MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Mt Rider so glad you found it! And got things better organized that's a great feeling.

Miki glad Bo is ok with the bath even if he doesn't love it. Amber is still deciding what she thinks about baths.

Jeepers take it slow and steady with the canning don't want you to get hurt. One batch at a time seems like a good plan.

Littlesister sounds like you're making great progress!

Today my gooseberries and currants came so I got those planted. Still waiting on 3 more Nanking cherry bushes, and a plum tree. Planning on getting another one or two in the fall have to slow my roll or I'll be broke :grinning-smiley-044: I'm feeling really happy about how it's all shaping up. 

• Like 5

Mt. Rider, glad you found the charger. Those things are life savers. 

Jeepers, you are doing great with the canning.  What I do to stack the food is to put them back in the boxes the jars came in and then I stack the boxes one on top of the other one. But never more than one box on top of another one. If I don't do it that way, I won't have any shelf space. Never had an issue doing that. I have stacked some jars one on top of another with nothing or just using a piece of cardboard but still never had an issue. 

I didn't get anything done today. Was having muscle spasms in my upper arm all day. Wasn't pretty. I think I over did it yesterday. So, resting the arm and shoulder today. Tomorrow is another day. So will see how it goes on what I get done. Will be seeing the orthopedic doctor on Wednesday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Got the lotion made yesterday and wrapped some soap. 

Went to the farm today. Mom and DS1 were there and had brought a riding mower for DS to mow the yard. My uncle usually does it with the tractor and pull behind mower, but he’s had some health issues and is working on recovering.
Mom worked in the house cleaning and packing up some stuff that DSIS4 had taken off a couple of curios to take the curios to her building at the market. 
I worked in the camper and garden. Got the fridge put back together and turned on. It works!! :cele: Worked in the bedroom and got a power strip plugged in, little heater ready, and weather radio/clock/thermometer set up. There was a wet spot on the counter... found a leak!! 😡 Got the potatoes around that I brought home to plant in containers and a couple of each in my garden. Sprayed weed killer around the barnyard garden and the *patch* garden and got a start on the big garden. 
Mom had to leave early for a dr appt, so DS helped me pick some more rocks for my flower bed border. We had a confusing moment... when we started driving down the lane we could see ahead that there was a brush pile in the way. ?? So we went through a field to the bottom of the lane and there were limbs laying across the lane all the way going both ways. ??? DS thought maybe uncle. No... he’s been too tired and weak. We thought maybe another uncle that we’ve had problems with. Don’t make sense. He’s not supposed to be on the property, he’s too lazy, and it would block HIS access if he were coming in. Real head scratcher. :scratchhead: So we get the rocks and head back and I notice something looks different in a fence row— it’s being cleared. AHHHH... the farmer that leases our farm ground has been clearing it and he must’ve trimmed down the lane to get his bigger equipment through. Mystery solved! B)

So we get back to the house, lock everything up, and I took DS home and dropped some stuff off at the cabin. 
When I got home, I got the rocks placed... still need a few more. :sigh: Hopefully I can get them before the weeds and vines take over. Also filled a couple of bird feeders. I’m trying to attract woodpeckers, bluejays, cardinals, etc... so that they’ll chase off the d@mn sparrows that drive me nuts!! Seems to be working... a little. 

(pics of limbs in lane... both ways from the bottom. and the big lilac bush getting ready to bloom)

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

104EA9AC-0BB8-4A49-B74D-B98B49193C63.jpeg

ED9C1B39-EBE0-4B78-977B-D6D2EA7E002B.jpeg

EDD619D4-319C-4E0C-85D5-82CBF69413E1.jpeg

• Like 7

@Necie at first I thought maybe storm damage. I love to smell lilacs. 

Be careful attracting woodpeckers. They are the bane of my existence. They are very destructive. I have some in the woods behind my house. They tore up one panel of my wooden fence a couple of years ago. I finally had the fence removed. For the past 2 years they have torn up the wooden posts on my front porch. I repaired them with wood putty and painted them but they keep coming back. They did so much damage to one of the posts that I was afraid the post was going to break and bring the porch roof down. This year I had to have both posts replaced. $$$. I'm hoping and praying they don't come back until after I sell the house. One neighbor said they peck on his metal chimney driving them crazy. When they peck on your house it is VERY loud inside. They will tear up anything on your house if they become attracted to it. If you scare them away, they come right back. I had to sit on my front porch with a hose just to spray them off of the posts. They always come back. Pretty birds...until they fall in love with your house. Destructive creatures. :duck1: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I agree about the woodpeckers. They are very destructive. 

