MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

First thing we did was deliver flowers until 11:00 and then it was done. People just don't send as many flowers as they used to. When we finished we stopped by a yard sale that had a large role of fence with a gate for $8 so it's at the Homestead house. It will help us fence off the southeast side of the property (as well as the snow fence we already have). Found a fella who buys trade in riding mowers, cleans them up, puts new batteries in them, sharpens the blades and changes the oil etc. So...we did get a rider purchased so that son can continue to mow as part of his rent at the Homestead. Got a very reasonable price but still a financial setback for us :-( But, it's a nice mower and son did the mowing while we worked in our garden. Got one of the long rows lined with the new concrete blocks and just about de-grassed. Will add the new compost and some new dirt and then get the Okra etc., planted. I'll "ring" the places where we want to plant the squash, Kale, Swiss Chard etc. Hopefully we'll be able to grow them verticle on some heavy duty trellis'. Still have one long bed to work up. We used to grown corn in the long beds (3x6 each) but we don't eat much corn and we can buy potatoes from the Amish so cheap it's silly to try and grow them ouselves in such a small space. Last year we bought 50# for about $6 and canned them. Also stopped at a yard sale and we picked up two potato forks for $2 each! We use them to loosen ground. Can't have enough yard/garden tools! Also picked up two stainless steel mixer bowls (one large and one smaller) for $5 and two hand crank egg beaters for $1. One is none...I now have three :-) Even though the weather has been in the 80's, so far we haven't had to turn on any a/c. We have ceiling fans and a kitchen window fan and they seem to keep us comfortable enough. Tonight will be a relaxing night (I did a crash and burn last night...went to bed at 6:00 and slept all the way through until the alarm went off at 6 to go deliver flowers!) and no alarm clock in the morning!

Just bought a replacement for something that disappeared while the DX was raiding the house to show he could. It was a chunk of change, but with the iron sights and composite lower receiver, it will take minimal care to last my lifetime. I'm very happy with it.

:thumbs: Way to go, Ambergris.

WE2's, nice score on the garden tools.

Cleaned house yesterday. Because of the rain and Grrr, the floors were terrible. Today, I am going to rest.

Being Mother's Day, the rest of the family decided I could do whatever I wanted to all day. So right after breakfast, I weeded 30 feet of daylily row. DD fixed lunch, I came in & ate. Then I gave Mom and DD a test to see what their predominate sensory learning type is. Mom is slightly more auditory and then kinesthetic. DD is equal amounts visual and kinesthetic. After that we went for a short walk and now Mom is napping. The guys are working on a couple of lawn mowers. I want to plant my ginger root and then do some decluttering. It's a beautiful day but very windy.

Rest is good.

Ginger is good, too.

It's been a long day. And anytime you spend two hours at Lowe's with a man with a list, it's going to be expensive.

Yes!

I'm having my kitchen cupboards replaced while trying to stay within a budget that apparently nobody else considers feasible.

Homesteader is absolutely right! We have visited a couple of the Restore stores within 100 miles of us and you just can't imagine all the items they have, including appliances. light fixtures...you name it. At the time we were looking for a gas range and they told us gas ranges are hard to find. We've since decided to just leave the electric one in the Homestead house for the time being. it works fine and has a self cleaning oven...so it will do as long as there is power :-( I have a portable propane table top range that MrWE2 needs to build a table for so I do have the capacity to cook on propane...but would have to do it outside unless the propane tank were to remain outside and a hose run through a wall or something. He knows what it would take, but I'm content with it being an emergency thing, outside :-) Went out to breakfast, visited mother's grave and grandmother's grave (and first husband's grave since he's right there near them) and placed flowers on their shepherds hooks. Then changed clothes and headed for the garden. Got one of the long beds worked up and planted 3 rols of Okra. In one remaining 4x4 raised bed planted 3 rows of bush beans. Then dug a ring, filled it with top soil and compost and planted three Swish Chard ... and then heaven opened up and rained all over us! LOL Thank you Lord for watering our garden for us :happy0203: Still need to get the other long row ready for some pole beans, and some more "rings" for Kale, Cucumbers, Crook Neck Squash and maybe a canteloupe. Came home rested a bit then headed back out again and found eggs at Aldi's for 69 cents a dozen so stocked the frig back up. Then stopped at $Tree for some stock up petroleum jelly, A&D ointment and Diaper Rash ointment (zink oxide). The A&D and Diaper Ranch will be emportant if sunblock isn't available and probably a host of other uses. Stopped at McD's and got some dollar burgers a shared fry and ate our very first supper at the Homestead house! LOL Set up a small card table and two lawn chairs in the living room :-) It's been raining off and on since we had to end our gardening efforts and they're calling for rain for the next 3 or 4 days so the garden will love it. I can't believe how fast everything we've planted has come up and how big the plants we planted are growing! The VCR tapes that we strung seem to be doing a good job of running the birds off. Son said they don't come near...just sit in the trees and watch :hapydancsmil: Said a couple of starlings (those nasty things!) came in but didn't stay. I'd like to strangle the person who brought them to our country and then turned them loose! So now...we're relaxing. MrWE2's reading and I'm on MrsS for a bit. Then I'm going to grab my book. MrWE2 finished the job he was working on and will start tomorrow on another one that's been waiting patiently for him. When that's done we plan to take a little trip in our travel trailer (if it's not raining!) and do some work for another friend our of ours who lives in another city.

