MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Facebook

Dee

Talk about blasts from the past. Are any of you on Facebook? I have connected with so many people it's amazing. Relatives, friends and so far 2 former exchange students. Today I connected with our Swedish exchange student from 1975-76. She's just joined so she's new and learning. I'm still learning too. Then one of her sons asked me to be his friend so I've seen lots and lots of family pictures. It's amazing and such fun.

I've also reconnected with our Spanish exchange student from 1986-87. I'm looking for the other 5 but only time will tell if we connect again.

I heard on Oprah one day last week that there are 175,000,000 people on Facebook and something like 50,000 joining each month.

If you have time or interest, take a look. You might be surprised who you can find!!!

Yeah, well... :Blushing:

I tried Facebook after my DD told me her Grandpa (my FIL) was "cooler" than DH and I because *he* got on Facebook. It took me a few weeks, but I finally made myself an account. I thought it was something she wanted so we could easily share pics, etc.

I requested several times for her to add me as a "friend". She wouldn't. Had excuses, etc....

I took myself off after she had obviously been on, wrote to her sis, but *still* hadn't added me.

I didn't get on Facebook to comunicate with the 2 kids here at home... just her. Her Hubby added me the first day.

It hurt so much... I could't stand the rejection every single day I was on it.

:(

Awwww... (((Cat))) :kissy: Perhaps just a simple oversight or busy. Kids!! Good for son in law tho. He may be the one who gets mailed some homebaked cookies or something extra at Christmas time. :whistling:

So... just how does facebook work? How do you search for long lost friends and such. I don't know a thing about it.

If there was a program for Facebook addicts - I really should be enrolled. If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

There are security features in so many places on Facebook - you just have to use them. You can decide who sees what (photos, notes,etc). You can search for anyone (doesn't mean you will find them of course) by city networks, employer networks, schools, name or email.

It really is cool once you get the hang of it!

Yeah, well... :Blushing:

I tried Facebook after my DD told me her Grandpa (my FIL) was "cooler" than DH and I because *he* got on Facebook. It took me a few weeks, but I finally made myself an account. I thought it was something she wanted so we could easily share pics, etc.

I requested several times for her to add me as a "friend". She wouldn't. Had excuses, etc....

I took myself off after she had obviously been on, wrote to her sis, but *still* hadn't added me.

I didn't get on Facebook to comunicate with the 2 kids here at home... just her. Her Hubby added me the first day.

It hurt so much... I could't stand the rejection every single day I was on it.

:(

((((Cat)))))

One thing I really don't like about Facebook is how "cliquey" it enables kids to be. Your story is a great example of that.

Dear son has informed me that the "grownups" have ruined Facebook for the kids. It would seem they view it as "their turf" and are pretty unhappy about older people adding them as friends. If it makes you feel better, dh ran into this exact same problem with dear son. He was sooo hurt.

And I have also heard ds say that it really cramps the style of his friends and himself when they get friend requests from the staff at church, lol. These are good kids, too, but their private play area has been breached. They are exceptionally irritated about it, and I kind of don't blame them.

I can understand it but I also understand your motives were not that; you were just trying to be accomodating. And for your situation it was a pretty awful thing to go through. I am so sorry.

((((((Cat))))))

Kids can break your heart for sure sometimes.

I'm on there, Dee...and it eats my time! LOL My big downfall is the chat feature. Sometimes people will "chat" me and I'll wind up staying on there for waaaaaay too long. At least when you're on the phone you can be doing other things, like washing dishes or dusting! LOL That's not possible when you're typing!

I've labeled facebook as "the black hole" of my schedule...yet it's still set as my homepage. Ironic!

Look me up on there :)

Cat,

I didn't post earlier because I didn't know what to say - except I'm sorry. Our feelings can get hurt in the most unexpected of ways sometimes....even by the people we're the closest to. I know you want to :frying pan: or maybe :tapfoot: and definitely :baseballbat:

I think I would definitely talk to DD and let her know how you feel. Please don't let her ruin what could be a good experience.

I moved from MySpace to FaceBook because I was so tired of the 'juvenille' atmosphere. FB was started by college kids as a networking site...if the kids think the grown-ups are ruining FB, send them to MySpace...just their speed. Really. AND remember, you don't have to become 'friends' with everyone. You can also have different types of groups for different reasons i.e. 'school', 'church', etc. and keep those private and separate.

I've gotten in contact with people from high school, college, and use FB to chat to my dear friend in Baltimore (remember I'm on the West coast!) when we've both got stuff to do and can't get on the phone. It can be annoying...but so can neighbors, etc.

I find that it only rules my life if I let it. After I check it ONCE in the am, I allow myself ONCE to check later in the day. AND - if I don't have time, I REALLY don't have time....it's not the end of the world. People who need to reach me know they can call...or e-mail...