Pups and their baths. They either like them or they don't but will get used to it. 

Becca Anne, you are doing really good getting everything together for the garden. Lots of fruit trees and such.  Wish I had the room for a couple of fruit trees.  Not so sure I would want to plant them in the front yard but is the only place I have to do it. 

I have emptied several more boxes from my bedroom closet. Those boxes have been in my closet for 2 years. I forgot what was in them. Found my old kindle. I have that charging up now.  As I go through them, I am making piles of what goes where. Figured out a way to sort my first aid and have a much better place for it all now. It will all be together in one place in some cubbies I put in hallway. Just need to find the curtains I made for them. 

Edited by Littlesister
Hit save button
  • Like 5

Woodpeckers can indeed be destructive but can also tell you something about the wood they are pecking at.  If there is one hole they are working on especially if the wood is rotting or soft they probably think the area would be a good place to nest.  If you find a line of small holes or an area riddled with small holes they are probably finding insects to eat. It could be termites but it could also be just ants or other insects.  If it is insects you might consider spraying the wood to kill the insects.

To discourage them you could try hanging bright shiny moving things in the area.  Things like pinwheels, Mylar helium filled balloons, wind socks, wind chimes, or strips of aluminum foil. . You can also try owl or hawk silhouettes placed under eves or overhangs. You do have to move them often as woodpeckers are smart and soon figure there is no threat. Another idea is to record their own or other woodpecker’s calls and play them near where the birds are attracted. Periodic loud noises works but the neighbors might object.  If woodpeckers (or other birds) are pecking at your window glass they are probably seeing their own reflection and are trying to fight with it. They are very territorial. Sometimes just putting something inside the windows to block the reflection stops that. Or using a cut out of an owl or hawk there.  You can also use two dark round circles on those windows to resemble eyes. Line men and tree workers often paint eyes on the back of their hard hats to discourage birds from attacking them.  Bird dislike eyes staring at them as it’s a threat.  

Always pay attention to what the animal or bird has to tell you.  

• Like 6

My posts were made of four pieces of treated wood nailed together making a square. It wasn't even a solid piece. They made about 5-6 holes in the wood each about the size of a half dollar. There weren't any bugs in them. I had sprayed the posts with Raid hoping to deter the woodpeckers with the smell. They didn't care. The holes were mostly in the top. So a nest would have to be about 8 feet down to the cement porch slab. There were about 8 of them on my fence panel. They destroyed it. All the trees in my back yard and they go for the fence and my house. I suppose I'm lucky they didn't start destroying my upper level. I couldn't fight back up there. If I don't see another woodpecker it will be too soon. I'm just hoping they stay away until I get moved. Trust me, you don't want to chance woodpeckers around your house. They are probably hatching baby destroyers right now. 

They didn't go for my windows. The little finches would do that. They didn't cause any damage and I liked to watch them. Hummingbirds didn't cause any problems either. Nothing coming out of my woods has caused any issues except those d@mn woodpeckers. Oh, and the deer come right up to our door here. They love to eat our shrubs. Or pull them out of the ground and leave them. But they aren't trying to take my house down.  Sigh. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Things are about to slow down for a bit. Doctor tomorrow morning, then GD coming over after to visit. Then on Thursday I am going shopping with my next-door neighbor and have lunch.  Will start back on the organizing on Friday and then DD and SIL will be here for the weekend. GS goes to Mepps on Friday. Praying he will past that test this time. It's hard to get the things I need to do and clean up behind him also. He has stuff in the fridge that I might be throwing out as he will take a bite of something and then back in the fridge. I dumped a lot of his food out last week and now will be dumping more food tomorrow as Thursday is trash day. At least it's food he bought. He's so wasteful. My recycle bin is overflowing with old boxes I tore down. They pick that up every other week. 

Jeepers, I think the woodpeckers love your house. Hope you don't have that issue in Indy. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Jeepers, I think the woodpeckers love your house. Hope you don't have that issue in Indy. 

Yeah, I'm special that way.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I'm not as worried over there because I don't have a woods behind the house over there. I have all kind of critters at my back door over here. No wild cats or bears so I'm good. 

• Like 3

Not sure if I mentioned but I've also been looking for all the books which are recipes, manuals, How-To's, resources of data for a post-hooey situation.  I was missing the big ole book by Dr and Nurse Amy Alton.  Was quite a costly item and :blink:  I had no idea where I'd put it.  I thot it was on the bottom shelf...  :shakinghead:  I found that today...surprise.  So we have 6 reference books of various topics like wild edibles & medicinals, Ball Blue Book, Carla Emory - Country Living, LDS book on Making the Best of Basics.  I've had most of these for years/decades.  But they're all together and would be in the Grab It pile.  Reference material!  Things get lost too easy in this house.  If I reorganize the living room book case - I'll put them over there.  But for now - stay put!  Don't go running off!  Sheeesh!  

Did more sorting/organizing of living room space.  There is a little bit of space now.  Not just a walk way.  Still got a lot piled up in front of the pellet stove but ...a little by little.  Got all the small First Aid stuff for human and dog (mostly cleaning her ears occasionally.) All on the small desk but will still undergo more change when I get to that point. 

I did walk the dog tonite.  Hmph...all this bending, contorting to reach things, lifting and moving....  and the walk was short cuz I couldn't really push too far.  :scratchhead:   I thot I'd be okay cuz I'm moving a lot.  But stamina gave out on me.  Hmph!  Well, I can get that back but I get really exhausted from a day of sorting and such.  Lotta motion but... I do have to sit down a lot. 

MtRider  :shrug:  

• Like 3

I have a few prepper books too. Both real and Kindle. I want real physical books where I can study the pages of my reference books. Other less important books I have on a Kindle. I swear by the crates like I can get at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.  Not to big and not to small. You can tip the crate up on its side and the books automatically pack themselves for moving. I just have to carry it out to the car to move them. They stack on top of each other nicely too. I think I need to paint mine. 

I noticed a new bookstore over here about a month ago called Books On The Wall. Anyone ever heard of it? I might have to go check it out soon. I still think my favorite prepper book is the LDS Manual. Stan Dayo and his wife Holly put out a good one too that I can't remember the name of. It has a lot of lists in it. 

Edited by Jeepers
Cleaned up the content to make better sense. Sheesh.
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Yeah, I'm special that way.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Yes, you definitely are!  

And your house must be special too ‘cause it seemed like the perfect place to nest to those woodpeckers.  We always used to joke here that I must have an X on my house because injured wildlife always seemed to find their way to me.  I bet your house has a welcome sign for woodpeckers.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Went to Orthopedic this morning. Just as I thought also was osteo arthritis in both knee and shoulder.  He injected both so a bit sore today but mostly in the shoulder right now. I will be doing therapy at home and then after he gets the authorization from insurance I will be doing 12 weeks of injections. It's called Euflexxa. It lubricates and cushions the knee and reduces inflammation and pain. It's not bone on bone but close. I have osteopenia which I already knew about.  And I called my primary care when I got home and demanded that he call in RX for my low Vit. D levels that over the counter was not working and it has been very low for almost 2 years.  So, I guess he decided to do it this time. And of course, like a lot of meds, It's on back order. So, waiting till they can get it in. 

GD and GGB came over to visit after I got back home. The baby was like forget you mommy; I want my GM. Nope not spoiled at all. She is determined to walk but can't figure out what to do with those feet. But the legs are locked in. 

Going to try to get a few things done in a bit. Still going through things and trying to get them organized where I want them to go.

Mt. Rider sounds like you are also going though things and getting them organized. I need to get my things together for in case I have to make that run. Grab and go bags to be updated. I have some books I want to get together to grab also just in case. 

• Like 4

Sorry about your osteo related issues Littlesister. Ouch! My DIL has rheumatoid arthritis and has to take meds for it daily. Not fun at all.  :hug3:

The last two months my Vit. D was back ordered too. I take 5,000 units of Vitamin D-3 capsules. 

• Like 3

Littlesister good work on the decluttering/sorting. I hope the treatment helps! It's hard to absorb D3 for me too. I take 5000 IU daily but my Vitamin D level is still low normal...just had my Dr tell me to start taking 5000 IU daily of D3 after my last labs to check my level and I messaged back I'm already taking 5000 IU daily! 

Jeepers always fun to discover a new bookstore. I haven't been in one for awhile have been going to the library a lot though

Mt Rider glad you found your book but sorry your walk got cut short!

Mother good tips on the ways to discourage woodpeckers. My mom said she saw one the other day hope they don't decide my house is a good place to stay. 

I'm off for the next 4 days. Hoping to do a few errands like get a safe deposit box at the bank and have to make a trip in to St Louis tomorrow to take my mom to an apt.

• Like 3

Becca Anne and jeepers, I was taking 5000 +3 over the counter for a couple of years and the levels never went back to normal. So, I called and made him call in the prescription one. This happened many years ago and another doctor I had put me on 50,000 by prescription and that worked. So will see what happens. I don't know what mil. he called in but will find out soon enough.

