MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grandma is in hospital

Saturday night my Grandma starting coughing up a little blood, so on Sunday she was admitted to the hospital. They said she has double pneumonia and they did a cat scan. Last night she called me and said they think she has lung cancer. They are going to do a needle biopsy this morning and figure out if it is or not. My mom told me that the doc said it looks like scar tissue, so I am really praying that that is all it is, although I am not getting my hopes up. I just lost a close co-worker a couple weeks ago to lung cancer and it was horrible watching him go through all of it. My Grandma has lived either with us, or nearby since my Grandpa passed in 2002, so we are all very close to her. (Even though she can be a handful! Ask anyone and they'll agree! lol)

I am going to go visit her this afternoon and I am really hoping to hear some good news. :unsure:

Thank you guys :grouphug:

The biopsy was rescheduled twice... They finally did it this afternoon and all went well. We won't find out results until this weekend. I was there when the Oncologist talked to her and he seems to think it is, but if it is only the 2cm they think it is, then they can remove it. For now were just waiting.:unsure:

Preliminary results are positive it is cancer :(

The good news is she is home now, she wasn't able to get any rest in that hospital. I suppose all the other tests that follow (PET scan, etc) will be this week or next.

• 2 weeks later...

Been MIA from here for the last week, it has been crazy. Results came back as stage 4, two spots in one lung, one in the other, and a spot on her liver. Results from the brain scan come back Monday. With chemo, they're giving her anywhere from 6mo-18mo.

I just started working on days and I work with my aunt, so emotions have been on a roller coaster. Work is no longer an escape, it's an escalation of all of the worries. My aunt is probably taking it the hardest. Grandma was in shock when they said stage 4, we all didn't think it would be that far along. Apparently she has had it for about 1.5 years. She is still staying very positive, although she knows what the diagnosis means. She says she isn't afraid of dying, she has God with her. I almost started crying when she said that last night. Thank you guys so much for your prayers and thoughts.