MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I am sorry you fell, Mt. Rider. I have done somewhat better lately, myself, getting a little strength back and flexibility, but it is a long road back for me.

I am trying not to push my luck and it really takes presence of mind. It doesn't matter where we walk either, it all takes a lot more thought and focus when we do it if we have problems that affect our stability, coordination and balance... and it is so easy to momentarily get distracted.

Baked a loaf of bread for next week and made a batch of pumpkin/blueberry soft cookies. Then we went to the Homestead and unearthed the motorcycle. MrWE2 needs to take it to get it inspected for license. Had to put a charger on it so it will start tomorrow. We didn't get to ride it too much last year so the battery didn't hold for the winter & "someone" can't find all the components to his battery minder so it wasn't hooked up :-( Wednesday (I think?) we sank several posts for the fence we'll be putting up to keep our garden area safe from dogs :-( Both of us felt like we'd been beat with a 2x4 when we crawled in bed. I gave up about 1am and took some Aleve just to get to sleep. Every time I moved I hurt :-( But I've worked most of the kinks out, but added a couple more tonight helping to clear things away from the motorcycle. We're "supposed" to be retired, especially when you're nearly 70! But...Abby-girl took some sunbathing time :-) Guess she figures "if they want to work their tails off that's okay, I'll sunbathe"...LOL We have scheduled a campout with some friends the 22-24th so that will be a "get out of dodge" time for us. Also got all my lamp shades vacuumed, all the ceiling fan blades vacuumed and an artificial plant dusted...it sits on our headboard :-)

post-9087-0-10524800-1460777855_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-58838000-1460778034_thumb.jpg

That is for SURE, Sass. That stupid hole just took me down. No...didn't see it. Wasn't looking. Paying for that now. I do often kick sticks or rocks out of the path...knowing that they might roll me right to the ground.

Yes, Annarchy... I meant to comment on Grrr. He's a handsome fella...unusual coloring. Is he a breed or a mix? Your lands are so much different from where I live. More desert Western where I'm in High Alpine desert.

Then there is cute Abby-girl too! :) The WE2's make me tired just hearing about all they do!!! But putting in fence posts....that'll kill ya! MtRider passes an extra bottle of Aleve to WE2. OW!

MtRider ....phooey! Thot I'd fully saved that ankle but....looks like I'm going to have to be a LOT more careful for a few days. It will let me know!

I feel for you Mt. Rider. I tend to fall up steps too. Worse one was about a dozen years ago. I was coming up the basement stairs with a laundry basket in my hands. I had socks on. Mistake I won't make again. I tripped or slipped and my mouth landed on the edge of the step. Yep, it hurt. My front two teeth went down through the top of my lower lip and out through my chin under my lip. I still have scar tissue in my lip that I can feel with my tongue. It isn't very visible unless you look for it. It's also still numb. I have a scar on my chin that is about a half inch long where my teeth came through. It would be pretty visible if it wasn't in the crease on my chin. I had to pull my teeth out of my lip and chin. I looked awful for a month. I didn't go to the doctor. Figured they couldn't do anything and it was about 10:00pm so I would have had to go to the ER. I was alone too so I would have to have driven myself. That wasn't going to happen and I really didn't want stitches in my lip. I have no idea how my teeth didn't break. I guess padding from my lip.

Awwww, Abby girl is such a bathing beauty! Looks like she is saying, "I could use a little sun tan lotion on my tummy and nose Auntie Jeepers! A foot rub would be nice too. You did bring treats...right?"

OW! Jeepers that must have been SHOCKING PAIN! It's exactly what I've always been afraid of doing with this stupid, repeating stair tripping. But so far, my reflexes have saved me. [thank YOU, God!] I think I've put more than one guardian angel into early retirement! [joking...not theologically correct...LOL]

Today...yes we did and ARE being pummeled with a blizzard. More in the Springtime thread. :sigh:

MtRider ...my ankle and all the rest of the complaining parts feel pretty good today. :amen: Ankle still wrapped and in a good boot outside!

