MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Lazy, lazy day. I spent all week painting at the church, and yesterday put in about 7 hours. Up and down the ladder, up and down the stairs, cutting in and rolling ... I was wasted. So today. Nothing. Nada. Sitting a lot, making plans to catch up on what I didn't get done at home this week!!!

Edited by carr

That sound hard carr. Glad you were able to rest.

I quit pulling weeds when the sun started blazing on me. Cleaned up and took MIL to the store to get some supplies.

When we got home DH wanted me to check some prices here and sent me out to get some. While I was out, stopped by an electronic store and got MIL a wireless headphone setup for her TV. She has been asking about them for several months. Came home and showed her where to plug them in on both her TVs. I was impressed how clear the sound is. Might get us a couple pair.

Talked with DH. He is struggling with the animals. Uriah managed to climb into the closet and tore up one of my styrofoam window covers. While DH was trying to get him out, Temporance was nipping at his ankles. Grrr has not been obeying his commands, basically ignoring him and then, when he was trying to refill the chicken water, they escaped the coop and were wandering around the yard. Lol, poor baby. I just can't leave him alone. :)

MIL wanted to check out a new movie theater that just opened this month, so we went and saw Finding Dory. The theater has menus at your seats, waiters/waitresses come to your seat, take your order and wait on you through the whole movie. Including bringing unlimited drinks including alcoholic drinks!?! Interesting. The only thing about that was they seemed to expect you to pay at the end before the lights came back on. I wasn't giving anything to someone I couldn't see in the dark. You never know who it was taking your money. IDK. Maybe I'm just an untrusting type of person.

We came home and watched another movie I had brought from home, then I set her headphones up and am now retiring for the day.

Tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to finish weeding the yard. I hope the ant poison has slowed down the swarms I battled with today. I kinda didn't attempt pulling any weeds in that area.

Time to get some sleep....

You really had a busy day. Hope you were able to wrap up the weeding minus the swarms today. I'm afraid I've needed a second day to recover. DH worked in the yard this morning, but the heat has finally hit, so he didn't get finished. I'm working on laundry and in the kitchen. But aside from picking up our CSA and a quick grocery store run ... I'm mostly a slug again today!!!

Annarchy! Please tell me where you got MIL her headphones and what kind/brand they are! DH had one cheap pair that didn't hold together long but made his tv watching bearable for me. :) I would love to get him a better set! ​ ​

Whew...when I waited til after 8pm [after the sun hid behind the ridge] I was treated to a full show of an enormous full moon. :happy0203: Was almost silvery while the sun's rays still caught it high. As it got dark here, it turned more creamy colored. I always like moon, star-filled sky, rainbows, cloud formations, etc.

MtRider ....and it's blessedly cool tonite. :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Annarchy! Please tell me where you got MIL her headphones and what kind/brand they are! DH had one cheap pair that didn't hold together long but made his tv watching bearable for me. :) I would love to get him a better set! ​ ​

Best Buy, $59. I got DH a pair too today. I've actually tripped over DH's cord getting a drink of water in the middle of the night. I'll get the name brand for you after I get back home tomorrow. He stays up until 2-3 am and I get up at 4-5 am. I hope he likes his Father's Day gift. :)

While pulling the last of the weeds, I heard a baby bird wanting to be fed. When I looked up I saw a hawk flying away. I spent hours trying to see what type of bird it was.

The hawk nest turned out to be a red tailed hawk. I managed to get some pics. The camera I used has wi-fi and I found an app to connect to my phone.

image.jpeg

Trying to stay cool. Even up here in mts, it's getting hot......well, within my danger zone of hot. My dad postponed Father's Day. He doesn't seem to get himself down to their basement level during the hot part of the day. It's a finished area but he's "busy". So he realized that I'd be endangered if I came to stay for the day today. He called to suggest putting it off till later this week. We're predicted to have clouds/rain(?) Wed-Sat so the heat will be lower. They don't have a swamp cooler. I readily agreed. I've had heat trouble while at their house. The lower level is cool but ....no one else will come down and so....waddya do?

They need to route TV down there.....cooking channel, house hunters, house renovation, etc.

MtRider .....staying cool and getting a few things done. :knary:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Today is a recuperation day.

Yesterday Brother came over and started our garage storage shelves - 12 feet tall, 12 feet long, four tiers of 4 foot deep shelves on both sides of our one-car garage. Maybe we only have a one-car garage, but we will have storage to rival larger ones!

Later tonight we will go cheer on our water ski show team. They do two performances a week to practice their skills, timing and show presentation. We are blessed with a literal world class ski team (20 time world champions) that actively promotes water skiing, holding free classes for anyone who wants to learn how, and running two show teams for those who want to perform. Their main team has skiers as young as five years old (very professional, I might add, skiing as a partner with grandpa as a strap double team), a young man of seven who performs solo stunts on trick skis, and numerous high school and college age skiiers who make up huuge barefoot ski teams, stunt jumpers, and womens ballet teams. Our job is to hoot, holler and cheer on these athletes which we do with gusto.

