MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Rained off and on most of day, no problemoh! Made some worms come to the top of the soil (in Abby-s yard) so MrWE2 was out there with a flashlight picking a bunch of them up and putting them in a jar I filled with potting soil. They'll love their new home in my compost bin :-) I'd planned of red wigglers but hey...these were free! I have a box of newspapers that I'm going to tear in strips and put in my compost bin along with the other stuff...old leaves, coffee grounds, egg shells etc. When we took the compost bucket that we keep here, it had already made some compost "tea" so I'm sure our compost bin at the Homestead welcomed the addition :-) Took a little drive out in the country to some friends to take a look at the cold frames they built and they've got some nice starts. Abby-girl ran and had a merry old time and then stuck her foot in one of their raised beds that had plastic over it! :-( Really felt bad, but they didn't seem to be upset..but that's the way they are :-) Told us "we'll stick some tape over it". Worked over at the Homestead a little bit, sorting through things. MrWE2 needed to unload tools from the back of the truck, that he had brought over here to do the work on the kitchen counter and sink. While we he was doing that I gave the compost bin a turn. Didn't open the lid to check moisture content but it sounded like it was moving around pretty good. Will have to add some water when I put the newspaper shreds in though. When I put the worms in I'll probably throw in a bit of corn meal and some oatmeal for them to get "happy" and reproduce :-) Fixed some white chili for our lunch and then some beef steaks, fried potatoes w/bell peppers, onions & garlic and some mixed veggies. Now we're loafing! LOL

Trying to clear the last of the obvious clutter for when kids/Grkids come in a few days. :runcirclsmiley2:

I'm not having grandiose plans for really having the place look great.....but I NEED those last two kitchen shelves sanitized! Had an unexpected difficult day on Friday....and today was the Second Day Affect :faint3: So....today [sunday] was a rest day ...as it should be. Hopefully tomorrow....reclaim shelves and put away all my pots/pans/etc. THEN kitchen will be clear for 7 people. Before this restoration project, it didn't fit one very well. Now I need to clear the rubble that ended up in the tiny living room during the KITCHEN CLEARANCE. :sigh: Honestly won't take that much. By tomorrow night, the dog might have a place to lay down in the living room. Sheeesh.

MtRider ....looking FORWARD to a great visit :wub:

Got laundry done for the week. Made some artisan-type bread, baked a small carrot cake and got a garden experiment started...relating to green bell peppers. Rinsed sprout column for the last time I think. They're looking really good, so I'll put them in a VaccuCraft vacuum cannister and put them in the frig. MrWE2 enjoys them on his sandwiches that he takes in his lunch box...cooler. Took Abby-girl to the dog park for a good romp and then ate supper and just finished watching some Modern Marvel shows on youtube. Dishes are done & cast iron is cleaned and dried on the stove burner. MrWE2 took Abby out for some "biziness" and came back in with another hand full of worms for my warm jar :-) Crumbled up some egg shells (I fixed some hard boiled eggs) and put a couple of drops of water in the jar. Crocheted a pot scrubber. Found some plastic twine stuff at $Tree and even though it's hard to work with it makes excellent pot scrubbers. I take them outside and use a match to seal the ends. Did some online bill paying :-( Tomorrow is bathroom cleaning and time to vacuum, sweep and steam-clean vinyl floors. These old vinyl floors are at least 40 years old and you just can't get them really clean so I use my steam mop.

Got the buckets loaded for my newly started worm bucket. Still need to drill more side ventilation holes so MrWE2 brought his drill home for me to use :-) When I transferred the collected worms one of them silly things was so big I nearly jumped out of my skin! Guess they are all in a feeding frenzy right now :-) I'll get the holes drilled and then I'll leave them alone until they need more food etc. Started another bucket for just compost. Don't want to put the worms into my compost bin at the Homestead because I'd not be able to get them out easily. When we get too many worms I'll just set some free in the garden or in the outside compost area where all we have to do is keep adding layers etc. Got my floors done today and got my towels etc., washed up. They're in the dryer and I'll fold them tomorrow. Went and exercised our rights after MrWE2 got home, took Abby to the dog park and then went for pizza night. We hadn't been there for nearly a year at least. They have a huge pizza and salad buffet on Tuesday evenings.

After sweeping , laundry, working in the yard I mowed yes I mowed my immediate lawn yesterday. I have never mowed before April and usually wait until May. But people were still mowing in December. This has been a different winter!Then I hemmed one dress..still not confident about hemming on the machine.

Today is beautiful, calm, clear and cool.

Transferred my pictures from Monday's kayaking trip to Canyon Lake.

Here's a Sand Crane posing for me...

Sand Crane1.png

Did not catch any fish.

Yesterday, I spent most of the morning moving the chickens into an area where they will be shaded for the summer. They will get evening direct sun light, but won't have to endure the searing day time light.

