MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Sorry that happened to you Littlesister. I know how that is. One time son was at my house and it got dark out. We decided to go someplace and got in my car to leave. I opened the garage door and started barreling out and son yelled, "Stop!" I came just inches from smashing into his car. I vividly remember that feeling still today.

His car was pulled over to the side of the driveway but I have a 2 car garage and I park in the middle of it. 

• Like 2

Made it safely to TX.  Smooth ride, not a lot of traffic, a lot of big 18 wheelers.  Terrible inversion layer, looked like a dust storm, covering all of Los Cruses.  :yuk:

Time to get some sleep, CoC installation meeting in the morning, and yes, I will be chauffeuring 4 Ladies.  

• Like 4

Welllll....... I feel ALIVE today!  :amen:   :cele:   :amen:  

Okay, all the cheering just wore me out again......  :0327:       :lol:  

Rotten nite again.  Awake and stayed awake at 3am.  Drat!  I think I might have been edgy about our MORNING appt.  We always do afternoons cuz....with DH working late, we don't DO mornings.  Afraid we'll oversleep morning appointments.

But the day got better.  I used my wheelchair cuz I had no energy to waste.  At some point during our getting ready and getting there.......most of the coughing stopped.  :o  What?  NO!  Doc needs to HEAR IT!    

Hmph, not to worry.  She got to hear plenty.  Thanked me for coming in masked.....especially when she told me what she had to go research for a few minutes.  She "doesn't think it is BUT....."  She had the MA stick mega-Q tips up both nostrils for testing.   OUCH, that is UNpleasant!  That's how they test for flu too.......  But that wasn't what Dr needed to rule out.  Pertussis...Whooping Cough.  :blink:

I told ya all that I was making one hellatious racket!

"Wait, I said.  Even back in the Dark Ages of my youth, we were vaccinated for that!"   Her response was a bit mumbled about how long the vaccines really last.  AND then I remembered the school in TX with 100% vaccination compliance.  Yet they had to shut down for all the Pertussis they had there.  Not vaccinate 50 or 60 yrs ago.....these are kids.  

I didn't mention that.  :happy0203:   I'm going to save that gem as an opening gambit to our eventual talk about "HOW DID YOU HAVE 6 NEUROLOGIST AND YOU'VE NEVER BEEN ON THE MS MEDS?"     { cuz I don't choose to be a guinea pig!}   Yeah, we'll have that discussion now that I'm also her patient...not just in there with DH. 

Anyway, she said she was going to call this "bronchitis".  I'm due for my once-in-a-decade episode with that.  Yet...am I simply not remembering or ...this doesn't feel like what I remember.  I remember pain.  I don't have pain.  Just incessant coughing!  The results will pop up in my Internet - accessible chart.  Started with steroid to reduce swelling...and antibiotic today.  Pertussis is bacterial.   

Pharmacy didn't have the codeine cough syrup.  But my coughing has already reduced by three-fourths!  :amen: 

MtRider  ...THANKS for prayers!!!!!!   Progress finally achieved!!!!   Hoping for GOOD sleep tonite!  :pray: 

• Like 3

Wow Mt Rider, I havn't heard about pertussus in years.  Hope you are feeling better soon. :pray:  Guess this could mean maybe we all should think about getting our old childhood vaccinations again. :shakinghead:

Ann Glad you made it to Texas safely.  Get some sleep. You earned it.

Whooping cough made a big come back a few years ago. The last shot I got, a couple of months ago, had three different vaccines in it along with tetanus. One of them was pertussis. I can't remember what the other two were. I have it written down in my med file. Maybe rubella? But yeah, those old vaccines probably don't last 60 years.  :blush:

Hope you have an easy night.  :hug3:

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Ann, I'm glad you made it safely to Texas.  Is this the trip you'll have a Storm with you for the ride home?

