MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Bought a Nesco for $12 at our friend's garage sale. He cleans out houses after foreclosures and stores everything in a huge barn until his yearly garage sale. It was my first garage sale buying trip with my dear SIL. We laughed and laughed and bought a bunch of things for her new RV. She talked me into buying the Nesco and cooking up those seven rabbits in my freezer. Easy Peasy.  :whistling:

Now I need to find a storage spot for that revved up slow cooker. :laughkick:

• Like 8

Thanks Miki that recipe looks delicious. I had a fun day today and went antiquing with my new friend. We went to about 7 different shops and I got a good idea about what types of things they all carry. I found a lovely end table that came home with me. Also found out one of my trees is a mulberry tree. I've never seen a weeping one before. Had to cut it back from the sidewalk today. My new freezer comes on Tuesday so I'll be sure to pick and freeze some to make jam and pie :cook:

• Like 6

Becca_Anne, what kind of freezer did you get? I'm in the market for one too. I just need to plan far enough ahead of time to be in Indiana to get one delivered over there. I wish I was as out-going as you are! I have social anxiety which keeps me shy around new people. Some people find it hard to believe I'm really very shy around new people and I hate social situations. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Funny story about that Jeepers I'm not sure yet which one I will end up with. They are bringing it on Tuesday so I'll find out. We have a very narrow doorframe to fit it through so we asked them to see if the Midea convertible freezer/fridge one will fit and they were going to bring that one if it fits through the 28 3/4" doorway or the Frigidare if it's too wide. I understand about the anxiety I deal with that too but I'm getting better about pushing myself to make conversation with people I don't know and it's gotten easier for me over the years.

• Like 3

Hee-Hee. Any freezer is better than none!

I can talk to strangers just fine. I guess it's just staying engaged with them I have trouble with. I blame my Ex, of course. We used to have to go to a lot of business dinners. I hated them because I didn't know anyone there. The other women knew each from different offices. We would walk in and he would go off with the guys to talk business and there I'd sit. It seemed like it was always a different group of people. There was always entertainment and they would go dance with their husbands and there I'd still be sitting. Every. Time. Sometimes he'd comment on my hair or what I was wearing. Sometimes he'd prompt me on what to say and to whom. Dang, I became a nervous wreck just thinking about another function I had to attend. He made me self conscious. I don't miss those days at all. I guess I'm anxious when I'm by myself in a crowd. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

My DH does something similar at the office christmas party every year.   He goes off with the 'guys' and I get stuck at the 'reject table.'   Every one of us feels the same.   We are the wives/girlfriends who don't fit into any other clique and we are all just trying to prop each other up awkwardly at the table way in the back off to the side.   *note I am not calling anyone else a reject other than myself.   Its just a reflection of how I feel about myself.  

• Like 6

Just hanging out today. I got most of the Jeep loaded up for a trip to Indy later in the week or next. Hopefully I can get a new garage door opener on this trip. I got one all picked out and hopefully it will still be in stock when I get there.  

I found 6 pretty nice containers that I forgot I had. I had 10 pounds of flour that I put in them. It didn't even fill up one. So, I ran to the store and got 25 more pounds. That topped off the 2 big ones and 2 of the medium size ones. I still have 2 more of the medium size containers They will probably take another 10 pounds. I'll get that another time. When it's all said and done I have around 50 pounds of flour in the pantry plus what I have in two buckets. I'm happy with that. Topping off some more sugar is next on my agenda. Will wait til my next S.S. check for that. :sigh:

While I was out I took some more broken down boxes and papers to the recycle bin. They don't take up too much room but it's always nice to get rid of it. 

Tip of the day... if you want a cheap French manicure just dip your fingers in some flour. Does a nice job whitening your nail tips. Just sayin' And don't get your hands wet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Made macaroni and cheese with one of the twins this weekend.  It was kind of a production, but she did the white sauce pretty much by herself this time.  Repetition, repetition, repetition--that's the key.

A friend of mine got adopted by a stray cockerel.  She called me to ask what he might want to eat.  As in, what she might have on hand and be willing to hand over.  We settled on lettuce leaves and uncooked grits for the evening, and today she went looking for mash.  Her neighborhood allows chickens but would have fits if any weeds grew up from stray birdseed/scratchfeed in the lawn.  I told her she could always toast any seed before feeding it to him, to make sure it won't sprout, but that is a little bit of a bother.

