MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Would sure like some ideas

I bought 10 lbs. of hamburger on sale.  So far, I've made lasagna, tacos and Tator Tot casserole.  I have 2 lbs. left to do something with.  Any ideas other than spaghetti or other pasta dishes?  DH isn't real crazy about pastas and the lasagna is enough.

Also, I have rice I'd like to get used up.  What can you think of beside rice pudding, friend rice, just plain old, cooked rice, etc.?  I thought of porcupine balls with the hamburger and rice but DH and I neither one care much for those.  We ate so much of it when we were young and poor that they're no longer an option.  :D

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

beef and rice burritos  --I had that for dinner tonight.

Meatloaf, hamburgers, hamburger steak, Swedish meatballs over mashed potatoes or rice, tamale casserole,  cabbage rolls (we love cabbage rolls uses cooked rice and ground beef), shepherd's pie

Rice can be a casserole filler with chicken and sauce.  

Natchitoches Meat Pies --its like a hot pocket with hamburger, bell pepper, and garlic.  

• Like 3

Oh, wow!  You ladies have come up with some good ideas.  Most even sound familiar but I'd forgotten about them.  I have beans leftover from our tacos so I think for dinner it will be bean and rice burritos.  I've never put the 2 of them together w/o beef but I'm going to try it today.

We had taco salad for dinner yesterday Joyfilled. Great minds! :) Leftovers from the tacos make a great salad and DH thinks it's a whole different meal since you eat it with a fork instead of your hands.  Poor man!  :laughkick:

For supper, I think it'll be cheese filled hamburgers Annarchy.  If there's anything DH likes better than hamburgers I don't know what it is.  We love enchiladas too, but I already have those in the freezer.  The rice pudding sounds perfect too   We like raisins in ours as well as the cinnamon and sugar.  Especially when it's first cooked and still warm.  NOW, I want some. :) 

How do you make tamale casserole euphrasyne?  That sounds yummy too!

This is fun.  Keep the ideas coming.  I think they'll work for all of us! :grouphug:

• Like 2

I could have added hamburger (or sausage) to the zucchini roll ups.  Or any vegetarian recipe that I make.  Made stewed squash today and could add burger to that, too.  Using up what I don't can from the garden!

I can't help with rice as we only eat cauliflower rice at this point.  If things change, I will re-visit that thought though.

• Like 1

Tamale Casserole

1lb beef

Taco seasoning to taste

1 can cream corn (or regular corn)

1 can rotel drained

1 box cornbread mix  mixed according to package directions or 1 sm batch homemade cornbread batter

1c cheese

Brown beef.  Add taco mix, corn, and rotel.   Mix cheese into cornbread.  Place meat mixture in greased pan.  Top with cornbread batter.  Bake 350F 30m.  

You can change the corn for beans or anything.  The beef can be hamburger, beef tips, sausage, chicken, whatever.  Just skip the browning step if using cooked meat.  I often add a sautéed onion to this.  Olives can be good too.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do you like Chinese?  This is easy and mind blowingly tasty.  I leave out sriacha as I don;t like it hot.

CRACK SLAW

1 pound (16-ounces) ground beef

1 16 oz pkg coleslaw mix or shredded cabbagbe if thats what you have 

1/4 cup (2-ounces) shredded carrots 

1 Tablespoon oil 

1 onion , chopped 

2 cloves garlic , minced 

2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (or dry to taste)

3 Tablespoons soy sauce 

1 Tablespoon vinegar (rice, apple cider, white...)

2 teaspoons Sriracha (or to taste)     

4 Tablespoons chopped green onions

1/2 tsp sesame seeds, opt

Place a large wok or skillet on the stove over medium heat.  Add oil. Add onions and saute for about 3 – 5 minutes.  Add minced garlic and minced fresh ginger and cook for about one minute, stirring the whole time.  Add the ground beef to the onions, garlic, and ginger.  Cook the ground beef until brown and no longer pink and juices run clear.  Empty the bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage) and shredded carrots to the ground beef. 

Cook the coleslaw (shredded cabbage and carrots) with the ground beef until the cabbage is wilted and carrots are softened. 

Pour in the soy sauce, vinegar, and sriracha and stir. Garnish the dish with chopped green onions, more sriracha, and sesame seeds. Serve hot! 

(IGNORE the prices here they are quite old.  At the time I was coillecting foods under $1 per svg for main dishes and under 50 cents for sides....back in 2015! They probably doubled now.)

SHEPHERDS PIE (6 svgs)

4 servings of mashed potatoes, about 2 cups (instant OK)  (from instant 50 cents)                                                                     

creamed corn (optional)(69 cents)

1 chopped onion (24 cents)

cream of mushroom soup (optional house brand) (70 cents)              

1/4 lb of cheese (slices or shredded) ($1.25)

1/2 pound hamburger ($1.75)                                                              

2 cups cooked vegetables (7 cents)

2 c beef stock (10 cent from bouillon cubes)                                        

4 TB flour (2 cents)

1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 cent)

Make mashed potatoes; fry hamburger with onion and garlic powder.  Drain grease.  Measure 4 TB hamburger fat back into the pan and add flour, stirring to make a brown roux.  Add beef stock, vegetables, cheese, soup and creamed corn.  Put in a casserole dish, top with mashed potatoes. Bake about 20 min. at 350 degrees.  recipe total $5.33;  per serving 89 cents.

Variations:

>Mix 1 c cooked rice into mashed potatoes. 

>Add sliced peppers, sweet or hot when frying onions with meat.

> Add thyme, oregano, rosemary.

>Instead of cream of mushroom soup add 2 cups home made mushroom sauce.

CORNBREAD MEAT LOAF (8 servings)

1/4 lb bacon ends and pieces (90 cents)                                               

1/2 lb hamburger ($1.75)

2 c tomato sauce ($1.20)                                                                       

1 onion (24 cents)

1-2 cups cooked beans or one can beans (69 cents)                            

1 c shredded cheese ($1.48) optional

cornbread batter (Jiffy Mix) ($1.30)

Fry bacon, remove from pan, cutting it in small pieces.  Chop onions, fry in bacon grease until light brown.  Add hamburger, brown it, and drain.  Add bacon pieces back into meat mixture, Pour tomato sauce over the mixture.  Add 1 soup can of water, beans, spices and herbs of choice, and mix well. 

Simmer 30 minutes, stirring often, adding water if it gets too thick.  Add cheese, stirring well.  Put in casserole dish (or a cast iron skillet) and pour your favorite corn bread batter on top.  Bake in 400 degree oven until cornbread is done, about 20-30 min.  Recipe cost $7.56; per serving 94 cents.

Variations: for vegetarians, eliminate bacon and hamburger and use extra beans.

FRUGAL FRIED RICE  2 cups or 1 main / 2 side dish serving = 31 cents

2/3 c raw rice                                                                         

1/2 broccoli stalk

1/8 onion                                                               

a few TB cooking oil

Water

Cook rice using preferred method.  Finely chop broccoli, and onion and saute in a little oil.  When onion is brown and broccoli softened, add rice and toss.  A beaten egg is a nice addition if you can afford one.

FRIED RICE, EASY

In a large frying pan or wok, brown a bit of garlic in a tablespoon or two of oil, then add one sliced onion. When the onion is softened, drop in two eggs and scramble them up on one side of the pan.

Now crank up the heat and toss in whatever other ingredients you want or have on hand — peas, corn, mushrooms, broccoli, diced carrots, pineapple, or chunks of ham all work well — along with your leftover rice, a spoonful of sugar, and up to a 1/4 cup of light soy sauce. Cook on high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, and serve right away.