Shoulder has calmed down a bit from the injection, just a bit sore if I move it a certain way. My knee is better in some ways but at times I still feel it a bit. But not as bad. So, hoping this will work. Just hope I won't need another injection in the shoulder and that these 12 weeks of injections will keep me off the operating table. I don't have time for knee replacements. This is supposed to help keep the bones from rubbing on each other which has not happened yet. But if this doesn't work then it will happen somewhere down the line. 

Seems a few of us are trying to declutter and get things in order. We will all get there at some point. 

We used to have a used bookstore here and it closed down as well as a Christian bookstore. Haven't found another one. But when my neighbor and I went to the Carrollton furniture store they have a lot of used books for cheap. I want to go back as soon as I am able and go through them. The Goodwill near me also has books now that they are selling. Might go look through those as well. I want to find some old history books as well as DIY type books.

• Like 2

Well Little Sister, now you've got confirmation of your knee, shoulder.  Hope you can get something to ease the pain and increase the function!  :pray: 

Do those of you who run low on D3 get any increase if you spend time in the sunshine?  Balance between sunshine for D and not sunburn.  B) Mine was low but is fine with a gummy per day.  So I'm not experienced with what you're talking about.  

Ugh!  I went to Women's Bible study today.  First tho......I spent time trying to clear my hearing aids and put new filter (?) things in.  Teeny-Tiny Itty-Bitty parts.  And me with hand tremors.  (DH would be worse) So I tend to put it off....until the hearing aid doesn't work.  Well, I was trying to do it quickly before leaving.....and couldn't get L one in the ear.  I had the "tail" on backwards and had forgotten to put on the new flexible, clear plastic thing that covers the very small "bug" in your ear canal.  Got it on the first one and oops- forgot on the second.  Sheeesh....high level of general competence here!  :blink:  Missing parts are not in the recommended procedure!!! :buttercup:   Finally got out the door and was not quite late but rushed. 

Used the wheelchair this week.  Was worn out by the time I got back up the stairs at home.  :0327:    Dang...I need more stamina!  Was freezing all afternoon - sign of fatigue or just can't keep up body temp.  ..or I'm sick??????  For the second time recently, I thot I was going to lose lunch.  Got to bathroom but didn't.  Placed buckets JIC....  :scratchhead:   This is not the time to get sick!!!  :pray:   Ginger ale and ginger cookies relieve this but...  what is this?

So other than another load of clothes down stairs to laundry and collecting dry clothes to put away, I've been laying down resting/reading/talking to mom.   IS it a virus or is it from all my sorting/arranging?  Pushing too hard?  I really can't tell.  But if that's the case, I'm going to have to carry a barf bag and ginger ale/ginger cookies on the flights to Maui.  Might be a good idea anyway.  Will take us 15 hrs total - including airport wait times to reach Kahului, Maui.  O'hana!  :bighug2:   :bounce:  

MtRider ....I definitely need more sleep than last nite.  But I've got a good record for the rest of the week. 

• Like 3

I’m way behind, so will have to go back and read what everyone is up to... probably tomorrow. 

I’m not even sure what I did yesterday... Crocheted and piddled around in the kitchen. It rained all day. 

Went to town today. DG, Ollie’s, WM, Menards, Dollar Tree, Tractor Supply. Main missions were gifts for DGD(5) and DGS(7) and a new clothes dryer. Got the gifts. Focus on camping. New camp chairs and *go bags* :thumbs: — go camping... go to grandma’s... lol. Got them nice Mossy Oak backpacks and *stuff* to go in them. Poppers, fancy coloring books, gel pens and colored pencils... for when driving or it’s raining. Trial size bathroom stuff. Small flashlights and headlamps and whistles with a compass. Hard candies. 
Didn’t get the dryer... might have to go back to town tomorrow or DH might have to fix the old one. Either way isn’t gonna be cheap.

DD left today with her dad for a trip to Europe and then Iceland. Will be back the 13th. I’m trying not to be nervous. :pray:

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

• Like 5

I'm a tad jealous of you guys travel agenda. I'd love to go to Europe and Iceland. I spend a lot of time Google driving but it isn't the same. I want to go to Scotland and Wales and Ireland. Probably never going to happen now. 

I always tell myself that when I'm in heaven I'll get to go see all the concerts I want and do all the traveling around all over the world I want to see. And learn about all of the murder mysteries down here. Like JonBenet Ramsay and Nicole Brown Simpson. Watch Lizzie Borden and Jack the Ripper. And bunches of others.

Breakfast with Rod Stewart, tea with the Beatles and midnight snack with Mick and Keith. :wub:   Dance with John Travolta and Tina Turner. 

