MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Got the pork canned. All 32 jars of them. 4 canner loads and I am beat. My feet hurt, my shoulder hurts and my hands hurt. Not going to stack wood today. I call it quits for the day. I cut up 5 Boston Butts. Just did have enough for the 4 canners full. 

Necie, I hope all goes well at the market and you are able to sell everything. 

DD, GD and I are going to the Bazaar in a couple of weeks. Don't know what I will find but will be fun. 

Going to sit down a read for a while. Been on my feet to long.

• Like 5

Didn’t get much done today. Was supposed to rain—didn’t. Then when it wasn’t supposed to—it did. So mostly just sat and crocheted while waiting for it to rain or to quit raining. 
Ran up this evening and got DGD(13). She’s spending the night and going to market with me tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. Mom’s still not feeling good and I talked her into staying home so she doesn’t overdo it and set herself back. So DGD will be a big help. She can handle the store if I have to go to the bathroom or anything and last year was even getting pretty good at sorting and pricing. And she LOVES to clean and organize!!! So if it’s slow, she’s perfectly happy dusting. :dusting:

DD is still in Europe. She’s been to Rome, Naples, Pompeii. Tomorrow is an island in Greece.

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

• Like 6

I would you travel like that. Greece is breathtakingly beautiful. All blue and white.  :sigh:

That was supposed to read" I would like to travel like that." I didn't catch it until the next day.  Sheeesh. 

Edited by Jeepers
Messed Up.
  • Like 3

Necie, glad your DD is having a good time visiting all those places. It is good that she has this opportunity to do it. 

Gave the kitchen a good cleaning this morning and got the pork put away. All 32 jars sealed. I am now good on chicken, pork, beef, turkey and hamburger. Plus, the other things that have meat in them.  All of that together will get me through at least 3 years without having to buy any meat at all. That was what I was working toward. I refuse to pay 30 plus dollars for a roast. And they are not even big ones. Steak is crazy here at $40 plus depending on the cut you get. That's not happening either. 

GS failed his test for the Coast Guard again. So having to wait another 30 days again. I knew he wasn't studying for it. This time he said he was going to pull out the book and study. No, he won't. The questions are timed and does not make since to him. So, he just guesses at the answers instead of trying to figure them out. I am trying to get him to talk with his sister's DH as he is in the Coast Guard and said he would help him. But he won't do it. It's called too lazy to bother.  He still has to get checked out for the kidney stone and that is the last of the 15 wavers that he had. He passed all of those so far. So just waiting for him to get in for the last one. But in the meantime, he best be studying for that test. As I might be giving him an ultimatum, Study for it or move out of my house.  Those are the two choices. Maybe that will give him the incentive to study. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

Study for it or move out of my house

Has he moved back in with you, LS?  It almost seems as if he is purposely failing the test.  Perhaps because he has it too good where he is.  You have been so strong.  Don’t fail now.  The only time he seems to learn the lessons is when you mean what you say and enforce it.  You deserve to live life as you want.  :bighug2:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mother, he is still living in his car in my driveway. He comes into shower, wash his clothes and eats dinner when he gets back from work only if I have cooked something and put leftovers in fridge for him. He will eat and then right back out to his car. Summer is also coming, and that car is going to get hot. But that is his problem. I am not budging and letting him sleep in the house. If he gets hot enough, then maybe he will open that book and study. He was like this in school also. So, nothing new. He just doesn't like to open a book and study. 

Got the pork labeled and put away. Will be a long while before I do anymore canning.  I will be canning squash when I can get it at the farm but still too early.  Not going to be a huge canning year for me this year. I still have a lot of veggies that I canned the past 2 years and I really need to just use down what I have. Then next year, I will resupply everything other than meat. I think I am good for a couple of years before I need to start resupplying that. 

There was still a lot of meat on the bones of the Boston Butts. I am cooking that in the slow cooker to get the rest of the meat off. With my hands it was hard to do, and my hands were giving out. So, cooking the meat off the bones and using that meat for dinner tonight. Not going to waste it. 

Might go out in a while to stack more wood. GS will be leaving for work in about an hour. No help from him today. But he will help on his next day off. He said they have inventory today so no truck. Yep, he reminded me that a lot of stores are going to be doing inventory now. 

• Like 5

You mean the ASVAB?  He can't get a 36 after multiple tries?

