MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Got my running around done today. 
Worked in the building at the flea market trying to get ready. Have soaps/lotions mostly set, so worked behind my table trying to get things cleaned up and reorganized. :sigh: Not so easy. I work with my mom and she is totally unorganized and cluttered. We used to have separate areas at opposite ends of the building, but a few years ago we thought putting our work area in the middle would be better to keep one in the checkout area (mom) and one moving around for helping customers and *security* (me). And I thought maybe I could help her keep *her* area a bit more tidy.... nope. So we kinda each have our own side of the same space. Frustrating. 

Not sure what’s going on for tomorrow. Maybe fishing. We’ll see. DH seems to be looking for excuses. 🤷‍♀️ But I’ve thought that before and we ended up going. Go or not, it is what it is. I have plenty to do around here. 

I’m in an odd mood. Almost jittery. Like waiting for... something. Very uneasy feeling. Hopefully it’s gone tomorrow. 

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Went through more boxes early this morning. Then walked around the yard trying to figure out how much mulch I would need. Was going to have it delivered to house but for 70 bags of mulch they want $149 in shipping. Nope not going to happen. So will have to make several trips to buy it. and pick it up. I don't have a truck and can't put that much mulch in my car. Might could do 20 bags at a time. It is on sale till the 17th at $2.00 a bag. So will need to just drive to Lowe's in hope's my knee holds out or maybe wait till GS is off work and can drive me there to pick it up. Might be easier to wait for him to help me. Or I can just order from somewhere and have a dump truck load delivered but that is harder on me to handle. As they say decisions, decisions.  I still have time to think about the best way to do it. 

It's nice outside today so might go out and do some weeding as best I can for now. But really wanted the mulch here and on the ready as I cleaned out each flower bed, I could put down the preen and then the mulch as each section is done and ready for mulch. But might not happen that way. 

• Like 1

Our nurseries deliver mulch by the truck loads too. Most people around here have it delivered in their driveway and use their wheelbarrow to take it where they want it. If they can't do it all in one day, they just cover it with a tarp for the couple of days it might take them. Being sure to check the weather report first. 

• Like 1

Well...I "trot nicely".  Who knew!  LOL

I went to the post office today to mail off my tax checks. I go inside to mail important stuff. I also wanted them post marked.

A guy was coming out as I was getting ready to go in. Have you ever been in that situation where someone was holding the door for you but you were still too far away and you wish they would just let the door shut because it was going to take you a minute to get up to the door? That's what happened to me. So there he stood holding open the door and I wasn't close enough to go through. So, I hurried up and started running a little bit. He told me to not worry and don't hurry, it's fine. But I was already in second gear by then. I got next to him and he said, "You trot nicely." Well dang, that's a first! I said thank you and gave a little curtsy. :008Laughing:

I've been smiling the rest of the day. Little things like that can sure brighten a person's day. 

At least he didn't say gallop. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Jeepers, he made your day.  Good to know we still have good people in this world.  

Didn't get some of the things done I thought I would. Didn't make it to Lowes for mulch. 

Jeepers, my DH and I used to get mulch that way, but now with my shoulder and arm, trying to shovel mulch into a wheel barrel and then roll it to the front of the house just isn't an option for me anymore.  GS's days off are so he never knows what day he will be off anymore. It varies from week to week and when he is off on a rainy day, it messes up his plans to work on wood pile or to help me move things from house to shed.  Plus waiting till he has a day off isn't getting things done fast enough. So, I am just trying to get it done myself in between his days off.  Still looking for a yard man that will do all the yard work and not just cutting and edging the yard. I am getting to a point it is getting harder and harder for me to keep up with the yard and the house. Last thing I needed was a Bumb shoulder and knee. Just hope I don't make it any worse trying to do things I shouldn't be doing right now. 

I have several boxes ready to go to Goodwill. So, hoping I can get them out of here tomorrow before the rain starts.  Once I catch up on the flower beds and house, I will start putting in the raised beds. I am still getting my plans together for the layout. Learned that if I put some rolled wired fencing on the ground and then put the raised beds on top of that it will keep critters from digging under. Not sure if that is true but might think about it. Need to check that out more.  Going to put plastic down under each bed and I have river rock around my patio that I am going to move and put around the raised beds to help keep weeds down from around the beds. So, might be putting some fencing down on top of the plastic will help hold the rock also. Still in planning mode but I know where they will go. Been watching the sun on that area to see how much sun I would get there. I think it will be the perfect spot-on other side of my garden shed. 

• Like 4

Sorry your knee and shoulder are still hurting you. But seriously, ask your GSIL to help you with your yard work for babysitting for them! Favors work both ways. Or even ask your GD. You can watch the baby while she does some yard work.    :hug3:

• Like 5

Jeepers, my GD has offered to help, and I have asked but they seem to always be busy with something and no help. A time is coming when they are going to need help and I am going to have to say no.  It's their choice.  Seems this family is in its own little world and no time to help family. But I am going to ask again but also, they are going to be moving probably in the next month. The inspection is on Friday, and they want me to babysit. So, another day of not getting things done in house. And I know what is coming when the time comes to pack up and move and then the unpacking. I will be babysitting a lot and just getting further and further behind getting this house back together. All this should have been done and finished a year ago. Not going another year with not being able to get this house back together, finish the painting and getting it back like I want it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Went fishing this morning. (Will start a post.)

Then went to local hunting/fishing store and got DS1 a new reel for his birthday (in May). Also got myself a new rod/reel. :buttercup: My excuse is that it’s a late birthday present to myself. :wink(2): lol 

Got home and sorted through and organized tackle boxes and rigged new pole and redid a couple others. 

Pretty lazy day overall. Was nice just sitting around outside piddling around all day. 

Supposed to start raining overnight and for the next two days. So back to trying to get stuff done inside. DGD(13) has a track meet tomorrow... I’m thinking it will probably be canceled/postponed. :sigh:

Necie

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

"You trot nicely."

Sheeesh, here I thot you'd gotten up on a horse.  :lol:  

I will be riding on Saturday.  They contacted me this time.  Things are warming up, despite snow drifts up here.  Most snow is gone.  But we also snowed a bit a couple days ago.  :shrug: 

I'm not sure if I'm well or not.  But again the stimulation of the Bible Study was too much for me.  OTOH...we filled 2 banquet tables end to end - and squeezed more in. A lot of voices tho not all talking at once.   It's only the second meeting of this session so usually people drop off or miss here and there.  I missed the first one due to ear hissing thing.  But today was rough too. "Hot flash" in the middle and freezing later.  Hmph.  

Came home/ate sandwich/went to bed.  Nap and then read Kindle.  Called mom and talked.  Then got up and took dog down steep hill from cabin to pasture below.  Walked around with her sniffing every square inch.  But was very glad DH waited for us with car after he was done with the ducks/goose.  I'm not sure I could have climbed the driveway. ...which I do frequently.  Just. Don't. Have. It! 

I was FREEZING when I got home from Bible Study.  It was a nice sunny day.  :scratchhead:   I've begun to wonder if I'm experiencing a circulation problem after all?    I probably need to check why my legs turn pink and veins turn purple when standing for like...shower.  Quite bright.  It's kinda new in my various symptoms. 

So...I'm trying to get to bed earlier.  So far the past couple days have been better.  Not 3am.  Trying to hit midnight.  Sometimes....yes...

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Sad 5

Mt. Rider, I do hope and pray you will feel better soon. That hot and cold could also mean a fever. But other things as well. When that happens again, check to see if you are running a fever.  I hope the riding goes well for you. I know it does help. 

So far, no rain, but looking a bit rough right now. Sun is trying to come out. Working on bedroom closet and cleaning it up and mopping the floor. Trying to figure out a better way to organize my vits. etc. Not the easiest thing to do. I think it is worse than organizing the spices. Will put that aside for now till I finish going through and swapping out winter and summer clothes. Then I will go back to working on that. 

• Like 2
On 4/10/2024 at 9:49 AM, Littlesister said:

Might could do 20 bags at a time. It is on sale till the 17th at $2.00 a bag. So will need to just drive to Lowe's in hope's my knee holds out or maybe wait till GS is off work and can drive me there to pick it up.

Can you do a short term rental on a pickup from Lowe's to get it all home at one time?

I'm pretty sure you can rent one at Home Depot so I was wondering if Lowe's has the same option.

• Like 2

I'm taking it slow today. I'm tired from canning. Still have carrots to do this week. 

Yesterday the pharmacy texted me that one my meds was in. Press 1 if I want it refilled. I did. So when I went to get it, they said I had to press 1 if I want it refilled. I showed her on my phone that I did do that. She said it would be about 15 minutes to fill it. (Then why did you text me it was ready...I thought). I told her I'd wait. Ten minutes later she said my insurance won't cover it until tomorrow, which is now today. So I went over and got it today. My insurance won't cover anything even one day early. Anyway, I'm not going to go try to pick up anything until one day after a text from them from now on. 

I stopped in at the Dollar Tree. I needed some containers. I know they are cheap but I only need them for awhile. I got a couple of pitchers to keep extra canning jar rings in. They are bigger than a bowl and taller to hold more. I think they will work out better. 

Then I saw some seeds. I wasn't really tempted by Dollar Tree seeds but figured I'd get some cheap herbs or flowers or something. Well, the seeds were 4/$1.00. They had all kinds of veggie seeds that are all Heirloom. Only thing I couldn't find were beets. They were pretty picked over. Wish I had known about them sooner. I looked at my local nursery store seeds last week and they are up close to $3.00 a pack. I'm trying to save money since that awful tax bill. I might have made a mistake buying them but for 25c a pack I figured I'd chance it. I got 40. Hopefully they will keep for another year. 

Then I remembered about JoAnn fabrics having a Bolt Sale. Save 15% on a bolt of fabric. I plan to start quilting again next winter and I use a lot of black and cream colors. Especially black.

But there is a catch to the sale;

1. They don't have any new bolts in the stock room. Everything is out on display. I was hoping for a new plastic wrapped bolt of fabric.

2. They don't order new bolts for customers.

3. You have to find a bolt on the shelf that has to have atleast 8 yards on it. That is what they consider a bolt.

4. After the 8 yards, you have to take the rest of the material left on the bolt to get the 15% off.

I almost walked out. But I will need the black. And it's on sale...in a round about way. I found some cream with 9 yards left. Got it. They only had one rather large bolt of black. She measured it out. 15 yards:0327:. It's either all or nothing. I asked her how much per yard with the 15% discount. She said I'd get an extra discount by buying all of it. So, $4.35 a yard. Sold! I have enough black 100% black cotton material to make all the quilts I want plus make some curtains if I want with a whole lot left over. My favorite color is black so I'm good to go. Still a little miffed about the rules at Joann's. I felt like it was akin to false advertising. I put it on the charge card so I'll get 2% back. :D

• Like 5

Pretty boring day, which was good by me. Crocheted this morning. Worked in the kitchen a bit this afternoon. I actually finally got to cross something off my *to do* list— cleaned out the fridge. Crocheted some more this evening. 

Rained all day. More tomorrow. Yuck.

Necie

• Like 6

We have been really busy, lately. Still walking, of course. We adopted a Chihuahua/ Feist male dog, yesterday. From a shelter in Brookhaven. Looks a little like Oreo, but much smaller and wonderful disposition!
Still intend to spray weeds this afternoon. That will take a while!

• Like 4

Congrats on the new furbaby Miki!

Just finished work, and I had my pecan trees and apple tree arrive today so now I need to go figure out where to dig holes this weekend :happy0203: I have 5 blueberry bushes in pots to plant (they can wait if needed), a nanking cherry bush, 2 pecan trees and 1 apple tree to plant this weekend. I checked and my peas are growing :hapydancsmil: and my grape vine is starting to put on some growth too. Super happy about that. Seedlings are coming along nicely in the basement under the grow lights too. Tomorrow taking my mom to meet my quilt guild

• Like 3

I was beginning to wonder, Miki.  Hadn't given your daily update.  New dog will do it!  How does Aninja get along? 

I may be crazy....but I'm signing DH and I (since he has to drive me anyway) for a CERT training coming up soon.  Between now and when we leave for Maui.  DH thinks it's an energy drain.  I think I want to meet some local folks who are into disasters.....  well, you all know what I mean.   No volunteer commitments.  That would be another level up.  Which means I ...maybe both of us....already know this stuff.  Maybe. 

Let's see: 

I've been in minor earthquakes in Iowa, Hawai'i, Colorado and Georgia.  I've been in..mostly near... tornadoes too numerous to count.   Flooding events that blocked roads in Iowa, CO, little bit Maui (tho I drove thru that....but it wasn't good.)  :blink:   Gigantic wildfires, of course.  Huge snow accumulation.  With or without blizzard conditions.  Electrical storms and outages.  One hurricane - Maui.  Have has local landslides reroute traffic.  I was on a school bus in the middle of a huge 60's riot.  I have been on the scene or in charge when others had injuries.  I've had (minor) injuries to self-treat.

Sheeesh!  No one is gonna want to live near me.  :lol:  OTOH....everyone here has stories too.  Otherwise, what would draw you to this forum board?  But none of these really scream PREPPER, right?  :behindsofa:   Cuz that's not something I'd reveal in this era.....not with folks outside an inner circle.  

In THIS era, however, I can see why some watchful folks are getting a bit edgy.  Seems like disasters are everywhere.  Some of that is the effect of constant media reporting. 

MtRider  ...

• Like 3

Congratulations on your new pup Miki. 

Got my next-door neighbor out of house this morning and we went to an antique furniture store. She has antique Furniture in a house that they had in Florida and wants to sell it but didn't have any idea what type of prices to put on it. So that helped her with pricing but needs to get it back to VA from Florida. Then we went to lunch. And Jeepers, you are a rat. All that Amish furniture and especially that one you have that is the bookcase with the glass doors. Well, when I saw your pictures of house and saw that, I said that would be perfect for my CD's and DVDs to keep the dust off of them. That furniture store has 2 of them and one now has my name on it. Yep, they had a lot of Amish furniture. My DGD and her DH are coming in the morning with truck to go pick it up and then going to help me get the Christmas things in shed up in the loft. And get the mulch. So finally, I am getting help, and they are the ones that offered. And nope I was not turning down that help.  Kept the baby this afternoon so they could go do the house inspection. Everything went well other than an old oil tank in back that has to be removed. About $600, so the owners will do that, and they now are the proud owners of a new house.  

Talked with my DD a bit and she lost her pet Opossum this morning. So poor Leo was laid to rest. He was a non-release Opossum she had for 3 years. She still has the squirrel. 

So, nothing got done in the house today. But tomorrow will make up for it. Just getting the help with mulch and putting away the Christmas boxes and now the trip to furniture store, I will be in good shape. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Becca-Anne is becoming a regular farmer.  Color her thumb green => :thumbs:

LOL Littlesister. Just pass the cheese. Glad to enable...er uh, I mean be of some help.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jeepers, I never thought I would find something like that for my CD's and DVDs. I like this one because the 3 doors open from bottom to top and then slides in, so you don't have to hold them open when putting things on the shelves. they have 2 of them but they are different. So, need to see which one I want. I have always loved the Amish furniture but nowhere to find any. Never thought I would find it in that furniture store. They have mostly antiques but a lot of new furniture also. 

• Like 2

My glass door fronts slide back to stay open too. They have a magnet on the bottom to keep them closed tight. I pull them out and up and slide them back so it doesn't look like there are doors on the front if you'd want to use it like an open bookcase. It sounds like the kind I have. I love Amish made furniture too. It lasts for generations. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, I think this had a magnet on the bottom also.  It will be great to not have to keep dusting all those CD's and DVD's. That is so time consuming. And will look a lot better than what I have now. 

Tomorrow will be a lot of running around to get things done and then Sunday afternoon will be canning hamburger. I got a total of 12 1lb packs in 2 trips. But I got it and that will make my hamburger quota for the year. Just waiting on a great price on Boston butts. But not in a hurry right now for that. 

• Like 3

Crocheted this morning. 
DH ran up to DG this morning to get milk cuz the grandkids are here for the weekend. One of the gals up there told him that Monday and Thursday this next week everything in the coolers/freezers will be 50% off. I’m going to check it out... not sure there’ll be anything I want, but figured I’d better get some room in the freezers in case there is. So I started pulling out gallon and 2 gallon bags of pablano and anaheim peppers, running them through the food processor to chop and canning them. Got one canner full done (27 half pints) and enough chopped to do another canner full on Sunday. And probably enough (maybe jalapeño) still in the freezer to pull out on Sunday for another batch on Monday or Tuesday. 
DS2 and DDIL got here with the grandkids about 6 and we had frozen pizza for dinner. Grandkids are staying til Sunday. They’ve been raising h€ll all evening and driving Grandpa nuts. :008Laughing:They finally just laid down and :faint3:they’re OUT!! They informed us that we’re going to the park tomorrow!! :lois: Works for me. I was thinking fishing, but it may be too windy. Today was absolutely BLUSTERY! 

Necie

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jeepers I'm trying, although after going outside and weeding tonight I'll have to be more careful and shorter sessions. Moved 3 blueberry pots to the place I want to dig the holes, planted the nanking cherry bushes in pots because I realized I had 3 not 1 and I need to rethink the location I wanted to put them. They get bigger than I thought so I want to put them somewhere they won't be in DH's way when he mows. So instead of digging holes I was hand weeding and bent over for awhile and then my silly heart started to act up and I had a run of tachycardia and had to sit down so I wouldn't pass out. I was just grateful it calmed down and I didn't get a shock from my ICD. So that ended that for the evening. Tomorrow I'll get some cardboard and have my son dig my holes for the bigger trees. Need to get some wood chips too so I can make a protected mulched area around each tree.

• Like 3

Yeah....everyone (Becca Anne....Little Sister...etc )  needs to be cautious as we're getting into full spring and out doing things!  Give yourselves time to get winter muscles into shape again.  Other issues as well. 

I called a neighbor friend tonite.  She's been up here almost as long as we have, tho I knew the lady that lived there before her.  So many people have moved away.  I don't know half as many as we used to.  I rode my horse around and got to know many.  Now I don't do that - I pay to ride at a ranch.  I have a morning ride tomorrow.  ( I much prefer afternoons but.... I'll take what I can get) 

Anyway, she's willing to take care of the ducks and goose while we're on Maui next month.  She's coming over tomorrow evening to see how that goes.  Our weather is moderated enough to run water from hose to fill the bird's kiddy wading pool.  They're loving that...it is not that warm out!  :rolleyes:   Because it's a month from now, she can fit putting them out and then in before dark (when danger lurks more)  even if she's working full time and odd hours. 

She'd take on dog too but she's got 3 pits.  Her males vie for the attention of the female.  Ours is female and ...I don't think that would mix well.  So tho we have options for her, they are expensive options because we'll be gone almost 3 wks.  She'll cost more than one of our tickets to Maui.  DH did get a great deal on those tickets.  I hate to leave her that long but we have almost no options.  She's such an attention hog! 

I lost energy today....later found that I had not taken ANY of my pills today.  :o   That never happens.  We'll see how that goes.  :scratchhead:  Did take a short nap.  

MtRider   ...ya just never know what I'll forget these days....  :shrug: 

• Sad 3