:bathbaby:

Trying to remember the summer protocols.

Did another load of laundry IN THE COOL MORNING.

Also remembered to do the difficult change of light bulb in the fixture too close to the roof line.

MtRider .... :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Annie, red tail hawks are really neat. There is a live camera set up at Cornell University that shows a pair of red tail hawks. It starts early in the spring before the eggs are laid. You can see the eggs, watch them hatch and grow up until fledging. They are cute to watch, until feeding time. Yikes. There were 3 this year and the last one flew the coop about a week ago. One year they had a pair of Great Blue Herons. Very strange birds. They didn't come back to the nest this year for some reason.

Sounds like a great time Kappy. So refreshing even to 'just' watch. You are lucky to have such a handy/willing to help brother!

:bathbaby:

Trying to remember the summer protocols.

Did another load of laundry IN THE COOL MORNING.

Also remembered to do the difficult change of light bulb in the fixture too close to the roof line.

MtRider .... :pc_coffee:

Ahhhhhh yes! Summer protocols......work in the cool morning....stay out of the sun between 10 and 2.....water after sunset......clothing loose and white.....who else remembers such things?

I have a doctor appointment this afternoon and I do not want to go. It's no big deal (always hope that) just a med check and prescriptions refill. In and out, easy peasy.

But she'll poke this and prod that and take my blood pressure three times and say, "Hummm". Then she'll stick the thermometer in my mouth and start asking questions like how my weight loss is going. Really? Does she really need to ask that. I'm sitting right in front of her. With the thermometer in my mouth I can only mumble and nod my head yes. I think that might be considered a lie. Hummm. Maybe I won't nod my head too vigorously. Then she'll try to check my thyroid. Every time I see her hands come toward my neck I swallow. Then we have to wait a few seconds until I can get enough spit built back up so I can swallow again while she tries to choke me again. Awkward. Then out comes the stethoscope and a few deep breaths from me and a couple of thumps on my back from her and I'm done. But she'll take another 5 minutes to type it all into her laptop. As I standup to get out of there I won't be fast enough. I never am. She'll say, "Hmmmm, (oh crap) its been a while since we did an EKG, hang on a minute." I get handed a gown and told to put it on 'open in the front'. Oh yeah, I know where this is going. While I'm lying there with electrodes attached all over she'll remember it's mammogram time again and will do a quick breast exam. I knew it. She's coming off of a two week vacation today so she'll be raring to go. I hope she doesn't remember I'm way over due for a bone density test.

The brand is "Insignia" and was on the shelf next to the Sony brand.

Got home yesterday to blistering heat. DH turned on the misting system and we sat on the porch swing chit-chatting about our week. I am very grateful traffic was fairly reasonable. A few crazy drivers, but all in all a non-eventful trip.

Today, I have watered everything well and will have to do it again tonight. The tomato plants are withering, I am hoping they will survive long enough to make it to cooler weather and produce. There are still only the two tomatoes on one plant. The celery, zucchini, carrots and beets all have sunstroke burn marks on the leaf edges. Even the other gardens, around our area, that have sunscreen shade are showing the same burn marks. Hot is hot, even in the shade. I guess that is why they call it the desert. Hahaha

Hopefully, I will get my luggage unpacked and straighten up my/ferrets room, after the fiasco they did while I was gone. Temperance came up and wanted to be held as soon as she heard my voice. She's such a sweetie. Grrr almost mauled me and then became a "Klingon". He wouldn't let me out of his sight the rest of the day.

This morning, while I was re-attaching the hanger that the chicken water is on, the girls all talked to me and told me how horrible the heat is. :) I set up an extension to their roof to give them more shade. Hopefully it will help.

Your water adventures sound wonderful Kappy.

Jeepers, every time the adult would come back, the leaves in the tree went crazy, and you could hear the little one demanding to be fed. I wish my good camera had been charged. Worse, I forgot my back up battery for it. That will teach me not to forget next time, I hope. :lol:

Time for me to get busy and try to get some things done.

Dr. appointment went well. No mammogram until October. Woot. EKG was good. Will find out about the bone density...sometime. It will be a good marker because the last one was in 2009. I need routine blood work and they do it in the office now. I just have to tell them the day I want to come in and fast 8 hours. She said some of my meds could be making me feel hot. Great. She also said she'd like to see me lose 10 pounds. Yeah, I like to see that too. I knew that was coming.

She also recommended a Shingle shot. I have been thinking about it especially since I've been hearing about a lot of people in my age bracket coming down with it. My cousin-in-law has them now and is in a lot of pain. I remember Worm Guy had them too and it wasn't fun. I got the shot.

