MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Walked first this morning.
Walked dogs.
Washed rugs.
Paid water bill. It was a normal one again, thank God!
Will bake ham in a few minutes and then package and put away.
Hoping that's all.

• Like 1

Put up 4 lbs. of butter beans and 5 zucchinis this morning. Washed sheets. towels and blankets as well this morning. Went out and picked green peppers that I will be getting ready for freezer soon. As soon as GS leaves for work I will be trying to get that bedroom finished for him or at least most of the way finished so he can sleep in there instead of Livingroom. He started back drinking energy drinks a lot and then can't sleep and doesn't want me doing anything during the day while he sleeps. Not my problem and he will just have to deal with it or find him an apt. Stop the energy drinks and he can sleep just fine. Hoping that having his own room with a door he can shut instead of couch in Livingroom will help, but time will tell. I will be starting back into canning before long and he will just have to learn to sleep through it. 

On the sealing of the jars with the seal a meal. I have never had a problem with that but will keep using the 2 lids in mind if I do start having a problem. It might just be a suction issue getting the lid cover off. Could be pulling the lid off jars as you pull the suction cover off. 

• Like 2

With the jar lids not suctioning down, sometimes two lids does help. But then again sometimes it doesn't. There have been times when I had to just get a different lid and start all over again. I don't know why that happens but it sure does. And after it finishes sealing, I always disconnect the hose before I remove the attachment to make sure there is no more suction in there pulling the lid off. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. For me, jar sealing can be a hit or miss situation. But when it works it sure is great. I just sealed some oyster crackers yesterday.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Littlesister said:

On the sealing of the jars with the seal a meal. I have never had a problem with that but will keep using the 2 lids in mind if I do start having a problem. It might just be a suction issue getting the lid cover off. Could be pulling the lid off jars as you pull the suction cover off. 

5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

With the jar lids not suctioning down, sometimes two lids does help. But then again sometimes it doesn't.

The issue seems to be mostly the Regular Mouth jars/lids. At least that is what I see reported on various YT channels and FB groups.

• Like 3

Another frustrating day ahead.  Am I the only one who spends a ton of time trying to get things fixed?  It seems like everything is broken or jimmy rigged. When you try to get parts that's a problem too.  I am so tired of everything being "marginal".  My mower started hacking the grass on one side only yesterday. Hopefully it is a minor fix. I am also waiting on a part for the sprayer , and another for the gator for over a month now.  Can't get new front wheels for my mobility chair either.  They are completely bald now. My a/c window unit (using because my central unit went down) is changing where it is draining. I have to check it several times a day to make sure it isn't damaging siding when it drips. I have several more irritating things like this going on but you get the picture.  GRRR.

Today is also a sad day.  The 40th anniversary of the day I met DH.  I still have a perfect mental picture of my first glimpse of him. I guess I must have known to remember that moment. I miss him terribly.

Still very hot and humid but not nearly as bad as many other places.  I feel so sorry for those out west.  We at least get breaks.  Most evenings are quite pleasant.  My sorry tomato plant has only put out 6 tomatoes.  I am so glad I didn't attempt to grow more.  Very disapppointing. My lettuce even did bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Midnightmom, if I remember correctly :rolleyes: it was my regular mouth jar lids that I had the most trouble with too. 

Momo, I'm sorry you are going through a troubled patch right now. Just know that you are not alone in the "everything is breaking down and I can't get the parts or anyone to help fix it" situation. I'm going through it too. And so are a lot of people I know. Most days I feel like I'm riding in our Miki's handbasket going straight down.  But we will get through this. I know that because we always do.  :hug3: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

The issue seems to be mostly the Regular Mouth jars/lids. At least that is what I see reported on various YT channels and FB groups.

I picked these up by the  lids. Will  let you know how they do. 20220713_141507.thumb.jpg.53c42318635f6ac21861033a6e0e6689.jpg

• Like 3

D-ex asked me why I don't take g-son out to my house to baby sit. I tried to explain AGAIN that I don't have room for a car seat in the Jeep when I go over there. It takes me nearly all the time I'm over there to get it unloaded and dragged into the house. 

I forgot to take a picture of the front seat. It was crammed with a sewing machine (thought I'd have time to whip up some curtains :008Laughing:)and birthday pressies and my purse and CD's. I have learned to keep things about a foot or two below the back of the seats so I can see out the back window. The big white thing on the left side is a laundry hamper still in the wrapper, full of noodles. 

This is how I roll  :24:

Left Side

image.jpeg

Right Side

image.jpeg

Backside

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Farm report from NW Indiana first week in July.