• Like 4

Office parties are the worst. Thankfully since I work remotely not likely to go to one anytime soon. Today I managed to rototill my small garden bed and planted my tomatoes. I just cleared enough ground for those 7 plants. I have 4 slicing Beefsteaks, and 2 Cherry and 1 Roma. I still have sweet potatoes to plant but they are happy enough in the glass of water that I put them in to last until I can get another section tilled. I also managed to get my porch decorated this weekend for Memorial day and really happy with how it turned out. I've dreamed my whole life of having my porch decorated like this :wub: 

House with Bunting 2022.jpg

• Like 9

Becca Anne, the house looks great. Didn't get to do my porch as everything is still packed up. But I only have a very small front porch and no room for a chair or nothing.  Could get a small pot of flowers on it and hang a reef. But that would be it.

Jeepers, sounds like you are doing really good on the moving. Ready for another load to go to Indy. You will be all moved in and ready to go before you know it. 

I have not missed those Christmas parties. I hated to have to go to them. Haven't had to deal with that since I retired in 2004.  DH never had parties at his work as it was the gas company, and they didn't have parties. I worked for doctors, and we had parties. Though the last doctor I worked for was fun. We all went to the colony theater downtown Portsmouth and watched a move and had dinner for our Christmas party. 

Been trying to get things as I can unpacked and put away in small bathroom. That room is done except that GS, and I are still sharing that one. The main bathroom still has a way to go yet. But that bathroom will be all his when it is finished. Then I can move his stuff into that bathroom and get the towels, etc. all in there for him. Hoping they will have it finished by end of this week but not counting on it. 

Went to neighbor's house for a cookout this evening. Had a good time. First time in a long while I was able to get out and enjoy the neighbors. It was 3 families. Though GS was not able to go because he had to work. But maybe next time. Finally got GS heavy coat washed but the leather jacket he said he has washed before, but I think I will take it to cleaners to be cleaned. No label for washing instructions and I don't want to mess it up. It looks fairly new, and I can't tell for sure if it is vinyl or real leather. So off to cleaners tomorrow. Then they will be ready for next winter. 

Did some weeding in garden yesterday and still need to weed where the tomatoes are and that will be done for a while. Cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers are all flowering now. Still not sure if I can save the butterbeans are not after the raised bed collapsed. But if not, I won't worry about butterbeans this year. Though I might check the market to see what a bushel is selling for this year. Still a bit early for them yet. So will keep an eye out for both those and a bushel or two of peaches. Out of canned peaches, so want to get a couple of bushels to can this year. 

• Like 4

I'm off to Indiana today. I'll be gone about 7-10 days. I really need some time away. I've become grumpy. Hopefully I can buy a new garage door opener and then see about getting it installed. And I really need to get the garage cleaned out. Also get my shelving set up and start filling them up with some food. Then take DIL to Sam's for a super haul.

If I have time I'll start working on repairing some of the stress cracks on the walls. I was going to hire it all done but I think I can do the little ones and then hire someone to do the bigger cracks in the corners. That should save me some money. Youtube makes it look so easy.  :sHa_sarcasticlol: 

Stay safe everyone! 

:bighug2:

• Like 7

Your porch looks lovely, Becca Anne!

Hope you can relax Jeepers!

How is Annarchy?

Have walked every day, recently.

Family is still here. Went to Salvage grocery store yesterday. Only go there about once a year as it is not close. Only spent $67 including a case of quart jars for $10.

Had to prep and make dog food yesterday as we are about out, so pressure canning it today.

Going to dinner later!

The garden is going crazy! Lots of squash--different types, okra, tomatoes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

How is Annarchy?

Tired.  Never enough time to get everything done.  Especially when DH isn’t doing anything. He is vacuuming, unless he doesn’t feel up to it, he’s going for walks, unless he doesn’t feel up to it..etc.  :sigh:  So much I used to rely on him to do, I honestly didn’t realize it, until he’s not helping.  

I’m still thanking God, his issue wasn’t as bad as our friend, the man who did the dog rescues.  His heart attack, lead to a stroke, which has left him speechless and unable to basically move, he’s responding to visitors, but, hasn’t really improved since the medically induced coma.  :sigh:  People were able to relocate all the dogs he had up for adoption.  His service dog, is being kept, JIC he wakes back up and is able to talk & walk again.  So very very sad.  

