling it a vaccine. It's gene manipulation. However, by saying vac, vax, shot or jab, people know what we are referring to. The medical professionals should not have begun calling that in the first place. Of course it was better to dumb us down into thinking it was a vaccine because who would take a gene manipulation shot, on the market less than a year, and then another one...and then a booster. Three shots that may cover you for 6 months is not a vaccination. 

I'm sure they are trying to develop a real vaccine but that takes time. And more time to be tested for safety. Exactly. What they are passing out now is just a money maker. 

• Like 4