MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

That is such a good deal on meat, Annarchy!

I hope you stay cool enough going through your rooms, Jeepers.  I hate doing that!

Already walked and watered garden.
Already started laundry.
May hit Dollar General for a couple of items.
Have some business calls to make.
Will water again tonight.
Really easy Monday!

Maybe I should go help Jeepers!  :cheer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Trying to deal with some frustrating bank issues. Saturday I ordered $5 worth of seeds from an Etsy shop...lots of sales and good reviews. Sunday morning I got a call from my credit unions fraud department saying there had been a bunch of charges to my card. When I checked my account I saw a five dollar charge right now after the Etsy shop charge for some group in New York City. I told the person when I was on the phone that I didn’t make that charge and she said that there were 17 more charges after that for walmart.com and one for some online teaching program. My credit union shut my card down after the fifth walmart.com charge. But almost $500 worth of charges went through. I’m hot! They told me the likelihood is that it happened with this person from this Etsy shop because those charges were in Arkansas… And guess where that Etsy shop is located? The crazy thing is I don’t see any of those charges when I looked in my account online. The fraud department said that some people have ways to block charges so it doesn’t show up on your account and you don’t know it’s happening. I went to my credit union this morning to deal with this because my card is now shut off and they were closed because of the Juneteenth holiday. So now I can’t even get into my ATM if I wanted to… I don’t need to because I have plenty of cash but it’s just annoying to think that I can’t access my money at all. I’m fortunate that my credit union will let me dispute the charges… The likelihood is I won’t have to pay for them. But I’m still so ticked off that this person stole from me...

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Miki. DH is now walking 2 miles a day....shaming me....  Geeze... with all the house work, gardening, and other stuff I do... my tracker says 1-2 miles a day..... either way, MIL says house work and walking around the house "doesn't count"?!?  Sigh...  Ok, time to try to walk a block or two.... but it hurts my back....  :imoksmiley:

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Miki, seeing you at my front door would be a sight for sore eyes!!!  :hapydancsmil:

Then I'd get over myself and put you right to work. :008Laughing:

Dogmom, a liar and a thief are the two things that will make me mad quicker than anything. Hope your bank gets it straightened out fast. And I hope these 90 degree days we have been having seem chilly compared to the temperature the $%&# get to endure some day. 

Annarchy, that is an awesome amount of meat you are storing away! Good for you and hubby. And any movement you make counts regardless of where it's at. :pout:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is a possibility it will hit 106° today so I’m getting everything done that requires electricity just in case we have rolling blackouts.... that means laundry all caught up, dinner prepared early and dishwasher run. I also have the house opened up with all fans running to push out the warm air and bring in the cooler outside air. Will probably close it back up around 9am.

• Like 6
On 6/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, dogmom4 said:

They told me the likelihood is that it happened with this person from this Etsy shop because those charges were in Arkansas… And guess where that Etsy shop is located? The crazy thing is I don’t see any of those charges when I looked in my account online.

Part of the purpose of sites like Etsy is that the individual sellers should never have your actual credit card info.  If that's what caused it, there's a massive failure somewhere.  I believe that Walmart's HQ is in Arkansas, so that's where the charges show regardless of where they've submitted from.

• Like 5

So busy today! Watered garden first and then walked.
Walked dogs.
Made beef and broccoli (but with venison) in instant pot.
Pressure canned little smokies in BBQ sauce I made from leftover Candied jalapeno juice.  Not an approved process and no recipe shown.
Shredded cheese.
Went on the new bookkeeping app (go daddy retired their site) and discovered I really dislike it, so will be changing that soon.
Harvested in garden and shored up some tomatoes.
Still have to water again tonight.

• Like 3

That's why I have one credit card that I use for online purchases only with a low credit line. The card never leaves the house. Online only. One time I had a charge on the card from The Golden Hands 'Massage' Parlor.  It was in Akron, Ohio so theoretically I could have made the charge since Akron is only about 45 minutes from me. But I assure you I  didn't!  It was about 10 years ago but if I remember correctly it was after an Etsy purchase too!

I didn't know about a Wal-Mart purchase showing up as being from Arkansas. Good to know. I rarely get scammed but with these times being so hard it won't surprise me to see more of it happening. Lots of people don't check their statement. They just pay it every month. It's easy to slip in a $10.00-$20.00 charge here and there. We (speaking for myself) need to start being more careful and watching where all of our money is going.

Hope you, Dogmom, are staying safe in this heat and everyone else too! Good plan getting chores done before or after the heat of the day, A blackout would be killer...literally. It was back in the 90's here again today. I can't imagine triple digits. I'd probably spend most of my time lying in a bath tub of cool water.   :bathbaby: 

• Like 5

I got the banking issue taken care of. There was only one charge that totally went through...so whoever did this didn’t actually get anything from this. The bank manager did say that she had dealt almost a dozen other members who also had attempted hacks on their accounts....and that Walmart.com is a one of the main sites being used. Not just at my bank either...

• Like 6

Glad you got your bank straightened out without having to pay big charges, dogmom!

