MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Good Morning. 

Sounds like you have things under control Kappydell, with your vehicle. MIL said it was a Subaru SUV that went backwards in her driveway. BTW, the Ladies are recovering nicely. They casted L’s arm, to keep it immobile and she is staying with a care giver until the collarbone has healed. J probably won’t need surgery, they think it missed any nerves and tendons in her hand. 

Crack.BOOM!   It’s stormy today. The rain and hail haven’t lasted long, but, it’s been on and off all night. Friday through yesterday it was extremely windy. whoosh!  I am not looking forward to finding out where the roof tiles came from. :sigh:  Everything else looks like it survived. At least we don’t need to water the lawn. Lol. 

Going on my trip, got me into winter mode. It was rather cold there. Here it was 93, according to the car, when I got back. I’ll be sorting clothes too, WE2. 

My sourdough starter needs feeding, it grew a nice layer of hooch while I was gone. The person who gave it to me, used my recipe yesterday...texting questions and pictures. Then a TY for the recipe. Glad it worked for him. 

Making another batch of buttermilk. I had to smile when DH told me he saved enough so I could make another batch. He’s such a sweetheart. :wub:

If the weather eases up, I hope to get the laundry done, God willing. I need to get some supplies too. Bought only the minimum before I left and need to re-stock some things.  :shopping:

• Like 2
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Cowgirl said:

That looks like a good stew for dogs. What do you do for calcium? Raw bones? Add bone meal?

Well, now I need to research what to add.  Hadn't thought about it or really even realized there was a lack!  Just followed the recipe.

Today, I'm catching up here and doing laundry. Chonda Pierce (Christian Comedian) show was really good! She's funny and a little sarcastic. I like her! Church yesterday and then home to clean bathrooms, dust, set up vitamins for the coming month, water plants and make egg salad for dinner. No Church last night or until time change as putting the goats to bed at night comes halfway through Church times. As of this morning, I have lost 47 pounds since July 11th. Go me! I think my thyroid meds are still too high as I am still not sleeping much, although the doc already lowered them once. DH is still sick and taking the Veterans bus up to the VA clinic in Jackson on Thursday. Wants me to stay home for animal care. He thinks they may admit him and I hope, if they do, they can get him straightened out some. Would be rough not being able to go see him, but I want him better! I think that's all for now. Will update when I can.

• Like 3

Today was a "burn day".  We had brush piles scattered about the upper yard from where we had trimmed branches off all the trees we took down & thinned out.  So today we burned quite a bit of 'stuff'.  One more day like this and we will be brush free.  Only saw one wee, little snake.  Mary asked what kind, I told her I didn't know, I am concentrating on learning to identify the six poisonous ones, rather than the 23 non poisonous ones.  

Mary is steamed.  Her VA disability claim was what they call a "complete claim" - all the documentation (six pounds of papers) and forms filled out by her and a VA claims rep, and now they are asking for MORE documentation and an outside medical exam.  I am trying to encourage her, telling her that they are making her jump thru hoops so they can justify giving her the claim, but I am not as certain of that as I would like.  It seems like the way the government works (from my experience at the state level).  Tomorrow I will go with her to her VA appointment, as she says she likes to have me along.  She will meet with her VA claim rep on the weekend, taking her emotional support dog along - it will be cheaper for one hotel bed than for two.  I will stay home & take care of the rest of the 'family' (5 dogs, 6 cats and one parrot...) and the garden (green beans are coming in now, and the green peppers are still putting out).  

Once we get our brush burned and RV cleaned out, the next project is to work on setting up our spare 'storage room' and get things out of our storage shed & carport storage area.  

I will be glad to have the piano in where I can play it again, set up our freezer in the car port (no room in the mobile home, and it does have a lock), and last but not least (for me) get my canner inside where I can start canning things again.  We gave quite a lot of our prep foods to our friend in Carolina, so we need to re-supply.  That means canning more meats.

A friend is giving us a huge can-rotation rack (holds 150 cans I think she said) which will be going into the walk-in closet in the 'store room'.  That is one reason we ordered a 4 bedroom mobile home in the first place.  Two bedrooms for us, one guest bedroom, and a store/prep/spare room. 

Our friend Deb (helped us move) says she loves the guest room (we decorated it in teal and sand colors, her favorites) so much that she left a set of clothes in the closet permanently.  It's not huge, but it is comfy with a "full" size (used to be called a double) bed and a comfy chair.  I'm eyeing a narrow (12 inches deep) shelf for the entry to hold keys, purse, a pretty tissue box, and the like.  With a pretty mirror it should add a welcoming touch.  I found teal colored bath back-scrubbing brushes & loofas to put in a nice basket with a nice fluffy towel set to finish it off.  Bring your own flip-flops!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

Miki, at the Service Dog Project they supplement their dogs with Tums tablets every day. They give the Danes two a day. Smaller dogs would probably only need one and a tiny dog maybe a half of one or maybe one every other day. 

