MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oops!

That is actually a small one.   DH works on ones and you drive past them thinking they are office complexes or hospitals, but they are ships taller than any building in the area.  

• Like 2

I just came here to talk about this. There goes prices and shortages again.

Last night I went online to order some pillows for the other house. I only have one over there and it isn't new. Actually it's petty flat. I figured I'd order four of those My Pillow ones for a number of reasons. I need some, I heard they were pretty good, they are on sail BOGO and I don't mind supporting Mike Lindell. Did I mention they are on sale! Lowest price ever.

Anyway, he has a notice on his site saying they can't ship for 3-4 weeks because of a shortage of...foam.

It says: "Due to a nationwide foam shortage, including our patented foam, our manufacturing is extremely delayed. If you order a MyPillow, please allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Amazon has them in stock but not for the $29.98 sale price. I'm tempted to go ahead and order them and wait. I don't need them right away anyway.  Amazon's two day shipping has me spoiled. I'm learning patience though. Sort of. 

I'm to the point now where if I know I'm going to need something I'm going ahead and order it. Prices and shortages are only going up. I said I was going to use my stimulus check for prepping  so that's where I'll start. I still want a bread machine and grain grinder. I'm going to pick up two more Berkey filters too. Indy house has well water so it's quite possible I'll be using it even if there isn't any type of water crisis. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Last night I went online to order some pillows for the other house. I only have one over there and it isn't new. Actually it's petty flat. I figured I'd order four of those My Pillow ones for a number of reasons. I need some, I heard they were pretty good, they are on sail BOGO and I don't mind supporting Mike Lindell. Did I mention they are on sale! Lowest price ever.

I just got one a month or so ago. Yep, it's pretty good! The website will help you choose which firmness to order based on info you give it for sleeping style, etc. It comes all rolled up and wrapped in plastic in a relatively "small" box. Once you set it "free" it expands into a full size pillow! You'll need to put it in the dryer for a little bit before first using it. (Not sure why, but those are the instructions) I think you'll be happy once you actually get it. 

https://www.mypillow.com/classic-mypillow-50-pct-off.html

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on the pillows Midnightmom! I didn't know they came compressed down like that. All the better to store them away and save space. 

With the addition of the pillows and a couple more blankets, I think my linen closet and grandson's linen closet will be be prepped for a pretty long time. G'son doesn't really have his own linen closet. Just extra bedding in what will be his room. Still need a bed in there. 

• Like 2

I'd like to know what all is waiting on that cargo ship. Plus all of the other ships stuck behind and in front of it. That thing is massive. Hope nothing that spoils is on it. 

On a positive note...at least it hasn't sunk. :sigh:

• Like 3

March 25, 2021, 8:18 AM PDT
By Yasmine Salam

International efforts to dislodge the skyscraper-sized cargo ship blocking Egypt’s Suez Canal intensified but made little progress Thursday as the maritime traffic jam wreaked havoc on global trade.

Egyptian authorities said navigation was still “temporarily suspended” after the container got stuck sideways across the canal due to a severe dust storm and poor visibility.

That meant traffic remained at a standstill on a route that accounts for roughly 12 percent of global trade as the shipping saga passed the 48-hour mark.

Peter Berdowski, CEO of Dutch company Boskalis, one of the maritime service providers currently trying to free the ship, said the rescue mission was far from straight forward.

“It is like an enormous beached whale. It's an enormous weight on the sand,” he said, speaking to Dutch TV.

“We might have to work with a combination of reducing the weight by removing containers, oil and water from the ship, tug boats and dredging of sand.”

"We can't exclude it might take weeks, depending on the situation," he added.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/egypt-s-suez-canal-still-blocked-huge-ship-leaves-global-n1262038

Here is a screenshot showing all of the shipping that is unable to move through the canal (from the video in the article).

stuck.thumb.jpg.849747625c2df7c6eaa34b31e61ca049.jpg

Canal service provider Leth Agencies said at least 150 ships were waiting for the Ever Given to be cleared, including vessels near Port Said on the Mediterranean Sea, Port Suez on the Red Sea and those already stuck in the canal system on Egypt’s Great Bitter Lake.

Cargo ships already behind the Ever Given in the canal will be reversed south back to Port Suez to free the channel, Leth Agencies said. Authorities hope to do the same to the Ever Given when they can free it.

But many more ships already are en route to the canal.

Using data from Automatic Identification System trackers on ships at sea, data firm Refinitiv shared an analysis with the AP showing over 300 ships remained on the way to the waterway over the next two weeks. Some vessels could still change course, but the crush of ships listing the Suez Canal as their destination shows an even-greater backlog looms for shippers already under pressure amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“Blocking something like the Suez Canal really sets in motion a number of dominos toppling each other over,” said Lars Jensen, chief executive of Denmark-based SeaIntelligence Consulting. “The effect is not only going to be the simple, immediate one with cargo being delayed over the next few weeks, but will actually have repercussions several months down the line for the supply chain.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/stuck-ship-in-egypts-suez-canal-imperils-shipping-worldwide/2021/03/24/1ae259cc-8d17-11eb-a33e-da28941cb9ac_story.html

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Here is an interesting tidbit of information concerning the Suez Canal. 

Speaking to the Dutch television program Nieuwsuur on Wednesday, Berdowski said that while the canal is 25 meters (82 feet) deep in the middle, it quickly gets shallow on either side. "It goes to 15 meters, to 11 meters, and then even less to the ends. The ship is 15.7 meters deep," he said, or nearly 52 feet.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/25/981128288/it-might-take-weeks-to-free-ship-stuck-in-suez-canal-salvage-company-says

Sounds to me like there needs to be some massive improvements and upgrades to the canal itself. :puzzledsmile:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1

It is very common to move ships through spaces narrower than they are long.  The helmsman was just really awful in this case.  The canal is notoriously difficult and it is common to hire someone just to drive through it.   

Here are two carriers docking locally that are roughly the same size as the cargo container.

fd3bc43e4a454d34d3f48fad8009f3ce.jpg.c655fce485d26530b6f988abafc4e839.jpg9acb38b65cd5c6df8e18a8aa865967a1.jpg.eb054ddb01b21e06896f2d63b3e41135.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

The helmsman was just really awful in this case.  The canal is notoriously difficult and it is common to hire someone just to drive through it.   

The articles all say it was a combo of high winds and blowing sand (low visibility). :(

• Like 2

I'm sure there are lots of reasons he ran around.  Historically, that has always been a difficult area and people hire helmsmen with suez experience specifically for it.  Boats of this size use a nav system where everything is by sonar/computer as well as a full visual of the area.   My DH (designs, maintains, and fixes large ships for a living) says high winds alone wouldn't have done this there had to be negligence.  Our next door neighbor who does similar for commercial ships feels the same way and they were discussing it last night.   I feel bad for the crew and I'm super glad I am not one of them.      

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You know, if I were more suspicious or into conspiracy theories.......  I might be tempted to wonder if they purposefully blocked the canal for 'other' reasons......:whistling:   :hidingsmile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Mother said:

You know, if I were more suspicious or into conspiracy theories.......  I might be tempted to wonder if they purposefully blocked the canal for 'other' reasons......:whistling:   :hidingsmile:

That must have been some gust of wind to blow that massive heavy laden vessel sideways and not harm or ground any of the smaller ships. Alrighty then.  :sheeple:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I'm sure there are lots of reasons he ran around.  Historically, that has always been a difficult area and people hire helmsmen with suez experience specifically for it.  Boats of this size use a nav system where everything is by sonar/computer as well as a full visual of the area.   My DH (designs, maintains, and fixes large ships for a living) says high winds alone wouldn't have done this there had to be negligence.  Our next door neighbor who does similar for commercial ships feels the same way and they were discussing it last night.   I feel bad for the crew and I'm super glad I am not one of them.      

Thank you for those insights euphrasyne. The depth of knowledge, experience, and real world information possessed by the members of this forum is astonishing! For the most part, I would believe what I've read in here over what has been "released" to the world via the MSM.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Homesteader said:

On my worst days when everything seems to be falling apart, I can be thankful that I'm not a helmsman. 

Amen to that, sistah!  :amen: 

I was just reminiscing about some times we had in our kayaking program.  Water/wind can be tricky and change up in an instant.  But.....we were dealing with minuscule craft.  Small Craft Advisories .....we'd take cover way before that would even be issued.   But there was that one morning when no advisories were given and all of the sudden......  :runcirclsmiley2: 9 foot face on the waves.  Half the time, while in the trough, we could not see Maui.  The top of Haleakala is 10, 000' .....disappeared; reappeared; disappeared.....as we rode those waves.  'Course with kayaks, there was only 1/4" of "Tupperware plastic" between your rear and the ocean. 

MtRider  .....obviously we all managed to survive that event.  :amen: 

Jeepers, I have the my pillows. We love them. I have been thinking about buying a couple of more as mine are old.  I love that you can just throw them in washer and dryer when you need to.  I have my eye on the mattress topper right now. 

I saw this about the ship and heard it could take weeks before they can get it moved out.  There are over 50 or more ships there trying to get in and are stuck there and can't get through.  Yep! shortage may be coming again because of this.  

euphrasyne, I like the pictures above.  Gives a good picture of what those ships are like. 

• Like 1