I have a 3 month doc appt. at 8:30 this morning and then do a little shopping. Walmart and local grocery, then thrift stores. DH has an audiology appt. later.
Going to dig up a few potatoes this afternoon.
Bible study tonight at 6:30.

No walk or dog walk today! Too hot when I get back. Upper 90's here until Monday.

• Like 4

I’m heading in early to help walk dogs at my local shelter to help get them out before it gets too hot. It didn’t really cool down last night....it’s 6:30 am and already 75 degrees. Today the high is supposed to be 100. 
Will be doing the same as yesterday...get outside things done early then have a pile of papers to go through this afternoon.

• Like 5

Husband and kids went to summer camp.  Husband and kids came back with COVID.  So, now we're all quarantined.  Blargh.

Mostly minor symptoms and sleepy.  I'm still testing negative, temp & O2 are fine.

Edited by TheCG
  • Sad 7

Jeepers loving the freezer. It's 17 cubic feet the biggest that would fit through the narrow doorway (28 3/4"). I've started filling it but will take me awhile. Put my big bag of flour in it to kill off any bugs.

Have been out of the loop as my husband ended up in the hospital over the weekend with an attack of diverticulitis. He's fine now feeling much better on oral antibiotics now, and only needed to be there for IV antibiotics. So I haven't got much done this week other than work. 

Electricians still haven't come back after their latest break, their forman's kid was sick so I'm guessing maybe they he has gotten sick too but no further communication. At this rate I'll be lucky if they finish before August... and still no cabinets, sigh

• Sad 4

Glad you love your new freezer! I was pretty sure you would. :D  I'm starting to have a funny feeling about getting mine. No particular reason. Just the way things work these days. I certainly gave them enough time. A month past the first possible delivery date. Maybe they have sold 'my' freezer a couple of times over by now.  Sigh, I'm just borrowing trouble. 

Sorry about your electricians not showing up. It seems to be standard operating procedure now. People are so eager for you to hire them and then they forget about you. Hope my garage door people show up on the 1st.   :unsure:

Glad your husband is feeling better! I've heard that is very painful.:(

TheCG, that sucks. Hope the cooties stay far away from you. Far far away.  :animal0017:

• Like 3

Already walked and will walk dogs next.
Need to harvest in garden and dig those potatoes that I didn't get to yesterday.
Will switch my bookkeeping app today and read Bible Study for tonight at 5:45.
Water garden.

Found out last night that we have company coming Saturday afternoon for a short visit.  Should be fun!

• Like 5

It has been a busy week.  I had my final occupational therapy appointments and have been discharged from there and the doctor.   I'm supposed to continue to work on activities at home.   Did STEM activities with DD14 and we are growing crystal geodes and sorting rocks this week.  Got the downstairs housework mostly caught up and did a lot of cooking.   

Someone left the freezer open a tad and the top shelf started to thaw so we had a lot of meals from that.  I ground up a roast and made chili with ghost, reaper, and scorpion peppers we had frozen.   Sent it to DH's work for them to enjoy and froze the rest in smaller containers of 2 servings each so DH has some lunch options for later in the summer.  

We ground up 2 packs of chicken and made chicken kotletki and DD14 says that is her new favorite dish.   Not a huge fan of the green borscht we made with it though.  She made a late night dessert fancy pudding sundae thing.   Summertime is fun time.  

20220621_193432.jpg

20220621_181947.jpg

• Like 6

Lawsy, that is drool worthy!  :yum3:  I couldn't do the hot stuff though. I can just barely tolerate Mild Taco Bell sauce.  :rolleyes:

I'm going to look into getting some sort of freezer lock. Since it will be in the garage, a door ajar will be easy to miss. Especially with a little one running around out there. It doesn't even have to really lock. Just something to keep the door from coming open. 

• Like 4

We dubbed it Redhead Chili because it was hot and would burn your behind if you had a lot.  One of DH's co-workers if from Nigeria and they grow a lot of hot peppers.   That is where we get them.  

Dh and I were both very redheaded before the grey kicked in.  3 of the girls are strawberry blonde.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looks like a delicious bunch of goodies there <3 

I can't wait until I have my new kitchen in and space to cook for real! I am just in survival mode as far as cooking. Make something simple. Tomorrow it will be curry chicken with Blue Elephant Curry sauce. I adore curry. I want to get a watermelon and corn on the cob soon and do a cookout on our outdoor grill this weekend. I am itching to be on my vacation but that doesn't start until next Wednesday. It is much needed and honestly I'm wishing I had started it today!

• Like 4

Have fun when your vacation finally does start Becca Anne!

That dessert looks great Euphrasyne!  It all does but I'm a sugar addict.  

Walked first this morning.
Did the "Company is coming" cleaning again. Extended family stopping on their way to vacation in FL--just for pizza and a visit.
Went to lunch with Sunday School ladies.
Started applying for SS online but stopped for today as I have a question for accountant. Will continue Monday.
Still have to water garden this evening.
100 degrees right now not including heat index.

• Like 6

Euphresyne, the food looks great, though I can't do the hot stuff. But desert I can go for. Love sweets but have to be careful with being diabetic.  The hotdog rolls look yummy also. 

TheCG. Hope you and your family are doing much better from covid. :pray: that you are all doing much better and that you didn't get it. 

Dogmom4, I have used Etsy many times with no issues. Sorry, that happened to you. I do know that sometimes you can get a page that looks legit but is not the page but a fake one. That happened to me once before. So, you think you are ordering from a company and the page you are on is a fake. Therefore, they steal your card number and have a field day. It is very hard to tell the fake page from the real page you are ordering from. 

Becca Anne, glad you got your freezer in that small door, and it is working out well for you. Hoping your DH is doing much better.  Sorry to hear you are on hold getting your house together as well. It seems that is a huge problem with getting anything done any longer. Been 5 months for me and going on 6 months now. Not easy when you have to have your whole house torn up for that long and can't find or get to anything. 

Been a busy few days. After going after the construction owner, he started sending people back over after 3 weeks of nothing being done. So it is starting to come to an end, except for fireplace. He finally sent the chimney people out to see what had to be done. So just setting up a time to get stove installed now. But instead of him ordering the fire pad that goes under the stove that I picked out and thought he ordered a month ago. He just ordered and it won't be here for at least 30 days. He should have ordered it a month ago. But this is how it is with him. He waits till the last minute to get things ordered and then it is the waiting game to get things done again. So it will more than likely take another 2 or 3 months to complete the fireplace. But at least that won't keep me from getting the house back together.  Also found out today that my dressers that I have been waiting on for over a year is at the dock and there is a delay in getting them on truck and getting them to the store for delivery to me. I am over the wait on the furniture. 

contractor didn't come out till 2:30 today, so went out and got garden weeded this morning. Still a bit wet but dry enough I could get it done. Green beans are just starting and the Roma tomatoes are loaded but not ripe. cherry tomatoes are just starting to turn, and the big boy tomatoes are full now but not ripe yet. So won't be too much longer before I will be doing canning again. Butter beans are in bloom but not sure if they will produce as after the raised bed box fell apart and they were well established at the time and then replanted, not sure if I will get much off of them or not. The box the green beans are in is starting to come apart as well, but the construction guys saw it and fixed it temporary so it will at least hold up till beans are done and I can later remove the soil and redo it. Don't think I will buy anymore raised bed boxes from Tractor Supply. The type of wood and the screws are horrible. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I ran some errands today. Not going out and about is starting to take effect. I don't remember the last time I spent the day out. When I got in the Jeep I looked at the gas gauge and it was still topped off.  :o

I went clear across town to make a donation to the Salvation Army. I had a bunch of stuff. The donation part of the building was closed. Don't know why. I've never seen that before. The store part was open. I had 2 bags of trash with me and donated them to a friends dumpster so the trip wasn't a total loss. I wouldn't have driven over there just for that though. But the Goodwill was open so they got my loot. 

I went to The Dollar Tree. Boy has ours gone to pot. I picked up a couple of things like name tags for a garden and a few things like that. And some sunflower seeds for some salads. I did get a nice thick square drinking glass that I plan to put straws in. What I really went for was some gift wrap. They had very few rolls and it looked awful. There was only one person working in the whole store. The checkout line was long. Oh, and they had no tea lite candles and the 'Jesus' candles were the thinnest candles I've ever seen. They looked about 2" across if that. No big boxes of matches and no salt/pepper shakers.

I swung by the grocery store. I picked up mostly cold stuff and fruit. I got to the checkout and realized I forgot my bags. I hate that rule. I think it should be optional for people who really forget their bags. I've heard some people say they brought their bags but left them in the car. It isn't like the cashier is going to wait and hold up the line while someone jogs out to their car for a bag. So, since I had a bunch of cold stuff I went ahead and bought one more bag.  They are the only ones in this area to charge for bags. They had better take heed. :pout:  I found out G-son likes the original Kraft mac and cheese dinners in the box. They had it for $1.00 a box. Cheaper than Dollar Trees $1.25. I ended up with a dozen boxes. Saved $3.00. 

The ATM drive up, in an open parking lot, that I use is now gone. I'm going to miss it. It was so safe to use. I had to use the one at the bank where you are trapped in behind the building. I'll only use it now when the bank is open for a little bit of security. 

Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm really not. I got a lot done actually. I can finish up at Meijers tomorrow. I'm off to enjoy some watermelon and burn some CD's that I've been putting off doing so I can pitch a bunch of old cassettes. Son gave me the go ahead to get rid of a bunch of his cassettes and CD's so I'm going to strike while the iron is hot. He has them all on an MP3 anyway. 

Stay safe this weekend! Since the Roe V Wade verdict came down look for some riots.  Head on a swivel out there. 

BTW. If anyone is wondering, 'Head On A Swivel' is an old military term that means to keep aware of your surroundings when you are out in public by turning your head from left to right and around so you can watch who and what is going on around you. 

• Like 4