MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

Spent the morning, reading a book, #7 in a series, Casca…by Barry Sadler.  DH tried to get me to read it 20 years ago, but, now, it is a nice break from the net.  Oddly enough, it makes a lot of sense….  

Anyway.. ants found the hummingbird feeder, had to replace the liquid, because of an inch of dead ants in the liquid….  Greasing the shepherds hook, with motor oil, seems to keep them from climbing the pole…

We had a major dust storm, 1/2 hour of heavy rain, then, nada…. 111° today, with humidity…. Yuck!  I got melted rubber under my finger nails,when I removed the pine needles from my vehicle windshield. :sigh:

Getting ready to prepare for the fall garden…. Birds & ants, have stripped most of the plants….plus the 110°+ we’ve been 117°F already, this year, the hot days have ravaged everything else.  Plus, with the rain we got, misquotes, are out, thanks to all the people that don’t pour out their “rain catchers”, anything that collects water is a spawning ground for the terrible little creatures….

Heard another cicada, being ravaged by a bird this morning..  more rain in another month…?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Walked early  and then walked dogs.  

Washed rugs and bed sheets.

Harvested in garden for the day.

Taking a little break now and then sweeping the house.

Company will be here sometime this afternoon or evening.

Might rain later so not sure if I will water or not.

Ordering pizza when company arrives.

• Like 2

Anarchy sounds hot and miserable! I'll have to look up that series. 

Miki enjoy your company!

Everyone sounds very productive. I pretty much slept away half the morning didn't wake up until almost 10 am! I must have been more tired than I thought. We got half the lawn mowed yesterday my DH was teaching my older son how to use the new zero turn riding lawn mower so that was fun watching him learn to "drive" :) It will be a lot easier with both of them doing it. That is if we can keep it from being stolen. Someone tried to break into our shed. I'm having DH pick up a heavy lock and chain and some way to bolt it and lock the frame to the building so even if they jimmy the door they can't haul it off. The key is inside but if someone took it I'm sure they could get a locksmith to make a key. I do not want to lose my mower! They are sliding barn style doors held in place inside with a chain but I think easier to break in than a normal garage door. It's called a carriage house but it's more like 4 sheds since they put on 4 doors and then dividers inside. 3 are empty except some junk we need hauled off and empty boxes but the one with the tools I want locked down tight. We have a security system on the house but there is no electric in the shed so we couldn't include that. I'm thinking a solar motion light and  better locks. 

Anyhow got my older son's room unpacked finally and the suitcases removed. Going to put together a bookshelf for him so he has somewhere to put his other things. It's been so slow getting moved in but one item at a time we will get there. Turns out the latest delay with the electricians was the foreman got COVID so I'm glad they stayed away. If he's feeling up to it they may be back midweek. They're going to see how he feels on a smaller job or two first. At least he won't be contagious and bringing it to my house!

Otherwise my plan today is to work on my office area since it's 95 today and humid and I don't feel up to pulling ivy. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

So... COVID has apparently changed.

First symptom we've all had is a sore throat, then fatigue (mine has been very light, but I was also the last to get it and had been taking supplements to help fight it).  The sore throat goes away rather quickly (within a day, probably less), then your throat just feels odd.  I've had much worse sore throats with sinus infections and bronchitis.  The fatigue makes it where you don't particularly FEEL tired until you start trying to do something.  Hubby found that out when he went stir crazy and started rearranging furniture.  I'm just hanging out in my chair playing video games and reading.  I'm probably going to actually take a nap, which is very rare for me.  I'm probably out from work for most of the next week as well (I originally came home on Tuesday at the end of the day, after hubby tested positive).  A friend said that the fatigue can last a week or 2, so I may end up with a cot and sleeping bag hiding in the back at work (nobody will give me crap for that, unless it's for that fact that I'm actually THERE and they think I should stay home longer to recover - we're all a bunch of workaholics in that office).

• Like 3

My last day at the office is Thursday.  Afterward, I'm taking an extended trip, assuming flights are available.  Suitcases arrived, so I've spent the day pre-packing, checking to see what fits and what various groups of contents weigh.  When I made my initial plans, I had no idea that suitcases had to be so tiny, or that the airline had a fifty-pound standard limit and 70-pound maximum.  Two of the new suitcases meet (or nearly meet) the 62" L x W x H size limit, so I want them to be under 50 lbs and maybe be normal price, but the third is going to cost $200 for being the third suitcase to start with, and it will get a surcharge for being oversized too, so I will be just trying to keep it under the 70 lb outer limit.  My two carry-on items will be the laptop case and a cat carrier.