A few times a year I buy them in bulk at Sam's Club and send them Fed-ex. Dogs think they are getting a treat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Praying that your hubby finally gets some health related answers! 

It really burns me up the way they make some people jump through hoops to get disability. Especially vets. 

I can still remember my cousin going through h3ll to get on it and she was on dialysis at the time. She worked in the bakery department at a grocery store and would come home crying because of the neuropathy in her feet. With all of that it still took over a year to qualify. That was in South Carolina. 

• Sad 1

I think I'm starting to get even with all of the telemarketers from India and Nigeria. I just keeping telling them that I can't understand a word they are saying. They will repeat it a couple of times then give up in disgust.  Hee hee. Welcome to my world Sanjay-vajayjay Singh. And I average 2-3 call a a day. If I could do an Indian accent I'd really have a good time then.

I even enjoy that little sigh of frustration I hear all the way from around the world. I think next time I'm going to ask if they Sprecken die Deutch.

Or better yet a little Chinese. At least I could converse a little in that. Ni hau sheng         shung Sanjay-vajayjay Singh. The IRS is on their way to your house right now to collect the money you owe then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any of you veterans or spouses, if you have not gone at least yearly for checkups or whatever, they will drop you and then it doesn’t matter your service record or rank you will be jumping through lots of hoops and sending mountains of paperwork.. the same papers you already sent.. but apparently if you do have a claim, if the hospital turns it in it is out of your hands and in the VAs.

• Thanks 1
On 10/22/2018 at 7:56 PM, Jeepers said:

Miki, at the Service Dog Project they supplement their dogs with Tums tablets every day. They give the Danes two a day. Smaller dogs would probably only need one and a tiny dog maybe a half of one or maybe one every other day. 

A few times a year I buy them in bulk at Sam's Club and send them Fed-ex. Dogs think they are getting a treat. 

Do Dane's have a Calcium lack or is this just a preventative?

15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I think I'm starting to get even with all of the telemarketers from India and Nigeria. I just keeping telling them that I can't understand a word they are saying. They will repeat it a couple of times then give up in disgust.  Hee hee. Welcome to my world Sanjay-vajayjay Singh. And I average 2-3 call a a day. If I could do an Indian accent I'd really have a good time then.

I even enjoy that little sigh of frustration I hear all the way from around the world. I think next time I'm going to ask if they Sprecken die Deutch.

Or better yet a little Chinese. At least I could converse a little in that. Ni hau sheng         shung Sanjay-vajayjay Singh. The IRS is on their way to your house right now to collect the money you owe then. 

I keep a whistle near the phone, and I give it a good huff and puff.  I'm down to not getting but one or two a week now! LOL

• Haha 1
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Cowgirl said:

That looks like a good stew for dogs. What do you do for calcium? Raw bones? Add bone meal?

Going to get bone meal.  Walmart was out until Spring.  Will have to figure out how much to add.  My recipe does around 16 pints but I have 10 - 15 pound dogs.

• Thanks 1

We2, they don't normally have a calcium deficiency but it's to supplement them because of what they feed them.

They get free left over cafeteria frozen roast beef from a local school and a deli. They have a walk in freezer and a wood chopper, both donated. Steve (another volunteer) keeps the frozen meat chopped up for the dogs.

Then Purina donates and delivers pallets of dog food every month or so, dry for the dogs and wet when there are puppies, and that is mixed in with the roast beef. Since most of their food is roast beef, the vet said to add some calcium.

BTW, the reason all of their out buildings are painted various colors is because Home Depot donates their left over or returned paint to them. Disney donates the dogs bedding that is no longer acceptable for their guests. In return, Carlene donates the dogs. I'm telling ya, that place runs on donations and volunteers!

Another BTW, if you are a veteran and have a Service Dog (not an emotional support dog) the VA will help cover the dogs medical care. 

Aren't you glad you asked. LOL 

• Like 3

Got a couple of blisters on my left knuckle...scrubbed down the bathroom today.  Sink, shower/tub, toilet and floors.  Sometimes they need a little "umphf" cleaning once in awhile!  But it's done so now about all I have to do is a daily wipe down.

Hubby's working on a job for an elderly lady who is getting ready to sell her home....her son hopes!  Rained off and on most of day so he couldn't do the roof vent.  Spent his time working to replace the wood etc., under a leaky kitchen sink.  Then a friend called and he needed a drippy faucet repaired.  He's visually impaired so can't do that kind of work and can't afford a licensed plumber fee of $60 house call plus.  His chair repair had to take a back seat this evening, and the homestead bathroom has been on hold for about 2 weeks.  "Someday"...:pray:...ever heard the catch phrase of "all the work gets done except for the honey-do's"?

• Like 2

...and son and his significant other have mended their riff and she's back.  Guess she decided to get her act together and stop playing head games.  She's probably had a rough life and got used to playing with people's minds to get attention?  Anyway...if he can live with her I can live near...LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday, DH went to the VA transport for his clinic appt. I washed sheets and flipped the memory foam pad on the bed. I've been sleeping on the same area for 7 years and am too cheap to go buy a new one yet. I got out the Tarnex and cleaned what silver jewelry I have. Then I made Fire Cider and then Buffalo Chicken Strips. Plus took care of dogs and goats, of course.

Today, I already have two large slow cookers going with dog food to can this afternoon. Got refund for broken meat grinder so will order another, probably from Walmart so it is easier to return if needed. Need to spruce up bathrooms and dust house. That is all I'm hoping to do.

DH got home from VA with more antibiotics, a different inhaler and will hopefully start getting better again!

• Like 3

Fire Cider is on this weekend's list.  Actually, it's most of the list.  Turns out I don't accomplish much when I have too many things to do, but when I have one thing, sometimes other things follow it.

• Like 2

We must all have caught the urge to do something! Yesterday we loaded up in Miss B and went Mennonite shopping...for November...a bit early.  Bought more hamburger and a fried turkey (that was so cheap we couldn't pass it up!) Also picked up about 8 cans of Progresso soups for 1$ a can...again, too cheap to pass up.  They had shelf stable milk, the smaller sized ones, buy one get one free, turkey gravy for 50 cents a can, and lots of other goodies.  Then off to our favorite Mennonite store on the opposite side our our county to re-stock on some my herbs and homemade soaps...ie: Sweet Rose for myself and 3 more bottles of my favorite Castille liquie soaps (Lavendar, Peppermint and T-Tree), coconut oil, a couple of small containers of candied Ginger (love that stuff...in the freezer...pull out, pop a piece or two in my mouth and chew...wonderful treat!) and a couple of containers of Catnip for my nightly tea if i need to relax.  Today I also chose to remove the old shower curtain and hang a new one.  Then mixed another spray bottle of hair softener (I use apple cider vinegar, a dash of lemon and several drops of Rose essential oils and water of course.) for the shower.  

Edited by The WE2's
forgot to add water! LOL
  • Like 4

Listened to my favorite Pastor (Francis Frangipane) and boy the the Lord give me a message that went straight to my heart!  Just think...Mary stood at the tomb of Jesus...in such deep grief...and when she saw the "gardener" begged..."just tell me where the body of Christ is".  When she was comforted by Jesus and wanted to latch onto Him, he said "No" because He had not yet ascended to the Father.  Just think...He stopped what he was doing to comfort her and plant the seed of faith in her heart that He was alive!  Just sharing my blessing.

• Like 4

Bless your DIL's heart, Ambergris. Those little things can mean so much when we can't do it ourselves. :hug3:

You were certainly busy We2. I'm getting that urge to start nesting for winter too. Happens to me every November.

I've been reading the apps and PDF manual for the Indiana drivers license. I took a practice test and flunked. Dang. I always forget how many feet before you signal to turn and who has the right away at a 4 way stop. Sigh. Usually we all just sit there until someone (usually me) waves someone else through. Oh, and how many points different infractions represent. My memory is already shot. I can't remember all of that stuff. They asked a couple of questions about motorcycle rules. I didn't read that part. I'm not getting a motorcycle license. At this rate I may not be getting a drivers license either. :blush: 

I told son I'm never moving to another state again. I knew this would happen. This is it for me. I know how to drive and I know the rules of the road. It's just all of those numbers and legal questions that trip me up. If I ever need to know about points and suspensions I'll look it up if it pertains to me. I'm too old for this stuff. 

• Like 5

Joined some of our friends last night at a good old country hayride and hotdog roast!  So relaxed and then we had a contest of who could imitate the coyotes, cows or ???  They were such hoots!  Wanna see? 

IMG_0986 Gebhart Hayride 2018.jpg

jPhil & Bev 2018.jpg

• Like 4