2 cups or more of leftover cooked rice: Free                                        

1/4 cup of soy sauce: 50 cents

Minced garlic, sugar, and 2T olive oil: 50 cents                    

1 onion: 99 cents

2 eggs: 50 cents                                                                                     

Frozen peas or other veggies: $1.29

Total: $3.78 (makes six servings)           Price per serving: 63 cents

CURRY RICE (4 servings)

1 cup rice (20 cents)                                                                              

2 cups liquid (water, broth, bouillon from cubes) (10 cents for broth)

1 TB margarine or other fat (3 cents)                                         

1 c chopped carrots (40 cents)                                                              

1 chopped onion (4 cents)

2 minced cloves garlic (20 cents)                                                          

1 tsp curry powder (2 cents)

1/8 tsp pepper (1 cent)                                                                         

1 TB lemon juice (bottled) (5 cents)

1/8 tsp pepper (1 cent)                                                         

(optional) 1 pound shrimp, cut up chicken, leftover meat, etc.

Put it all in a pot, bring to a boil.  Stir once, lower heat to simmer and cover.  Simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.  Let sit 5 min, then fluff with a fork and serve.  (Hint- get a mild curry powder, you can always heat it up with some cayenne pepper if you want more ‘fire’.) Total recipe cost: $1.06;  per serving 27 cents.

WAYS TO USE EXTRA (LEFTOVER OR ON PURPOSE) COOKED RICE

1.  Add a little cooked white rice to other burrito ingredients to make a nice, fat, burrito.

2.  Substitute rice for crumbs in meatloaf or meat balls; it will also work well in stuffing, instead of bread crumbs.

3.  Rice adds body and texture to any soup, and the grain protein complements any beans in it too (rice with chili, for example).

4.  I do not usually buy soups to stir into cooked rice (expensive) BUT there is one exception.  Wal-Mart makes a house brand chili-dog sauce (fairly cheap by the can) that is perfect stirred into 3 cups of warm cooked rice for a Tex-Mex rice with a little meat in it to boot.  The sauce is still half the price of soup as of this writing.

5.  Rice and Beans: any kind of rice, any kind of beans, mixed is the main meal of choice for balanced nutrition, protein and energy in many lands.  Any ratio of beans to rice may be used, but most recipes call for half and half.  The addition of diced onions is a flavor enhancement preferred by many for a quick, cheap and filling meal. Add a sauce and you have a really classy casserole.

RICE BOWLS        To a base of cooked rice (1/2 cup per serving) add:

VARIETY

VEGETABLES (cooked or raw as desired)

PROTEIN  (cooked or raw)

SAUCE, SEASONING, GARNISH

Southwest bowl

Green & red pepper strips, corn, chopped onions

Grilled chicken or beef strips, cooked black beans

Shredded cheese,

salsa

Taco bowl

Tomatoes, onions, green pepper strips

Taco seasoned ground beef, turkey, or lentils

Cheese, plain yogurt, tortilla chips

Vegan bowl

Raw cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, celery

Pinto beans or other beans as desired

Italian dressing; shredded cheese

Fruit & Nut breakfast

Raw fruit: mangos, banana, or apples

Walnuts or almonds

Brn sugar, cinnamon  raisins or milk

Huevos breakfast bowl

Diced tomatoes, green onions, green peppers

Fried egg on top

Salsa or enchilada sauce

Mediterranean Bowl

chopped tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers

White beans or cannellini beans

Tomato sauce if desired

Italian or Pizza bowl

Canned/cooked mushrooms, onions

Chopped pepperoni

or cooked lentils

Any pasta sauce

Parmesan cheese

(I USUALLY CUT THESE NEXT 2 RECIPES IN HALF FOR TWO,  WORKS GREAT…SOMETHING DIFFERENT FROM THE BRITS)

Budget Recipe: CHICKEN CURRY  ( £2.99 for a family of four - 75p each…$3.78 USD or 95 cents ea)

500g chicken, diced (£2) (1 1/4 lb US)                                                  

1 onion, chopped (12p)

2tsp curry powder (13p) (2.2 tsp)                                                         

1 tin of tomatoes (31p) (14 oz? US)

300g frozen peas (29p) (4 oz US)                                                          

1 chicken stock cube (2p)

300 ml water (1 1/4 cups US)                                                                

1 tbsp oil (1p)

280g rice (11p) (1 3/8 cups)

Heat the oil in a pan and cook the chicken for 5 minutes.  Add the curry powder and onion, stir in, then cook until the onion has softened.  Mix in all the other ingredients and simmer for 40 minutes  Serve with rice.

