MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

MrWE2 mowed the yard here while I chopped & hauled brush etc., to the compost pile. Then we noticed two other grocers here in town (owned by same people) were having yogurt on sale for .39 and no limit. So we're pretty well stocked with yogurt for a bit. Maybe that will give me time to learn to make my own! Then we settled in and while MrWE2 was reading I watched some women's college softball...from 2015 (we don't have cable) on youtube. I love that game! Used to play it :-) When I'm finished with 2015 I'll start watching whats available for 2016. The NOAA weather alert radio kept us hopping for about an hour or so while a storm front moved through. It didn't come into our direct area and we barely got any rain.

Filling out a bunch of paperwork to prequalify for mortgage and/or equity line of credit. Have several places we're interested in up in Wisconsin. Lots of prayer needed before making an offer on either one of them. Just when we think we've decided, another house comes on the market out in the country. :grinning-smiley-044:

Welll....I'd tried to post here but my computer had a FIT! :twister3: Had to unplug and drop battery. My shut-off button has never had any affect. Same button will turn ON the laptop. But doesn't shut it OFF.

Thankfully, reassembling it and turning back on has worked....tho it didn't save what I was writing. <_<

Weather is ...moist - in all the variations of that.

MtRider ....so far, we don't have to shovel "moist". :rolleyes:

Edited by Annarchy

I hear you pain, Ambergris.

On hold with the insurance company and the doctor offices. Then, waiting rooms.....

Guess what? The doctor said, "It's not his heart."

:scratchhead:

Since we were near Sams, we got a couple of items we needed. Honey and lemon juice should last a year or more.

Filling out a bunch of paperwork to prequalify for mortgage and/or equity line of credit. Have several places we're interested in up in Wisconsin. Lots of prayer needed before making an offer on either one of them. Just when we think we've decided, another house comes on the market out in the country. :grinning-smiley-044:

Purchasing a home is a major investment...take your time :-) I spent many years as a realtor's assistant and watched many buyers rush into something that "looked good". My advice? Always have a home inspection done that will make your offer contingent on the report. It will be worth the dollars :-)

Laundry...done. Bed linens changed...done. Kitchen, bath & breezeway swept & damp mopped...done. Dishes...done. Carpets vacuumed...done. Two loaves of bread baked for this week...done. Peach upside down cake baked...done. Roast w/veggies baked in cast iron pot...done. Figured I'd get it all done while the oven was hot! LOL Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get some of my spring blouses & shirts out of the vacuum bags and my winter sweaters and heavy long sleeved shirts vacuum sealed down. Hardly had any winter here so it was almost a waste of time vacuum sealing my spring and summer clothes. Glad I kept a few autumn and spring tops hanging in the closet or I'd have been smothering on some of those 70+ days we had a week or so ago. Still either too cold or too rainy to do anything with our garden plans :-( Looks like we'll have to buy some of our plants if we want anything to harvest, and keep our fingers crossed for planting the other stuff in time for a harvest. May find ourselves using "low tunnel" more than we planned to extend our growing season.

....what I HAD posted earlier, before my aging laptop went into fits....

:pray: that God will let Homesteaders know exactly where HE needs them...for whatever HE has in mind for them to do for HIM now.

Well, our weather kept changing from sun/clouds/rain/snow/graupel/sun/clouds/FOG! Between the second sun/clouds/FOG, we all went to the Nat. Forest for a short excursion. DH, Koa, and I. We went to our usual spot and ..... <_< ...had an "Easter egg hunt", so to speak. It has been obviously used for a shooting range. We picked up THREE GROCERY BAGS full of recyclable stuff. When we were done, there wasn't a bunch of red/green/yellow stuff allllll over. Well, can come in handy. Koa loves to smell new smells. And that 'family time' thing in the truck! Wears her out pretty quick. Came home and did chores. Ducks' first day on the half-melted pond. They came in as they should...or they could get iced in over night! This is pretty early but they were LOVING IT! I chopped and DH made homemade deep dish pizza.

MtRider :feedme:

WE's - We've learned to get inspection reports on each property, plus septic pump dates, and condition of the well. Thanks for reminding us about taking our time, though. :hug3:

We're making a list of 'advantages' and 'disadvantages' for each place. It's easier than trying to remember each line-item. In sales, it's called the Ben Franklin close. Generally, the column with the most entries wins!

We take our carpenter friend with us on each walk-through. We always find more problems than the inspection reports turn up. I guess we have fresher batteries in our flashlights and aren't afraid to go crawling around in attics and basements. We're also more critical with the places that have been on the market for a few months. There's always a reason they haven't sold in a timely manner. Hopefully, we don't purchase so much on emotion, but leave the decision-making to homesteading functionality and flipping price. Trying to be good stewards of God's resources. :hapydancsmil:

Just make sure you get a really good inspector. I found things he never checked. The ones he pointed out were not even of major importance.

Beautiful day,need to mow ,but will see if a drive first will give me my breath back. Three cases of pneumonia in 5 years have done a number on my lungs.

This seems to be the week for running errands here.

I got some groceries, did my banking, gassed up the Jeep and got my Rx refilled.

I went to the post office and picked up a couple more boxes to ship out to Indy. I sat them on the counter while I was buying stamps and the lady asked me where I was sending them to. I told her I wasn't buying them I just sat them on the counter while I bought some stamps. They are free until you mail them so I was getting a little confused. She asked again where I was sending them to. She was trying to talk me out of getting them saying some other box would be cheaper. The more she talked the more confused I got. I hate when that happens. I didn't want the other box. It wasn't as big and I know my finances. I wasn't in the mood to count pennies. She was starting to get pushy and annoying. I finally told her that I knew what I wanted. Dang. Then I told her I wanted some sheets of stamps. Admittedly I wanted quite a few. Then she brought out a roll. I told her again I wanted sheets. She just looked at me. Sigh. I explained I wanted flat sheet because I store them with my flat address labels and with my flat checkbook. Then she asked me why I wanted so many! Were they for gifts? Uh no. I'm getting them because the price just went down and now I won't have to buy any more for the next couple of years. I went to a different post office from the one in my town because it was close to where my errands were. Crimony. I won't make that mistake again. If she hadn't been elderly I would probably have blown a gasket. She was on my last nerve. Then I was kicking myself for explaining myself to her and got mad all over again.

A fine line between trying to be helpful and pushy...and nosy.

Thanks Miki! I don't do Ebay but I did check. No luck. I didn't know about Goodwill's site but I just checked there and they didn't have any. Amazon has the pattern but not the plate. I even went to the Corelle site and they didn't have any either. I'm still searching. I did find one place that had them but they were sold out. They are sort of like a small pie pan but not as deep. They are really great for keeping stuff on the plate. If I get desperate, the outlet store has them in white.

It isn't really quite as deep as the picture looks.

Wooo-Hooo. I finally found some of the soup plates! They are from some place in N.C. called Replacements, Ltd. They had 6 so I ordered them. I just noticed the dishes are stamped made in the USA. Happy Camper today. :hapydancsmil:

I don't think I'll have to buy any dishware or glasses or oven crock type cookware, pots and pans now for as long as I live. Actually, I think I now have all of the kitchen stuff I'll ever need and....it all matches. Important for OCD types. Matchy-Matchy. :008Laughing:

:thumbs: Yeah, Jeepers! Glad you found your bowl-plates. Amazing ..the amount of resources we can access right now. Staggering....the complexity and variety that is on the market right now.

Last nite I almost didn't make it thru feeding. Suddenly got very weak/dizzy/blacking-out. Sat on a rock for a while before making my way over to finish. Did NOT walk dog...but let her run in the goat's pen [after getting goat into goathouse]. Barely made the steps. Rested and was able to get about later evening.

Then this morning, I knew I wasn't great but....hey, it's morning. I'm never great. Then I went downstairs to transfer last nite's laundry load to dryer and up to the clothesline. .....Uh, oh. Blacking out again. Having nausea with this too...slightly. As I staggered up the rest of the steps it dawned on me. Something has been causing me a massive sinus reaction lately. That's where nausea comes too. Oh great....seasonal? This EARLY spring setting off something to plague me?

Well...at LEAST it's not a microbe-type illness that I can pass to others. Non-communicable. Gotta watch stairs and labor tho. Triggering black-out feelings. :yar: Yuk!