Thanks Annarchy! We look forward to your info! In our house, he gets up at 5 or so and I am up til midnight or so.

Our Lucy (schnauzer) with congestive heart failure is hanging in there but not real well. Had to get her another shot of Lasix today and up her dosage. She and I had a rough night last night. Not much sleep!

We are also having printer issues which are stressful with the ebay sales. Got to print postage labels!

Oh, and my camera died! Not good as I take about 70 or so photos a day for ebay. Also, difficult to call myself a photographer with just a cell phone!

But the tomatoes are doing great and DH had his first VA medical visit the other day which went well, I think. So we have some positives and a few challenges. It is good to be alive!

Separated the cherries and the blackberries into separate baggies (qt. size) and then vacuum sealed them in vacuum seal bags...the manual (Ziplock) type so I don't completely mash them :-) Kept several bags in the frig and the rest are in the freezer. Got laundry finished, folded & put away.

Baaad night. DH has worked 6 days in a row now right after I've returned. He's wiped out....still recovering energy from that 'bug'. So he slept by 12:30am. I shut off light at 1am. Finally drifted off about 1:30am. Then he got up 2:30am....get a drink and returned to bed. SQUEAKY flooring woke me and then I'm wide awake. Been trying to not take the sleep aid. Using the exhaustion of trip to assist my sleep. But by 3:30am....I caved and took 1/2.

Fast forward to TELEPHONE RINGING at 10am. What? Who? Where? :blink: FINALLY I woke up enough to figure out who I was talking to. Shoot...I gotta quit answering the phone in my sleep! :blush:

So it was a dear friend up from FL. AFter being home for 6 days straight, I got to go to lunch at Denny's. Food's bad but AirConditioning was great and we talked and talked!!! Came home just as the first rain was pouring. :woohoo: Need that.

Right now we're getting a pass on the nasty storms....I think. Rumble all around tho. Might have to grab the laptop cord to unplug quick if we get anything close. Rather violent reaction to the recent heat .... Was even a tornado watch area IN THE MOUNTAINS ....but that was not our area. We have had tornadoes but they're usually small areas of destruction.

MtRider ...hoping for more rain... without all the drama!! :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Wow, Annarchy......but can he feel better after that??? Relief from bone spurs would be good! :pray:

Ambergris.....I think my lunchtime friend will be visiting CO more than she plans. She's been up here in summer and spends the rest of the year in the middle of FL. But now sold her RV and bought a small trailer park house where she's found friends. However, she hasn't experienced the heat/humidity in July/Aug and, as you say, the heat is early. I'm hoping she WILL flee the FL heat and stay with friends up here every summer. I miss her when she's down there in your neck of the woods.

MtRider ....hiding in the mts from the drastic HEAT! :knary:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Thanks for the prayers for DH. I am still quite concerned.

My back is royally messed up and surgery has never been an option for me to consider, when the odds of feeling better after surgery are under 50%. I understand the pain he is going through and, hope and pray they can make him feel better. I never considered he wouldn't be able to take care of me if my back gave out. :sigh:

Today, it was 80*F at 5:00am. I strung up an old sheet over my tomato plants. Even though they only get 1/2 a day of sun, the ground dries out too quickly and by evening the plants are withering. I am hoping that, if they make it through the summer, we might get tomatoes this fall. (?)

Phoenix has passed a law that dogs are not to be tethered in the heat. Seems like daily they are reporting about the arrests because the animals died. Grrr is spoiled. He goes out, does his duty and comes right back into the AC. :D

How is you day going?

Having an okay day. The weather is nice in the low 80's and breezy. My arm is killing me from the shingle shot but I'm lucky I can sit (shot was in the arm) in front of the fan and eat my watermelon. I got a good sweet one this time. Sometimes they can be bland.

Cleveland Cavaliers won the basketball championship Sunday and the town is going wild. First one in 52 years...Go Cavs!!! Today is the parade and ceremonies downtown and so far so good, as far as violence is concerned. Might be another story when the sun goes down. The news said it looks like there are over a million people there and it looks like it from TV too. I'm glad the team is getting such fan support but for me, I'm watching it on TV with watermelon juice running down my chin.

Hope I can mow tomorrow since I didn't get it done today.

I think it hurts worse today than it did yesterday. Or maybe it's just wearing on my nerves. It's as round as a baseball now. It isn't sticking out that far but it's that round and hard. My arm is angry.

Yes, it is kind of scary when these things happen. Not so scary now but in the future it could be really serious. I hate being allergic to antibiotics. Gives me an uneasy feeling if I were to really need them.

A good reminder though to ask a pharmacist if no other options are available. If I hadn't remembered about my meds being due, I wouldn't have thought of it.