MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Yum looks delicious Euphrasyne! I think we made spoon bread by accident cooking at high altitude when I was a kid LOL. We never did figure out why the cornbread was creamy like that but it came out consistently that way when we baked it in the Rockies. I'll have to look up some recepies and try them to see if I can re-create it. We really liked it.

• Like 2

That looks soooo good!  I love Asian food of any kind, but it does not agree with Mary.  I imagine her rolled steak started out as rouladen, as her mother was an excellent German cook, but due to dietary restrictions she tweaked it to make is something her family would more easily eat.  She used chopped onions and bacon as a filling.  All the other family members liked that combo best.  Then the stuffing thing started, which even those on a low fat diet could eat.  Sooo I learned stuffing.  I personally think wild rice would be good too, but its kinda expensive right now.  

Another thing Marys mom was was a "country" cook.  Boiled tongue, gizzards in gravy, liver, oxtails, home-stuffed sausage, creamed kohlrabi, and home made kraut....all that old timey stuff was well known to her.  We have her recipes and they are great. (Mary says no brains though....her father ate them but she never got past the yuck factor.  Kinda like me and limburger cheese, LOL.)

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
On 6/2/2022 at 3:05 PM, kappydell said:

Mary showed me the other day how her mother would stuff thin cut round steaks, roll them up and braise them.  They cook quite fast and stretch the meat, but are so festive they were relished by both of us.  We have had stuffed steaks, I did a pork tenderloin (butterflying it flat, then rolling and stuffing...wow!) and even some of those bulk chicken breasts.  I have plans to do the ham & swiss stuffed breasts soon - cant recall what fancy name they go by but they sould great, alongside some fresh picked broccoli spears.

When you flatten meat, fill it, and roll it up, it is called a "Roulade."

A roulade is a dish of filled rolled meat or pastry. Roulade can be savory or sweet. Traditionally found in various European cuisines, the term roulade originates from the French word rouler, meaning "to roll".

• Like 2
On 6/2/2022 at 3:05 PM, kappydell said:

ham & swiss stuffed breasts

It's called "Chicken Cordon Bleu"

Here is a link to a Betty Crocker recipe: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/oven-chicken-cordon-bleu/5066fc84-8b5b-4775-8d20-70eece278cf6

Or, perhaps you have one of the old time pink & white checkered 3 ring binder Homes and Gardens recipe books?

Crime Line: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (Edition 11) (Paperback)  - Walmart.com

• Like 4

Yep, I have one of those checkered cookboks in my collection.  They are American classics.  The New Settlement cookbook is wonderful for the German specialities too, expecially the older versions.  Kuchen, Scnecken, Sauerbraten, and one of my favorites because it holds up in a slow cooker where noodles will not....spaetzle!    Now I will dream about food all night, LOL.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have the 1981 version, also.  Use it regularly!

Already walked and fed dogs.
Next, will walk dogs.
Take a few family photos for next year's calendar.
Walmart for a couple of things and then Chinese Restaurant for lunch.
Probably pick more blackberries this afternoon.

• Like 3

I love the better homes and gardens cookbook.  I ring bound 1976 edition.  It is very well used.  I had a 10th edition, but my 1st husband kept it in the divorce to be an (insert mean word.)  I currently have a 12th edition also.   I LOVE cookbooks! 

20220604_110307.jpg

20220604_105641.jpg

20220604_105659.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4

Good afternoon!

I have been a pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to visit. I was determined to change that TODAY!

Today is dedicated to tying up loose ends and clearing some clutter...both mental and physical debris.

I have been straightening out some household paperwork, doing laundry and attempting to clean up some places that we've (hubby) has allowed to accumulate inappropriate items. If anyone is looking for the weedwhacker...it is in the dining room next to the fireplace. :tapfoot:

I have other work that I should be doing today, but I can't stand the visual clutter. We do have beautiful weather today and I plan to run up to the hospital to visit mom a little later. I also need to make a run to the grocery store. I really should have done that earlier in the week. Shelves are generally picked over by the time that the weekend arrives.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 5

I also have that cookbook. Love it. Though off top of my head I don't know what year it is. All books are packed up right now. I also have the Joy of cooking cookbook. That was DH's favorite one. I have one that was passed down from my grandmother. The Boston cookbook. Lots of use out of that one. 