• Like 6

Take care of yourself, Ambergris!  please check in!

Did a quick soak and boil on 3# of pinto beans .
Sunday School and Church first this morning.
Came home and grilled pork steaks and deer sausage for future meals.
Started the beans cooking with some hot pork sausage, onions, bell peepers and garlic.
Might do ebay photos this afternoon and maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ambergris, have a safe and fun trip. 

TheCG, :pray: you don't get corvid and that your family is getting much better. 

Taking a break for now. Been unpacking boxes and trying to get what I can put away. Still a long way to go. But at least with construction that is done I can start moving things and putting it away. Trying to organize it is another story. Will more than likely reorganize somethings if it doesn't work where I put it. Having a linen closet inside of both bathrooms now is great. And the cabinets they put over both toilets are huge. So, lots of storage. Sill have the hall linen closet just outside of main bathroom that will be used for sheets, blankets, pillows and such. But all towels, washcloths, etc. are now situated in each bathroom. The long closet that I have always used as my pantry now has all my pasta, dried beans, and some long-term foods on top shelf in there. Once I get the small bedroom cleaned out and the desk, dresser and another file cabinet out of that room and more shelving units up, I might move that food from that closet into the small bedroom and set that closet up for first aid and OTC's and RX's. Then I can see at a glance what I have. Trying to get things organized and put away is a hassle. And with grandson sleeping during the day because of working at night, I am trying to do this quietly and by myself. Maybe once he gets his schedule Straight, and his sleeping pattern better established, he will be able to help me more. He does go and check the garden before going into work every day. He comes and tells me that something might need to be picked as he won't pick anything because he is not sure if it is ready or not. So at least I know what to look for after he tells me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up early this morning and went to Walmart for monthly stock up and might I say that the prices are heading towards criminal, in my opinion. I know things cost more including gas, parts and labor, but someone is making a killing.

Came home. Put stuff away, fed dogs, made a few calls.
Did laundry for the week.
Next, will cut up a watermelon that I bought today.
Take ebay photos.

• Like 1

I am not having a good week.

The post office did not even try to deliver my package but sent it back as undeliverable --I was home the entire time.  

Friday the van went in for some recall maintenance work.  They found that a varmint had gotten into the wiring and ate it.  It is covered by insurance but we have a high deductible.   They do cover a rental which we went to pick up today.  I stepped off the curb wrong and fell down hard.

Left leg has been giving me problems lately (knee issues for years on that side.)  I fell on my right side.   Scraped up forearm below elbow, but was wearing wrist brace so my wrist took no impact.  Fell hard on my right knee.  Deep cut, ankle swollen and barely supporting weight.  My hair went flying and so did my purse.  I was completely embarrassed.  

So we are getting take-out for dinner and I had them bring the walker back downstairs because it is not fun to be me.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

CG sorry you're not feeling well. I porcess all our company COVID decisions and we advise our employees 5 days with a negative test they can come back as long as they mask until 10 days have passed If + or still have e fever we keep them ouy until it's been 24 hrs since their fever passed without any meds. I Hope you feel better soon! 

I have one more day of work this week then I'm on vacation! I cannot wait!! I'm so ready for a break! Got nothing but work done today but my 2nd kitchen faucet came for the breakfast room sink. Wasn't going to replace that one but it's annoying me because the handle keeps falling off and it leaks at the junction between to spout and the sink so it goes because its corroded and I'm not dealing with the leak getting worse. By the time this new stuff all gets done I'll have replaced most of the faucets in the house. Still will have 3 sinks left :24:2 more kitchen sinks and my art room sink. That will makes 9 between all the bathrooms and kitchens and the art room. How many does one house need? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

CG sorry you're not feeling well. I porcess all our company COVID decisions and we advise our employees 5 days with a negative test they can come back as long as they mask until 10 days have passed If + or still have e fever we keep them ouy until it's been 24 hrs since their fever passed without any meds. I Hope you feel better soon! 

The confounding factor in timelines is that I've never ran a fever nor tested positive.