Today, I need to clean up the area they were at, under the pine tree. The straw should fill the mulch bin. Supposed to get close to 90 today, so I will also try to get some weeding done. Wish my garden would grow as well as the weeds do. lol.

One of DH's friends gave us some jalapeños that had turned red, they've been diced and sun dried. (dehydrated) Thinking about grinding them up into powder, depending on how oily they are. I made the mistake of touching them without gloves on, then rubbed my eye!!! Oh my!!!! Won't do that again for a while.

Had a busy afternoon. Went and got my taxes done. Sigh. Then went to get my oil etc. changed. That went well but the guy said my oil pan is very rusty and the transmission pan is even worse. I keep it parked inside the garage unless I'm using it. Crud.

Had a busy afternoon. Went and got my taxes done. Sigh. Then went to get my oil etc. changed. That went well but the guy said my oil pan is very rusty and the transmission pan is even worse. I keep it parked inside the garage unless I'm using it. Crud.

Where's the sandpaper and Rustoleum! LOL

Mixed up a tiny little batch of "starter" just to see if I can do it by "capturing" wild yeast. We have lots of elm trees and walnut trees in our area but it was too cold today today I think, so I've got it setting on my kitchen counter near my aloe plants. We took Abby to the dog park again today and she played frisbie with MrWE2 since nobody else was there. She adores her "toy" :-) Can't leave her in her yard anymore. She starts digging the minute we get out of sight, so we've got about six holes now that we'll fill with her "stuff" and sprinkle with cayenne and then cover with some soil we might be able to confiscate from a neighboring vacant lot. Started working on my little "loom" today. Got it strung so my fingers are sore. Made several rows across but fingers got tired. Its about a 2'x2' square so when I get a square I'm thinking I can patch several together to make some nice blankets/throws.

Where's the sandpaper and Rustoleum! LOL

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Edited because it posted before I got to post. :grinning-smiley-044:

Edited by Jeepers

It is another gorgeous spring day here! I just love it..before the heat and the bugs come in.

I had to do errands in town and it was so pretty everywhere with the dogwoods and red bud trees all abloom. I got my drivers license renewed, groceries etc. When I got home I made a big batch of chili so it is simmering away for dinner tonight. I'll just make some cornbread to go along with it and DH will be a happy man.

Just a plain lazy day around here. Swept the floors (with Abby having a double coat) which is almost a daily chore :-( Made a small batch of macadamia nut cookies and cooked up the rice, turkey ground beef and refried beans so they were ready when we got back from the dog park. That's about all. Planning to do some work in the garden area this weekend. Unbagging and spreading all the leaves we collected, covering them with wood chips and hopefully putting up the fence that will fence off an small area for son's dogs. He's not happy but that's the way it goes when you don't own your own property and are occupying an apartment pretty much by the grace of your mom and step-dad...whom you've trashed with your mouth for the last 8 years or better :-(

Laundry done, wood brought in for the week end. Though it is on the covered patio it draws enough dampness to make it harder to start. My sourdough starter needed more tang so set it back out in the cloudy weather to gain more. Then I went to the Amish Bulk store for more bread flour, and found rye flour! Came home cut up the last pumpkin and it was so hard! I will be drying it when it is cooked, my lunch is baking along with the pumpkin. The bed is changed and those dresses 3 of them lack so little...

I can skip tons of lines and it still all runs together. It must be my puter cuz it started doing it everywhere I post all of a sudden. It looks like I am a sentence runner onner..lol

Today is gorgeous again. I am trying to do some spring things while the weather holds. DH has already cut the grass(weeds) in the yard.

Momo....for spacing can you .................................then begin what would be the next paragraph. It's an awkward do-around but until you find a way to fix it...????

Snowing here. Fluffy stuff. Not too busy yet.

MtRider .... I've been known to be a sentence runner-onner toooo! :laughkick:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Cold, rainy and dreary day :-( Went this morning for my annual physical and I'm doing fine. Doc recommended some OTC for motion sickness to try and help the dizzyness. My ears hear fine...they just don't keep me balanced...vertigo :-( When I got home I made a batch of bread. We love the round loaves that I make in my small cast iron skillet :-) While oven what hot baked a cherry cobbler/pie, green bean casserole and some (3) smoked neck bones with bbq sauce. Not a lot of meat but very tasty for $2.35 :-) Were planning to work in the garden this weekend but I don't think it's going to happen. It's just too cold to be out in it and the moisture from the rain will only make for a miserable attempt. So...we'll probably go to the city to pick up some more Nitrile gloves. MrWE2 uses them to pick up Abby-girl's "left overs" from her yard :-) Doc took some blood to check thyroid levels. It's been some time and I'm curious. I've been using Frankensence essential oil daily. It's supposed to help balance thyroid issues. If it works they'd want to reduce the dosage? MrWE2's lost a couple more pounds! Me? I've been housebound too much so I've not lost anything :-( Hopefully the weather will warm on up and I'll be able to get out a bit. With MrWE2 working 5 days a week I have no vehicle to go any place :-( The fuel pump went out on Miss B and it will require the fuel tank to be dropped to repair it. Cost of fuel pump? About $50. Cost of dropping fuel tank? Probably a couple hundred if Mr doesn't do it himself :-(

