MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What’s Cookin’?

Today, I am baking a stuffed (regular stuffing) turkey.
Small pan of cornbread dressing.
Shrimp and grits dressing--this is just for me, no one else will eat it.
Mashed potatoes with homemade gravy.
Green bean casserole.
Thawed a package of Hawaiian rolls.
Yesterday, made a pumpkin crunch dessert and baked a frozen sweet potato casserole that was gifted to me.

I will give out some leftovers and we will have leftovers for weeks- some will be frozen.

• Like 5

Black-eyed peas soaked last night, but without baking soda because I couldn't find it.  Also, we are making corn bread with corn meal sifted out of the freshly ground chicken feed and some pancake mix, because the box of pancake mix is open, the new bag of flour is not, and it's the rainy season.  Don't have an oven, so the cornbread will start in the rice cooker and probably finish as two or three large broken pieces in the air fryer--which makes it wonderfully crunchy.

Not sure what else will end up on the menu. 

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 5

Started a Cajun spiced turkey earlier.   

Yesterday I made ambrosia, apple and cherry cheesecake tarts, cheeseball, deviled eggs.

Today I make green beans with mushrooms, rolls, sweet potatoes, dressing, cranberry sauce, onion gravy.    

I used to make green bean casserole, but I'm the only one left who likes that so I don't make it anymore.  I'd make more if we had more people, but we have shrunk from 30 to 4.  Things change over time.  We will have leftovers forever now.  

• Like 5

We had a small gathering, too.  Just five of us but we had Turkey Breast, green bean casserole, corn pudding, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, apple crisp, banana bread, sweet potato casserole, crackers, cheese, and pickles.    It was just enough fun for the two of us with lots of laughter and very little clean up.  Kept just enough leftovers for a couple of meals.  

• Like 4

Just got home about an hour ago from DGD's house. DD and SIL left for NC shortly after I did. 

Grand SIL made a chicken and sausage gumbo that was really good but too much spice for me. I can't handle the spice anymore. Like Dee said, 20 years ago that would be great.  Grand SIL's parents bought a ham and mashed potatoes but made up like twice baked potatoes and deserts. I took the green beans and sweet potato casserole. DD bought a cranberry salad, rolls and the plates and plastic silverware. There was a lot of food, and everyone bought something to DGD's house. 9 people there. We all had a great time. Even the dogs. 

Yep, I missed the turkey. Some of them don't eat turkey and they wanted a nontraditional Thanksgiving dinner, but all was really good.

• Like 3

Yesterday:

turkey/stuffing 

potatoes/gravy

green bean casserole 

candied sweet potatoes 

scalloped corn 
macaroni and cheese 

deviled eggs 

macaroni salad 

banana bread (with and without walnuts) 

rolls

meat/cheese tray 

relish tray 
pumpkin and apple pies 

cookies 

ice-cream 

Tonight: 

cookies :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have no leftovers as my DGD kept all the leftovers at her house to eat on. With a baby that fights sleep, I can't blame her. Just heat and serve for at least a couple of days.  

Tonight, I will cook minute stake with onions, potatoes and gravy, green beans, and not sure what else yet. 

• Like 1

Thanksgiving, at MIL’s was ham steaks, from a ham I smoked, mashed potatoes and cauliflower fried with a touch of seasoning salt & sprinkled with mixed cheese.  

Friday was leftover, from the pot roast, she made, Tuesday night, (she forgot about it and burnt it crisp!….we cut off the charcoaled part) I turned it into mulchaca, with corn tortillas with sour cream & guacamole.  

Saturday, I got  $30. off on 3 T-bone steaks, $20 for all, instead of $15/lb.  BBQed them, with a small garden salad and a small package of cole slaw.

Saturday was driving home…..  defrosted 6 cheese sausages with macaroni and cheese.  

Sunday was, a rack of ribs, pressure cooked with my sauce, then, BBQ’ed on the grill to firm them up, while cooking his Papa Cantrell jalapeño cheese hot links with hickory smoke.