• Sad 1

Already walked, fed dogs and voted in run off this morning.
Harvested in garden.
Now have 6 quarts of squash PCing.
Next will go pick blueberries.
Cut up watermelon.
Make Zucchini roll ups- like lasagna roll ups and freeze for this weekend.
Have to give Oreo pills tonight to sedate him for tomorrow's vet trip. We are truly hoping it goes better than last time. Please pray for him and us!

15 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

I'll have replaced most of the faucets in the house.

I have to have 2 out of 3 replaced in the next couple of weeks because of leaking.  Already have the expensive one, thank God!

@euphrasyne, I surely hope today is going better for you!

• Like 4

Best of luck on your trip Ambergris! Hope it's just what you need to get away for awhile.  Stay safe and don't forget to keep us posted! You will be missed.  :hug3:

TheCG, glad you are not feeling sick! I know you will be glad to get back to a normal schedule. Even so, don't over do it. 

Littlesister, it's good to hear things are starting to come together at your house. It's been such a long time coming for you. Hope they finish with you once and for all soon!

Miki, "the prices are criminal" is exactly how I feel too. A quick trip to the store is always at least $100.00 now. I don't even want to think about how things are going to be this fall. 

Euphrasyne, I'm so sorry you took another tumble! But glad nothing was broken. I think you are going to have to bubble wrap yourself up when you go out from now on. Whew, that would be a hot mess in these temperatures these days. 

Whoo-Hoo Becca_Anne.  HAPPY VACATION!  I hope you have a great time and do not one single minute of work. My house only has 3 faucets inside but 2 of them need replaced. So I guess I could say 2/3, or 66%, or well over half of them need replaced.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I'm off to Indiana in the morning. I have a lot of stuff I need to try to get done over there. First on the list is to get the garage cleared out enough for the workers to be able to work. Should take only about an hour. Should. The Jeep is loaded to the hilt. Lots of very heavy food. The stuff that I packaged up since the last time I was there. Beans, rice, pop corn, corn meal, flour, noodles etc. Plus some canned goods. That stuff is very heavy. At least for me it is. Load it up, unload it and find room for it all. That process in my life has become very daunting. I think with this trip I'll have 87%-90% of the food preps moved over there. Not counting the buckets but they will be a load by themselves. I'm so over it. 

Hopefully, the garage door opener people will show up along with the freezer people. After measuring, the place I wanted the freezer to go, won't fit. There is a built in cantilever type shelf hanging down from the ceiling that is about 2 inches too low. I really wouldn't mind having it removed. It is very strong and sturdy but it's sort of in the way. And its so tall that I can't reach anything up there without a ladder. But not this trip. I'm getting a list put together for one handyman to be able do within a couple of days. At least that's the plan.  :24:

But there is a birthday party planned and also a camping trip. Son seems to think we should get together every night to just sit around. G-son seems to think he needs to babysit me a few times so mom and dad can have a time out. Plus I seem to spend a lot of time in town at Home Depot, Menards and Lowes. So I never get done everything I think I will. 

Anyhoo, I'll be gone 7 to 10 days again.  :grouphug:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Contractors were here today. Hoping they will be back tomorrow to finish up. Both bathrooms are now done. :hapydancsmil: Still putting down the shoe molding. Almost finished kitchen and then the den, hall and foyer and one closet to get done. Hoping all will be done tomorrow if they show. Then the fans in bedroom and den to go up. Owner messed up on one fan and had to reorder. So, waiting for that one to come in. Then it is touch up paint and the fireplace to get started on and I hope that will be soon. He said it should take about one or two days, but he didn't order the mat that goes under the stove a month ago like he was supposed to, so that won't be here till end of July. :gaah:This is how it has been going. He waits till last minute to order and then the contractors can't get things done because they don't have what they need when it is needed. it has been a long 6 months of this. Though on the bright side I am able to start getting things put away now. Still a long way to go and trying to figure out where to put things. Organizing is a hassle. And I am sure that down the road if something that I put in one place doesn't work out, I will be moving things around till I can get it organized like I need. 

Becca Anne. enjoy your vacation. I am sure it is well needed. 

Jeepers have a safe trip and hope you get things moved in and ready to go soon. 

Euphrosyne, I am so glad you didn't break anything when you fell. I am thinking we are all going to have to save our bubble wrap for you and come wrap you up in it before you go out of door. You are accident prone for sure. Be careful. You have had enough setbacks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No contractors today, so I have started unpacking stuff and getting it all put away. Owner said they won't be back till the bedroom fan comes in and then they will be here to finish up everything in one day. Gee, where have I heard that before. Contractors need to get in attic for past 3 months and kept saying owner needs to get someone out that can move the wood stove as it is sitting in garage under the opening to the attic. I am so tired of the excuses. The stove is on a pallet. So, I went out this morning and slid it out of the way. Seems it just takes a woman to get things done these days. Those men could have done that, but they said they couldn't do it as it weighs 350lbs and they just won't be able to do it. I am in my 70's and I could move it with no help. Slides really easy on a pallet. 

Got the linen closet that is outside of main bathroom all cleaned out and that now only has pillows, sheets and blankets mostly in it. All towels and washcloths are now split up into both bathroom linen closets. So much better now. Put a huge dent in the front bedroom that I am trying to get setup for grandson. Hopefully it will be ready for him in a week or so. My dressers are on a few days delay so hoping next week they will be here for sure. Then I can empty the other dressers for grandson to use and get all my clothes back into my room. Hoping after that I can start on the small bedroom and get that set up. I really feel like I am moving with all the packing up I had to do for construction and now having to get it all unpacked. Once I get grandson out of the living room and into his bedroom, I can start working on getting the living room set up for a more useable room. Will need to get the couch into the den and sell the end tables that are in there. I am going to maybe be having a huge yard sale this fall or next spring, depending on if I can get everything together, I want to get rid of. Thinking about waiting to go through the sheds and getting all that sorted out. I will need a break once I get the house back together. 

• Like 3

Walked first with very little enthusiasm, this morning.
Walked dogs.
Going out to harvest in garden, next.
Next make Cowboy Candy and can.
Then finish applying for SS online.
Then work on new bookkeeping app. Friends who were coming this weekend to help, are not coming now. On my own.
That should be more than enough for today!

• Like 3

Thank you everyone I plan to enjoy the heck out of it. Getting a few things done today and yesterday. Cabinet guy says the panels and doors they send weren't flat like he requested so he has to go back to the place he ordered them from and see if they will make right on them or else will have to reorder them. If they admit they goofed it will be another week, if they don't and he has to re-order and pay again then it will be another 2 months. I'm trying not to get completely discouraged but this is getting ridiculous.  Only plus is he showed me the finish stain color and I love it so it will look like I want when it's done. 

Today DH bought the items we need to put up the trellis. I got our 2nd checking acct set up so I can put re-occuring autopay bills and deposits in there to keep separate from the more discretionary funds. That should help me budget better. I vacuumed and cleaned up the LR a bit today and then relaxed the rest of the day

Littlesister so glad at least the bathrooms are done! You must be beyond happy :cloud9: 

Miki so sorry your friends won't be able to make it. 

Have a safe trip Jeepers and Ambergris!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I had yesterday off as well as today. I have a lot of vacation time built up at work. It was actually one of my co workers that suggested I take these two days off. Lol! She is kind of bossy, but  watching out for me:) Things are going well, just busy as usual. We have so much going on at work, I feel like we will never get caught up.

I did get a couple of preps ordered though. I bought myself a new smaller more compact solar cooker. I wanted something that we could fold up and put in a case and take on our fishing trips. It is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I'm excited because we are taking a trip on Sunday. We got some good looking meat kabobs at Hy-Vee to cook in it. I also ordered a NOCO jump starter for my vehicle. I will probably be purchasing a couple more, so all of our vehicles have one. I've have good luck with cars starting, but don't want to chance it. These are nice and compact and you don't need to rely on someone else jump starting you. I figured this was a good way to spend my longevity check that I received. 

DH went with us to my oldest sons orthodontist appt. yesterday and then we had Taekwondo practice. In between we did a grocery shop. I was not shocked at what we payed. I have been buying the groceries weekly for so long that I'm used to it. He was ready to have a heart attack. Lol! That was before we bought fireworks. I think he is starting to get it now. he used to tell me to quit being so cheap. Now he is starting to get on board. I just worry about what prices are going to look like in the next 6 months. I am going to try to stock my freezer back up by the end of the summer. As well as get my pantry back up to where I want it. I have been using some stuff up so I don't go to far past expiration dates and keep a nice rotation going. We shall see. 

• Like 3

For everyone that is traveling, be safe and have fun.

Been working on kitchen today.  Getting things back in order now. And set up before the canning starts. Garden is just starting to produce. So, it won't be long now. If all the Roma tomatoes ripen at once, it will be lots of canned tomatoes, salsa and spaghetti sauce to get canned. Not to mention soups. Might make more ketchup depending on how far the tomatoes go. 

