MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Working on switching out summer and winter clothes this morning. Need to go through all the summer clothes now to see what fits and what doesn't. Getting ready to open all the windows in the house to air it out. But waiting for the sun to go around the side of house before opening the front windows.  Trying to see how long I can go before turning on the air conditioner. 

Went through more paperwork and will be paying bills later today.  Hoping my knee will hold out so I can go for at least a short walk this evening. 

• Like 2

It's difficult to get caught up and stay caught up this month.

I will walk in a bit.
Walk dogs.
Do laundry.
Maybe work on shed a little more.

New pup (Bo) is now starting to play with the cat. That is a major improvement! He has such a sweet demeanor!

Went to a musical program at the college Saturday eve with a friend. It was great!
Went to town with friend, yesterday and hit Aldi and Walmart and TSC.

• Like 5

Another eventful canning night. I started out canning carrots. I originally got 36 half pint jars. I canned them in Beefy Onion Soup Mix. They turned out nice so I went and bought a couple more bags. I ended up with 50 half pints. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but my canner holds 25 half pints. So in reality it was only two canner loads. 

Half way through I started feeling faint. I took my blood pressure and it was 80/58 heart rate 82. Sheesh. That's too low even for a normal person. I was fine before and about an hour later. I think it's from the POTS. The 'P' part of it AKA postural (posture). I had been standing at the kitchen sink for a couple of hours when it hit. Sad when we have to play our own doctor. The tilt table test would have probably helped with the diagnosis but...transportation issues. 

But I've decided that I'm going to can all I can this year, not only because of the economy, but I'm not sure how many more years I can do it. My hands and back and legs were killing me and nearly fainting every time I can food is getting harder and harder. Hopefully once I get what I want canned, I'll be able to keep it topped off. I hope.

Tomorrow I'm going to can another load of green beans. Then I'm going to top off my corn and peas. I think I have about 30 corns and 30 peas already done in Indiana. I eat a lot of vegetables. And I'll share with sons if they want. Only veggie left is beets. I want to pickle some later this summer.

Next will be chicken, beef and some pork cubes. And spaghetti sauce and salsa. Sigh. 

I'll round out the summer with a couple  of vats of soup. I can veggie soup and chicken veggie soup. And bean soup. Hopefully I can stay upright long enough. And have enough jars. 

• Sad 4

Jeepers, it sounds like you need an adjustment on your medication for the B/p.  

I had decided to can meat first to rebuild my meat supply due to the shortages and the prices going up all the time. Only buying what I can get on sale. I am up to 24 pts. of hamburger now plus the I think it was 12 pints of meat balls. I have about 50 or more pts of chicken and maybe 60 or a little more of beef.  Pork only about 27 jars and would like to build that up if I can find the Boston butts on sale at a good price. Will be spending most of the summer canning veggies and building that back up when the produce comes in. Hopefully in about a month or so. 

Worked on bedroom most of the day.  Sorted through clothes and shoes. Had a lot of shoes I can't wear any longer due to my bone spur and plantar fasciitis. All heading out to Goodwill or will just wait till I get the paper in the mail for Salvation Army. I can put that on front porch, and they pick up on a certain day. 

GS worked on the wood pile today and got another rack set up. Then he played with the neighbor's dog a bit and then we went to Lowe's to get mulch. Took 2 trips but we managed to get 25 bags. At $2.00 a bag, I couldn't pass that up. Just need to work on the flower beds. which won't be easy with my knee right now, but I need to get it done. 

Talked with my yard man today as he finally came and cut the grass. It was totally out of control. I really need to find someone new to take care of the yard that will do it all. I asked him why he didn't get the mulch for flower beds, and he said because I didn't get them cleaned out. I reminded him again that I was not physically able at this time to do it and that is why I wanted him to take over the job of doing the whole yard. Nope all he wants to do is weed eat and cut the grass. Nothing more. So here I am trying to get it done and still looking for a full-on yard man. 

• Like 4

You have a lot canned up! I'm not much of a meat eater but I'm going to be canning some up anyway. 

I want to do chicken chunks and pork chunks to use with dipping sauce. Mostly Bar-B-Q sauce. 

Glad you got your mulch. I just had my son call my lawn people too. It was so high and it's supposed to rain the next couple of days. They are here now. At least they came right away. What is it with these lawn care people. My last guy quit because I located two shrubs that he couldn't find. Big baby. Good riddance, he was too expensive anyway. My town doesn't play with over grown lawns. They post big neon green warning signs on your door.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Loooooong day today. And I missed yesterday. 

Yesterday, I canned 7 qts of soup. Then DH wanted to run to the bait store for swivels. Then we took the boat out for about an hour. Got home and canned another 7 qts of soup. 

Yesterday was nice... actually, hot. Got up to 77 and very little breeze. Today was nice— about 70, but very windy that felt chilly when it was cloudy. Rain coming in tonight and supposed to be cooler the rest of the week. 

Picked up DS1 this morning and went to the farm. Had to fill up my van on the way. $3.59/gallon... almost $60 to fill up. :faint3:At the farm, had DS fill the lawnmower and rotatiller with gas and load up the gas cans (3) so that I can get them filled. He also turned on the hot water heater in the house. I forgot the dishes and fridge parts that I brought home to wash and the gallon of hot water that I was going to bring to clean the fridge in the camper. I did get the hot water at Mom’s. So did get the fridge cleaned. Also sprayed the camper for wasps... there were 2 when I went in it. Took a small electric heater for chilly nights and a case of RK spring water. When we got done up around the house, I put a 15 gallon water tub that I usually use for potatoes when we dig them up in my backseat and we drove down the lane and up along the edge of a field to find a rock pile. Filled the tote with rocks to bring home and finish working on my flower bed on the backside of the house. I picked out the rocks and tossed them out to DS to put in the tote. Then we headed 45 minutes to a farm store to get some garden stuff. Stopped at McD’s—$20 for the 2 of us!! Then 30 minutes to DGD(13)‘s track meet. She was in 3 events... 800 relay (2nd), 400 dash (3rd), and 1600 relay (1st). It was a 4 school invite, so she did pretty good!! Didn’t get over til 8 and I still had to stop at Meijers and had a 1.5 hour drive home, so DX took DS1 home. 

Got celery at Meijers, so making/canning more soup tomorrow. 

Oh yeah... and I broke 2 fingernails today. :0327::008Laughing:

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

7D5EB11B-E394-4C96-855C-0B6AE2EF04D0.jpeg

• Like 7

Congrats to your GD on her track meet! I love it. 

That brings back so many good memories. My son was undefeated in the 400 dash in his conference and ran in the all state finals. He held his high schools high jump record for over 10 years. I think he jumped 6 foot 2 and a half. I can't member his fastest 400.  He also ran the final leg of the 400 relay. He was a sprinter not a miler. He was long legged but wasn't a fan of the hurdles. I was able to get most of it on video. Back then video cameras were fairly new and huge. Really huge. LOL. Later I transfered all the tapes on to a DVD. Yeah, I was that mom.  About a month ago he ran across it and showed his son and wife. I asked GS what he thought about it and he said, "Well grandma, you sure filmed a lot of sky and ground." I was new at it. Sheeesh. Thanks for noticing kid. 

Two years of Jr. High and four years of high school I was on a bleacher on the ground or in the car. Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball and then Track and Field. Every. Year. In-between he sang bass in the school choir. At the time I didn't realize just how good those memories would be. Thanks for the flash backs.  

• Like 6

I also have memories of my DD growing up. She was cheer leader in high school and was in the senior pageant. They did the roaring 20's theme. Yeah, try finding that type of clothing in the 80's. Had to make the dress. She still has that dress to this day. Found the beads and things they wore and even the type of hat they wore back then at yard sales. But it was all fun.  I have film of all that as well as other things she did. 

Necie, congratulations for your daughter. 

You have been busy with getting everything fixed up. 