PS...stopped by tractor supply and picked up another 40# bag of DE. We have quite a bit of it still, but ... "some" is none? LOL Also picked up some cotton/polyester work gloves for 33 cents a pair at Menards.

Edited by The WE2's

You can google Habitat for Humanity and then get a list of store locations. We've found some great deals there.

What I'm doing today depends on several things....If DS doesn't have to pick up a denture case, I want him to help me and DD put up the pea trellis/fences. I want to plant lettuce, radishes, and whatever we can. We had a really cool spell last week. Thursday, our friends farther up the mountain got 2" of snow. It was 61 degrees yesterday and it sure felt good. There is a 20% chance of rain today.

I forgot how many tomato plants I set out this morning...might be 16 or so. Besides those there are volunteer and other seed coming up that I pitched. So if all goes well and they all come to production there might be a lot of late tomatoes for someone.

I finished before the showers started.

My earlier salad planting will soon be ready to enjoy.

Whew....the big battle to open Internet pages continues. Have barely got on the past two days because of lightning on Sat. and was gone [and didn't open when I was home] yesterday. Today our "usage" was dropped to 70-point-something. Once it's 70% usage....TPTB will let us have our usual nominal Internet speed. <_<

I spent a looong day with my folks for Mother's day. Brought food for lunch...flowers...card. I hadn't been anywhere for 2 wks so had to get card Sunday morning. :o Got to the cards and WHOA.....nearly all Mother's day cards are gone. I quickly grabbed up three and started checking them. A couple of gangly young guys came up and had same reaction...."Uh oh...dude! We're in trouble". :lol: Fortunately I found two good cards and made my choice....returned the others for dudes one and two to look at. Spent the next five minutes looking for an envelope that fit the card I'd chosen tho. :rolleyes:

It was a good day to be with my folks. :wub: But I was not feeling well....kept having trouble getting enough air thru affected sinuses. After several hours, I finally felt ok. But the whole thing EXHAUSTED me. I've little stamina at this point. I can walk the dog for 45 minutes down our quiet little road. But get me into a situation where there is TV going, other people talking, ....a lot of "novel" sensory stimulation....and the MS trips the circuit breaker. :shrug: Nothing I can do about it. VERY fatigued and can't THINK straight today. :0327:

There was more talk of moving down out of this altitude....... Talk does not get the job done. We'll see........ :unsure:

Hey Daylily..... what kind of test did you do to determine learning style? Sounds interesting!!! I know I'm kinesthetic...cuz I can never hold still...pace when talking on phone, etc. Can learn visually pretty well. Auditory...not so much. :grinning-smiley-044: 'Specially now that age-induced-deafness is beginning. :rolleyes:

MtRider ....blech... :imoksmiley:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I got up early ate breakfast and...fell back asleep. I finally got up and going around noon. :rolleyes:

I tried really hard to talk myself out of mowing today. I didn't wanna. I looked up two different weather forecasts online and checked out the local weather for my area on TV. They all said rain for tonight and the remainder of the week. So, I went out in broad daylight and propped up the #$%^& fence panel and mowed.

I'm still tired. Don't know why I can't wake up today. Slept well last night. I woke up dreaming. I dreamed Ethel the dog walked up to me and laid down beside me and wanted to cuddle. I was kind of asleep but yet I knew what I was doing. It was so nice I didn't want to wake up. I came to hugging my pillow thinking it was Ethel. Sigh. I might need an intervention.

Since you mention it ,guess I will go finish the mowing that did not get done Saturday.

I finished the castile soap mess..since I had heard so many people talk about the liquid castile I got a bottle. I did not check if the lid was tight...it turned over and emptied in my towels. I had to empty/wash the entire shelf and contents. Then put down a new liner and restock.

Sewing is not going well, still have one room to sweep. I am going outside.

Hey Daylily..... what kind of test did you do to determine learning style? Sounds interesting!!! I know I'm kinesthetic...cuz I can never hold still...pace when talking on phone, etc. Can learn visually pretty well. Auditory...not so much. :grinning-smiley-044: 'Specially now that age-induced-deafness is beginning. :rolleyes:

MtRider ....blech... :imoksmiley:

It was a 63 question quiz in a used book I bought called "Mind Waves" by Arlene Taylor and couple other folks.