Yes.  He gets on his trip Friday, in KY.  His last driver picks him up in San Antonio and will drive him here, spending Sunday night in a hotel & I pick him up Monday morning, just before I start my trip home.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Annarchy said:

Yes.  He gets on his trip Friday, in KY.  His last driver picks him up in San Antonio and will drive him here, spending Sunday night in a hotel & I pick him up Monday morning, just before I start my trip home.  

I hope it goes well!!  I feel like MtRider and I should have helped you with a list. 

• Haha 3
23 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Hubby finished getting  the new sump pump in and it's functional

NOT...went over this morning and basement had water again.  The "pedestal" type just didn't work I guess (that's what was in it before).  So he took it back to Menards and had to spend more money and get a submersible.  :gaah:

• Sad 3

Got the bad news on my brother.  Lung cancer has spread to his throat...inoperable.  What makes it so difficult for him (I'm sure) and all of us siblings, is that my other brother (that was a year younger than myself) basically lost his battle at a very young age.  He's been gone for many years, but we all remember him going to the doctor for a "bite" on his leg.  His blood pressure was so high the doc said "you go sit in the waiting room and calm down".  After a half hour...same result.  Doc said "you're not going any place but to the hospital, in an ambulance"...then they found his body riddled with this demon!  Just too many memories and now we're facing it again.  My prayer is that he'll draw close to our Father God and Jesus, and not be bitter or angry...and that he can make right whatever needs to be made right.

• Sad 5

Did "go shopping" at the homestead so we'd have plenty of whatever I needed to keep us in good meals ... bad weather is supposed to be moving back in again.  Tonight I fixed some fish, fries and re-fried beans (I put a few chopped green chilies in them) for our supper.  Can't have too many cans of those little chopped chilies!  Now...I need to head to the kitchen and get some ham slices re-bagged and vacuum sealed. Tomorrow I'll do some dessert baking. For lunch today we had some of my bean and veggie soup with some Lunchables (we bought a case of them at the Mennonite store...3.50$) that I had stored in the freezer.  They go very nicely with soups.  

• Like 3

One Lady came to mom’s house, picked up another, the 3rd had a dentist appointment, so she met us at the meeting, the 4th drove herself.  We had reserved tables.  They honored all the past Directors and the Mexican CoC Ladies were there also.  The Director of the Chamber was there & encouraged more direct contact, communication and participation of the Woman’s department with the Chamber in reaching the community and surrounding areas directly.  Something we all have been trying to accomplish. Erm....the Woman’s department was established in 1920. Yeah, it’s been a long time coming.  Lol. Our oldest member is over 100 years old and half of the active members are pushing 90+++. 

Came home and rested.  I did some reading, until my eyes got to tired to focus.  Mom watched her normal TV shows, News, world news, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and a couple remodeling shows, then, I’m getting ready to crash.  I need to do some shopping tomorrow.  It’s easier here, all the stores I have to go to are within 10 miles.  At home, add 50 miles.

:offtobed:

• Like 3

The vaccination I was talking about earlier was for Tetanus and adult Diphtheria and Pertussis boosters. According to Dr. Google initial vaccinations are once in a lifetime but boosters are good about 10 years for adults.  I make sure to get a tetanus shot every 10 years and this time they threw in the diphtheria and pertussis. I might be glad they did this time. I keep forgetting about the shingle shot. I for sure don't want that. I'm a prime candidate for that one.

Best of luck with Storm on your trip home Annarchy. At least he will be used to car rides by the time you get him home.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your brother We2. 'Demon' describes it well.

• Like 2

Tetanus is a good one to keep up to date. We also get one every 10 years.  Need to check med. records as to when the last one was. I am almost sure it was about 5 years ago. But want to double check that.

Took DH for his CT scan and then Monday he goes for last test. the speach barron swallow.  Then to doctor for results a couple weeks after that.  Hope all goes well. He has enough problems to keep up with. 

So rest of day I am cleaning up house a bit and then getting my flour into the freezer for a few days. Need to get all my sugar together and into a 5 gal. bucket.  Going to try to start working on getting my make shift pantries cleaned out and reorganize from scratch with the oldest food going into kitchen to make sure it gets used first. 

Not having a real pantry,  I have a system I try to use. Oldest foods from the hall closet to kitchen with what will not go in kitchen goes to front of shelves and the food from small bedroom closet gets moved to hall closet behind what is left of the oldest foods. Then what is in the next bedroom gets moved to smallest bedroom. Then I have that 3ed closet for the newest foods.  Have already gotten the foods I canned fixed so I am pulling out the oldest first.  I try hard to keep that rotation going like that and so far it has worked out. 

Really wish I had a basement and a root cellar as well.  Maybe one day it will happen.  I can just keep dreaming about it for now. :cloud9:

• Like 3

This morning, I did 35 minute exercise video, bought gasoline, went to Walmart for a couple of things, local grocery for pineapples (99 cents each) to can, thrift shops, visited with friend at nursing home, looked for turnip seeds and rutabagas-- everybody is out. Finally got home and kid came to help with clean out in shed 15 minutes later. Got all that done and a few outside chores. I'm exhausted! Almost 16,000 steps so far! I think I'm about done.

Looking forward to finishing cleaning out in the shed.  There is already some shelving.  The shed is actually an unfinished 30 x 40 ft. concrete block building.  It is shaded and stays cool in the summer so hope to put some canned goods out there to free up space in the house.

• Like 3

I won't have a pantry or basement when I get moved either Littlesister. I'm going to have to get creative too. Plus the kitchen is a galley type so no room to add a bar or island or closet. I'm thinking a spare bedroom. The previous owners sort of messed up the bottom cabinets. They all just have a half shelf in them going across the width of them. It would be nice if just one had it for tall pans and canner etc. But they are all like that. Lots of wasted valuable space. I want to get some cabinet shelf clip things and drill them in to cabinet wall so another shelf can slide in and I can abut it next to the stationary one. Then I can remove it if I need room for a tall item. In other words, one shelf cut in half so I can remove half for tall items. I use shelf liner any way so the seam wouldn't even show. That's the plan anyway.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

Jeepers, Hope it works out for you. Trying to get creative with storing things is not as easy as I would have thought.  If I still had kids living at home.  I would really have a huge issue with finding space.  In bedroom closets we didn't use them for clothes or storage for clothes.  We added shelving all the way across and down for our food. With leaving enough space for 5 lb buckets on floor. The 2 bedroom closets are over flowing, so pulling everything out and cleaning up. Then getting things back in there more organized so I can better find things. The pictures I posted from 2013 in the pantry forum was after I had reorganized all the closets and kitchen cabnets. So it is past time to do it again. Hoping to get started on that next Tuesday. I have already got the food I canned reoragnized under the beds.  Though I am ready to take the smallest bedroom where the extra bed is and put shelving on the walls for the food. There is a house down the street where they had an estate sale. The neighbor used to make dolls. They looked so real and Beautiful dolls. She even made all the doll clothes. She had one bedroom she housed her dolls in. She had shelving going from ceiling to floor on 2 walls and then from middle of wall to ceiling on the other 2 walls.  I am thinking why can't I do that for canned goods. They would only have to be better supported for heavy items like canned foods. I could make a curtain from the top self to the bottom one to keep the food covered. It is an idea but not sure if I will do it yet.

• Like 2

May have mentioned it, but the "new" pedestal sump pump was a piece of junk.  Had water in the basement again day before yesterday.  Hubby took it back to Menards and had to buy a much more expensive one, but it's submersible.  Put it in yesterday.  Checked it today and all was well...really didn't like him to have to get out in this freezing rain but it just had to be done to make sure it was operating.  He hung around and made sure it cycled and re-cycled several times before he locked things up and came on back here.  Said with the new bigger well and being submersible, it doesn't run nearly as long...good! 

Made contact with my sis-in-law about my brother.  He's not handling it well....angry.  She said it's in his throat but had also spread to at least one node.  They're releasing him to go back to work Monday, but will do more testing to see what plan of action they'll be taking.  

I know there's a lot of division on certain "medicinal" plants that are now legal...and our state is one of them for medical...but I think this may be a medical case where it might benefit someone fighting C.  Just my opinion.  I don't know anything really about CBD?  but I've heard that it also relieves pain.  Sounds really bad, but I know miracles are in the hands of our God...so I rest my case on Him.

I haven't slept well for about a week and I think that's why.  My spirit seemed to "know" something was amiss.  I did get a fair amount of sleep last night, but I did take some Kava Kava to assist.  I have many medicinal herbs that I can rely on, but only when absolutely needed.

It's been freezing rain most of the day.  Trees, grass, sidewalks and fences are all iced.  All schools were closed and other government related facilities.  So far I haven't heard of any power outages in our city.  Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up so it will probably melt a lot of it off.  Abby-girl doesn't like the icy grass!  Also makes quick work of her duties with the icy rain pelting down on her...but she loves the rub down she gets before she comes into the house! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So sorry for the news about your brother, WE2.  :pray:  Careful with that MO ice!  My friend tells me their horror stories from KC area.

Well, Thurs I felt 50% better...not much coughing.  Today...blech.  More tired/more coughing.  DH has returned the past two days to TRY to pick up my 'script for codeine cough syrup.  Grocery chain store has not been restocked yet.  So I asked pharmacist over the phone if the 'script could be transferred to another pharmacy that DOES have it.  She was quite helpful and found one that had stock.  But...my doc or her office will have to call in that transfer cuz controlled substance.  By the time the 2nd pharmacy was closing tonite, that had not yet happened.  Hey....I'm TRYING to be compliant with my new doc.  ;)  Trying to make a good impression before ....we disagree on certain topics.  LOL   I think we will know how to agree to disagree.  Too bad I can't bribe her like Kappy does with fresh, home-grown veggies.  LOL

So tonite I had DH bring home a small cabbage.  I bruised up two outer leaves and made a poultice for my chest.  Covered it with a plastic bag and I'm laying here letting it soak in.  Supposed to be good to reduce swelling, etc.  We'll see.  I just ran out to kitchen to take the last dose of Predizone.  I have two more days of single-dose Azithromicin.  [whatever spelling]  Then I have completed those.  I haven't heard any more about pertussis or not.  But the Azthi.... {Z-pack} should knock that out.  Yet....I'm still coughing.  Not as much and not quite as hard but ....still COUGHING!  :0327:    Sleep is still good with Nyquil.  Whew....slow recovery.  DH didn't get as bad but is not yet having restored energy.  Course he had to run back into town every day this week.  Rest tomorrow and supposed to work S/M/T.    :shrug:  

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Sad 1

Sorry your first pump didn't work out. Mine is a submersible one too. I think I'm only on my second or third one in over 30 years. 

Personally, I don't agree with the recreational "herb" but I do support it 100% for its medical use. If I had cancer and knew it would help, I'd go on it with no hesitation. Especially if I was doing chemo and anti nausea meds didn't help. Same with glaucoma. And I've never done an illegal drug in my life. It's probably safer than some of the big pharmacy poisons being prescribed. I've never taken a puff off of a cigarette so I'd have to cook with it or make capsules I suppose. It's still illegal in Indiana and only with a prescription in Ohio. I've heard those prescriptions are very hard to come by here.  :shrug:

My DIL just started using CBD. She has terrible rheumatoid arthritis. Her hands are starting to show signs of being misshapen. She has been on prednisone for years. She really wants to be off of it but the pain is too great when she is. She found a place online that her friend recommended to her that 'supposedly' sells the good quality cream so she is trying it. I looked them up and they have brick and mortar store about 15 min. from me. I'm going to check them out for my neck. Even my grocery store sells CBD products now. You have to watch out though because some of it is fake. And it's expensive too.  :(

Mt.Rider, sorry you are still so sick. This is bound to leave you weak for awhile after it's gone. Take it slow when you feel better so you don't have a setback. I hear ya about choosing your battles with your doctor. They hold a lot of power. And can have cold hands...  :P

• Like 2