Been trying to go through a few things today trying to figure out what I can get put away without it being in the way of the construction work. Working on how the fireplace is going to be done and NO it will not be how he wants it done. He has a way of changing things and I have to watch him closely. I don't want things changed up without being asked. Going to try to get some of my books on shelves in den. I figure I could try to get that much done. And maybe my collection of old salts nautical stuff on there as well. Might have to dust a hundred times from the workers being in and out but at least they will be where they should be and out of dining room. Can't even see the table in there. Going to try to get the spices unpacked as well and start going through those and getting them back into the cabinet.  Got blinds up in bedroom and one curtain rod so far. I did put the curtains up on patio door but will have to take those down before construction people get here. Whenever that will be again. But at least being on a corner lot no one can see in house at night. Just working out some plans on arranging furniture after everything is done and how I am going to turn living room into a sewing room/office/and craft room. Don't need a formal living room that will never get used. So now is the time to make that a useful, productive room that I can use. At least as soon as I can get the front bedroom set up for grandson. Right now, it is his bedroom. I am thinking if I don't hear from the construction people by next Wed. I am going to be on the phone. I don't need this drug out all summer. It has been going on since the beginning of Jan. and now here it is June. :gaah:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Every one in a while among all the hustle bustle we get an "AWWWW" moment.  Yesterday evening we met a new neighbor.  She and her husband had bought the house on the other corner from us, one that we had looked at while shopping for a place to live.  In her hands she held an itty bitty kitten.  She had fouhd him in the middle of the road, and asked if it was ours.  It wasnt, but we said we could take care of it as we had 3 nursing mama cats who would not mind an extra baby (we hoped).  

It was almost the same size as mama Shamrock's babies, so we put it down near her.  She immediately began to nuzzle and lick it, as if checking it over for owies.

(First "AWWW").  Little Buddy was big enough to eat wet cat food alongside Shamrock and her babies, and just before bed we spotted her cuddling and nursing him. ("AWWW" and sigh of relief!)  So now we have a foster kitten.  We have not seen any others, nor any mama come looking for him.  Did he wander off?  Was he tossed out of a car near the "cat ladies" house?  Did mama get killed by a car?  Who knows.  All we care is that he is now no longer crying and wandering around, but is cuddled by a foster mom, is well fed, and has 3 new playmates.  And yes, he cuddles us, too.  Something kind of special about a kitten falling asleep in your lap.  AWWWW.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

Have fun with your new little kitty, Kappy!

Good morning! Already set up my vitamins for the next month.
Having a homegrown tomato sandwich for breakfast!
Will be off to Sunday School and Church.
Will dehydrate squash this afternoon.
Make some bread and butter squash pickles--open kettle.
Wrap up jars of blueberry butter and Dilly beans for daughter to take home.
Walk dogs.
Water garden.

• Like 3

Kappy so glad you had a willing mama cat to foster the baby kitty. 

I was having a productive weekend, but no luck with the table I wanted to buy as it was just a bit too large for the space I want to put it, but did get to see what that shop had for future reference. Then I pulled ivy for an hour or so, and then today I manage to wrench my back doing of all things reaching for a pair of scissors off my husbands desk. Sigh guess all the ivy pulling had my back tight and that just pushed me over the edge. It's not awful just enough to be annoying so hopefully will be right as rain soon. In the mean time I'm purging paper from the file boxes as I unpack them. I still have way too much paper even after purging bags worth before the move. I swear the stuff multiplies when your back is turned :happy0203:

This week my goal is to get my sweet potato slips planted, have to make a bed for them but half tempted to just buy bags of soil and lay them on the ground and just plant in them since they need hills anyhow and I haven't tilled a space for them yet. We'll see how my back recovers.

• Like 4

Cookbooks… reminded me of my grandmother’s cookbook.  Mom got it & gave it to me, in the 1970’s.  I did an internet search, found it, I think.  It’s “The Household Searchlight Recipe Book”. Looking at the books on-line, (vintage), it appears to be the 1939 publication.  Mine is missing the publishers page & the last page of the index.  The 1940 version had oranged highlighted “The Searchlight Magazine “ on the back stem/binding.   I’ve used it, constantly throughout the years.  Found newspaper clippings in it that I don’t want to touch, yellow/brown from ages past.  Lol. Plus, found old canning instructions I had put in, as bookmarks, from the 1970’s when I was first canning on my own.  Lol. 

Browsed through it, probably going to use a bunch of the recipes, due to DH’s ‘low fat’ healthy diet.  :shakinghead:

• Like 3

Annarchy, I too have a Searchlight cookbook!  My mother told me when I was a child that she wanted one because HER mother had one.  So when I found one in an antique store I got it for her.  After she died, I got it b back and it is a great cookbook!  

• Like 2

I pared down my cookbooks quite a bit. at One time I had the Better Homes and Gardens one. I still have their baking book it's really fabulous. In my new kitchen I'll have two bookshelves to put them on so looking forward to being able to organize them more and see what I still have. Will probably see if I can find a replacement for the Better Homes and Gardens one. 

• Like 2

Getting ready to unpack my cookbooks shortly. I need my canning books out of storage.  Going to get things back in the den bookcase. I think the dust has settled enough to be able to get some things put away but still can't get the bedroom fully back together. And I am still waiting on my dressers should be about 3 more weeks and if not, I will council and go to another furniture store in hopes to find something I can get now instead of over a year's wait.  Going to try to start the canning tomorrow. I have the jars out and just need to get them in dishwasher. Then will be going through the freezer later this afternoon to pull the beef out to thaw in fridge overnight. Decided to hold off on the turkeys for now. Need to empty the big chest freezer first.

Just checked on Thriftbooks.com.  You can buy the Searchlight book on there. They have several different ones. All used but most in great shape. I have ordered from there before and the books were all in excellent condition. It tells you if the books are new, great condition, good condition, fair condition etc. Might get one to try out. Though I did cut back on my cookbooks as I gave a bunch to goodwill that I never use.  Just keeping the ones I do use. 

• Like 2

Walked first and Walked dogs.
Made bread&butter squash pickles.
Waiting to take visiting family to train. They are heading home.
Put flea meds on dogs.
Going to weed and water later.

• Like 2

I walked first this morning.
Took DH to go vote.
Weeded in garden for half an hour--Not too long, getting up to 93 or so today. picked the veggies that needed picking.
Did four loads of laundry--last one in washer now
Filled dehydrator with squash.
Will water garden this evening and rest.

Our family/ company left at 3:30 yesterday. It's really quiet here today!

• Like 3

Been canning beef today. Finally got some of it done but a long way to go. Freezer is still full. Didn't put a dent in it yet.  17 pints of beef all sealed. Tried to send pictures over but for some reason it won't let me. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Guess I will get it figured out. Was trying to put pictures under what are you canning today. I will move them and see what happens from there.

• Like 3

That's great Littlesister feels good doesn't it to get that much canned.

Miki sounds like you had a productive day!
I didn't get much done my back is still out, but freezer will be delivered finally on Thursday and the electricians are coming back tomorrow to hopefully resume rewiring my house. I will be so glad when that's done! The progress is so incremental but every inch closer is still closer!

• Like 3

I hope you can get work resumed on your house, Becca!

And I'm glad you finally got to start canning again, Littlesister!

Already walked and walked dogs.
Been to local grocery for a sale and Post Office.
Put away Squash pickles and froze some ripening tomatoes. Squash still in dehydrator.
Working on switching bookkeeping apps as the current one is retiring it's website.
Will do ebay photos.
Weed a little and water garden and roses tonight.

• Like 1

I finally got home yesterday. It was a long trip for me this time. Five days is usually my limit before I need to get back and pay bills etc. I forgot and left my Kindle Fire over there and my cell phone charger. I went to Wal-Mart for a charger and they were sold out. Went to Verizon and they sold the wrong one to me. Another trip back today and I got the right one. I don't use the phone but I want it charged up for the next trip. So now I guess I have two. 

I did get a few things done over there. And some things I didn't. Par for the course. I got the locks changed to fit all one key except for the front door. That would have cost a fortune to fix because it is sort of like a designer lock. Not really but not like the other normal locks. I won't be using the front door that often anyway. The two garage doors, back door and entry from the garage is all one key now. I didn't notice it but the knob from the garage to the house was like a closet door knob with no key access. Sheesh. So he put a new door knob on that. And the face plate on all of the dead bolts were upside down. Didn't bother me but drove the locksmith crazy.  LOL  So he changed them too. We bonded over old 60's muscle cars and the Rolling Stones and Beatles. He did all of that work and gave me a senior discount (yes, I played my S card again) for $100.00. I slipped him cash and we were both happy. 

I bought the garage door opener I wanted. Sort of. The one I picked out is a 1  1/2 horse power. I asked if they had the same thing in a 1HP opener. They did but it was a lot more expensive. That was odd. The one on there now is a 1/2hp but it struggles. So that door will fly open with the 1  1/2 number on it. It will have a keyless entry so with the lock changes and the keyless thingy, I feel pretty secure that I won't get locked out. That was a fear of mine living in the country alone. Even with neighbors next door, I don't know son and DIL phone numbers. Oh, and it came with a battery powered back up box where if the electricity goes off it will still open the garage door! Who knew. The only down side is getting it installed. I'm still waiting for them to call. :rolleyes: But at least I brought the unit home with me. 

I got all of the food and shelves carried in from the Jeep and garage. I think one more load of food storage from here and I'll have it all moved over. I couldn't believe how heavy a 6 pack case of 1/2 gallon jars of dehydrated food was!  I had bought a shelf for water bottles on Amazon and got it put together. Super easy to assemble and made of metal. It seems nice. I put it in the pantry room but I'm still thinking about it. Hoping the bottles won't leak and hoping the weight won't be too much for the floor. Still not sure. AmazonSmile: LIANTRAL 5 Gallon Water Jug Holder Water Bottle Storage Rack, 5 Tiers, Black: Home & Kitchen

I didn't get any of the drywall repaired. In my defense I need a taller ladder. Same excuse for not changing out the glass light bulb covers on the ceiling fan in the bedroom. Too short. Both me and the ladder.

Next trip will be to start drywall repair and to buy a taller ladder. Do the rest of weed patrol and get the garage door opener installed and finish clearing out the garage. And hopefully get a freezer delivered. 

I did get a lot of the weeds pulled in the front of the house though. I still need to do the side of the house and the back. A TON of thistles!  The pump in the front is a fake. I want it removed but it's bolted down. Will have to hire that done. I forgot about taking pictures until I was already well into the project. 

Before

image.jpeg    image.jpeg    image.jpeg

After

image.jpeg     image.jpeg     image.jpeg

• Like 9