Sitting here drinking coffee and trying to decide if I want to try cleaning out flower beds or work in the house again. I really do need a break from working in the house.  My yard man came by to cut the grass right as GS and I were leaving to head to Lowe's. I talked with him about the mulch and told since he didn't get the mulch, we were heading out to buy it. He said he didn't get it because I hadn't cleaned out the flower beds. And I reminded him that I was not physically able to do it and needed him to clean them out and put down mulch. What it really is he doesn't want to do it. So here I am. GS can't help today because he has both a doctor's appt. and working. So, no help today. But at least he got another wood stacker set up and ready for me to take what is left of the wood from this past winter and stack it on the small wood holder. I still need to finish stacking the new wood. Might do some of that today also. I can get up to 4-wheel barrels full done before I have to call it quits and take a break. GS will fuss at me when he sees what I did. But it has to be done and he only works on it on his days off. He leaves here at 2:00 to head to work and doesn't get home till midnight. They have been working him a lot lately. And he looks really tired. But at least he was off so I could get the sale on the mulch. Can't believe I got 25 bags on that second round. Might go back today for some more and then some other things I need while there. GS can get it out of the car for me tomorrow if I decide to get more. I can get someone to load it in the car for me. Will need a good car cleaning when this is over. I really miss the truck. But it is what it is. 

In a couple of weeks GS and I will be moving furniture around in the living room, dining room and Den. Not going to buy furniture right now due to economy. But can get the rooms set up like I want with the old furniture. SIL is bringing me a sewing table that he made, and I need to make room for it in dining room since that is going to be my sewing, craft and reading room. Just not fully set up till I get the China hutch sold. But that might be on hold for a while. 

Jeepers, I can a lot of veggies, soups and stews but being a diabetic, I have to eat a lot of protein. So that is why I can so much meat now. Back in the day I didn't can as much meat. I make chicken salad and other things as well. Sometimes I will use the canned beef for my veg. beef soup. It's one of the ways I keep it rotated. 

Edited by Littlesister
the enter button is right where the save button is on this computer. Guess what I did again.
  • Like 4

At last! An at home day!
Will walk soon and take Bo with me. He went with me yesterday and did fine. Got to meet several folks on the way. He will be socialized.
Later, laundry.
Work on shed.
I love at home days!

• Like 3

Miki, I'm glad Bo is working out so well for you. Getting him socialized and used to the neighborhood is a good thing. Bet he loves his walks.  :wub:

Littlesister, I get it about canning meat. I don't have any canned right now so I have to get on to that. I'm sort of just the opposit. My kidneys are getting worse so I have to limit my protein. It's just a good thing I'm not a big meat eater. I want to can a lot of soups too. But they are the hardest thing for me to can. It takes longer to make it and I can in pints so I can't fit as many in the canner. So I put it off. :blush:

• Like 4

That is true about the kidneys and protein. You can only take in so much of it with kidney issues. 

Miki, glad Bo is doing great. Sounds like she's going to fit in really well. 

Got 2 of the flower beds cleaned out and then took the 3 bags of topsoil I had to fill in some holes in the yard.  Was hoping to get a third one done but knee and shoulder said not today. But tomorrow is another day. Since my yard guy didn't step up to the plate, I have to get it done. But once done he will not be cutting my yard next year. I need someone that is willing to do the whole yard not just someone wanting to cut grass and nothing else. 

• Like 4

Thanks for asking OOTO. :hug3:

We did have some pretty bad storms roll through with some hail and high winds. We were in a tornado warning for most of the day. It has finally been lifted. No damage here so far. Supposed to be rainy tomorrow. 

I think its heading north east of me so I hope it isn't heading your way! 

• Like 5

Glad you didn't get the really bad weather Jeepers. You don't need tornados running through the neighborhood. 

I am beat tonight. I knew my shoulder and knee would act up after doing all the yard work. But I will just have to muddle through it. It has to be done. Did some work in house this afternoon after working on the flower beds. I think I have chewed off more than I can handle, but it will get done at some point. Then maybe I can sit back and enjoy it all.

It tried to rain here a little while ago but was just a few drops and stopped. So, if we don't get any rain tonight, will work in yard again tomorrow if I'm able to move. 

• Like 5

Took the day *off* today. Well, sat and crocheted all day. I can’t stand to do nothing. But it was a lazy day. Didn’t even get dressed and never went outside. It rained and stormed most of the day. Some days that makes me lazy and others it gives me energy... today was lazy. 
Planning to get back to work on the soup tomorrow. 

