MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Price of Eggs

We went shopping today (finally) and found that the price of eggs has almost DOUBLED since Jan 9. Before, my usual 5 dozen eggs was almost $5.00, now it's almost $9.00. I just stood there open mouthed for a second.

I'm wondering what the problem is with this? Is anyone else noticing it, or is it a regioinal thing? Most of our eggs are fairly local, so if it's regional, should be temporary, due to livestock loss following the blizzards.

FYI, if your region is supplied with Colorado beef, expect a huge price increase in the next year. While we did not lose as many cattle (so far) as the estimates would be, we are losing a lot of CALVES, so there will be fewer cows next season (fewer ranchers, as well, in our county alone we will probably lose about 15% within the year, more in the next two). Locally we've seen moderate price increases but not too bad. I will be stocking up on ground beef, buying it every shopping trip, until it gets prohibitively expensive.

Mo7

Eggs here were $1.29 a dozen 2 weeks ago. I thought that was high, since they are normally under a dollar. BUT last week they were up to $1.99 a dozen, for medium eggs and $2.79 for large.

I usually buy 6 dozen eggs a week, but I only bought 2 dozen last Friday. Then, after we got home, I found 2 eggs in the henhouse. My girls are starting to lay again! YAY!!! We're getting about 6 a day now. (Soon I'll be complaining about getting too many LOL)

Hamburger has been cheap all fall and winter here. (We have a new grocery store, so the old one is competing for business. We're having hamburger wars) Anyway, I've been buying 10 to 20 pounds a week and making hamburger rocks out of some and freezing some. (I prefer the rocks for storage cuz we lose our power so often)

Our usual price for eggs $2.89 for medium and $3.29 for large and that is caged eggs, free range are more again.

Meat - cheap ground beef is $7 up to $11 a kilo for premium, a good beef steak can be $20 a kilo or more. Our prices are affected by the drought conditions the country is apparently suffering from.

Sue

I'm feeding 8, most of the time - 2 adults, 5 teenagers, and a 8 yo. I make everything from scratch and cook every meal. We never eat out and the kids are home all the time (I homeschool). It's nothing to fix 2 dozen eggs for breakfast.

Just realized that I haven't bought eggs since early last summer. ) One of the green layers died. Will be getting more of these if they tend to lay all winter.

Will probably need to buy a couple dozen before summer, so will start watching for deals and get em then.

Necie, I wish I had even one hen that would set. I have 80 chickens and none of them will hatch babies for me. I would love to have more for meat, but I'm too lazy to raise more and too cheap (make that frugal) to buy more.

Well that explains the spike in price at Honeyville Grain for bulk dehydrated whole eggs. I was considering buying 50 pounds. It was about $130.00. It's now over $150.00

I haven't been to the store in a few weeks so I don't know what our prices are - yet.

i guess all the culling is catchingup?

i buy 30 eggs at a time, and 1 flat costs me about 6 dollars. it lasts us a week or so. depending on what we eat that week.

We can go through as little as a doz, up to 2 or 3 doz per week, pending what's on the menu, and of course, how spunky I feel about filling the freezer with goodies, LOL. Some weeks, I make a LOT of muffins (as many as 45-60), some weeks I cook a HUGE brek, which takes about 8 eggs, yada yada. Pancakes we do a lot of, that's 2 eggs per batch. Some weeks we do just one day of muffins and the rest of the week is things like PB toast, oatmeal or farina.

We can go through 2 doz eggs in a month for 4 of us, but while DD was home that jumped to 3 doz a fortnight! She is not a cereal eater and was having bacon and eggs fro breakfast when she was working.

Sue

we eat a lot of eggsalad and a potato salad...then theres the baking. lol i make deviled eggs for snacks sometimes.

i LOVE poached(or hard boiled) eggs with balsamic vinegar sprinkled on.

Archived