Well, the fields looked beautiful over there. I've noticed that the framers do rotate their crops between corn and soy beans pretty well. One year corn on the left and the next year it's on the right. Usually. 

The pictures aren't great but all the corn over there was beautiful and at least 4 foot tall. The soy beans looked great too. Some of the larger farmers were watering their fields with those huge walking watering systems. 

image.jpeg    image.jpeg

I did notice one issue in some of the soy bean fields though. Some of them had old dried corn stalks in them. This was in a number of different places. I don't know if it was a lack of the chemicals they use or a lack of fertilizer or the seeds this year what.  But I've never seen that before. And it wasn't just a few stalks here and there. It was in patches. 

All of that  yellow stuff back inside the soybean bean field is from last years corn. I think the yellow stuff in front is left over hay. I did see a couple of farmers out baling. I've never seen a wheat field in my area. 

image.jpeg

And another thing. Usually every field has a sign saying where the seeds are from. I can't remember them all now except for a Pioneer sign. They are popular over there. It seems like every 3rd. field had a Pioneer seed sign by their field.  I knew Pioneer seeds were popular in Indiana since I was a kid. We had a big Pioneer plant in my little hometown that hired kids every year to detassel corn. Anyway... not one sign by a farmers field this year. Not one.

Okay, might be one of those "you had to have been there" pictures.

But from my vantage point the clouds in the sky looked just like a dental Xray. :happy0203:

Not another cloud in the sky.

Sky Teeth

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jeepers yeah that would be a bit hard to get a car seat in there lol.  I noticed the same thing in some fields around here with corn growing in the soybeans, haven't seen that very often and not sure why it's different this year? :shrug: I took heart in the fact all the corn around here is nice and tall and putting on ears already. I wasn't sure how well it would do since they got it in so late and it looked like the fields weren't doing much until late May! So many people saying it's been a bad garden year online but here so far I think it's been ok.

Jars look great Midnightmom I'll keep that in mind if I go that route and get wide mouth jars. My tomato plants are putting on fruit and I got to pick and eat my first cherry tomatoes today :hapydancsmil: made me so happy when I saw that today. It's hot and muggy and underneath I have the grass growing back but they are doing great even though I've been a completely neglectful gardener this year. Vacation is over and I'm back at work but it's been a relaxing slow pace this week so it hasn't felt like I'm really working. Have to love summer when so many are out on PTO and the pace is slower :) 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Okay, might be one of those "you had to have been there" pictures.

But from my vantage point the clouds in the sky looked just like a dental Xray. :happy0203:

Not another cloud in the sky.

Sky Teeth

image.jpeg

:24:  :24:  :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Busy couple of days.
Walmart yesterday for a few items $50. Yikes!
Thrifts shops. no local grocery sales of any note.
Harvested in garden. Down to okra and assorted peppers. And 2 squash.
Went to business meeting at church and was informed we will be merging with another Church in the town about 10 miles up the road. Hah! Not sure if I will hang around until they move or shut the doors or just go on to the Church I believe I will go to.

Walked first yesterday and today. Found a tiny feral Siamese kitten next door on doorstep, this morning. Neighbor is in New Orleans. Let him know and called animal shelter and PALS rescue. No one will take it. I have a friend that takes in ferals so I will take it over to him later this afternoon and hope he is overcome with it's cuteness!
Anyway, came home and walked dogs.
Shoveled out gutter across the street again.
Took Ebay photos.
Waiting on a fellow to come replace two faucets for us--we already bought them.
Still need to cut up a watermelon, but that will wait until handyman leaves.
Bible study tonight.

• Like 3

Momo, I know how it is with your DH. I was cleaning out a closet that had boxes in it and found my DH's hats he always wore when working in yard. Not a good day. Miss him terrible.  Break downs seem to always come in 3's. That's how it always happens here. And now getting help to get things fixed or repaired takes forever. 

Miki, nice jars of food. I need to get my dehydrator out as I am not getting enough food from garden to can this year. Tomatoes will be the only thing. Need to get a bushel of corn to dehydrate and for the soups as well. 

Jeepers, the car is overflowing. No car seat going in that car.  Seeing that makes me not want to ever move. Too much food and other things to pack up for that. 

Miki, sorry to hear about your church. Seems a lot of churches are struggling now. We are getting a new preacher as we haven't had a regular preacher in a long while. Just hope he will be a good one. He did preach last Sunday but by being the only time I heard him preach, it's hard to say how he will be. Mostly talked about growing the church. It is a small neighborhood church and the neighborhood like mine has had all the kids grow up and move away. My neighborhood is filling up with kids again after a good 10-year span or more. So, growing the church will be a long haul. Mostly elderly now in our church. But will see what happens.  We are voting on this preacher this Sunday rather to hire him or not. That will be hard with only meeting him once and only hearing him preach once. 