Just wifey stuff...you know; laundry, sweeping, cooking, washing dishes etc. I got it figured out...it doesn't matter whether you live in 300 sq.ft. or 3000 sq.ft., there's always laundry, sweeping, cooking and washing dishes :24:

LOL @ Jeepers. Any chance you'd get a dog? Mebbe not the XXL type dog but ...they're awfully nice to brighten one's day. :hug3:

Thanks, Daylily. Maybe they've got an equivalent test on the Internet somewhere too? Interesting and vital for teachers to realize the differences!

I'm just resting so far today. In a bad mood while this Internet war is going on. I hate waste and it's been a colossal waste of time to even try to get Internet pages loaded these past days....and days.....and :angry:

MtRider :reading:

I've considered a BIG dog but I'm not sure I could handle one. The ones I watch are professionally trained and that ain't me. They do give out the P.P.'s (perfect pets) that are trained but for what ever reason aren't service dog material. That usually means they aren't focused enough and too easily distracted. Squirrel! One was food aggressive and went to a home with no other dogs. They only go to volunteers, family or trusted friends. And the list is looong. Another beagle...now that I could handle. :wub:

Speaking of pooper-scoopers, at SDP the camera people send in cut out cardboard from cereal boxes and cola boxes etc. We cut them out size 3x6 because they fit perfectly in a back pocket. Anyone going to the farm grabs a handful and are expected to use them. You take two and slide the poo on one of them using the other one and deposit it in one of the many bags all around the area. All of those big dogs being 'maintained' by a couple of 3x6 cards. Uh, yes we even have the poo pickers shuffle. A special technique don't cha know. I can do that. :girlneener:

"Squirrel!" LOL We are always using that line from the movie "Up". :happy0203:

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning cleaning out the shed. I had let the shipping boxes stack up and one of DH's friends had given us several too. You can actually walk in there now. However, the recycle bin is full. LOL I needed to get in there and find out if the new mess by the bird seed is another rat or mouse. I still don't know, but what ever it is, there wasn't any sign of it today.

Today, is a paperwork day, after I get some little stuff done.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

Sometimes shelters have older or senior dogs that need a home because their senior owners have passed on...? When we adopted Abby-girl we thought she'd get to about 45 pounds...WRONG! She's big, tall, broad chested and weighs 85# But, when a dog has had excellent care and food all it's life, it's bound to be healthier? Her momma was a very big black lab, papers to prove she was a lab...just a big one. Her pappa was a standard Australian Shepherd (not a miniature) so there wasn't anything she could do but GROW big!

Aw, Abby is such a sweet girl!

I got a lot of cleaning done in the kitchen today. It amazes me how fired up I can get when I have some kickin' music going on. I have a Rascal Flatts CD I made with just their fast music. Gotta start cleaning because Summer's Just Around The Bend. I was a Bobbin' That Head listening to A Little Banjo wondering Why Wait with No Where To Be All Night To Get There. It was so Hot, Hot, Hot In Here dreaming of some Summer Nights. Wishing Every Day Would Be A Sunday Afternoon. But sometimes It's Alright To Play. Tonight's The Night I'm taking an Ambien and crashing `Cause I'm Not Sweating The Small Stuff. And She's Leavin'. :offtobed:

SOMEONE must have snorted a tad too many cleaning fumes. Dude. <_<

--2 loads of :clothesline: ....dark load cuz cat upchucked on navy blue sheets and that had to go in wash! <_< Dontcha love elderly cats? Poured hot water in from a hose cuz washer now does not do that function.... Oh well, it's easy enough.

--multiple loads of :dishes:

--1 patch hand-sewed onto my jeans....3/4ths done....then my finger and back got sore! I'll finish tomorrow. Been putting this off a LONG time and nearly done!!! :happy0203:

--Fighting with computer to gimme my email...... [completely separate issue from the Internet usage provider]

MtRider .....I just seem to be fighting every single day to do my SIMPLE NORMAL THINGS! :motz_6:

Yesterday's paperwork has extended into today. Not a big thing, just time consuming, because I have to use a typewriter. It's getting hard to find the replacement ribbons anymore. When I ask, some people look at me like I am crazy. LOL

Lawn and garden are watered, in preparation for this heat wave.

Yesterday, as I was sitting on the porch swing and looking at the variety of birds in our yard. I have 3 large water dishes just for the birds. Anyway, spanish sparrows, red headed house finches, thrashers, black cardinals (their name starts with a 'ph'), inca dove, morning dove, white winged dove, ringed neck dove, mexican grackles, crested fly catchers, gamble quail, starlings and cactus wren were all chattering and flittering around. All of a sudden, they all went crazy screaming and congregating/attacking a road runner. Darn road runner ran over to the willow tree, sprung up into the branches and came down with a juvenile sparrow. Still being buffeted by all the other birds, it jumped over the fence and ran off with the screaming baby in its mouth. Nature at its finest.

Well, it is time for me to get to work.

Hope you all have a great day.