Budget Recipe: STIR FRY (Total cost - £3.94 for a family of 4 - 99p each….$4.97 USD or $1.25 ea)

375g turkey, sliced (£2.59) (1 pound)                                                    

150g bean sprouts (21p)  (12- 14 oz can)

1 carrot, cut into matchsticks (6p)                                                        

A few leaves of cabbage, finely sliced (10p)

1 onion, sliced (12p)                                                                              

1 Clove of garlic, crushed (10p)

1 tbsp soy sauce (6p)                                                                             

200 ml chicken stock (2p) (3/4 cup US)

1 tbsp oil (1p)                                                                                         

250g noodles (67p) (3/4 pound US)

Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and when hot add the turkey.  Cook for a few minutes stirring then add the onions.  In a separate pan, cook the noodles for 4 minutes.  When the onions are slightly softened, add the carrots and cook for a few minutes.  Then mix in the cabbage and bean sprouts.  When the noodles are cooked, drain then add to the pan.  Stir in the soy sauce and chicken stock and stir for about a minute.

MEXICAN RICE & BEANS (4 svg @ $2.22 or 55 cents ea)

2 tsp olive oil                                                                                           1/4 onions, finelly chopped

1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped                                                             1/2 green peppers, cut into dices

3/4 tsp ground cumin                                                                             3/4 tsp paprika

3/4 tsp dried oregano                                                                             3/4 cup basmati rice

2 tsp tomato paste                                                                                    1 1/3 c red beans (canned), or pinto, drained and rinsed

1 1/3 cup vegetable broth                                                                      1 pinch salt [optional]

ground pepper to taste [optional]

Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, pepper and garlic then sauté, with occasional stirring, for 2-3 min. Add the cumin, paprika, and oregano then cook 1 min with stirring.  Stir in the rice then cook 2 min, until the grains are completely coated in oil. Add the tomato paste broth and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to 'low', cover and simmer until the rice is cooked al dente, about 15-20 min. Adjust the seasoning.

Remove from heat, keep covered, and let stand a 2-3 min. Fluff with a fork then serve in the warmed dishes.

These are from my el-cheapo collection that has all my best rice recipes....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4

Could make some hotdog chili to freeze or can. 

Cheeseburger macaroni 

1lb of ground beef

1 cup chopped onion

1 can 14 1/2 oz stewed tomatoes (original recipe)

1 cup elbow macaroni

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. 

Brown meat and onions in large skillet, drain

add undrained tomatoes and 1 cup water, bring to boil. Stir in uncooked macaroni, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in cheese. 

You can add 1 tbsp. of bottled hot sauce or 1 tsp. dried red prepper flakes. 

• Like 1

Zucchini boat. (IDK the real name.)

Slice the zucchini in half long ways.  Hollow it out, dice the pieces you removed.  Fry them with the burger, mix in some tomato sauce, salt & pepper to taste.  Fill the zucchini slices, top with cheddar or mozzarella cheese and bake.

MIL uses bell peppers filled with hamburger, topped with tomato sauce & baked.

• Like 2

These look really super.  I am allergic to chocolate but I bet they’d be great with raisins too.  :yum3:

• Like 1

Those do look wonderful Midnightmom.  It will soon be zucchini season and I'll give them a try.  Unlike Mother, I'm not allergic to chocolate (which is really too bad :) ) 

I like the sound of everything in them and I shred and freeze zucchini for winter so I can make them all year long.  :feedme:

• Like 3