Today, was green chili burritos… diced, boiled potatoes, fried, added minced onion, touch of garlic, cumin, & pepper, home roasted hot green chili and wrapped in a thin flour tortilla, fried like a chimichanga.  2 leftover, vacuum sealed for whenever he wants a microwaved quick meal in the middle of the night.  

• Like 1

WHOOHOO :cele:

One of my pints of venison has a false seal this morning. So into the fridge it went. Now I don’t even have to think up what to make for supper tonight... VENISON AND NOODLES!! :yum3:

• Like 1

DH is sick of turkey, and specifically requested hamburger with marinara.   My choices are meatloaf or spaghetti.   I'm not sure which way I'll tip tonight but it will be one of the two with green beans, mashed potatoes if meatloaf.   We still have leftover apple tarts so that is dessert.  They ate all the cherry tarts and claimed 'please please please make more cherry stuff.'  That is new.   I'm mostly stocked for apple and will need to lay in some cherry items.  

River (3) likes shredded mini wheat cereal.  She thinks they are cookies.  She will eat them dry as a snack --she got them out of the pantry and opened it herself.  That is also new.  

Tonight or tomorrow I am going to can some hot pepper jelly with serrano peppers.  I'm trying to decide if I want to use 1/2 c or 1 c jars.  

• Like 2

Supper was air-fried plantains, H's version instead of mine, and a thick slice of the local crumbly cheese, with tea.  

H's version is sliced in slices and cooked a lower temp, so they do not caramelize and stay more starchy, while my way is to cut them in wedges and cook them at a higher temp to maximize caramelization, getting all the sweet taste on that outside and getting a softer interior.

Both versions are good, and either way this is my favorite simple meal here.  

We were going to have avocado too, but the avocado was not quite ripe and I was not real hungry, so that's set aside for breakfast.

• Like 1

Tuesday made venison and noodles. Yesterday we polished off the leftovers. Tonight DH made venison burgers. Tomorrow, I think I’ll get the leftover sloppy joes out of the freezer to use up some of the leftover buns from tonight.

• Like 2

Sunday, DH made pancakes.

Yesterday, I made french toast

Tonight we had venison tacos. Plenty left over for the next couple of days. 

• Like 2

I opened up a can of my homemade soup for dinner last night Veg. beef. So having the rest tonight. I canned them in quart jars and that makes 2 meals for me. I really need to get busy on canning again as I am getting low on my soups. But will have to hold out till after first of year. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Leftover redo roundup between now and the New Year--whereby I try to empty my fridge and counter.  

Breakfast Casserole makes a 9x13 pan.  

Leftover croissants --a lot of mini enough to fill bottom of casserole.  

milk 4 1/2 c

eggs 6

diced ham 8oz

cheese enough to cover happily

Seasoning (cajun) to taste

Mix milk, eggs, seasoning.   Tear up croissants into greased casserole.  Place diced ham and cheese over it.  Pour milk over and allow to soak for an hour on the counter.  350F 45m During last 15m, drizzle with hot sauce and avocado siracha.  

French Dip Subs serves 2.  

Leftover prime rib to cover a bun

bolillo bun

leftover au jus from prime rib to cover meat in pan

Worcestershire sauce several splashes to taste

beef bullion to taste about 2 t

water  1-2c as needed.  

provolone 2 slices

Slice prime rib thin into a pot.  Add au jus, water, Worcestershire sauce, bullion to taste.  Heat through.  Slice bolillo bun in half and toast.   Pour au jus into 2 ramekins.  Put meat on bottom bun.  Top with 2 slices provolone and top bun.  Cult in half.  Serve with leftover caramelized onion dip and veggies.  

Individual Collard Soup

Into a large soup cup or a bowl place:

1/2 c collards 

1 1/2 c water

2 t chicken bullion

1/2 cut up smoked sausage

Splash of heavy cream

Seasoning of choice to taste (I used cajun)

Mix all and microwave 3m.  Stir.  Microwave another 3m.  Cool a bit and enjoy.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...