• Like 6

Littlesister hope you feel better soon. I can empathize with the aches and pains feeling my age lately lots of fibro flares because I keep overdoing it.

Miki sounds like your new dog is adjusting well :wub:

Jeepers glad you stayed safe from the storm. It poured here for a bit but we escaped the worst of it. Saw some footage near my hometown in IA and that looked fierce.

Necie glad you had a chance to relax and crochet. I found my crochet hook bag the other day I had been looking for it. I had one hook but just the big afghan one that I could find and it was driving me nuts that I didn't know what I'd done with the rest. 

Today after work I reorganized our bedroom and put it back the way it was before, only angled the loveseat instead of putting it straight in the bay window, and made room for a small desk. My DH put the air conditioner in. I got my computer workstation set up and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Everything that doesn't belong in there is now out of the room except one suitcase which will go back in the closet under the stairs when I tackle that area soon. Ordered a chair. Hopefully this will help me when I need to have a quieter place to focus. It felt so good to get our bedroom back in order it's been a mess since we moved everyone around. 

• Like 7

This week,  I've been cleaning, chasing toddler, and reading.  Not much else done.  I did clean out the fridge an old stuff and then I cleaned out the main pantry--the one that holds the daily stuff. (my use by dates are not what is on the package, so this was a serious clean out with occasional taste testing or smelling) I threw away 3 packages of pretzels.  Each package was a different type and we ate them voraciously during the pandemic when everyone was home.  No one has touched them in YEARS.  It was a waste, but freeing up the space from the now stale pretzels was better than keeping them.  It is a lesson.  Don't stock up thinking 'this is it we will eat it graciously.'   Tastes change, people change, and foods go bad.  If you cannot eat it or trade it, don't stock it longer than you can eat it.  Shedding the unnecessary and unusable is a blessing.  That is truly hard thought for me, but I am trying to get it into rotation.  I am a keep it till forever until it is useful person, but sometimes keeping it forever is more energy than it is worth.  #life lessons  My garage needs this attention, but I do not have the energy yet,  Neiborhood garage sale is this weekend, but I will wait for the fall garage sale.  I do not have the energy to deal with it now.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 7

I stopped doing garage sales a long time ago. People would come and steal it, so I gave up. And when my DD had a yard sale you should have seen the fights over old pillows. Have to say it was funny but stupid.  Many people around here said they quit having yard sales because of the theft. Hope that has gotten better by now. 

Usually, I will give things to people that need it or donate it. But thinking about one for pictures I have stacked up and can't use and some knickknacks that I want to sell. Won't be till the fall though. Or I might take items to pawn shop. That will depend on what price they quote me for them. 

My shoulder and knee are a bit sore today but will do a bit of work outside after the sun goes around to side of house and off the front of house. Going to be a hot one today. Very sunny and 80*.  Though I still haven't had to turn on the air conditioner yet. Every year I hold out as long as I can. DH and I used to have a contest with both the electric and gas to see how low we could get the bill every spring and fall till we had to turn on one or the other.  The lowest we ever got was $10 on the gas and $17 on the electric. With all the increases over the years it will never be that low again.  But fun trying. So far, the house on days like today have been fairly cool and sometimes a bit cold but doable. 

Started working on clearing out the boxes in living room and getting things in their place. Then going to start moving furniture around to the different rooms I am changing up. Need to start washing windows and blinds soon also. But waiting till this messy pollen has stopped. It is slowing down a bit but still a lot of green on everything. My car turned green because of it a few weeks ago. I still need to finish cleaning it up but need to go buy more topsoil before I finish cleaning it out. I didn't have enough to finish filling the holes in yard where tree roots under the ground have rotted out. 

• Like 4

My heart monitor is off today and I sent it in:hapydancsmil:   It wasn't bad during the day but I alway kept waking up and checking it through the might to make sure it was still attached. It always was. Men wouldn't have that problem. Women...boobage. 