This morning I went to store to pick up a few things then came home and checked the garden.  One squash, 1 zucchini, 3 cucumbers, and a hand full of butter beans and green beans. Not much but with what I have already picked, I will just cook up for dinner tomorrow as GS is off and he can help eat it. Seems Fri. and Sat. are the only 2 days we can sit down and have a meal together. He is starting to turn his act around and is improving on his altitude much better. I have learned when he first wakes up in morning, he doesn't want to talk at all. But I do say hello and he will speak a little before heading to work. But when he gets home, he wants to talk. He is helping around house a bit during week but with work it's not much. That is one demanding and hard job, but he loves it. Getting his bills paid off now as well. 

• Like 3

I am so glad to see the corn pictures.  This country really needs a bumper crop this year.

I was hoping the mower was a minor fix but I wasn't lucky. Dog gone it!

I feel for you Littlesister.  There are constant bittersweet reminders of my baby.

• Like 4

I'm sorry that your mower fix will be more involved than you hoped, @Momo!  I hope it is finished soon.

The fellow that takes in feral kittens took the tiny one I found yesterday. That's good news!

Already walked this morning.
Will be out of town today and tomorrow with my friend.
See you all Sunday. I hope everyone has a good weekend!

• Like 3

Enjoy your time off Miki glad you found someone to take in the kitten. I'm a sucker for baby animals it wouldn't have gone anywhere if I'd found it LOL. 

Jeepers cool cloud!

Momo sorry about your mower seems like everything this day keeps breaking and is expensive to fix.

Littlesister glad you're getting food from your garden and grandson is doing better with the bedroom to have personal space. Living with extended family can be challenging.

Really not much to report on my end today just worked. Will go to sewing group tomorrow and Lowe's to buy lightbulbs. I have such a wild exciting life :happy0203:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

glad you found someone to take in the kitten.

I really had to find it a home.  We haven't been able to replace the living room sheer curtains from the last cat.  And I would like to put up a Christmas tree this year.  LOL

The exciting life we all lead is the good life @Becca_Anne!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

Church first this morning and then walk dogs.
Need to harvest in garden. Some of the okra is looking a little too big.
I was given and blanched a head of cauliflower yesterday. Today, will make mock potato salad.
DH opened some plain squash that I canned thinking they were pickles. I will make a ham, cheese, squash casserole for dinner.
Cut up a watermelon.
Make Eggplant lasagna to freeze.
I think I will have to water garden tonight.

• Like 2

Miki sounds like your garden is doing really well!

My morning we went to Lowe's to go pick up lightbulbs so exciting I know LOL. Then went to the countertop section and got an estimate/in the system to order the countertops. I actually picked a different granite than I was thinking, a slightly warmer one that has some browns mixed into it. With the warm woods I thought the other one I thought I wanted would look too grey. It was less than we expected it to cost too so that was a plus. Then I came home and ordered the flush mount fan to install over my stove. I don't have a cabinet over where the stove will go and didn't want a big bulky thing there so I think what I decided on will work really nicely. It won't be delivered until the end of August but not required to add it at the same time as the rest of it. That takes care of the last item I had on my list that was needed for the kitchen. This afternoon I'm off to book group. 

• Like 3

Miki said she went to church this morning and I had to look at the calendar. I thought sure it was Saturday. Where is the time going?!

Then again I was flat on my back for the last two days. I have that blasted sciatica nerve acting up in my back again. It's usually on one side or the other but this time it's alternating back and forth. Advil helps but this time it wears off in about 2 hours. That's a new one for me. My knees ache again too. I looked out the window awhile ago and It's pouring down rain. I'm thinking that is the culprit.  Sigh

• Sad 5

I hope it does fit Jeepers! There are always so many factors to consider in making a kitchen workable. I'm hoping the layout I designed really works as well as I hope, but won't really know until I'm using the new space and decide where everything "lives" Hope your back is feeling better soon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Jeepers, I would have to change something if my canners wouldn't fit!  Not sure what, but something.

Will walk in a few minutes.
Handyman coming to change out DH's bathroom faucet.
Will do 2 loads of laundry.
Cut up carrots for dog treats.
Make a ham and squash casserole.
Make eggplant lasagna.
Water garden tonight if it doesn't rain.
Should be a nice inside day!

• Like 3

You've got that right Miki. That big microwave will have to go. It will have to get changed out for a smaller one if the canner won't fit under it! Priorities.  I really don't have any more room for a counter top one.

Worse comes worse, in the mean time get a camp stove for the garage. I've been wanting one anyway. 

• Like 2