MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Any canning going on right now?

Originally Posted By: preparing
How many tomato plants do you have? Corn, now this DarleneSwoon

Would you believe 12??? I have had as many as 28 a couple of years ago, but this year I planted an heirloom called "Marion". I have NEVER seen such heavy yeilds of tomatoes off of any plants before and they have hardly any seed and they are very, very meaty! I get 2 of the 5 gallon buckets full every time I pick (about ever 3 to 4 days) and by the time I get them all strained out, I end up with about enough sauce for 8 quarts when it's cooked down to where the spoon stands up in it.

I have done three pickings so far and I would bet there are at least another three more out there yet. DarleneSwoon

Q
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they had blueberries for 99cents a pint clamshell. So I got one lol. Today DH says "do you think there are any left?" so we went back and they had a pallet of them. We got 5 more. Want to can just the berries (light syrup?) so I can figure out later whether to do pie or cobbler, etc. We do not eat a lot of blueberries, but couldn't pass it up LOL

Went to early worship service so I could make my salsa and use up the tomatoes today. Getting pretty ripe so did not want to hold over another day. Got 11 pints and all sealed. I am happy. Also, was given 12 quarts of green beans yesterday and put them up. They were somewhat large for my taste, but still very well worth canning.

Yesterday I did 3 quarts cherries, 5 pints apricots, 10 1/2 pints apricots, and 11 1/2 pints cherry/apricot jam.

The fruit man called me around 8:30 and asked if I was interested in yellow plums, so today I have to get everything ready to can 20 lbs of those! (at .50 cents a lb I couldn't resist!)

10 quarts of meatless chili yesterday and now 9 quarts regular chili today. Poor pressure canner is getting a real work-out this week. grin And DH says I have about another 75 or so ripe tomatoes again! DarleneSwoon

Q

Saturday our youngest son brought me a small bucket of apricots. He told his wife and MIL "Mom can make jam!". So Sunday evening I made 16 half-pints of apricot/pineapple jam and 9 of apricot-plum jam. Hubby kinda growled at me when I went to the backyard at 10 pm and pick some plums by flashlight. Didn't have enought 'cots for another batch, so I had to improvise. Yummy and pretty.

If I can ever figure out the post pictures thing..... O well

I am gonna chime in since I finally got to can out of the garden! In the past week or two, I've done 37 pints of beets, 9 pints of bread and butter pickles, 30 quarts of beans (did these with a friend and we split them!), and my MIL did dill beans from beans in our garden. I also have pickles in the crock that'll be ready to can tomorrow. Going to do dill pickles and more green beans today.

Have a great day everyone!

Shawna

I pickled 1.5 pounds of garlic last week, and i pickled another 5 pounds today.

the garlic was on sale 1kg for $1.28, regular price $1.79(still a screamin' deal) but when I went through the checkout it came up as the regular price so they did a price check, and saw that it was indeed on sale, so they only charged me for 2 or the 3 1kg bags. so less than 3 dollars for 3kg of garlic. laugh I will pickled 5 pounds of it, and the rest I willbe chopping up and simmering in vinegar for garlic jelly.

I have plans for making some orange mint jelly, apple mint jelly.

Have 7 - 1/2 pints of wild plum butter made from the pomace from the steamer juicer. Still have a gallon of juice for jelly in the fridge.

I didn't do any major canning, but I did put up 7 quarts of okra in the freezer. That's about it. Made several jars of jelly with some of the blackberry and huckleberry juice I had. Not much. But will be going into town to do some shoppingcarttomorrow though. Take care everyone. wave

Chow Chow is people food.

60 Tomatoes

8-12 Onion-depending on size

4 Cups of sugar to taste

1 Tea ball of pickling spice

Optional-2 Red Jalapeno's

Optional-Salt to taste

Chop everything up and cook until thick (about 3-4 hours)

Put in clean jars leaving 1/2" headspace and seal

No precessing needed

A good one we use...

For Kosher Dill Pickles, Okra, Green Tomatoes, and Cucumbers

To each jar add...

1 Teaspoon fresh dill or Dill seed

2-3 cloves of garlic

Add 1 small hot or Jalapeno pepper

Add vegetables to jars and set to the side

In a pan put...

1 quart of white vinegar

2 quarts of water

1/2 cup non-iodized salt

Bring this to a boil. Pour over into jars and seal. No processing needed.

The water-vinegar-salt can be doubled or tripled depening on your jar size. Salt can be adjusted to taste.

Archived