MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

cast iron

Right now I have a favorite skillet that has that non-stick lining. So now I hear thats bad for you. I have a small iron skillet that I use for cornbread. EVerything else is just plain metal. I got a catalog from a place that sells Lodge cast iron and you can get it pre-seasoned. Is this good? I'd like to switch to cast iron whe the funds become available.

Is there a way to keep stuff from sticking? I'm going to have an electric stove when we move and I really like gas better. I tend to burn stuff on electric ones. Any hints on cast iron would be appreciated! Should I get rid of all the regular stuff and just use cast iron?

Thanks!

I have done that, except... my dh insisted on a non stick for when he cooks bacon ( that is about all he cooks.) Otherwise I use stainless steal or cast iron. I did read that the non stick is not good for you too, so I try to avoid it completely. Dh had salvaged his old favorite non stick pan out of the trash twice ... third times the charm though, I finally got rid of it, then I bought him a nice new one.... I paid about 25.00 for a HUGE cast iron skillet I found in the sporting goods dept at walmart. The pan is big and beautiful!!!

If you get your pans well-seasoned, they'll be better than any non-stick pan out there, I swear to you! I can make crepes in my cast iron, and if you can make those, it's as good (better IMO) than non-stick.

The pre-seasoned stuff that's for sale , I believe, has been seasoned once. It's still good to season it some more. I think you need to season about 5-6 times before you have a really GREAT seasoning on your pans. I think alot of the cast iron manufacturers are trying to sell pre-seasoned, probably so cast iron doesn't scare off people LOL! The pre-seasoning isn't enough to cook something that would normally stick in a pan, though. When you get it home, just rinse it out, dry it on the stove (or in the oven) and slap it up with some shortening or fry something greasy in it (bacon and sausage are the best for this). If you *cook* your pan in the oven with the grease/shortening on low (250 degrees is great) for between 30 minutes and an hour, it's greatly improve the seasoning on your pan. If you use your oven one night for dinner, grease up your pan again and throw it in the oven after you turn it off (that way you can utilize the heat as your oven cools and not have to turn the oven on just for seasoning you pans).

A great place to find cast iron (as long as you have the patience to clean it up!) is at a junkyard. I have gottne probably 18 of my 25+ pieces from the local junkyard/salvage-yard. You pay by the pound, so it's MUCH cheaper than buying new. I got probably 15 pieces for 60.00 from there...can't beat that! Just a thought for you

Shawna

I love my cast iron and have several pieces (12), but I do have other pans because I don't like to boil things in my cast iron and so I use other pans for that. I use them on the stove and in the oven. They are great to make stuff in and then stick in the oven to wait for everyone to get home to eat. My problem comes with lids...don't have enough of them the right size.

Phatkat--I read your last statement as "My problem comes with KIDS...don't have enough of them the right size." LOL! I thought, "Hm...she must like her kids to help with the cooking..." Oh, my poor eyes...I need new glasses! 0073.gif

To get back on topic, I love cast iron, but it's too heavy for me to lift now so I use my Revereware stainless steel. A friend of mine had a cast iron skillet that was old, old, old...that thing was jet black and so slick, it was great!

Another good place to get cast iron is through freecycle. I put out on my local group that I would take any cast iron that no one wanted and I ended up with a brand new set by Lewis and Clark in the wood box that someone had been given as a gift and never used...a dutch oven, 2 griddles,5 skillets of various sizes, a bag for the skillets and a gingerbread house set. The couple just didn't want to go to the trouble to learn how to use them . oh well, their loss, my gain.

Stacy

Thank you everyone! I'm going to have to get some cast iron. I have a little really old cast iron skillet but I have only made cornbread in it.

Everytime I see cast iron at the thrift store it is rusty and I didn't know if that ruined it or not. Dogmom4, you got a great set! I'm green!

As for bad for you? (Just saw that item in the post) Yeah, Nonstick isn't supposed to be used over high heat. It can produce a toxic fume that can kill birds - rather like the canary down the mineshaft. Use non-stick to saute and such, but don't use it on really high flames. (Just to be on the safe side)

I inherited my dad's cast iron skillet from when he was in college. My next piece of cast iron with be a dutch over with a lid.

I firmly believe in not using soap on the skillet, as it dissolves the oil seasoning. I scrub it out and use a bit of salt if I can't get it clean.

I've cooked meat and veggies in it, I've cooked spaghetti (tomatoes also eat at the seasoning), I've cooked cornbread and cakes.

It goes camping with me (I haven't done any backpacking trips yet - I'm thinking it probably won't go along on those) and is one of the first things that gets unpacked when I move. I've also threatened a few peoples' lives over it and with it.

I love cast iron.

MistyLady,

We found a wonderful cast iron dutch oven and lid at a thrift store that was very rusty. We brought it home, scoured the heck out of it and proceeded to season it like it was new. We have enjoyed this peice for many years now!

As long as the piece has no cracks, don't let rust deter you from grabbing a deal on cast iron!

I did have one CI pot that I could not recover. I had sanded it and seasoned it and used it and the meat had a funny orangey brown color to it and it tasted weird...it was rust. I gave it to a friend who put it through a whole series of seasoning it...burning it in a fire...soaking it with vinegar and baking soda, sanding it, slowly heating it filled with lard, and finally baking it at 250 for 2 days coating it occasionally with lard. Even at the end of all that, it would still turn everything orangey brown...but that is only one piece in all the pieces that I have ever worked with...so it's okay to take the chance with second hand pieces. The pot in question had been used as a flower container with no holes in it.

I have 4 CI skillets (varied sizes) and one large non-stick. My favorite CI is one that I salvaged from my grandpa's-(he was using it in the barn for a cat dish ughhh). It was covered with a greasy stuck on mess. Took it home and washed it-but couldn't get that stuff off, so I stuck it in the broiler drawer under the oven and forgot about it. Well, awhile later-probably weeks-when I was gonna broil something I found that pan and the heat from using the oven had burnt the stuff out of the inside (top) of the pan. So I broiled whatever it was and then turned the CI pan upside down and put it back in there for a few more weeks and burnt the stuff off the bottom. There was so much build up that you couldn't make out the name on the bottom (didn't think there was one)-well, after burning it all off, it's a Griswold. Seasoned it good and it's one of the best pans I've ever had.

I have probably 10 other CI pans that I hardly ever use, but they are all good. I really like the Wagner-my other 3 CI pans that I use all the time are Wagner's. Don't know why, but the Lodge's seem heavy in comparison???

A friend of mine swears by sand to clean out really stuck on stuff-he lives on the lake. I've never had anything stick so bad that I couldn't get it out with a plain old washcloth, hot water (NO soap), and elbow grease. The only problem I've ever had with sticking is trying to fry pre-cooked potatoes???? Still can't figure out why-therefore the non-stick skillet.

I've got a pair of Lodge CI skillets. I love my small one, but th ebig one is not as good. It won't take a good seasoning no matter what I do. I've been using it for about 10yrs and it still lacks a prper seasoned surface. My small skillet is great though! Both skillets have been in use the same length of time, and treated/mistreated the same way, so I don't know why the big skillet won't season up like the little one. Maybe I just need a new skillet?

Cast iron skillets are the only skillets I have. I make everything from frying bacon, to baking pizza in them. I would hold on to your money and buy them used. Yardsales, auctions, even the dump is a great place to "make a find" of something really neat.

I do use soap on mine, I guess I just can't get over the "if you don't use soap, its not really clean" thing. But I can still fry an egg in my skillets without breaking the yolk so I can't be ruining it too bad LOL

This weekend I only hit ONE garage sale, but there was a box sitting there with 2 cast iron skillets in it. Brand new, still with bubble wrap between. One 10 inch, one 12 inch. The box says Wenzel 1887 Cast Iron Cookware (large pine? box with rope handles at each end and a hinged lid). Asked how much and she said 20.00 - when I hesitated (my whole garage sale budget lol) she added "I can throw in this tortilla skillet" which says No.8 HG 91/8 inch on the bottom. Nothing on the bottom of the big skillets, but they are preseasoned, and the tortilla skillet is well used and well seasoned. Did I do ok????

Dora

Love iron, Partner doesn't as it "Wastes gas in heat up times" Which is true but it doesn't stop me using it.

Oh great tip up there somewhere about seasoning in a cooling down oven.

A well seasoned iron pot pan etc can be cleaned by boiling vinegar in it.

Or from cooking, empty then add freezing water pour it off so it boils the dribble of water left, and remove dirt with a deternegt free cloth.

Quote:
Love iron, Partner doesn't as it "Wastes gas in heat up times" Which is true but it doesn't stop me using it.

True, but it saves gas as once heated it can be turned down and it holds heat longer after gas is off.

Can be tossed in oven to keep food warm, so saves in reheating.

Saves money in having to buy new pans when they wear out-CAST LASTS!

Archived