MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What American accent do you have?

gofish

My results:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas.

Says midland...tho as I grew up, Iowa people thought I had an accent. :blink: I'd spent language-learning years in both TX and NJ....so mebbe that's pertinent. Having now spent quality time in MN, HI, CO... :shrug: I've got some odd word usages when a phrase from Hawaii meets up with syntax from CO. Then again.....who else says "warsh" instead of "wash". No one in my family says that. It has persisted throughout my life and regions of residence though.

MtRider :D

For some reason the fact that it says my accent is 'the lowest common denominator of the American accent' strikes me as funny. I've spent most of my life in California but when I have visited relatives in Louisiana I very easily slip into the southern accent.

Inland north. I thought it was 'Midwest standard', but I guess they are more subdivided than that....I do pick up other accents though when I talk for more than an hour or two with someone from another area.

97% Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

not bad for someone who has never been to the USA :)

Hi!

I have been working hard, and when I get home have no energy. After appendicitis in March, a wedding inn the north of Australia in June, we had a quick trip to meet the newest addition to the family in July (Samuel 7lb 11) then I got a nasty cold that has left me with a lingering cough. But still here and pop in and read a little most weeks. Youngest has one exam and is finished school - that is scary, she is talking of uni in Darwin. so next year will be different!

97% Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

not bad for someone who has never been to the USA :)

Hehe I also got North-East and like you have never been to the USA in my life, I'm English.