Yesterday we took a day trip on the motorcycle. Was a beautiful day and we needed some "time out" :-) Son heard us pulling the motorcycle out and came hurrying out wanting to ride with us, so...what do you say? Anyway; we "took the high road" and not only let him ride behind us on his motorcycle but we also bought his lunch and then when we stopped at the Amish bulk & discount we found some boxes of "15% instant glucose" in 4 different flavors so we bought him a box of each. He's diabetic and has mentioned several times that he has to keep stuff on hand for emergency lows and highs. Figured these liquid tube things would work for him. Today we got an early start and picked up five bags of four different kinds of compost for the garden beds. Then we cleared out five of the old raised beds and mixed some compost into them. then we dumped some of the bags of leaves out on the back to eden-type garden we've started. Covered the leaves with black plastic and then anchored it with some other bags of leaves until we can continue. We still have several more raised beds to finish out and then we'll start on the BTE site. Next time son mows we told him to cut down those silly iris's around the wind mill because we're going to dig out the bulbs and then I'm going to transplant my perenial onions that are at the Roost, around the wind mill. Lots and lots and lots of work got done today. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so we really wanted to get some of the raised beds ready for planting. I also cut all the old canes out of my berry patch so I've got some nice scrapes on my arms :-( Forgot to put on long sleeves. Wore the sunblock though! LOL Abby-girl got to run and romp with son's dogs most of the day, which she loved! He sat in his chair under the back patio and watched us work :-( Nothing unusual. He's got himselv another internet gal, so he's all excited again. We just go with the flow. They don't usually last too awefully long :-( We'll see. Anyway...wanna see "some of our progress"? I'll also give you a peek of our Homestead. Guess it doesn't make any difference these day...the guvvies know where you're at anyway...and with Google almost anybody can find you.

post-9087-0-44440500-1460942955_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-68138100-1460942964_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-83949200-1460942974_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-53488600-1460942984_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-56912900-1460942996_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-63110600-1460943168_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Nice! I love houses like that with all the porches.

We've managed to "disinter" both vehicles from under a LOT of snow. Parked mine so snow on the top will slide off in tomorrow's sun...hopefully. There is an awful lot on our roof. The goathouse, duckhouse and hay/horse sheds all have metal corrugated roofs so hopefully, it will melt from them. It's very heavy, wet snow so I'll keep an eye on it. Don't need it collapsing. Worked to get snow out of anywhere that the melt water could cause damage. Snow blew EVERYWHERE. Auugh! Barely have paths to goat/duck/horse areas....hopefully melting will help us out without major snow shoveling. Shoveling this is like lifting big bags of wet cement. Can Not Do It!!!

Whew, I'm so tired.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Very nice We2! I love seeing pics of peoples progress. I'm going to have some raised beds whenever I move. I could live on tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions with Italian dressing in the summer. I wouldn't need a lot of space for those.

I got 6 boxes of baby stuff mailed today. Sounds like a lot but they weren't that big. Even the largest priority boxes are small IMO. Then I went to the Salvation Army and dropped off 3 grocery bags of stuff. Two were kitchen stuff and another bag of books. Then I swung by son's old dumpster site and made a three bag deposit from the garage.

Last night/early morning I propped up the fence panel and today I mowed the grass for the first time this year. I'm glad I kept starting it up this winter because she fired right up. I thought about Mt. Rider while I was mowing. My yard is really bumpy and riding on that mower felt just like riding on a horse. Too bad she doesn't live closer. I'd let her mow my yard. I wouldn't even charge her too much either. We could go halfsies on the gas. I'm just naturally sweet that way. :cheeky-smiley-067:

I have mowed twice another battery light came on this past week. Not sure where to find one this time as the local garage closed down due to non paying customers.......

After due thought ,I decided to spade up a new garden area. The soil is much better,so I spade, come in when it starts showering and go back out. All grass goes on the compost pile.

Inside I am working on my curtains, right now, trying to relax my back.....

WE2s - We've been looking at a homestead with a house that looks so similar to yours. See attached. Not sure we'll buy it. Lots of work needed and DH needs a new knee. :thumbs:

attachicon.gifP1010852.JPG

You can't imagine the work that we've put into the Homestead...and still SO MUCH more that needs to be done. The first thing we did when we bought it was tear down the old woodlap/collapsing garage and build the new "man-cave" garage for MrWE2 to work in etc. The we had another large metal building built by the Amist and had it hauled in. The came the little rubbermaid that we'll be turning into our garden shed when son moves. Behind the man-cave is another large Amish built wood barn that we store our recreational gear in. But...with the price of real estate these days we've increased the value of the Homestead by at least 50% with aint bad :-) I know older Queen Anne-style bungalow's need re-vamping but oh the personality. The kitchen has the original farmer cabinetry and the countertop will also need replacing. We just removed all the carpet and pad to reveal what was once lovely pine wood floors. When we pulled the livingroom carpet etc., right in the middle of the room is a large 5x8? place that was never stained...figure..? We'll be re-modeling the bathroom also it's the worst room in the house for functionality, and it's also a jack-and-jill bathroom. Very small :-( and we have no way to increase the size. But, it's just us as visitors so we'll just have to make do. We will remove the old surround shower and put in a step in shower, and the cabinetry is so old you'd laugh! LOL The mudroom on back is where the laundry hookups are so we have to put our infrared heater out there during freezing weather :-( But...you can't imagine how wonderful it is to take a break from gardening and sit on that covered front porch! Also...when we open all the kitchen windows, the bay windows, the bedroom windows and all the living room windows, turn on all the ceiling fans (there's one in every room) it feel like a/c. We insulated all the windows last fall so when we step inside (even if it's shut up) it's about 60 degrees, even though it's been very warm here these past couple of weeks. We'll be going over to summerize the travel trailer tonight so it'll be ready for this coming weekend's campout with friends. Boy do I need a relaxing break! Then it will be back to the work grind for MrWE2 and in the evenings garden work. I just finished clearing out all the books & magazines that MrWE2 had around his recliner, some of which are sitting in his recliner...hint-hint-hint? LOL