MtRider ....not doing much. Taking me two days to do one load of laundry. :clothesline:

Got most of my spring/summer clothes un-vacuumed and my winter clothes vacuum sealed. Had to get it done 'cause they were all over our bed! Just threw them into the dryer with my "little green steam ball" (2 loads) and they were ready to hang up. Now...to vacuum seal winter coats :-( Glad I never unsealed the blankets and comforters and only used the two fleece blankets :-) Just washed & foled up the one fleece blanket and it's in the linen rack. When MrWE2 got home we went to the Roost to pick up his fencing tools because we plan to string fence at the Homestead, to keep son's dogs in a much smaller space and not all over our property doing ther duties :-( Bro called (he's the successor trustee of mother's trust) and he'll be picking up the two mowers that mother gave to him...even though we were the ones who took care of her and son mowed the yard...so we'll be having to buy a riding mower if we want son to mow. He's disabled from a back injury and can't push a mower. Couldn't have picked a worse time financially, but God will provide. He always does. MrWE2 thought he only had another week or so to finish at the hotel, and the district manager came today and "appointed" another project. We're beginning to wonder if they're trying to keep him full time...he's supposed to be retired :-(

Thanks Miki! I don't do Ebay but I did check. No luck. I didn't know about Goodwill's site but I just checked there and they didn't have any. Amazon has the pattern but not the plate. I even went to the Corelle site and they didn't have any either. I'm still searching. I did find one place that had them but they were sold out. They are sort of like a small pie pan but not as deep. They are really great for keeping stuff on the plate. If I get desperate, the outlet store has them in white.

It isn't really quite as deep as the picture looks.

Wooo-Hooo. I finally found some of the soup plates! They are from some place in N.C. called Replacements, Ltd. They had 6 so I ordered them. I just noticed the dishes are stamped made in the USA. Happy Camper today. :hapydancsmil:

I don't think I'll have to buy any dishware or glasses or oven crock type cookware, pots and pans now for as long as I live. Actually, I think I now have all of the kitchen stuff I'll ever need and....it all matches. Important for OCD types. Matchy-Matchy. :008Laughing:

:thumbs: and :thumbs: again!

Edited by The WE2's

Have started dividing up perennials and sticking a few in pots to move north with us. They live very well under the deck ... lots of rain but filtered sun.

We have a friend from the Republic of the Congo staying with us this week so we're having lots of laughs and yummy cooking. It is good when friends can get together and share what God has done in their lives throughout the years. Gratefulness is wonderful for the soul. :hug3:

I'm so glad it was not your dh's heart, Ann! And I hope you find a sound homestead soon, Homesteader!

Here, the family has come and gone. They all even came to dinner one night. Made jambalaya and garlic bread with a strawberry cheesecake shortcake thing for dessert. All went well! The same day they left, we sold our chickens. Very strange having them gone! And the same day we received a letter from VA saying they are still processing his app. So within 3 months we should have an answer as to how much he will receive. Still too soon to start really looking in FL but getting closer.

Things are moving along!

Mt. Rider, try not to move so fast maybe! LOL

Went fishing yesterday. Didn't catch any fish, but, took a plethora of photographs. Hoping some come out good.

I needed a day away. The day before, I planted more carrots, beats and some black eyed peas, collected rain water off of everything, moved a heavy planter and pulled a muscle in my mid back. Stupid... :banghead: I knew better, but I was feeling great and wanted to get things done. I floated in the river for a little bit which seemed to relieve the ache. :amen:

Today I have a lot of catching up to do and I need to begin to prepare to go to TX next week. MIL wants me to update her tv system, so I will also be on the phone to the company to get her a couple of new receiver boxes.

Aww....that's too bad, Annarchy. One slip of judgment and OW! I keep on DH about his currently fragile back. It's doing reallly well right now. He's only feeling a twinge now and then ....to remind him. Too easy to forget and think....oh, it's just this little thing.

Possible to go visit folks today but so far, not feeling well. Shaky and yuk. Not microbe ill :fever::grinning-smiley-044: Just weak. Any exertion like climbing stairs/hills or carrying things. Yeah, Miki.....I'll try doing that stuff in Slow-Mo! :shrug: It might help.