Tomorrow is, end of the month bookwork & paperwork….  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Walked and played in garden for a while while.
Paid bills and researched online bookkeeping as godaddy bookkeeping is retiring their website this month.
Taking dh to copd doctor this afternoon and will stop by Walmart.
Bible study tonight at 6:30.

I'm tired. Less than 4 hours sleep last night and just over 4 hours the night before.

• Like 1

Walked first, this morning.
Walked dogs.
Went with daughter to a different salvage/ discount store.
Made spoon bread for funeral meal that I will not be helping with or attending.
It's supposed to rain this afternoon so I will put some epsom salts down near tomatoes, squash and peppers.
Make a couple of phone calls and visit with daughter and grandson.

• Like 3

The 1st was "payday" and we did our power shopping.  Whew!  With prices the way they are we have cut back on some purchases, but when you hear of pending shortages looming on certain items, you still end up trying to squeeze them in.  Today we bought little meat, as our freezers are pretty full with chicken, pork and mostly beef.  We just replaced what we had used the month before to keep our supply even.  We get Tyson bulk chicken packages, still 69 cents a pound in a 10 pound pack of drumsticks or thighs, both of which are favorites (we are dark meat lovers). A little homemade shake and bake along with cookie sheet roasted potatoes alonside and these two older babes are content!  Picked up the last two spiral sliced Same Club hams at the "old" price, and we will dissect & pack those too.  We like a little ham with our morning omelets, or our grilled cheese, so a little goes a long way.  Of course we sometimes splurge on scalloped potatoes & ham, too. 

Lately we have revised our cooking techniques to allow for less tender meats.  (Not to mention our older, weaker teeth...with implants going for $1000 each not including the extraction of our worn broken teeth, means we are not going to have implants any time soon.  Not even dentures, as our insurances do not cover those.  We have to save up.)  But that is not all bad...ultra tender, slowcooked and/or braised stews, pot roasts, and even steaks are a new treat for us.  Time we have, teeth we do not.  LOL.  

Mary showed me the other day how her mother would stuff thin cut round steaks, roll them up and braise them.  They cook quite fast and stretch the meat, but are so festive they were relished by both of us.  We have had stuffed steaks, I did a pork tenderloin (butterflying it flat, then rolling and stuffing...wow!) and even some of those bulk chicken breasts.  I have plans to do the ham & swiss stuffed breasts soon - cant recall what fancy name they go by but they sould great, alongside some fresh picked broccoli spears.

The yellow squash are bearing heavily, which is a good thing since vine borers are bad here and we are expecting them to show up as a matter of course.  We just want to get as much produce as we can before the vines are killed and we have to put in something else.  The diatomaceous earth did not help much as our recent almost daily rains keep washing it away.  Maybe in a less wet year.  But not this year.  Our cucumbers in the green house are climbing exuberantly up the wall, across the ceinling and down the other side.  Cucumbers are starting to show up, the biggest are around 4 inches long so far.  Picking will be "interesting" since we do not intent to use a machete to get into the patch.  We are stocking up on first aid for scrapes (those cucumber vines are rough mothers!)  Ditto for the ripening blackberries...very spiny, they are ....:darthduck:  I will be suiting up in long sleeves and trousers before entering.  Peaches are ripe now there are fruit stands EVERYWHERE.  I might can some if prices are decent.  

All the mama cats and kittens are present and accounted for...in the house.  With temps over 90 degrees most days we do not want those little wigglers to die from heat.  So there are now (brace yourself) 15 of them in three different stages of growth.  We are already locating humane societies....we cant handle another 15 on top of our usual clowder of cats.  No mice - or snakes - live here though.  We handle them often so they will be human-friendly; plus we are getting our males fixed one by one as finances allow.  Enough cats for now.   

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

chicken dish is cordon blu i believe with the ham and cheese in it you can also do one the same way with apples and feta cheese,   or broccoli and cheese   good luck with the cukes and the cats

• Like 2

Things are back to being slow with construction again. They could finish in a day except the fireplace which they have not started yet. But won't come back out till the shower door for main bathroom comes in. So that could be anywhere from a week to 8 weeks or longer. So, I still can't get things put away in closets till shoe molding is in. Not going to put things back in closet just to have to take it all out again so they can get in there to put in shoe molding.  So, it's all on hold till whenever. I am so over this. But it is what it is, and I really think this company just can't get their act together and order things like they should. That main bathroom has been ready for the shower encloser for 2 months and he just ordered it the other day. So here we go again. 

Garden is doing great. Everything is now in bloom so should start producing in the next month or sooner. Will have to get the pictures taken. Though I think I will be replanting the carrots. Still nothing. 

Got curtains hung up in my bedroom but still waiting on the furniture and ceiling fan. It is so hard to get things in these days. SIL has to get a new fridge for his parents. Hope he can get one soon. Said he was going to order one, but I think he should see if he can get one store in stock. 

DD said a friend of hers ordered one a year ago and still waiting. I know it took me 8 months to get mine. 

Jeepers hope your trip was great. Have fun while you are in Indy. 

I really have a lot to do around here, but so much is packed up I feel like I am moving instead of remodeling. So much to get rid of. But now need to rethink on that as GS could have an apt. within a year if he does like he should and gets his bills paid off. Either way I have giving him a goal of 2 years to get out on his own. He now has a good paying job but needs to pay off bills first and then a good down payment on a new car. That is a much-needed thing for him. His car is a Toyota 06, bad on gas and over 265 thousand miles on it. So that is a must. 

Then to save for the apt. He would still have a car payment but that should not affect him getting his own place within 2 years. He is loving his job but says it is boring at times. He is still in training. They looked at his steel toed boots and said they are buying him a new pair. That is great. Though his are old they are not worn out, just needs shoestrings. 

• Like 2

Kappy glad you got the deals on the meat! I need to do a bulk buy soon of meat as soon as the new freezer gets delivered. Hoping to buy a 1/4 cow.

Pauline that sounds delicious!

Miki I've never made spoon bread is that a pull apart type of bread?

Littlesister They sound like good employers if they noticed he needed new boots. I hope he learns lots and saves a lot too! So sorry they are still dragging out the construction. I'm still waiting for the electricians to come back :tapfoot: I just don't understand this nonsense. When these projects are done I'm not doing another thing for the rest of the year unless I can do it myself or have to other than working on the organization. 

• Like 1

The rolled, braised beef sounds a bit like rouladen.   Its a German dish.  Thin cut beef wrapped around onions, pickles, and carrots.   Sear, cover in sauce and bake for 2 hours.  You can also just do them on the stovetop quickly, but the oven makes the meat SO! tender.   I make it a few times a year and everyone loves it.   It has a brown gravy.   There is a similar Hungarian/Polish dish that has a red tomato gravy with lots of paprika and mushrooms.   We like that one also.  

Yep ham and cheese is cordon bleu.   I like the broccoli and cheese one also.   Fetta and apple not my favorite.  You can stuff it with herbs and butter and that is chicken Kiev.   DH hates Kiev, but I LOVE it.  

If you need the meat to be more tender for teeth issues, move to cooking in the oven or crockpot in an acidic sauce.  It makes it fall apart in your mouth almost to the point of not needing to chew.  On top of the stove is always a bit tougher with the same cut of meat.  

Spoon bread is more like a porridge.   Generally cornmeal and it sets up like a firm custard.  It is eaten with a spoon...thus spoonbread.  It is less firm than polenta and more so than a bowl of grits.  It has a mouth texture similar to leftover thanksgiving dressing.  It is often make with addins like corn, chilis, olives, etc.  depending on the region.  

Reading old cookbooks is my favorite hobby.  I'll sit on the couch and just read through them like a novel.  DH made fun of me for it this week, but he likes the results it gives.  

It has been a long week here, lots of use on my arm so my wrist hurts.   School is winding up and should be done in 2 weeks for DD14.   In a month, she is going south for the summer.  

Yesterday, I made homemade lettuce wraps, bacon wrapped asparagus, and cheated by having DH pick up a quart of hot and sour soup from our local family owned Chinese place.   It is cheaper to just buy the soup made than to buy the ingredients.  Also I love her soup!  DD14 is so proud of those green onions.   She started a set from bought 3 years ago and she has kept them going in the planters around our deck.  

*the liquid in the center is the sauce for the lettuce wraps.  It is similar to teriyaki.   DD14 dipped her finger in the mason jar after I made it and declared it was all hers and we couldn't have any.   Its her new favorite meal she says.  

20220602_180024.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2