Edited by The WE2's

I have mowed twice another battery light came on this past week. Not sure where to find one this time as the local garage closed down due to non paying customers.......

After due thought ,I decided to spade up a new garden area. The soil is much better,so I spade, come in when it starts showering and go back out. All grass goes on the compost pile.

Inside I am working on my curtains, right now, trying to relax my back.....

The battery on your mower or your car? Sounds like you're putting in a carefully attended garden site. We got a little bit of rain this morning but we're supposed to get more towards evening. Hope it stays ... we want to summerize our travel trailer.

My mower battery, the one the company traded my brand new battery for their old one. Maybe i better check battery Mart to see if they have one.

I love the fence you have protecting your yard/ garden. The deer come all aroundthe house here.

Motorcycles (and small aircraft) have absolutely no lure for me. Nor does falling. <_<

DS1 and DS2 put up a tent today. New kitchen stuff can go into it until the kitchen is ready to work in. I can't afford new kitchen cupboards in plywood, so I ordered garage cupboards in 18 gauge steel. With steel clad wooden counters...yes! Going to keep the sink, and keep it where it is, but put in a new faucet. Going to move the stove (which is not vented anyway) two feet. Going to move the fridge several feet into the open space between the kitchen and dining room, and put cupboards beside it to make alittle bit of a wall. It's going to be so much easier to work in, once there's more than 2feet of usable counterspace, and more than one openable base cupboard.

Dropped my Red Baron at the vet's for X-rays. Advanced stifle disease. They do not recommend surgery. So we'll try painkillers and glucosamine/chondroitin and try to get his weight down by 10% (9-10 lbs) and see if that gives him enough relief. I couldn't get out of the office early enough to pick him up this evening, so he's boarding tonight. Which probably made putting up the tent a lot easier.

Planning to plant some more turmeric as soon as the moon changes.

I'm with you on the motorcycles. I really love to ride them but I've put those days behind me. I have enough problems. Too many people in my family have had wrecks with them. None of them were the cyclists fault. Just today in Indiana a motorcyclist was hit by a cat CAR. He lost his foot but should live. Someone I 'know' saw it happen and rushed to his aide. He was unconscious. Pretty gruesome.

I can't afford new cabinets with all of the other stuff that needs done here too. I'm going to try to paint them. It seems white painted cabinets are 'in' right now. Congrats on your kitchen re-do.

Edited by Jeepers

Wow, Ambergris. Kitchen that is workable is SUCH a good thing. I'm still reveling in my reclaimed space!! :hapydancsmil:

Still dealing with snow today. Mostly trying to remove the heavy stuff from pathways. Spent some time trying to get thick layer off my truck topper. It's aluminum...not that sturdy for heavy weight like that. The expected SUNSHINE was a no-show. I was counting on the melt-factor to slide that snow right off. Parked at a tilt to encourage it! :grinning-smiley-044:

Unpaved complex driveway is a mess of mud and packed snow. But still leagues ahead since it was basically plowed. Just so we don't get too much more snow before we get warm weather to melt more of this stuff! :imoksmiley:

MtRider .....DH got 4 more hay bales today and we used sled to scoot them over to hay shed. We do this all year 'round but sliding on snow is easier. Wheeee....

The cupboards got dumped in the driveway, at the near-street end (actually on county-owned property!) because the truck couldn't get up the sand part of my driveway. The heaviest box is nearly 600 pounds. I'm glad the cupboards are rainproof!

Rain off and on most of the day. Abby-girl took a "dig" so ended up looking like a mud wrestler when MrWE2 went to get her...he left her out because it wasn't raining :-( Got up early this morning so we could take motorcycle in for inspection and new tires. I mostly pittled around today other than washing, drying and putting away towels. Didn't even think about mopping floors with all this rain...and Abby-girl coming and going for her biz.

Edited by The WE2's