MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I've had a headache all weekend so I laid low. Very low. Today I had to do some errands so I was up and about for awhile. Couldn't wait to get back home though.

I absolutely love your idea of using edibles for your landscape!!! You and Mr. are going to have a great place to 're-retire' at. Must give you, as The Eagles said... "That peaceful, easy feeling."

I've had a headache all weekend so I laid low. Very low. Today I had to do some errands so I was up and about for awhile. Couldn't wait to get back home though.

I absolutely love your idea of using edibles for your landscape!!! You and Mr. are going to have a great place to 're-retire' at. Must give you, as The Eagles said... "That peaceful, easy feeling."

:thumbs: love that group and that song!

Got laundry done and got all the Lambs Quarter cleaned, stripped & vacuum sealed into gallon baggies and in frig. We love that stuff in our morning omelets. /also snagged myself a Wolfgage Puck Panini/grill for $1.00 at a yard sale and found thick sliced bacon at the Amish store for $1.89 lb if you bought a case :-)

post-9087-0-70510500-1464055199_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-15245100-1464055208_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-68625700-1464055218_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-08081300-1464055311_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-54066800-1464055321_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-61773700-1464055332_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-46859600-1464055342_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Yum. We don't have lamb's quarters anymore. Think it had something to do with having 6 goats...once upon a time.

I was doing various things to get ready for trip. But...drove right past Post Office and didn't stop in for the Flat Rate box I need for mailing my stuff. <_< .....Tomorrow!

Koa came to town with us and .....oye, she's one tired pup! :happy0203:

MtRider .....me tooooo! :0327:

Went fishing yesterday. Some people came over claiming they lost their keys in the area where we sit, DH asked me to go find them. After searching an half an hour, I didn't find them. The water is real swift, deep 10-20' pools and major huge rocks and a few trees in the whole area.

When I got out, DH and his friend told me the people weren't sure if they lost them in our area. Gee thanks, I got hypothermia to the core...brrrr. It took me about an hour in the 100* sun to quit shivering. At least I found where the fish were hanging out, but they weren't biting.

WE2's, how do you use lambs quarter? Does it stay crisp if you freeze it? I looked it up and it says it grows in our state:

Present in county/Exotic (Exotic and Present in state, and Present in county)

Purslane grows wild in our yard. What we don't eat, the chickens and birds snack on.

Swimming...... ACK! Thanks for the reminder to find...fit...bring.....swim suit, Annarchy! One of our destinations is a friend on a lake - with a boat! :sSig_thankyou:

Yeah, still getting ready for trip. Airplane trip ....then a road trip! Just realized I should see the cousins....

My brain is not up to speed as I'd like it to be. Thinking thru sludge! Mebbe by the time I leave, I'll have remembered everything and put it On The List!

MtRider ...DH stopping at PO on his way to work. Stuff to mail ahead is all in a bag for him to slide into Flat Rate Box and mail it! :)

Edited by Mt_Rider

About Lambs Quarter...I haven't tried freezing it, just vacuum seal and refrigerate. We go through it pretty quick :-) How are some of the ways I use it? Chopped up and added to egg omelets, chopped up and added to other veggies for "egg" rolls (even tho there's no eggs), juiced with beets and pineapple chunks are the ways I generally use them. Using them in our morning eggs with onions & garlic are one of our favorites...and juicing is really good!

Had a friend drop a small bag of beets off. They had pulled them and had them in their frig, but planned to go camping for a week and didn't want them sitting in their frig at home. I've got them sliced up and soaking in sugar & nutmeg. I'll juice them with some of the Lambs Quarter (I drain off the sugar/nutmet water) and some pineapple. That will finish up the LQ that I have and unless I get more from my friend that will be it until my patch grows a bit more :-)

I ran a lot of errands today. Got rid of some trash and made a donation to Salvation Army. It was in the upper 80's and I was burning up. Guess it's time to drag out my shorts and shave my legs. I don't keep up with fashion but I'm pretty sure the Clydesdale look isn't what's hot on the runways this season. Ah, the joys of living alone.

I think I'm getting my hair cut too. I was growing it for Locks of Love again. I'm going to measure it and if it's close I'll wait until fall and just clip it up. If the length is way off I'm getting it cut. It is so heavy and hot. When I get it cut, it really makes a big difference on the arthritis in my neck. which also helps with headaches. It's nice jumping in and out of the shower and it's so fast to dry. I usually get it cut just below my ears.

Geees, I made myself sound like a hairy Yeti. Yes, I'm still single. :24:

Yes they do! We have two 'special needs' kitties.....both have hycrocephalus & vet said they would die young, and offered to 'put them down' . We rejected that out of hand....they are not suffering, and who among us is perfect anyway. They are both adorable and affectionate (if a little odd looking) and the eldest one is going on three years now. Not bad for a kitty that was going to die in three months....

I LOVE my special needs fur babies!

Going to the doc today about my ouchies from that fall back in Feb. Being a klutz is becoming painful, lol. Seriously, am probably going to have to go get an MRI for a possible back vertebra injury. I don't even care a bout not liking close quarters in that MRI because it hurts so bad I have to go lie down....waaaay too often.....