Edited by Ambergris

Ambergris, it is not that he can't pass it. He is in an all-fired hurry to get through it and doesn't use his brain. If he can't figure out the first question, then he just guesses at the answers for the rest.  Going to be a hot summer for him. He is not trying like he should. All I get is that he knows the answers and he will pass it. Hopefully the third time is a charm because we are going to have a talk about his car and my driveway. Not to mention it is called Salvation Army for showers and a laundry mat to wash his clothes. I am moving his book to the den and making sure he knows what that book is for. He best open it and study. 

Didn't go out to stack wood like I thought I was. Couldn't get motivated enough. After being on my feet all day yesterday canning pork, I guess I am still tired. So easy day today.  Tomorrow is another day. Will stack wood then. 

• Like 3

Doesn't sound like he wants to go. At least not bad enough. Wasn't he going to go in with a couple of other people last year and rent an apartment again? Is there a limit on how many times you can fail the test before they are no longer interested? 

I've been hearing the armed forces are begging for recruits right now. 

• Like 2

We had rain most of the day so I got the bills paid up to date. 

I called the yard company and they are coming out Friday to have a look see. I just want the basics to get something in front of the house other than weeds. Even if its just mulch. It will really help the appearance 100%. Curb appeal is in the minus zero as it is.

The construction company called. It's time to pay the piper. We are still missing some money from State Farm. She is going to contact them herself. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to pay any more. I did reassure her that I know I owe her money and that I will pay her because they did the work and deserve to be paid. I'll borrow from D-ex if I have to. He already told me I could. I'll pay him back when I sell the house. That's way out there Plan B. But better than a lien on the house. 

I spent the morning canning some store bought sauerkraut. It makes my son vomit. Literally. He orders reuben's with no sauerkraut. LOL. No one in my family will touch it but me. And I have to really limit it due to the high salt content. Every once in a blue moon I want some. I canned it in the little squatty half pint jars. Just enough for a couple of hot dogs or reubens for me. Or out of the jar. They were acidic enough to water bath them. I think they were a 3. I got 2 cases. 24 little jars. 

Then I spent a couple of hours in the spare bedroom going through more stuff. What a mess. I have a circular path in there now. My goat path. My limit is about 2 hours a day because of back pain, but mostly because after about 2 hours I start just walking around or staring at stuff. Kinda like when you are stuck on a puzzle and walk away and come back and see the answer. I got two bags of trash and 4 bags to donate. I'm almost (not quite) ready to have someone come in and just pack it all up and put it in the garage. But why spend all that money and just haul junk, that I may not want to another house only to get rid of it. I'm sick of stuff. Maybe I'm just lazy.  :sigh:

The weather is just starting to warm up here and I did notice it's getting warmer upstairs. Gonna need a fan for sleeping up here soon. I'll be so glad to get into one story living. 

• Like 5

Jeepers, you will get there.  We just aren't as fast as we used to be.  I need to get back into my bedroom and finish going through things. I already have 3 boxes to donate. Just haven't taken them there yet.  

GS won't rent an apartment again as he really doesn't pay his bills like he should. He lost the last apartment because he wouldn't listen to me or his mom about it being more than he can afford. Not to mention his credit sucks. But he is now trying to get his bills paid off. I also don't think the Coast Guard is going to like the fact that he has medical bills in collections. That might be one of the reasons he keeps failing his test but not sure about it. Though He is paying them now. One medical bill is halfway paid off now. And he is trying to get is credit card paid off and closed out.  

All I know is he best be studying for that test this time and not lie to me about studying. Otherwise, he might be parked in a Walmart parking lot to sleep.  I am getting to a point I am not going to be worrying about his safety sleeping in a store parking lot.

I'm bored tonight for some reason. Don't want to watch TV or read or anything else much. I think it is the fact the weather is changing and has been really nice outside and it is staying lighter longer now.  In another month it will be getting dark after 9pm. I can go for that. 

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Littlesister said:

He just doesn't like to open a book and study. 

I'll bet he could find study material online; possibly even as interactive sites or YT channels.

What is a good ASVAB score for Coast Guard?
Coast Guard ASVAB Test Prep | Detailed Scores & Job Requirements
In order to join the Coast Guard, you must achieve a minimum overall qualifying ASVAB score of 40 if you are a high school senior or have a high school diploma, and 50 if you are a GED holder.

Coast Guard ASVAB Practice Test

Take a sample Armed Services Vocation Aptitude Battery test for the Coast Guard. Begin with part one of our Coast Guard ASVAB sample test below:

ASVAB Test Part 1

Prepare for your career in the United States Coast Guard with the help of ASVAB Practice Test Online.