There was a sign in the post office that said we can't send any electronics to Europe, Sweden and Norway. But we could send computers, cell phones and something else. Can't remember the other thing. I thought computers and cell phones were electronics.  :shrug: 

I went to the local food bank and made a deposit. They were thankful to get it. It was frozen veggies that i over bought. They went to a good cause so I don't care.

Then off to get a pizza. I haven't had a good one since before I left the hotel. It will last me for supper and tomorrow's lunch. 

I'm taking tomorrow off but Monday I'm calling to see about getting some of my yard landscaped and about getting my chimney cap fixed. 

Oh and I forgot my car AC broke last fall. I need to see about getting that fixed. Not sure how without a ride.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 6

Jeepers, glad you were able to have that heart monitor over with. Now for waiting for results and I hope all goes well.   You could call and ask how long it will take and if they have someone that can take you back home and then pick you back up. Some places do have that option. Last time I needed a ride home, I was with my DH and a man from the fire department down the street from me was there and offered to take us home. That was really nice of him to do that. He was heading to the station and would have been passing my neighborhood, so it wasn't out of his way. My SIL took us to pick it up later that evening as he was off by then. 

GS was off today, and we worked on wood pile all day. Got a lot done. But still a long way to go. He still has to put the last two log holders in place using the cinder blocks and then we can hopefully have that all finished. We got what wood was left in house by the wood stove out of house and stacked all the wood from last year on the small wood holder. And got what was still left on porch on there as well. So, all the older wood is in one place to be used first. Put a good dent in the new wood. But there is still a lot more and GS thinks I might have to buy at least 2 more wood holders. But I am holding off to see for sure as I still have 2 and 1/2 wood holders left to fill up.  Getting my plans together for the raised beds. I have a list of what I need and checked to see what I already have for them. So hopefully will start on those as soon as the wood pile is done.  I think I have less than a cord left to stack. 

Getting things together for the front flower bed.  I found 2 cinder blocks so only need 2 more. Decided to use the wood from the old, raised bed boxes as they were falling apart. for the front flower bed. Just lay the flat boards across the cinder blocks and That will be set up for the pots. That will save some money by reusing those wood raised bed boards. I'm all for recycling stuff.  And they are weatherproof. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

Getting my plans together for the raised beds.

You could use some of that firewood in the bottoms of those raised beds to act as a sort of hugelkultur system and to help fill up the beds to utilize less soil.  Works well 

• Like 3

Littlesister there is a place, RadAir, a couple of miles from me and I'll see if they offer a ride. I don't mind staying there for a hour or two to wait. I can take a drink a the Kindle. They did give me a loaner once but it was a fluke that they had one. I might have to wait until I go back to Indy so DIL can give me a ride. I noticed today it was getting warm in the Jeep.  

That's a great idea Mother. I've heard that most people put wood and branches and leaves etc. in the bottom of their raised beds. Helps to fill them up so you don't have to add as much soil too. 

• Like 5

Wild weather tonight in the basement for the tornado warning. Need to practice more drills my family takes WAY too long to get down to the basement. All clear now. Still need to finish my tornado kit and pick up some chairs that can stay down all the time and won't get moldy. We have to bring down our current chairs and that's delaying everyone. Also hard for my 13 yr old to understand he needs to leave the cats and come down right away when I tell him to. We'll practice when we aren't in the middle of a real storm to see how long it takes and to improve our time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Well this was sort of a write-off day.  Couldn't settle.  :shrug:   It also started groupeling.  That small white snowballs that bounce when they land.  Melted right away.  Did get to schedule a horse ride for tomorrow - Friday.  Saturday will be nasty cold rain/snow.  I said yes!  Need ride! 

Trying to figure out how much I'll be willing to push with medical appts this year.  Scheduled yearly exam....didn't last year cuz we were focused on the Is It MS tests. I'll see primary doc after Maui.  Otherwise, don't think there are any issues. 

Hope your heart monitor time will give some useful data, Jeepers. 

You all are so busy with canning and organizing and such.  I'm still trying to dig out of this disarray.  I got some organizing but not much.  Not much energy recently. 

Uh oh.  DH just came in to announce:  Israel just sent bombs over to Iran's nuke facilities.  Usually they sabotage without fingerprints on the job.  Well, did they destroy it?  Dunno. 

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2