MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I had ENOUGH excitement today

cookiejar

Hi,

I had a pretty interesting day. I got to admit, when they mentioned it involved Turkey Point Reactor though, that..THAT was a little scary. paranoid.gif

No power, shut down Nuclear power plants...shut down state.

gridlock, stop lights out, schools on lock down. Phones were out, cell phones out. Scary when the life alert went off for a family member (apparently it trigger all the life alerts!)and we had to do the track down. BTW all is well.

I had a full tank of gas, took side streets, made it home carefullllllyyyyy and was ready with all my *hurricane gear* but by 5:30 (?) we had power back. Coming off Hwy. 95 at the time it happened was wee bit tooooo close to a certain story wink

I counted my blessings. I was not on the 50 floor of a building. I was not on the train. All of mine eventually got home fine.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/26/florida.power/index.html

http://www.wftv.com/news/15415018/detail.html

Glad you are OK Cookie!!! I just saw the news that the power came back on... happy to see your post!

I appreciate the hugs and support. But it was more stressful than a true dilema. Honestly. As you've all said before it's the suddeness and the not knowing that makes us prep-folk nuts. grin

Real quick! Some positives and things to know! As you know without going into my private life I'm tied heavily into the schools as are most of my family/loved ones.

The schools did great. They have backup radios systems so when the phones fail basic info connects.In school, ye old fashioned kid messengers came back into fashion.

Some school districts will NOT run the buses if the power is out to the stop lights for liability reasons. Meaning go get your kid. They had a *soft* lockdown meaning kids can't leave but parents can come get. ( a small % of schools had a *failing* meaning kids and teachers just up and left! :o)

Good old paper student locaters still exist. Handicapped kids are located and ye old husky guys stand ready to carry them down staircases and out if needed. smile

People remembered 4 way stop from the hurricane season.

Life alert works.

People discovered that living or working on the 50th floor isn't such a cool thing. And elevators stuck really sux. Back up generators don't always pop on automatically. happy02

Our police coordinated well.

The TV news stations will cheerfully and in detail explain how to shutdown the grid blatently forgetting the terrorist are watching too. 1.gif

Try more than one phone number, not all cellphone systems failed from overload.

Using my map and backstreets I got home fine if slowly. Our full-tank syndrome came in handy. grin If you live next to a big city-get a map of that city.

Yes, I DID have Mippy and my taser out real quick when I got home til all the power was up and all were home okay. No towel racks were harmed in the making of this post. (Newbies that's a long story). :dualgun:

It *became* scary when they used explosion and nuclear plant in the same sentence without a clear explantion on the news.

Nothing. Absolutely NOTHING stops Disney. rofl

2.gif

eek OH heavens Cookie explosion and nuclear plant same sentence! I would look into digging a hole and linning it with lead real quick.

I am so glad you are okay. I was away from news pretty much all day yesterday, took hubby to doctor and I was surpised that this office didn't have a tv with the news going it didn't have a tv at all...oh well. But last night while watching the news I saw where GA was pounded with storms, FL had parts pounded by the storm and parts were blacked out. Geez I sit in the doctors office for half a day and you people let things just fall apart DarleneSwoonrofl

Glad to know the towel rack is okay and of course Mickey is unstoppable he is a world unto himself.

Glad to hear you got through the black out fine, having all your ducks in a row and ready for whatever comes your way. There were even blackouts in central and west Fl. here tho we weren't affected here. We were contending with that nasty squall line coming in from the Gulf. My youngest grand girl had her kitty in her arms wanting to know "do we get in the tub yet?" Bless her heart!

I've always wondered: what do the schools do with kids that normally walk home? As a kid I walked to and from school from 6th grade till I graduated. Would I have had to wait for a parent to come get me? That would have been ugly... my dad was a paramedic and worked 24 hour shifts, and mom was a nurse and worked swing shift. So would I have been stuck at the school till 11pm?

I don't think it happens so much anymore, but there has to be a few kids who'd be stuck if they had to wait for a parent to come get them...

Babysteps, at our school, I'm the designated pick-up person in case of emergency for four other kids. The working moms find a SAHM like me to pitch in when an emergency happens. We only needed this system once, when there was a bomb scare. The kids are now in high school, but we still have the system. And, we have a back up system now, too. Two of us moms back up the same group of kids in case one of us can't go.

running *puff, puff* Ok, why am I always arriving so late on these news-breaking events????

Oh yeah. No TV. No radio. Hermit-on-the-Mountain thing.....

cookie, I think Mother set it all up JUST so you'd be inspired to get a certain STORY moving again! laughkickdarlene2

Seriously, it MUST have been tooooo weird to run out of electric on the highway like that. With your trusty prep supplies...including back street maps!!! Yea rahrah cookie. THIS is the most common use of prepping. You are dealt the UNEXPECTED CARD and you've got the tools to play it safely and with some degree of comfort. So glad you and yours are all fine and the power is back on!

Now get busy writing your story.........[ooops, never mind. Someone ELSE in this conversation hasn't been writing either.... busted ]

MtRider [really DO have to come up outta the rabbit hole and hear the news sometimes! ]

eek ME, do a thing like THAT??? darlene2 Why....why....why....I never.......even thought of it but .....welllllll, you know, if the shoe does fit......errr well no, that's not the saying I was looking for rollingeyes

Okay, "if it works, then all's well that ends well" THERE! That's it. Both of you should take heed though. Some of us readers are gettting kind of antsy with all the procrastination going on with those stories.

Now in all seriousness,,,does anyone else think there is too much cooincidence in the cooincidences of this black out? shrugtinfoil

I'm really seriously glad you are okay, Cookie, you and any other members, lurkers, and all. You kept your head and did 'good'. cheer

bighug

Originally Posted By: Mt_Rider
running *puff, puff* Ok, why am I always arriving so late on these news-breaking events????

running ...... running... *puff, puff, puff, wheeze, cough, sputter... whew!
PCS runs to catch up with Speedy Gonzales MT_RIDER*

Whoah! Cookie, ya just had yerself a dry run at a SHTF scenario! Glad you're in the habit of being a full-gas-tanker.

'tis never a dull moment for a Miami Chica!

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

Oh Cookie, I'm so glad it all worked out for you and your family.

Yes, I'm late too, I haven't been on a lot lately and just found this now. running

I have told DH to keep the gas tank at least 1/2 full, but he doen't do it. I don't fill the tank, as I don't do that much driving. smile I have the feeling we could be in some hurt at times, if something happened and we couldn't fill the tank.

Anyway, I'm so glad you are all fine. smile

HUGS3-2.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Archived