Speaking of stairs....had gone down to tell DH not to get caught up in a project cuz hot pancakes were ready. [shoulda hollered down the furnace vent but didn't think of it] Did one of my infamous miss the step on the way up. Allll my life I have fallen UP stairs. Never down. Found out it's an MS-can't-level-out-foot trick. Official term: "drop foot". Then toe catches on next step and depending on your speed driving upwards..... :busted: ....you slam face forward onto the stairs. Being a veteran of this technique, I reflexively put out both hands to catch the steps. Otherwise I'd be doing a face-plant into the stair steps still above me. Instead, it's a backwards push-up.

I caught it in time this morning but....then EVERYthing locked. Lay there spread out on steps...kissing one of them. Frozen. Can't move anything. <_< Common ....that lock-up. But kind of a strain half way up the stairs. Fortunately, DH came out of basement and rescued me. Just has to touch/rub on hands/arms/legs to "help me find them". Then I can move and get up. Otherwise, it takes several minutes to unlock. Nothing was damaged. Just got stuck ....but it rattled my whole nervous system. Shaking a lot! :sigh: Not a real good start to morning.

MtRider .....resting now. Mebbe I'll get to go visit folks... :shrug::imoksmiley:

Floating on a river sounds soooo nice.

I enjoy it. This time of year the water is frigid. In the 60's, I think. Numbs the limbs. :grinning-smiley-044:

Had a chance to sort through all the pictures I took.

Here's what it looks like, Grrr thinks he found something....

Grrr1604131.png

When I called him, he gave me that "What?!" look....

What?.png

A desert view.... Saguaros are in bloom. I haven't taken photos of them yet...

Desert1604131.png

And a close up of the prickly pear cactus flowers....

PricklyPear1604131.png

I'm better today. No dizzy so far. :amen: I did miss going to see folks yesterday tho. :( Now with this WEATHER.... best I saved my energy! I'd like to slip out and ride for a few minutes....before everything goes WHITE again.

MtRider ...hmmm?

Woohooo! I've been feeling better for sure. :)

--I rode the horse.

--Fixed the corner post of the garden [...well, I propped it back up so the horses don't get tangled in downed fencing.]

--Quick Repair to the back of the duckhouse...plastic baffle that keeps the rain/snow-melt out of egg boxes was disintegrating in sun/UV...so stapled a new sheet in there before this storm.

--Took dog and goat for leisurely walk in pasture. Goat eating the new greens. Dog trying to dig up pasture varmints. :rolleyes:

--Put ducks in early with food/water...since they all came up from the pond while I worked on their house.

--Goat is set with hay/water. Just have to close her door later.

--Will feed horses later so they've got their stomachs full for the night of snow. Stupid things won't use the shed....stand out in it, getting wet. <_<

......but I also fell today. :0327: Sheeeeesh! Just as I got off the horse, putting away the bridle. Small divot made my L ankle turn over sideways to the outside. My ankles have always done this and my reflex to get pressure OFF ankle before it's a bad sprain or break. I dive for the ground. It's actually involuntary, cuz when ankle turns over, I'm gonna fall anyway. But I don't try to stop...just focus on landing ok.

While it did save ankle from further damage, I'm finding a number of sore spots as a result of the dive. Ankle is mildly sore/not sprained. Left wrist is stiff/sore. Left hip isn't happy...wants a chiro! :shakinghead:

Well shoot! I can go weeks without falling and now I've done twice in two days. And I'd just done my therapeutic ride!!! :gaah:

It won't negate the benefit of the ride and I did avoid a sprained/broken ankle..... but that was a very hard fall. :faint3: Not a roll. <_<

Anyway, my pre-storm prepping finished just as the snow began to fall. Two hrs later...we're back to White Christmas :santa: instead of Greening Spring. :lois: Roads/driveway is still just wet tho. DH is on his way home....wet roads, not icy. Tomorrow will be a rude awakening in the morning, I fear. Cuz this snow IS COMING DOWN!

MtRider .....oh, boy..... :blink: ...prepped and braced for whatever will be..... :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider