MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Authentic Old Fashioned Mexican Food

Tonight was green chicken enchiladas, re-fried beans and rice.  
 From DH’s grandmother…

The rice… white rice, sautéed until just brown…

6DAE60A5-176F-4F7B-81E7-4A54A0B97FE5.jpeg

Add a Tbs of diced tomatoes, I have a container kept frozen for this recipe, specifically.  Microwave a minute or two, enough to use for the rice, add a tsp of dried minced onion, a Tbs of tomato bullion and return to the heat….

7F70C5FC-56DD-49BB-8D35-8504CF2A8CB0.jpeg

Sauté just enough to boil some of the liquid from the tomatoes.  For some reason, frying the tomatoes makes a big difference in the taste.  Add enough water to cover,

E51EA5FF-049D-4CF7-8D1A-85A9764D2738.jpeg

bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until most the water is gone, then turn the fire off, let it steep.

Chicken enchiladas, 1 pint of canned chicken.  I usually boil a leg & thigh, remove the bones & shred it, but tonight, I used the pint of chicken that didn’t seal when I canned it.  Saved a lot of time.  Lol. Added a Tbs. of cream cheese, & a Tbs of jalapeño cream cheese, and a tsp of chicken bullion, mixed well. 

8ACC496C-F56C-40F5-A98D-4BCEC6324AD9.jpeg

Lightly fried 8 corn tortillas in veggie oil, then, let them sit, to cool down, while I defrosted the beans for re-fried beans… these are from pots of beans, when I make MIL her ‘bean juice soup.  I strain the beans out of the liquid and save the beans for re-fries.

FD8555FE-1C2A-475A-B7C5-FDE2D97EC624.jpeg

I use the pan i fried the tortillas in, adding a Tbs of tomato bullion & a handful of cheddar/ jack cheese.

0DED28C1-8BFA-49C9-BD5D-08F6CDD7D204.jpeg

Mix well, cook on medium heat, mixing off & on,  until they get thicker.

As they are cooking, I fill & roll up the tortillas with the mixture….

5CD9658D-1917-4051-A0EA-F26273132F32.jpeg

Pour the greens enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle the last of the cheese on top.

71382AC3-F111-4668-A640-CE65CA6B39A1.jpeg
Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes.  

Melted cheese….

D28682C2-3E29-4BA8-9EDE-889D31481B42.jpeg

Rice absorbed all the excess water…

050FB690-F0DD-4316-9904-83D3003E9118.jpeg

and the enchiladas cooked enough to be hot throughout…

351B1F80-552F-4F11-83B1-1B4282E72E20.jpeg

My dinner tonight…. 

6B290645-E7E2-40BD-B5FE-FBB87FCC0A66.jpeg

(Forgive the paper plate….  It saves excess dishes…. Lol)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Oh my, that looks sooo good! I ordered some tomato bouillon from Amazon just last night. It's the Knorr brand so I'm sure it will be good.

I nearly ordered a big can of tomato powder a week or so ago but wasn't sure about it. I'm so glad I waited for your recommendation on the bouillon instead. I had never heard of it.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tomato bouillon arrived on my door step already this morning. So fast. They must be doing drones. :scratchhead: 

I picked up the box and thought it was sort of big for a little jar of powdered bouillon. Turns out I had ordered a 2 pound jar of it! Well, I guess I'm stocked up on tomato bouillon.

For the rest of my life. :cheeky-smiley-067:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dang, that looks so good.  I am stuck with eating sandwiches and canned soup as the dust in the house from all the work going on is making it hard to cook a real meal. I knew the dust would be bad, but I could plant a small garden in it, as it is so thick. Guess you all know what I will be doing when the work is done. 

• Like 3

I blame @Annarchy for the new addition to my spices.  I broke down and ordered some from Amazon.  I can't wait to try it.   Tonight I already have a big pot of borracho beans with hamburger going.

(The containers are what they say they are but probably not the brand that is on them.  I buy most spices in bulk and empty it into the quart jars as needed.  If you have ever asked yourself if someone can actually use 50lb of cinnamon before it goes bad...why yes I can.) 

20220201_144958.jpg

• Like 4

That shelf has 2 more racks and I keep my smaller spices in a different cabinet.   Garlic, Curry, Paprika, Cinnamon, and lemon pepper are things I keep massive stock.  

Without listing amounts, this is my current spice inventory (yes i use them all.  some more than others.)   Condiments & sauces and things like taco seasoning packets or gravy/soup/dip packets I track under a different category.   These are just large bottles/bags of spice.   I'd love to hear what other people consider their necessary spices.

Spices Allspice
Spices Basil
Spices Bay Leaves
Spices beef bullion cubes
Spices black pepper
Spices Bread Seasoning
Spices Cajun
Spices Caraway
Spices Cardamon
Spices Cayanne
Spices Celery Seed
Spices chicken bullion 
Spices Chipolte Pepper 
Spices Cinnamon lbs
Spices Cinnamon Sticks
Spices Cream of Tartar
Spices Cumin
Spices Curry
Spices Dill
Spices Dried Ginger
Spices Everything Bagal Seasoning
Spices Fajita Seasoning
Spices Garlic Minced  jar
Spices Ginger ground
Spices granulated garlic
Spices Ground Cloves 
Spices Italian Seasoning
Spices Lemon Pepper
Spices Montreal Cx Seasoning
Spices Mustard Ground
Spices Mustard Seed
Spices Nutmeg sm
Spices Paprika
Spices Pectin
Spices Peppercorns
Spices Pickle Crisper
Spices Pink Salt
Spices Poppy Seed
Spices Poultry Seasoning
Spices Pumpkin Spice
Spices Roaster Garlic Herb seasoning
Spices Rosemary
Spices Salt 
Spices Salt Grinder
Spices Sazon
Spices Thyme
Spices Tumeric
Spices Whole Cloves
  • Like 5

I'm a spice dud. Most of the ones I listed I only use 1-2 times a year. Like Thanksgiving. Using your list I have and sometimes use;

Bay Leaves

Bouillon   Beef, Chicken and now Tomato

Celery Seeds

Chili Powder   Mexene

Cinnamon   Powder and Sticks and Sugar

Cloves   Ground and Whole

Dill Seeds

Garlic   Granules and Powdered and Dehydrated  

Ginger Powder

Italian Seasoning

Montreal Seasoning

Mustard Seed

Nutmeg

Onion   Granules and Powdered and Dehydrated

Paprika  Plain and Smoked

Pepper   Black

Rosemary

Sage

Salad Seasonings

Salt   Lite and Canning

Taco Seasoning

Thyme

Vanilla   Pods

• Like 2

That’s a nice list euphrasyne,   Very nice.

A couple I didn’t recognize or know what you use them in. 
Bread seasoning, everything bagel, & Sazon.  Otherwise, I have about the same variety.

I can add a few to your list, Sage, Greek, Italian and Mexican oregano, white pepper.  Mixed spices/seasoning; Gumbo File, Pepper Chere, Quarterdeck, peppermint, Achiote (Annato), Creole, and a few more.

I re-package most all my spices & seasonings into canning jars.  It makes it easier for me to see if I’m running low.  

I will add more Mexican recipes, as I cook them.  

• Like 3

Caldio 

1 lb cubed beef

Sprinkle with; salt, pepper, Ground cumin, onion powder, & garlic powder, then, mix.  Sauté, over medium heat.  Add sliced, quartered onion, Sauté, add diced tomatoes & simmer 15 minutes.  Add diced jalapeños (to taste). Add 2-2 1/2 cups of water.  Simmer 30 minutes.  Add 2-3 cubed potatoes, and simmer until potatoes are cooked.

• Like 2

If you ever go out for Italian or such and they sprinkle that herb mix in a plate and cover it with oil so you can dip the bread in it, that is what I call 'bread' seasoning.

Everything bagel is a type of bagel that has all the toppings on it, sesame seed, poppy seed, garlic, onion, salt.   I put it on top of bread before baking, or use it to season chicken for baking.  

Sazon is a Mexican/South American spice of salt, pepper, cilantro, achiote, garlic, cumin, oregano and sometimes paprika or tumeric.      I also have tropical sazon which has garlic and tumeric and onion as well as some of the others.

I have sage and oregano in the garden as well as rosemary and basil.  I use them seasonally.  

I used to keep gumbo file, but I was the only one who liked it and it is hard to find here so I didn't replace the last bottle I finished.    Never heard of Pepper Chere or  Quarterdeck.  I'll go look those up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I’m not home right now, but a couple off the top of my head that I use quite a bit:

ancho powder 

herbs de provence 

I also use a garlic infused smoked sea salt that is AWESOME, though a bit pricey. I use it sparingly... an itty bit goes a looooong way.

76A0B2D5-8584-4BFE-8DEA-4F3B12C366CF.jpeg

• Like 2

My current pantry: and I mix a lot.  all bulliion is currently powder jars and not cubes.  Seasoning makes life happy.  There can never be too much garlic.  

Spices Abado
Spices Allspice
Spices Basil
Spices Bay Leaves
Spices beef bullion cubes- 1
Spices black pepper- 1
Spices Bread Seasoning
Spices Cajun
Spices Caraway
Spices Cardamon
Spices Cayanne
Spices Celery Seed
Spices chicken bullion cubes- 1
Spices Chipolte Pepper 
Spices Cilantro Lime Seasoning
Spices Cinnamon lbs
Spices Corriander Seed
Spices Cream of Tartar
Spices Cumin
Spices Curry
Spices Dill
Spices Dried Ginger
Spices Everything Bagal Seasoning
Spices Fajita Seasoning
Spices Fennel Seed
Spices Fenugreek Seed
Spices Garlic Minced  jar
Spices Ginger ground
Spices granulated garlic- 1
Spices Ground Cloves 
Spices Italian Seasoning
Spices Lemon Pepper
Spices Montreal Cx Seasoning
Spices Moroccan Spice
Spices Mustard Ground
Spices Mustard Seed
Spices Nutmeg sm
Spices Orange Pepper
Spices Paprika
Spices Pectin
Spices Peppercorns
Spices Pickle Crisper
Spices Pink Salt
Spices Poppy Seed
Spices Poultry Seasoning
Spices Pumpkin Spice
Spices Ranch Powder shaker
Spices Roaster Garlic Herb seasoning
Spices Rosemary
Spices Salt 
Spices Salt Grinder
Spices Sazon
Spices Sazon Tropical
Spices Star Anice whole
Spices Thyme
Spices Tumeric
Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

It won't let me edit to add that DH had to put new handles onto the pantry to attach the baby locks to keep DD3 out.  It was a serious issue for the last few months.  I had to buy new paprika, cinnamon, and mustard.  Kids are awesome, but kids suck.  Seriously, kidproof your preps.  also i have tomato bullion now.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1

I keep minced garlic in the fridge and whole garlic on the shelf.  Seriously garlic everything.  Its a natural antibiotic and we stay healthy because of it.  DD15 has only been sick once in her life and I passed on garlic love to her.  Say yes to health and garlic.  Black pepper is a diuretic.  Great after stomach issues to stop constipation.  Turmeric is a great antiseptic topically.   Spices have many uses.   It is sad that knowledge has been lost over time.  We eat tasty, spicy, and healthy.  Spices aren't just for flavor.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4