Edited by kappydell

Labmsquarter is delicious and the seeds come for us in every load of cow manure we wrangle. Cook it like spinach - it tastes better, and once it starts in the yard it grows MUCH better - does not bolt - I never have to buy spinach, just pick the weeds in the yard. The had part is keeping Mary from poisoning the 'weeds'

The garden survived last nights storm, but we put up some new materials and put the plastic back over the long bed because they're calling for storms again tonight. Kappy...noticed some Lambs Quarter growing amongst my carrots, onions and some beans :-) They don't know it but they'll be getting transplanted. Can't have them there in the garden...even if they did come with the compost :-)

Oh...boy. :( DH came down SICK :fever: late today. He'd been acting 'off' enough the past couple days that I asked him earlier if he was ok. And he'd woken 2 days ago with a stiff neck....indication of immune system kicking up.

So we both grabbed for the immune system boost pills and the natural Vit C's. USUALLY we can stop if before it really gets a foothold. I also made him KIM CHEE ramen soup with extra garlic/ginger/Korean red pepper for supper tonite. USUALLY that really helps cure him. Course all of the above kicks up the immune system and ......you feel WORSE before you feel better.

I am also feeling a bit 'off'......and I've only a few days before the airplane thing.... :pray:

Y'know all those "meds" I decided to send on to my friend's house? They've arrived. Some of what I took the precaution of sending - Just In Case - are the immune booster and C's. I repeat...never leave home without them! :thumbs:

MtRider :unsure:

Hope you and your DH feel better soon :pray:

Today we are going to clear the shed out and look at each item before it goes back.

There is so much stuff in there so a big clear then we can take the rubbish to the tip.

Mt. Rider, I hope you're better before you take your trip!

Been spending more time in the garden since I am not at work any more! And doing eBay, of course. No time to be bored yet. Not sure if that will happen but I doubt it.

Don't turn the tv on until about 6pm or so and am so glad to finally see the last season of Longmire! I loved that show and then it was gone.

:imoksmiley: Well, the good news is....DH woke every three hours thru that first nite. Diuretic affect of the stuff we take....flush system. Each time he took another dose and went back to sleep. By morning he felt like he could go to work...and did. Felt normal again. :cheer:

I ran for bathroom once... :rolleyes: diuretic affect indeed! But my morning was unpleasant. Some is just morning for me. I kept doing what we always do with immune boost and by evening I was feeling ok. Not quite normal....a bit feverish/chilly. Not bad tho. Caught this microbe in time. :amen:

This morning...and as I briefly woke thru the night...OW! Smasheroooo HEADACHE! Finally got STAGGERED up....to bathroom, of course. Have been using massager on face, head, neck, chest to keep sinus draining and it's working. So carefully this morning, got drainage going. Took Nuprin. DH released a couple muscle/tendon/whatever in back of neck. Chew peppermint gum. And...hours later...I'm better but still battling.

Y'see this is why I begin packing so early. Cuz I can get wiped out for days with just MS Fatigue or sinus headache or ....whatever. Common. Good thing I'm at the Ready.....Set........ stage. I'm hoping that 'GO' will happen and the stuff sitting around will be able to get into the suitcase! Sheeeesh! I am not one that functions at the last minute ....not at all. :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider ....but :amen: that we've got this microbe attack stopped. On that, I'm fine this morning. :cele:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Measles? Did you and MrA have them when you were children?

The microbe that attempted to bring down DH and I is gone. :amen::cele: But I'm pretty shaky. Been sleeping well but mornings are rough. Not unusual but ..... I need to finish packing! Hopefully after DH has left, I'll be able to make the choices and roll up the clothes into the suitcase. Hope to see my folks, at least briefly, before I go.

{MtRider does NOT LIKE AIRPORTS....nor, frankly, being in the hostile environment of Hot/Humid. Gettin' anxious!!!!} :pray:

Son made a surprise visit from Indy today! It was so nice to see him. We did some running around etc. He bought a new (to him) truck and wanted to show Mom. I really like riding in trucks. While he was at it he took some things home with him that I had no way to get rid of. For one, that huge bookcase that wouldn't fit in the Jeep and a dry sink thing that I was going to give to the Salvation Army but it wouldn't fit in the Jeep either. Then I gave him my lawn mower that was only a couple of years old and a newer Black and Decker battery weed eater. I am so relieved to get them out of the garage. Mostly because I didn't know how I was going to do it. He also put that $%^& fence panel up. It isn't going to stay long though. It's pretty well rotted out from all the nail holes.

At the bottom of my garage wall there is a row of cement blocks. Between two of them there is about a half inch gap stuffed with aluminum foil. When he moved the mower we noticed 'something' had eaten and spit out the foil. And there were droppings too. I didn't think mice ate foil. I'm going to have to re-stuff it and see if I can get some cement filler. The crack might be too big. Guess I'll find out.

Mt_Rider, no DH did not have measles.

Nice to hear you had a lovely visit with your son, Jeepers.