Sit up in the clouds and look down at how the life in Victorian England really was. And in Egypt during the Pharaoh  times.

Weekends with my family on the other side. I miss my grand pa and granny and mother. And all of those aunts, uncles and cousins I love and miss. I haven't heard my mother's voice in over 54 years. But I still remember it. There will be a few beagles up there too. Misty Ann and Muffin Marie AKA Maxine will be waiting for me to pick them up at the Rainbow Bridge. By then there will probably be a Trixie and Baylee waiting too. 

Dipping down to kiss G-son and whispering wisdom into his little ears a few times a year. Smacking son up side the head just to freak him out  LOL.

I don't plan on hanging around my coffin for very long. I have things I want to do. A wandering spirit. 

I'm going to have to make a list and give it to God. At his convenience of course.  :engel-smilies-10-1:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I'm going to have to carry a barf bag and ginger ale/ginger cookies on the flights to Maui. 

Try crystallized ginger also.  The bit of sugar long with the stronger real ginger helps with nausea and gives a small boost to the blood sugar levels. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I don't plan on hanging around my coffin for very long. I have things I want to do. A wandering spirit. 

Oh my dear Jeepers.  God does work through others in ways we rarely see.   I think of heaven with joy but along with it has gone the awareness of how much I will miss my family here.  I have never once thought of heaven in that tangible way and now I can’t stop thinking about it in those very pleasant terms.  I do have thoughts of the meetings I’d have with God and with my family and friends but never with the details you present.  Just the thought of actually having tea with my Mom, as we used to in life, has put a big smile in my heart.  I, too, have an unfulfilled wandering spirit and my expectation of heaven has just risen higher than ever!  Thank you for sharing those thoughts with us.  Humerus as those thoughts might be, they have lifted my dreams for life into a new level!  Thank you! :hug3:  I needed those words.

I have ancestors in Scotland and Ireland and always wanted to go.  I’ll meet you there!  :engel-smilies-10-1:

• Like 4

Jeepers, I feel the same way. Seeing all my cousins, aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, DH and lots of friends that have gone on before me. 

You put so much in such a whimsical way. It made my day today. 

Waiting for my neighbor to call me to go out. Her son needs her car again and she is supposed to take it to him, and he bring her back. But she hasn't left yet to take it to him. His car broke down again. So now I don't know when we are leaving. Just waiting on her call. But might just go ahead and start working on office while waiting. I have done a small amount of work, going through things that are going to Goodwill, or have put in the proper place. Yes, trying to organize sucks. It's not always easy when you are having to go from room to room to get things in the proper room and then in the proper place. I have a box that I am putting everything in that I am not sure about. Do I keep it or pitch it situation. I have old papers that I am gathering up for wood stove next winter. I will be working on a spot in garage to keep all that type of stuff just for the stove. Beats trying to shred it and it does make good fire starter. Though I will shred a lot of it as that also can be put in a huge plastic bag for fire starter as well. 

Just saw neighbor outside. Guess it will be a while before we leave. Her son is at the house. He's weed eating the yard and her daughter is cutting the grass. Don't think she saw that coming.  

She just called. She's leaving them there to their own defenses and we are now getting ready to leave.  Later 

• Like 4

Yesterday, I didn't walk. Yikes!
Had to get teeth cleaned first thing in the morning and then took friend to thrift shop and Walmart.
Still waiting to hear from VA and docs to get DH's IV antibiotics started.

Walked this morning with Bo.
Cleaned baths and dusted house.
Walked Aninja and Bo around property.
Got meat out to thaw- cooking out tomorrow.
Bible study tonight.

• Like 4

Just got back from our shopping trip, but really wasn't shopping for anything. Just walking around the stores and getting surprised by how much just clothes and such has gone up. Then went to lunch and then to Ross and looked around there. We only got things we really needed. I got the baby a summer outfit and me a pair of much needed tennis shoes and the baby outfit and a new can opener as mine was on its last leg.  When we got back to her house, she gave me the canning jars that she found for me when she went out with her other neighbor. 10 jars for $5.00.  No chips or anything. And yes, jeepers two of those were Kerr jars and one was an Atlas. The rest were ball jars. All quarts.

We are planning a trip next week to Newport News, the secondhand stores and Ollies. Maybe a couple of other places and then lunch. It will be my turn to pay for lunch. We are taken turns on lunch each week.  She just lost her DH a couple of months ago and is struggling. I know where she is coming from. So, she just needs to get motivated and get her mind off of things right now. So, this hopefully is helping her, and she is enjoying it. I know it is helping me to get out of the house and get moving again. 

• Like 3