MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Please welcome Susie!

PureCajunSunshine

Hey, y'all...please welcome Susie...

(I see she has found her old registration password to here!)

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to her about this site, and of how I thought the guys and gals here make this place one of the most progressive survival sites on the internet...and that I hoped she would join us.

She is a dear friend from France, and is one of the most forward seeing--and thinking--preppers I've ever met. She is also a rare visionary who sometimes makes my mind see--and wrap around--the things I'd sometimes rather not...(she is forward-thinking, like I said!). I love her innovative solutions to thorny survival problems, too. I hope she sticks around, 'cause she would be a great addition to the Mrs. Survival family!

--Sharon

Oops! I see that I am a bit late to my own welcome party!

Hi everybody (and thanks, Sharon). I've not brought chocolate or wine, but confit and paté, instead...and ducknecks (very good braised, or in soup).

So here I am, stuck in SW France. This is far, far away from the US and Hawaii where I grew up. The internet sure does help.

Not that France is so bad...the education is great and social system is wonderful for family life, and my four kids get to grow up bilingual. I live in a small town deep in the countryside, and there are plenty of grannies who have taught me ways to preserve and prepare and to think in ways that I could never have imagined before...as you will see, when I tell you about them in my posts.

Most people in France cook from scratch, although frozen stuff from the supermarkets is becoming available. Lunchtime in my town is delicious...you only need a baguette and you ca walk down the lane and get filled up from the smells alone. None of this snacks and sandwiches, over here, but three course meals with soup at least once a day. Mmmm!

I've always been a prepper...my mom says that I should've been a Mormon...I'm not sure where it comes from. Maybe the whole role of growing up to become 'woman and mom', maybe the stories from my own mom about what it was like during the war in Germany, maybe because I read 'The 900 Days' at the impressionable age of eleven (I liked to read, and that was available. I also read Xaviera Hollander's 'The Happy Hooker' at the same age, yet didn't go into prostitution for a living)?

I keep myself busy with the real world stuff, and also manage to go to a board or two for 'conversational purposes'..and once even got mysef banned from one (the SHAME of it!). But...you can count on me to be honest and upfront, friendly and sometimes even funny, and I try real hard for diplomacy and tact.

I've had it whispered into my ear that I have to dress properly and not use cusswords in here. Does this mean that I have to abstain from the discussion of politics? My dad was a US Army Colonel and my brother also an officer, and I do love the US and all it stands for...but sometimes the way the country is run gets up my nose.

And...before someone else tells...I am not an American citizen. I was meant to be, but my dad never got around to doing the paperwork (he married my German mom and I was already there), so I only have a greencard. I don't even speak German.

So here I am, glad to be here. susie

What? Pate' and NO chocolate or wine? what kind of French person are you anyway? you know that they say.. when in France.....!

Nice to meet you ... and about the dressing properly... ya mean jeans, shirt and boots ain't proper? and cuss words.. won't let ya cuss here! a filter cause children are sitting in Mom's laps while Mom's are reading. I know, my 19 year old daughter does that sometimes, sits in my lap for a hug while I am on the computer.. come to think of it... she does cuss!

Aren't you the one who posted here last year, from SW France?

Quote:
It's me. I live in SW France...right smack in the middle of zillions of ducks and chickens, with a pig abbatoire (slaughterhouse), just down the road. Pigs from as far away as Denmak and Spain come to get turned into sausages.

Your name was changed in the "strange name follies" to "Missabruce".

Link to susie's old post

If so, I've often wondered how you are!!

bighug

Originally Posted By: susie

Most people in France cook from scratch, although frozen stuff from the supermarkets is becoming available. Lunchtime in my town is delicious...you only need a baguette and you ca walk down the lane and get filled up from the smells alone. None of this snacks and sandwiches, over here, but three course meals with soup at least once a day. Mmmm!

---> Oh, I forgot to mention that Susie is a fantastic prep cook and also Old School French cook. Heh. Continental French folks and Louisiana French folks cook alike, but with a different spin...all so good. I smell a make-you-sigh cooking war coming on already.

I've always been a prepper...my mom says that I should've been a Mormon...I'm not sure where it comes from. Maybe the whole role of growing up to become 'woman and mom', maybe the stories from my own mom about what it was like during the war in Germany, maybe because I read 'The 900 Days' at the impressionable age of eleven...

---> The 900 Days? I've heard of the book, but have not read it yet. Please get thee over to the "Within these Pages" forum and give me your thoughts on the book, and how it converted you into a lifelong prepper. Have any of your kids read it?

Originally Posted By: Cat
Aren't you the one who posted here last year, from SW France?

Quote:
It's me. I live in SW France...right smack in the middle of zillions of ducks and chickens, with a pig abbatoire (slaughterhouse), just down the road. Pigs from as far away as Denmak and Spain come to get turned into sausages.

Your name was changed in the "strange name follies" to "Missabruce".

Link to susie's old post

If so, I've often wondered how you are!!

bighug

Yep, that was me...but who is Missabruce?

We had a break-down on this website. When we came out of that, many of the names were switched to other ones, mostly a name of a person who had registered just before them.

Many of the moderators, and all of the administration, were just *deleted*. ALL of their posts... *POOF*! DarleneSwoon

When we upgraded the system later, somehow they all *poof*ed back, but now they're all by "anonymous". When I find them and can figure out who it was, I try to put "posted by ****" at the bottom, but it's an impossible task to do them all.

Most of the odd names, like "Missabruce", registered but never posted, which at least lessens the confusion. Kimba and I are forever linked... her posts turned into "Cat". happy02

Anyway, we're glad you're back...

bighug

GOODMORNINGORANGEJUICE.gif and WELCOMEMATFORFALL.gif .

When there was some work done on the site, we all, or most of us ended up with our posts being under different names. Mine all ended up under 'Logcabinmama'. So, it was your post, but the name is changed. smile

HAPPYTHURSDAY1-1.gif4zmre5x.gifHUGS34.gif

The book is 'The 900 Days'. It's all about the blockade of Leningrad by Hitler and his gang, during the war. The people starved. They were eating shoe leather soup. And babies.

Okay, it's not Stephen King...it's not fiction, it really happened...and you'll be scared, I can tell you!

Here is a link to a summary of the book:

http://www.curledup.com/900days.htm

And there was music written, too.

http://it.stlawu.edu/~rkreuzer/pmcginley/seventh.html

This is NOT the music that I will be listening to during any pandemic....not after reading that book.

I found this paragraph in the book review quite revealing and telling:

" There was heroism, too - after the water supply was cut off, brigades of half-starved women daily handed water buckets up from holes in the ice to ensure that bakers would still be able to produce the only food left for a desperate populace. But one reason, arguably, why Salisbury's morbid accounting of events was not given parlor space in the Russia of 1969 is that there was less of heroism and more of horror than the official propaganda machine wanted known. Horror that could have been prevented."

Welcome back Susie! I haven't figured out the dress code here, but watch out for Darlene or she will have you mowing grass in a bikini and wearing mini-skirts and high heels to scrub floors!

I too have been told I should have been a Mormon. Well I have a number of Mormon friends and we get along nicely.

I have to look into that 900 Days book. It looks very interesting.

Susie..

I'm New here as of yesterday but if you hold my hand and lean backwards and i hold your hand and lean forwards we just might get thru these Forum without falling... darlenedance

Welcome: I'm so glad your here.

Happycamper

Archived