MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I've been approved!

OINK

Howdy from WV! I'm a homemaker and have been married for 29yrs. We have 5 acres. I garden in raised beds. And I freeze my bounty. I'd like to find a class here locally to learn to can. I plan on planting blackberry and raspberry bushes this year. I also plan on planting some dwarf fruit trees in the yrs to come. I'd like to have a half dozen chickens for eggs. I just have to convince the hubby.We have 3 cats, 2 dogs and an ungrateful rabbit.

We have no CC debt. And only have 7 more years left on our mortgage. I've been lurking for a short while but theres alot more to read and learn. I like to read, bake, garden, crochet and ride my ATV. We have no children as they both have died.

I hope to learn alot and help sometimes with a recipe or two and some helpful advice.

Welcome Oink!

Sounds like we share a lot of interests.

I'm planting blackberry bushes this year and am expanding my garden so I can preserve more. I started into chicken farming this year with 8 hens. I have dwarf fruit trees, three cats and one dog, no cc debt and 8 years left on the mortgage. I've been married almost 23 years.

I would love to learn to crochet. Too bad we're not neighbors!

Welcome OINK...love your name.

You might check with your extension office on learning to can. I know ours works with people (Iowa) and they're really a nice group of women that work together.

You like to read......I read and have audio books going all the time. Right now I'm listening to hmmm, can't think of the name but it's by Karen Kingsbury and reading The twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

We don't have an ATV but we do have a Kawasaki Mule that I love putzing around in.

Again, welcome.

OINK - Welcome to the group! I am a suburban beginner homesteader. We don't have any animals, plan a garden this year and I can everything that isn't nailed down. I just got my pressure canner... :D I crochet all the time, and am learning how to knit. I have been married for 15 years and have 3 girls. Good job on being debt free, DH and I are working on that slow but steady progress.

Thank you all. OINK stands for One Income No Kids LOL

Homemaker: Funny ain't it how there are so many of "us" out there? LOL

Yart: It wasn't easy, but we did it. Now, when we have cc debt it is paid off every month. We mostly pay cash for everything. Makes you think about buying when you have to take it out and actually look at the money leaving your hand.

Thanks again

Hi Oink,

Glad to have you here with us! You'll find that there's always a listening ear and another amazing thread to read, it just never ends!

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your children. This is something that no mother wants to face, but many do. :grouphug:

Hello OINK! Love the nickname! Glad you decided to join us. There are several folks here who can help you get started with the proper canning techniques. Violet is probably the number one person on the site. Preservation forum and threads abound. She and several others have been coaching me as I learn with my new canner too. Alot of us use the weighted gauge system, which you can just listen for, that keeps it at ten pounds pressure or 15 pounds depending on how high in elevation you are. It sounds like you are doing terrific, with setting yourself up for prepping. I too am sorry your children are gone as well. I only have one son who recently married and there are a lot of military in my family, so thats an ongoing thing today for all of us. I live pretty far from him for now, but we are planning on me moving south when DS and DIL settle probably in east Texas. I do have a friend in Bluefield, WV too. Trying to get her into prepping some too.

BTW, canning can be addictive!

Come join us in the evening if you can, in the Shoutbox, it's where we chat and sometimes during the day there are members chatting with one another there. Great folks here from all over, many different ways of living. We sure do figure out lots of ways to deal with the issues we discuss here on MrsS, and the support for each other is tremendous and I see God working in many lives, including mine. Don't be afraid to post, or ask questions or answer to someone elses questions.... we are all learning from each other. Welcome!

:welcome::D

Thank you all

Stephanie: Thank you. It took 5 yrs from my life but I'm back now

Arby: I was reading that the canners with the "toggle" that "bounces" around is more accurate than the gauge. And that the gauge should be checked every year to make sure it's accurate.

Aaroun: I'm noticing that! LOL

Thanks again all.

Hi, and welcome.

Come on over to Preserving the Harvest. We can teach you how to safely can, dry, and freeze your foods.

I teach lessons at my local extension office, so I am willing to help you out.

There are lots of us here with many similar interests. Good for you getting out of debt. I am also working hard on paying off our debts.

scratchhead.gif Approved? approvedsmile.gif

Approved for what??? puzzledsmile.gif

**Cat looks around, wondering if she's been approved, too...** blessed.gif

Yup, Darlin', welcome to the family... pillowfight.gifhottubsmiles.gif pillowtalk.gif groupsmile.gif

You're approved for having fun, learning and sharing, and running amok in the forums... :24:

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

welcomewelovenewmembers.jpg

Oldpine and I have been married 46 years and have 3 children of course, all grown up and away from home. 2 are in TX and one in N. D.

Take a look in the Homemade Memories forum and you can find all kinds of things to make. I think there should be a youtube about learning to do all sorts of different crafts.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

**Cat looks around, wondering if she's been approved, too...**

Your registration approval is still under consideration.

It's only been 10 years yanno...patience my dear, patience.

lol

Welcome Oink!

glad you have you post after lurking. It's quite the accomplishment to only have seven years left on your mortgage and no CC debt, you must feel pretty good about that.

All i know about preserving food i learned from this site, so you will find the topics very informing,, not to mention if you have questions plenty of people will help - there's even been times i needed immediate help and someone was here.

Welcome again!

Thank you all so much! I've been sucked into Mother Earth's "Gathering" thread. I literally read it all day! ( well, stopped and got some stuff done, ya know). I truly think that she could sell that. Amazing.

Thanks again everyone!

Archived