U.S. Coast Guard boat

Minimum Scores

If you have your high school diploma, or will have your diploma prior to enlisting in the Coast Guard. You will also need a qualifying Coast Guard ASVAB score. To qualify, you need a minimum score of 40 on the ASVAB. If you do not have your high school diploma but have a GED then a minimum score of 50 on the ASVAB is necessary. However, nearly all those who enlist in the Coast Guard have high school diplomas and the Coast Guard rarely makes exceptions. Therefore it is strongly recommended to complete your high school education before enlisting in the Coast Guard. The minimum score for high school graduates is also the highest of any of the armed service branches.

https://asvabpracticetestonline.com/coast-guard/

U.S Coast Guard ASVAB Tests

Prepare for the U.S Coast Guard recruitment process with tailor-made practice materials.

Home Tests by Employer Coast Guard ASVAB

Coast Guard ASVAB

star-reviewstar-reviewstar-reviewstar-reviewstar-review

|

60 tests 900 questions

Practice assessments and aptitude tests employers use to test candidates. Improve your chance of success! #1 Assessment practice platform of the world. Start your practice today.

Buy test package: https://www.assessment-training.com/coast-guard-asvab#improve-your-chances

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 4

MidnightMom, He has gone to the Coast Guard site where they have sample test but all he does is stare at them and not take the test.  But I will be having that talk with him. He best pass it the next time. 

• Like 2

A while back you posted that he had a "plan" for reaching an ultimate goal. I think he "thinks" he has a plan that he told you about, but methinks he doesn't have any plan other than playing on your love and sympathies. I wish you the best in getting him motivated, but you have to cut bait sometime. Sooner rather than later.

Some people have joined a gym so they have someplace to take a shower. Maybe you should suggest that to him as an alternative. Or, he can rent a space in a campsite so he can park his car to sleep in it, or buy a small tent to pitch on his lot, and use the camp's facilities for showers, etc. Some of them even have laundry facilities on site.

• Like 4

I remember him talking about his goals too. They were good ones. Lip service? 

One thing about the military though. You don't choose which career path you want to go in. They place you where they want to use you according to your ability. Which is the reason for the testing. You learn what they tell you to learn. And they will promise you the moon until you enlist. Recruiter promised DH a career path in Poli Sci. when he enlisted in the Air Force. He tested out to be a Chinese linguist for four long years. Ni Hao.  LOL.

Sorry, but if he can't pass the basic tests (they don't care why) he isn't going to be a marine biologist. I wouldn't necessarily tell him that though. He could use that as another excuse to not go in. 

I'm sure you are passed exasperated with him. He has yet to adult. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am going to show him that test above. Thank you, Midnight Mom, for that. I will be able to sit with him on my computer to see what he is doing. He said he was studying from his cell phone. For some reason that didn't hit me. test was not what he was doing but playing games.

I am going to be talking with him but need to hit him at the right moment.  He still has to get through one more waver and that is for his kidney stone. I know he will do fine on that.  He had his physic test. He passed with flying colors and don't ask me how. So, he does have a brain he just chooses not to use it. 

He wants to go in as a cook and then in 4 years move on to marine science. Unless he studies, he won't get into marine science. Though he does love to cook. So that might be what he does for the next 20 years if he can pass the test. 

Either way he best pass the test the next time which is in 30 days. Because he will be out of my house and on his own living in his car because I am not giving him anymore chances. If he wants to choose the hard way of growing up, then that is how it is going to be. 

He has come a long way from what he was about 3 years ago but still has a long way to go. He has learned to control his anger issues which is one of the reasons he sleeps in his car. This summer is going to be a hot one living in a car, but he has to learn, and that learning will be moving out of my driveway and finding another way to bath and wash clothes. I think he best pass that test this next go round. 

I forgot; he did graduate from high school, and he started college but dropped out. He found out he really has to study for that. 

Edited by Littlesister
school.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 4/29/2024 at 1:39 PM, Littlesister said:

My feet hurt, my shoulder hurts and my hands hurt. Not going to stack wood today.

:)  Gooood choice!  

Oye, trying to raise up the next couple generations!  I think you're on the right track with GrSon, Little Sister.  He has improved and seems to be responsible at his current work.  But it's "immediately do this or that and then go home to do what you want".  Delayed gratification doesn't seem worthwhile to him?  No patience to do something now for benefit later?  Lots of folks with that....but they don't do well until they learn it IS worthwhile.  Praying ... :pray: 

We had to get up early again (and again tomorrooooow!  )  Had to go in to go thru all the procedures to get the little card that authorizes a person to carry little metal bits in their pockets/purses/hip packs/or wherever.  And I don't mean coins.  I made sure my finger tips were nice and moist.  This was are second time around so I knew mine don't "impress" well.  Old, dried up person now.  :lol:  With all that's happened in the last couple years, this item lapsed and had to start over.  :rolleyes:   But we're official now again.  