Edited by The WE2's

Cold, rainy and dreary day :-( Went this morning for my annual physical and I'm doing fine. Doc recommended some OTC for motion sickness to try and help the dizzyness. My ears hear fine...they just don't keep me balanced...vertigo :-( When I got home I made a batch of bread. We love the round loaves that I make in my small cast iron skillet :-) While oven what hot baked a cherry cobbler/pie, green bean casserole and some (3) smoked neck bones with bbq sauce. Not a lot of meat but very tasty for $2.35 :-) Were planning to work in the garden this weekend but I don't think it's going to happen. It's just too cold to be out in it and the moisture from the rain will only make for a miserable attempt. So...we'll probably go to the city to pick up some more Nitrile gloves. MrWE2 uses them to pick up Abby-girl's "left overs" from her yard :-) Doc took some blood to check thyroid levels. It's been some time and I'm curious. I've been using Frankensence essential oil daily. It's supposed to help balance thyroid issues. If it works they'd want to reduce the dosage? MrWE2's lost a couple more pounds! Me? I've been housebound too much so I've not lost anything :-( Hopefully the weather will warm on up and I'll be able to get out a bit. With MrWE2 working 5 days a week I have no vehicle to go any place :-( The fuel pump went out on Miss B and it will require the fuel tank to be dropped to repair it. Cost of fuel pump? About $50. Cost of dropping fuel tank? Probably a couple hundred if Mr doesn't do it himself :-(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJJJX2Q It helped me tremendously.

I had to do the monthly Walmart expedition to day. Got home, had lunch, and then had a young girl I hired, come help with some Spring cleaning. Well, family is coming form other states kind of cleaning. Glad to get that done! She will come help once more before they show. I just can't do it all and work and cook etc. .... Tomorrow is Church, cook and ebay listing. That's enough for the day!

Winter is back here in southern MS, such as it is anyway. It sure has been a strange one this year!

Edited by snapshotmiki

Snowed.....but it's melting.

I slid backwards down my driveway yesterday. Well....I'd taken it out of 4-wheel drive cuz of the pseudo spring. :lois: Then since there was only 4" of snow....didn't get out and turn the knobs on the wheels to engage 4-wheel again. :wacko: Got half way up and it was one of those RARE times when the vehicle slid towards the DROP-OFF side of the driveway. Cuz it's tilted slightly to the uphill side of driveway....so you don't go over the drop-off. It's a roll-over or end-over-end type of drop-off, btw. :o Did ALL the right things to create friction to STOP sliding. Nothing helped. S L O W L Y ....I N E X O R A B L Y....S L I D I N G B A C K W A R D S! Was beginning to plan how to jump out when it stopped.

ONLY slid about 3 feet.....but that's a lot when you're out of control and slowly sliding towards the edge. Aiiieeee! Finally stopped. Thank YOU, God! :amen: Got out and turned the knobs; got in and set the gear. Then had to back carefully down the driveway backwards ...under control this time. Sheeesh. Went up again .....takes nothing to go up in 4-wheel. Amazing just how REALLY slippery it was! Greasy!

MtRider :imoksmiley:

Edited by Mt_Rider

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJJJX2Q It helped me tremendously.

We've got three different types, but when you have vertigo you're balance is almost always "off". Have two of the big balance inflatable balls too :-) We also have a Wii (not hooked back up since we moved it from enclosed porch) and I had a terrible time. Gave up my bicycle and went to a trike. Doc says "it's not worth falling and busting a bone"...so I just deal with it.

Edited by The WE2's

We sorted through the things we purchased at a freight sale we went to in the city. Picked up some pretty good bargains. Put everything away so we're back to our normal kitchen and pantry. Went to Aldi's today and replaced some of the foods we've eaten this past month. MrWE2 took Abby-girl for a long walk. It's been so cold and rainy we didn't go to the dog park. She'd be a wet muddy mess we feared :-( Had to turn the furnace back on. The temps have been freezing at night. Checked the temp at the Homestead and it was 49 so we didn't turn the heat pump back on there. They've had freeze warnings out for the last two days...winter tisn't over yet!

This has been a week of just being a housewife :-) Got the baking done yeserday so today I just pittled around...again :-) Did get the tub/shower etc., scrubbed (didn't get it done yesterday) though. The weather is extremely windy and cold. Didn't take Abby to the dog park because it's cold and it rained big time last night and the park was probably wet.