Taking a much-needed break right now. Getting ready to work on front bedroom again soon. Trying to get everything out of that bedroom and rearrange the furniture to fit better in that room. 

Daughter and her DH are coming into town tomorrow, so going to plan a cookout while they are here. then Sunday it's Church and a cookout after service as well. Need to bake brownies tomorrow for that also. Better make extras for family also. SIL loves brownies. 

GS is still asleep as he didn't get home till after 4am from work and went to bed just after 7am this morning. He is off today and tomorrow and should be getting up soon. Going to cook him a fish dinner tonight. He loves fish and could eat it every day. Once a week is enough for me, I'm not a huge fish eater. 

And yes, the grocery stores are outrageous on prices. Went to store for just a few things this morning and prices just keep going up. Produce is really bad. Frozen foods were not much better than last week. Don't know what is going on with that. They did have the 15oz. cans of pineapple on sale 5 for $5.00. So, I bought 5 cans. Beats paying $1.69 a can. Pineapple upside down cake sounds pretty good. 

• Like 1

Jayceef enjoy your days off! Nice idea for the jump starters for the car. I can't get near the engine of my car but that would still be handy to have someone else help me (my implanted cardiac defibrillator means I can't get near engines).

Littlesister Glad your kitchen is back to being functional! I am hoping mine is all installed before my tomatoes ripen. Just blossoms for now. So late harvest for me but I got them in very late. 

I primed and painted the two steps in front that were bare so hopefully I got them in time before too much damage got done. The other steps could use a coat too but I'll wait until it's cooler, probably end of Sept before doing the rest. It's hotter than blazes out there the paint was drying as I painted! The only other home project I'm going to try to get done this vacation is to put up the trellises I bought. I have one mostly together just need to screw it together and glue the pvc tops onto the panel. Then DH has to dig the post holes for all 4 posts and I'll have to prime and paint those white to match before we screw the trellis to the posts. So my plan is to put the other one together (I'm building them inside due to the heat). 

Tomorrow I'm going to St Louis so will stop by Costco and pick up some preps on our way home. I am hoping to do the Botanical Garden and the Science Museum. I want to do the zoo too but I think we'll wait until fall to go back to do that.

• Like 2

The Roma tomatoes are loaded, but not ripe yet. So, kitchen was a must to get it back together. 

Becca Anne, sounds like you are going through some of what I have been going through. Ordering the wrong thing or something didn't come in when it was supposed to and of course taking contractors off my job to go work on another job and then pulling them from that job to go work on a third job and so on till no one is getting their jobs done in a timely manner. I put my foot down on the owner and that got the ball rolling again, but only for a couple of days. He is waiting on the fan that he did the wrong order on, and they won't be back to finish up till that comes in. Doesn't seem to matter to him that they still have to finish putting down the shoe molding, hook up the exhaust fans in both bathrooms and other small things that could be done while waiting on that one fan. The fan for the den is here sitting in garage. But no, they have to wait till the bedroom fan comes in to finish and again he said it can all be done in a day. Where have I heard that story before. They get here around 8:30 am, work for a while, then go to lunch for an hour and then by 2pm they are packing up to leave. So, no way will the rest of this get done in a day. This is what I have been dealing with for a few months. And the fireplace hasn't been started yet. But he says he's working on the plans. So, when am I going to know about these plans is anyone's guess? He will keep me guessing to stall for time to work on the other houses and he has now taken on 3 more houses before he has finished the work on what he already has for 5 or 6 other jobs. None are getting done according to contractors that come out. They are getting frustrated with the owner because they can't even get tile work finished in one house before he sends them to another house to do a little bit before sending them again to a 3ed house and so it goes. I think a lot of homeowners are on his case and he doesn't know what to do. I think it is called stop micromanaging your workers and let them get the work done like it should be.

• Sad 1

Happy Independence Day!

Walked first this morning.
Worked on straightening out new bookkeeping system for awhile.
Cooked a new recipe for stewed squash adding some candied jalapenos.
Need to put together my new Water Drip water filter--kinda like a Berkey system, I think.
Ordered a new pair of inexpensive glasses and a cook book of 500 recipes to make with leftovers. Sounded interesting, although we usually just eat whatever is cooked until it's gone. Maybe something new!

• Like 2