But we had to get up so EARLY!  I hate mornings!  I could hardly function and tomorrow is the last Women's Bible Study which is even EARLIER!  So I'm gonna get off here and get Hawaiian done quick and get to bed! 

MtRider  ..stay alert folks  :pc_coffee:

• Like 4

Was up at 5am getting some things done in the house.  Going outside in a bit to stack wood. I am hoping to get a lot of that finished up today. GS still has the last rack to set up before I can stack wood on that one. But will fill up the one he finished last week. Need to move a ladder that is attached to the fence for storage. It is in the way of the last rack. I won't be using it so need to find it a new home. No, I won't be climbing up on the roof anymore.  Compliments of DH not having the balance to get up there anymore. 

GS is still asleep in car and the woodpile is right in front of it. Oh well, If I wake him up that would be a good thing and he can study that test. 

• Like 2

I sure hope that you can get your GS to study and pass that test @Littlesister.  That would be a load off you!

Bo and I walked earlier.
Paid bills.
Will walk Aninja in a few minutes.
Will take DH to town for pulmonology appt. this afternoon. Need to ask why he wants to put DH on an antibiotic that didn't work before. Not sure how this will go today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I am really tired now. But will be working in house for a while. Got a cord of wood stacked. So only one more to go. I don't think there is a full cord of wood left but it is close. Just need to wait for GS to set up the last rack.  

Jeepers, thank you for the prayers for GS and anyone else that has been praying for him. 

He does have a goal, but it has taken him forever to get that goal in place. If he would just study for that test and pass it, he would be on his way to a career. But he has to get out of his laziness and study. That is now where the issue is. Too much like school for him. But I will get that issue nipped in the bud soon. He still has one more waver to get done out of 15 of them. So, he has appointment with clinic for that. That one is the kidney stone issue that I thought they already checked him for but that one is the last one to get done. So, then all that is left is the test and he has to wait 30 days to take it again. 

I am taking a break, and then going to start going through things in the house again. I really need to switch out my winter and summer clothes soon. I am already digging in the dresser where my summer clothes are in another room. Too hot for long sleeves. 

• Like 2

Littlesister, maybe he isn't lazy. It sounds like he has ADHD or what ever the initials are. Sounds like he can't concentrate on reading and goes blank. Maybe he needs a "study buddy" to help him stay focused. In the end...it might not be his fault. 

It kills me to say that because I'm angry for your sake. And I'm tired of you being used by your grand kids. And it's easy to say he is lazy. I know, I've thought it too. :sEm_blush:  But in reality, maybe he really wants to but just can't. 

Maybe he is lazy. And maybe he isn't. :shrug:

I'm feeling generous in my opinions today.  :D

• Like 3

I had that thought too.   I wondered if his psych exam would have caught it?  

• Like 4

Yes, my GS and his oldest sister are both ADHD. Though now he is more on the ADD side of that now. He works really hard at work, but he is also more of a hands-on learner than a book learner. But he has to open that book and study for this test if he wants a career from this. His goals are good ones, but he needs to learn to work toward those goals and that means studying for the test.  I bought him that book for dummies over 6 months ago I think, and he has never opened it. He won't pass the test unless he studies. My GD's DH said he would help him, but he won't even do that. So, I am at a loss other than to give him the ultimatum. I am hoping and praying that will work. 

Found out this afternoon that my next-door neighbor is in the hospital. They took her straight from the doctor's office to ER and then to the hospital. Seems her painful leg was a blood clot. She couldn't walk yesterday. She's the one that just lost her DH about 3 months ago. Don't know how long she will be in there but our trip to Ollies and the secondhand stores are definably on hold for a while. 

GD texted me and wanted to come for a visit with the baby tomorrow and I think she said Friday also. Said she is bored. Don't know how that is since she needs to be packing up for the move on the 8th or 9th. It's right around the corner. But I think it is that the baby is cranky because another tooth is coming in and she is hurting. I have a way to calm that down. It's called sit her in highchair and give her a popsicle. It worked wonders for the first tooth that came in. 

I am beginning to think I need to just disappear for a couple of months as either way I won't get the house back together at this rate. Disappearing means no cell phone and no one knows where I went. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2