Hugs to you, Cat. Lots of hugs...and some chocolate. :)

:bighug2::hug3:

((((Cat)))) I'm so sorry your DD wouldn't add you.

I love Facebook. My rule was for my DD if she went on she had to add me so I could keep tabs on her and protect her from weirdos. Little did I realize that I would find so many long lost friends. My class is planning our 20th HS reunion on Facebook LOL. And all my new nursing school friends are on there. However I monitor my time and I"m only on there once a day maximum. I always come here first :)

After reading what I wrote, I realized I ended my post too soon.

While I can sympathize with how the teenagers felt when grownups began to use Facebook, I neglected to mention that I did point out to dear son that "Hey, that is life. Roll with it.", or some such sentiment.

And I am on Facebook too but really don't care for it. I rarely go there; about once a month or so. My computer seizes up each time. I guess it has a Facebook allergy. I would rather spend my time here on Mrs S. so that is okay.

But I can say that I have reconnected with a lot of people through it; mostly old friends and dear ones from the church/state we moved away from three years ago. That part is pretty neat!

All this to say that a person should go for it if they are interested. Facebook can be an awesome vehicle for reconnecting with people, especially ones that you might never get to see on a regular basis. And staying in touch with family really does get easier on there. It really is an amazing place!

My heart is so happy this morning that I had to post about it here. I opened my email and there was a message from our exchange student from Bogota, Colombia that lived with us in 79-80. I knew she was married and had a son Jorge but hadn't heard from her for almost 25 years. She also as a 24 year old daughter, Carolina. Her husband is a lawyer and she works at an insurance company.

I am so excited, I can't wait to visit with her, see pictures, etc.

I'll be singing as I head off to work this morning!!!

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

Wow, that is really so great, Dee, that you have found so many people. :)

Cat, I am so sorry about the way your DD feels, but, I can see our kids doing that way too.

I just saw on the news last week where one of the ladies from there was on FB and was telling everyone that they should try it.

I have enough trouble just having time to come on here a lot of days. Then once I'm on here, I spend much of the morning and don't get much done around here. So, I might take a peak, but, don't know how much I would be on FB. :)

HUGS4-1.gifhaveanicedaydogandflowers.gif

I'm on Facebook too. My niece was bugging me to join. Once I did it , it seems that everyone I was friends with in school was on it. We are also planning our HS reunion - it's our "out of the ordinary extraordinary 19 year reunion". What can I say - we were an odd lot!

LOL!

I have connected with family members too. It's pretty cool to see cousins I haven't seen in 20 years!

I do have one thing that bothers me - my mother-in-law. She's on it along with my sisters-in-law. I hate how she comments on their pictures and her other grand-kid's pictures but never says a peep about mine. Personally I don't care, but my kids hang over my shoulder and ask "Did grandmom say anything about that picture?". :(

My kids don't have a facebooks. My oldest is almost 17 and she's not interested in it. She actually would rather read a book then be on the computer. My 14yr son wants one but I don't like that idea. Maybe when he's 16.

I can't believe some of the stuff people post about themselves! It's not like on here where you can remain relatively anonymous. I personally know these people and I really didn't need to know that much about them!! :o

Talk about blasts from the past. Are any of you on Facebook? I have connected with so many people it's amazing. Relatives, friends and so far 2 former exchange students. Today I connected with our Swedish exchange student from 1975-76. She's just joined so she's new and learning. I'm still learning too. Then one of her sons asked me to be his friend so I've seen lots and lots of family pictures. It's amazing and such fun.

I've also reconnected with our Spanish exchange student from 1986-87. I'm looking for the other 5 but only time will tell if we connect again.

I heard on Oprah one day last week that there are 175,000,000 people on Facebook and something like 50,000 joining each month.

If you have time or interest, take a look. You might be surprised who you can find!!!

I'm on Facebook, too. I find it a bit awkward and confusing sometimes, but that might just be chemo-brain at work, lol. Jenny is my Facebook secretary and manages it for me when I can't get online. She's found some old friends for me and it's been fun talking to them. :)

A face book junkie here, I love it , found many long lost friends, and made many more of all ages & yes I must confess I play the games.

I found Face book a very useful tool a few weeks ago when my daughter was in hospital for Neuro-surgery. I went into her account and was able to place a day to day report on how she was feeling, which saved me so much time rather than e-mailing individuals and some groups, It also saved on lots and lots of phone calls.

The one thing I don't like about face book is that they keep on changing the lay out, It can make navigation a nightmare until you adjust, I also don't add personal photos, I don't like the idea that someone can help themselves to something that is quite personal to you.

If someone would like to add me send me a message and I will send you my face book name.

Archived