MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi! New in the neighborhood...

PureCajunSunshine

Hi there,

I've scrolled back through some of your posts to get an idea of who you are, and I'm looking forward to meeting the folks that make this place look so good!!!! Nice manse this is, with so many big rooms, and a gazillion practical topics!!

So you'll know who I am...

My name is Sharon, and I am an old transplanted Louisiana Cajun/los Islenos/Cherokee Indian from New Orleans & Barataria-Lafitte area. That sure looks a lot like a mutt's pedigree.

I came to this wilderness area about 10 years ago to build my home on the north side of a beautiful mountain. (North side of a mountain is not so tornado prone, so I hear... Is that really true?)

Unfortunately I have bad timing...went back "down south" to visit family and friends, and got hung up in Hurricane Katrina on the Mississippi coast. This was one wild time, f'sure. Ha! They all tell me I've moved from Hurricane Valley to Tornado Alley...and that I shouldn't get too awful homesick about windy weather because there's plenty enough tornadoes here.

I spent the first 3 years here alone, camping without running water, no electricity, and no phone, etc. etc. (I originally thought I would only be camping for absolutely no more than three to four months). Ha ha ha. For three YEARS, I had to put ALL of my survival / homesteading / back-to-basics /self-sufficiency skills & knowledge to work! (This heavy daily experience came in very handy during and after Hurricane Katrina, various ice storms, etc.). I also discovered many things that are NOT usually found in books and magazines. LOL. It has been a never-ending adventure of The Unexpecteds.

A few years ago, a friend came to help build my home. This sped things up considerably. We're laying out the final floor tiles now...It's been almost like a black comedy of sorts. The really amazing thing is: we're still very close friends!

I'll be tickled to share my knowledge of wild edibles, herbal medicine, organic gardening, hide tanning, bowhunting, primitive living skills (atlatl, etc.), Cajun/Creole cooking, etc. etc.

I also have a few tips and tricks for "extreme" survival that I learned from the school of hard knocks. "The Edge" forum should be just right for some of those!

Looking around here, I can see I'll be enjoy learning new stuff. I love the way a lot of your threads evolve into many new ways around old problems!

'til later,

Sharon

Welcome to MrsSurvival Sharon! We're so glad you've joined us.

You've definitely had some unique experiences...we look forward to you sharing them with us futher, as they will prove invaluable to the membership as a whole. We have a few members that have walked similar paths as you...westbrook, motherearth, Mother are just a couple that come to mind, so I'm sure you're going to feel right at home here!

Sit down and put your feet up for a while. The others will be here soon and be offering you all kinds of goodies...for now, I have a pot of coffee I'll share with ya...most people aren't awake this early in the morning...lol

17.gif Sharon!

All I can say is wow.gif... THREE YEARS???

Can't say I'd have that much stamina. I mean, I *like* camping, but that's an awfully LOOOOONG camping trip... DarleneSwoon

Just curious... which state is your mountain in? I'm trying to figure out a "Tornado Alley" mountain, and that's pretty rare. Tornadoes like the flat places... more stuff to "catch", ya know???

So glad you found us, so glad you're jumping in!

bighug

welcome6 Sharon. I'm so glad you've joined us. I hope, after all your experiences, that we can still teach you something, rather than us just learning from you! I echo the others in saying that I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Darlene: Coffee did you say?? Someone once told me that I drink so much of it, I oughta just put the stuff in an IV bottle and "get it over with"...been considering it ever since. I need to work on getting un-addicted to it, tho.

Thanks for the hat tip about westbrook, motherearth, and Mother...birds of a feather are we? That tickles me to no end! If I can only contribute half of what any one of them do, I'd be doing pretty doggoned good.

Cat: Yes, three stinking years camping alright. Never expected that to happen. But, Murphy's Laws, you know...all 4,547 of them. But not all at once. I really missed not having a cell phone work in these mountains. I still have to drive for a few miles to get reception. Got land-line now! And unlimited long-distance ; )

BTW Cat, I settled in a wilderness area that has super long mountain ranges and valleys, unlike the regular up and down and 'round and 'round mountains. The long and wide valleys here act as corridors for the storms and tornados. The thunder here is awesome, bouncing from one mountain range to the other. Sounds almost like a Nature/Mood CD, complete with "surround sound".

SueC, rootdigger, westbrook, Lois, HSmom, halfpint: Ya sure? Some are real misadventures! Well, at least some of you may learn from a few of my best "monuments to stupidity", LOL!

ArmyOfFive4God, I love your name.

westbrook: duh huh...I can taste a chocolate fight coming on...I'll meet you under the old oak tree behind the barn at high noon. Bring yer best chocolate or don't bring yourself at all. Looking forward to getting to know you...if we survive death by chocolate, that is.

mistylady, are you the same Misty that pointed me to here? If you are, hey, thanks! If you're not, thanks anyway, especially for the warning about the westbrook's fast draw...

pauline: Yes, to fitting in your family. This place looks a lot like what I've been looking for for a long time. I've peeked into a boatload of boards, and came away thinking...now I wish I could find a board that had a little of this one, that one, and them over there... Well hey, it looks like I got my wish.

TO ALL: Thanks for making me feel so welcome, AND thanks for the good job you're doing to help folks prepare for some nasty curveballs life might throw our way! I'll be referring this site to new preppers. Your friendliness and knowledge will surely help make the business of preparing for survival a lot less scary and more doable.

'til later,

Sharon

Hello and Welcome welcome3

If you've got any kind of sense of humor, you will fit right in.

chocobun

Amber :ebay:

chocobun there's my answer!

I'm SO newhere

earthqua <--- me, for the first year camping (I am hearing impaired). Many times I imagined scary bad stuffeekthat (probably) wasn't even there.rollingeyes

coffee2 I need to quit doing this so much,

and do more fishing and lois so I can bring ya'll some

bouquet from my garden.

--Sharon

LOL Welcome to MrsS Sharon! I know Im a bit late. But reading all your posts in this thread have been well worth it. You will definately have to tell us your adventures of your 3 year camping trip. I can see it will be filled with lots of information as well as humor!

bighug

Welcome again!

Hi Sharon, Welcome to the family. You will love it here, for sure. Looking forward to your adventures on the mountain. My DH has family in the Alma, Ar area. Beautiful country!

Archived