Busy day, gardening, running errands and doing bookwork yesterday. Phone calls to medical facilities to straighten out their inaccuracies regarding our insurance. We are getting all the bills from the several ER visits, indicating we are self pay! :shakinghead: With all the money they steal out of DH's retirement for premiums, I am having quite a time convincing them, we are NOT going to pay until they bill our insurance company, and I do NOT want to be turned over to a collection agency, just because they could not enter the data correctly into their computer system and bill it correctly. <rant off>

Today, I will be finishing up on the bookwork. I still have to call on one of the bills, it was too late in the day yesterday to get it all done. One of the places I have to call it on the east coast and their offices were already closed.

Jeepers, have you tried that Gorilla foam stuff? It swells up and fills the crack, IDK if it would work for you.

Son made a surprise visit from Indy today! It was so nice to see him. We did some running around etc. He bought a new (to him) truck and wanted to show Mom. I really like riding in trucks. While he was at it he took some things home with him that I had no way to get rid of. For one, that huge bookcase that wouldn't fit in the Jeep and a dry sink thing that I was going to give to the Salvation Army but it wouldn't fit in the Jeep either. Then I gave him my lawn mower that was only a couple of years old and a newer Black and Decker battery weed eater. I am so relieved to get them out of the garage. Mostly because I didn't know how I was going to do it. He also put that $%^& fence panel up. It isn't going to stay long though. It's pretty well rotted out from all the nail holes.

At the bottom of my garage wall there is a row of cement blocks. Between two of them there is about a half inch gap stuffed with aluminum foil. When he moved the mower we noticed 'something' had eaten and spit out the foil. And there were droppings too. I didn't think mice ate foil. I'm going to have to re-stuff it and see if I can get some cement filler. The crack might be too big. Guess I'll find out.

I see Jeepers heading for those cement blocks with some brillo pads and a can of spray foam! :-) That's the way MrWE2 sealed some holes when he replaced our kitchen counter top.

Edited by The WE2's

Yep, I'm going to stuff that crack with some steel wool and spray in some of that 'great stuff' stuff. After that cures for a few days I'm going to use some cement filler over it just for looks. Yuck.

Been bizzzzy ... like everybody else :-) The garden is doing wonderfully...except "something" ate one complete row of our Okra! :-( and we found some old black walnuts laying in the bed...figure? We put Mr. Hoot on a stake and positioned him looking at the Okra bed. Maybe he'll dissuade the "something" (squirrel?) not to come back. My mint plants are coming back, after I positioned some plastic forks (tong side up) around them. Also did the same around my one and only eggplant...it's really struggling for some reason. I'm thinking it's having a difficult transplan shock recovery. Next time I'll plant my seed, but we were a bit late getting our garden beds worked up and bought several starts. The cabbage and broccoli look marvelous :-) Got lots of Lambs Quarter coming up in several of the beds so pulled some that were tall enough to eat and we had them (along with the others I had in the frig) in our eggs this morning. The ones in the onion bed we left. Saw a snake sneaking around the garden area. Glad I had on my pretty pink gum boots! As long as he behaves himself he'll live :-) Did tap into the rain barrels last night to water, while we picked grass and tree starts from our beds. Lots of trees around us and they always donate. The berry bushes are looking great, even have a few starting to turn pink. So far the VCR tapes have discouraged birds from coming after them...but they aren't black yet :pray: MrWE2 bought an electric auger and cleaned out the washer drain pipe and all seems to be well :cheer: No running back and forth shutting off the washer and starting it again to let it drain. Wore me out! Guess Abby-girl's blankets were a big problem...doggie hair :-( I shake those silly things outside before they go into the wash, but she's got one of those "double coats" and we constantly fight it with brushing her etc. We had to dig out the Gentian Violet mix and put a few drops in her ears. One ear wanted to invite those yeasty varmints in for a party. It amazes me how quick it works. Cleaned the ear with baby wipes, a dropper of GV, massage the ear while keeping it covered with paper towels...and next day...all is well. Did go ahead and start her on allergy tabs...like Vet recommended years ago. Said Labs are prone to allergies and ear yeast. Haven't had to do it for a couple of years though. MrWE2 is working on another job site and has one that's in line. Also have a friend that we're planning to do some work for at the end of this month. So...that's what we've been doing...for several "todays"!

Went to visit my folks yesterday....before I leave for trip. There was some big talk of MOVING again. Altitude is getting to all of us by now. [stay tuned for developments ....LOL ]

Came home and had a big leak in waterbed. Oye! Not what you want to deal with at the end of a long day..... :gaah: I'm still laundering and drying bedding. DH handled emptying [yes...it was bad enough and on the side.] Thankfully :amen: it was not a split seam. Thing's getting old. So the leak is patched but so much water under mattress. Want to get the underside VERY dry before refilling. So we'll shift it tomorrow and dry the other side of the bed underneath. The original liner ....hasn't held water reliably. So we made an additional liner from very heavy plastic sheeting. That held except a tiny leak. That's what has to dry...the particle board underneath. We'll see if flipping it will uncover any more wet wood spots. If not, we'll be good to go. :0327:

Didn't need THAT right now... :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider