MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Miki, sounds like you are going to have a busy month. Lots of visitors coming and going. Enjoy your time with all of them. 

Mt. Rider, I also have severe neck issues. Had to have surgery due to the fact it effected my spinal cord.  The bone collapsed on the cord. So, Godiva bone also. C4 through C7. If you decide to go to doctor. Get an X-Ray of neck and an ultrasound on carotid arteries. I know it is more test and doctors, but you really don't want to take any chances.  Thank about it. :hug3:

Hamburger is in the canners.  Went to Harris Teeter early this morning and hit the jackpot on beef.  Got a lot to can. It was all on sale but some on reduced special. So can the beef tomorrow.  Also got some skinless chicken breast. That wasn't on sale but from the section where they will cut it for you. They had the breast already cut and wrapped so got enough of that to can as well.  Going to be a busy couple of days. And yes, again my plans have changed from what I should be doing to this needs to be done now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its a day.   10 year anniversary for DH and me.  :balloons:

DD15 will be 16 next week and her computer came yesterday.  I got my husband's old monitors and she got my smaller monitor (it was smaller than my big one, but bigger than my husband's old two) to go with her new desktop.  I'm up to 3 monitors now.  

DD3 sat on the couch in my bedroom from 7 till 10 munching on some breakfast and watching Brain Candy TV.  I got up, went to the bathroom, was gone less than 5 minutes.  Well she got into some things she should not have been able to reach and then proceeded to walk around the house with stuff traumatizing DD15.  :blush::shakinghead::008Laughing:

20240402_171917.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Well, I had a good sleep.  The intensity of the pulsing - hissing is less.  Or else I'm getting accustomed to it.  Still there.  I'm not feeling as "sick" as yesterday.  Taking our herbal stuff and maybe it's going to finally overcome what ever it's been minimizing.  Usually able to quickly knock flu bug or whatever is trying to get a foothold.  :shrug: 

Bright sunny day with a brisk, chill wind.  Not going out for sun bathing.  :grinning-smiley-044:  Took me forever to get warm when I got out of bed.  :frozen: 

Dog and I are not up for doing much.  About 3 days ago she did something to the toes of her rear leg.  Not a split toe nail.  And she will put weight on it but doesn't want to.....so it probably isn't broken.  She and I are just hanging out today.  DH has his client for 5 hrs and then he's done for the week.  I'm hoping to pickup the supper plan that went sideways when this neck/hiss thing began.  We'll see if I've got the energy and brain stability to follow a recipe.  ??

MtRider  ....less and less snow in the once gigantic piles.  :) 

• Like 4

Mt. Rider, glad you are doing better. I hope whatever it is will go away.  

Been canning all day. Still have the last of the 2 canners going. Will start dinner in about an hour.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Miki. Hope you get to catch your breath soon.

Oh Dear, was DD3 'adulting' LOL

Happy anniversary to you and Mr. And a Happy Birthday to soon to be DD Sweet 16

I had a traumatizing day with the tax man today. Remember I talked about capital gains tax on a stock that sold? Holy Crap. It is awful. I owe nearly half of what that stock was worth. It was a sell off that I had nothing to do with. The company sold it. I'm gutted. Well, I cried and pulled up my big girl panties and went to Amish country. 

I wasn't really in the mood to go but didn't want to stay home either. Good thing I went though. One of the little stores down there had asparagus on sale for $1.00 a pound. I couldn't pass that up so I got 24 pounds! All they had. I 'plan' to can it in half pints. That's the serving size for me. I like to eat veggies for a snack sometimes so one of those little jars will be just right. I'm only going to do the spears because that's all I like. Some will go to waste but I'm okay with that. Wonder if Amish asparagus is better than secular asparagus? :D  Looks like I'll be up to my ears in asparagus tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Jeepers, it seems they should have let you know so you could move that money into something else.  That is going to be rough. 

Yeah! I can say that because they didn't take taxes out of my SS after I told them to and then when I had to take money out of my retirement and move another one into something else, I told my financial planner to take taxes out of what I got from it. Nope, he didn't do it ether. So, I had to pay the tax man. And it wasn't pretty either. So now I am getting taxes taken out of my SS and I am not having to move any money around for a while so good for next year. 

That will make for a rough couple of months but will be back on my feet soon from that one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Ouch!  Jeepers and Little Sister both!  Why is it that the professionals can't DO the job? 

I retract the phrase "I'm feeling better"....   I WAS.  Didn't do much but did decide I'd be safe to finally take shower and wash hair!  So glad I cut it to shoulder-length.  Cuz I just comb it out and use the snap/clip things to hold it down somewhat.  That's it.  The sun was so warm on porch, I thot it would be nice to enjoy that and dry my hair.  It worked......  but after shower, etc.....  :0327:   Whew....took everything I thot I had.  DH came home with back pain (expected) but it took both of us to put an oven roasted stew together.  I was doing bending and lifting and peeling.  It will be done in a couple hours.  If I'm still awake...cuz the FATIGUE is hitting hard.  Sheeeesh! 

MtRider  ....guess I'm not over whatever crud has been plaguing me yet.  :offtobed: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

The tax man cometh... I just want him to go-eth!

We have a similar situation with capital gains so I feel your pain, Jeepers.

I got my bloodwork done today. I didn't feel too productive. I never realized how much time is spent just getting ready to go out in public in the cold. Vanity is definitely my Achilles heel! Showering, lotioning, hairstyling, putting on clothes, applying makeup, selecting earrings & shoes, putting on perfume, etc... The blood draw took 5 minutes. I spent the remainder of the day pondering my sanity. I went through the same ritual that I would have gone through to go to work...for 5 stinking minutes! Afterward, I couldn't even come up with someplace else to go to make the day less of a waste. I should have just worn pajamas and a winter hat to the doctor's office. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

:hug3:   Martianchick    Yeah....habits die hard.  Some habits are good tho - what if you'd met someone you'd feel badly if you weren't dressed in your normal attire?  OR....since retirement, who cares what your chosen new normal will be???? 

...... man, I want to just crawl in bed right now!  But have to wait for our stew.  Energy just dropped like a rock in a well.  No retrieval possible.  :(  And ears HISSSSSING and surging again.  Dang!  I thot I had this plague on the run. 

MtRider ....  :fever:   

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Something seems to be going around again. G-son just called and had been throwing up and becoming BFF with the toilet. AKA the crapper. :rolleyes: they have plenty of liquid stuff so he will be fine. He seems to get that a lot. School. Talked to son. He can't get a colonoscopy until sometime In June! Our medical system Is awful. 

Mt. Rider. If you didn't want to have the neck checked out because of medical insurance. You can make an appointment to Life Line and they check your arms and leg veins and your abdominal arteries and carotid artery. Maybe your heart too. I can't remember what all they tested but at the time it was around $200.00 or possibly $250. With no insurance. I think Littlesister had hers done around the same time I got mine done. They are quick and easy and non invasion. There are a lot of things they can checkout but i just got the basic artery check up.

It wasn't a great blood pressure day. I had to go lay down while washing the dishes. Lay down or pass out. I took my BP and it was 100/66. Heart rate 88. That is was to low for me. Hope the cardiologist will have some answers. Last cardiologist said I had Tachycardia and Short Of Breath. Guess that made me a Tachy SOB. B)

• Like 5

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Euphrasyne!!! :band2::bdaycake: :balloons:

@themartianchick... I sometimes wish I got *dressed* more. My normal is jeans, t-shirt/sweatshirt, tennies, ponytail, and no makeup. Heck, when I had the goats and sometimes had to run up town for something (especially right after doing chores or a doe just kidding), I might even smell a bit funky... and who knows what kind of gunk might be on me. :smiley_shitfan: I really admire ladies that are all put together in public. 

I feel bad for everyone that’s having medical/money issues. :grouphug: I have neither... not sure that’s a good thing. :008Laughing: Haven’t even been to a doctor in almost 25 yrs. Not that I have anything against them... just figure “if it ain’t broke...”. 🤷‍♀️ And money... well, I got some... just not enough to cause me problems. :bounce::24:

And with that...

Went to town today— and spent too much!! :shopping:

Rural King— they had these bird food things..”stackers”- like a suet block, but seeds, round and thicker, on sale for .91c each. Normally $4.99. So I bought ALL 50!! :faint3:Got 7 cases of spring water. <—-This is the reason I go to town. Nobody believes that I didn’t drink water until 2 years ago when I discovered this water. I hate water. 🤮 This is the only kind that I’ve found that I actually like. Also got DH a pair of RK jeans ($12), a 6 pk of daffodils that have small flowers for the grandkids fairy garden, and a couple other various bird foods and a feeder.

Ollies— fuzzy-wuzzy blankies (3) for the camper, a queen size air mattress/sheets and two pillows.

Goodwill— went to get me more jeans cuz I’ve had to throw away 2 pairs in the last couple months. Picked out 5 to try on, hoping that 2 or 3 would fit. I hate trying on clothes, so if nothing fits... I’m done. ALL 5 FIT!!! :faint3::cele:Also got DH a pair of jeans, a manual turn popcorn popper, a round electric skillet, and FOUR of those plug in strips (7 plugs) for $5 each.

Went to WM instead of Aldis— 2 pots of really pretty light pink tulips (normal price was almost $6... on sale for $2.49... rang up $1.19– should have got more), 4 1# cans of Coleman lantern/stove fuel, 3 pk new cutting boards (DH request), stuff for venison Mississippi Pot Roast to can, fresh veggies to make stir-fry that I’ve been craving. 
Meat market— got DS2’s gift card. And of course I had to look around at all the specially stuff. Found a morel mushroom and leek jack cheese that I couldn’t pass up. And got a rotisserie chicken for dinner. Never had one before. It was pretty yummy. :yum3:

Got home and one of my seed potatoes order was here. The mini potatoes. Pretty small bags for the price. Not impressed. They better be much more impressive growing. 

Tomorrow I’m making more soap and canning venison.

:hug3:and :kissy:

Necie

• Like 6

Already walked.
Have laundry going.
Will walk Aninja in a few minutes.
A friend is taking me to see a couple of dogs that were dumped at her neighbor's.
My friend from Monroe, LA is coming and we are taking a road trip to Gulfport so she (or I) can visit with a golden doodle to see if she is a good fit for her or us. Dog is free but has to get along with my friend's labradoodle or my chihuahua.
Will unload potting soil that I bought yesterday.
A friend cleaned out her pantry and gave me what was a little outdated. I honestly shouldn't have to buy food except almond milk and soda for DH and fruit. It is a real blessing!

• Like 5

Finished cleaning the kitchen from all the canning yesterday.  I left a mess last night. Washed up the jars I canned and got those labeled and put away. So done canning for a few days at least. Still a lot in freezer to get canned but can't do but so much at a time because of interruptions when I need to be doing other things.  Yes, I am babysitting this afternoon so GD and her DH can go look at houses. Nice to know that though she told me yesterday about the one they didn't get because they didn't move fast enough, she never told me I would be babysitting till about 2 hours ago. So, baby will be here at 2:30 to ?. 

At least the kitchen is cleaned up and the jars of food put away. But was going to work on wood pile this afternoon. So again, that is on hold as well as my bedroom closet. Got a few other things I need to get done first. Just needed this break for now and a cup of coffee. Yeah, didn't get my morning coffee when I first got up. Just started in cleaning the kitchen. 

I must have started something around here. I got new gutters and now my next-door neighbor is putting new gutters on her house.  Guess it is a trend for us widows. Doing what should have been done before our DH's passed away.  But my DH and I had already planned on redoing the bathrooms and such. Only extra thing I did was to put in a wood stove verses a fireplace. That DH and I never talked about. But was worth it as it heats the whole house, and I can cook on it if need be. Which I didn't think I could do. Learning curve but I'm learning. 

I think I am done with remodel other than painting the rest of house and then get the storm doors and new outside lights put in. Other than that, I am done with remodeling. And I hope by then I can just sit back and enjoy it. 

GS leaves on the 26th to go to Mepps. He should be leaving shortly after that to boot camp. :hi: I am ready to move his messes out of my house and finish up the cleaning. Then I can get new living room and dining room table as soon as I sell this monster dining room suit I have now. Will soon be getting that emptied and ready to put on GD's app she uses to sell things. The living room suit I have now I will donate to Sarmatians purse. I think they will pick it up. 

• Like 3

Crocheted 🧶 this morning.

Made a double batch of soap— Southern Gentleman. I love this one... smells sooooo YUMMY!! :wink(2):

Canned venison. 6 qts of mild Mississippi Pot Roast, 6 qts of medium Mississippi Pot Roast, and 2 qts of northern beans. 

Worked on taking care of some stuff and organizing in the kitchen while waiting on the canner.
Crocheted some more this evening.

Not sure yet what I’m doing tomorrow. ??? Can’t make more soap til next weekend. Maybe I’ll try to knock a few things off my *to do* list. :happy0203:

Necie

BF9B53D1-72E4-434E-B08D-85CD2B885E12.jpeg

198A12F7-CFEB-4A76-A546-847E58E78DAC.jpeg

Edited by Necie
  • Like 6

HAHAHAHA!!! :008Laughing:

I’ve thought it was Thursday all day. Thought TOMORROW was supposed to be Friday. Imagine my surprise when I just saw someone posted a pic of a sunrise this morning and said “HAPPY FRIDAY!!” :laughkick:

Today was Friday. Tomorrow is Saturday. Just in case anyone else needed to know. :imoksmiley:

• Haha 4

I'm always checking my watch to see what day it is!!  I did lose a day this week somewhere.  Cuz it shouldn't be Saturday already!   :scratchhead:   But yep, computer says it's been Saturday for 7..er.....8 minutes.   :sigh:     How does it always get so late when I'm not done with Friday yet!?!? 

I've been watching a fascinating program ...  a SUPER SCIENCE/MATH INTELLIGENT guy talking about how science and particularly math can prove there absolutely has to be a God.  He says 45% of scientists  (real ones, not woke) believe there is GOD behind everything.  And 80% of deep math folks do.  I think those were the numbers ....but numbers are not my thing.

I couldn't possibly follow all that he said but what I could was really enlightening.  I'd always thot those science/math types would be lost in their theories and computations and such.  Never thot there would be such a high rate of believers amongst them.  :amen:  But I think, from what he said, you have to be entrenched deeply and honestly into the science/math to discovery this.   I'd never get past 5th grade math so I came to my belief via personal experience.  It works too.

Says earth could not have had such large creatures unless they were sustained in a water environment....can't hold up such weight as a Rex on land.  ...Don't ask me about his science behind that one.  Laws of physics or something.  But with the buoyancy of water - yeah, that's why whales can get larger.  Rex would have to support some of the weight with water too....but not necessarily submerged. 

:imoksmiley:   Anyone here feel the New Jersey earthquake.  I was kinda surprised to find that there are/have been some fairly serious earthquakes in that NY, NJ, etc region.  Not very often.  I was reading the history recorded from way back and they all mentioned damage with "a lot of chimney bricks fell down".  My mom didn't feel it in DC area.  Bro said :  I live on a boat and work around heavy equipment.  I'd never notice.  :rolleyes:   Yeah.   

My ear hissssing and surging is quite a lot better today.  Still there...but as I've mentioned, I always have a low grade hissssing in my ears.  Especially if my neck is flaring up.  But the biggest difference today is -- I don't feel like I'm coming down with some illness.  :amen:   Not like that huge drop I got after shower/wash hair yesterday....  :0327:  Even tho it's late tonite, I'm still feeling normal....with a bit of stiff neck unless I keep shifting positions.  But it's beyond time to go to bed and REST....

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Like 4

Mt. Rider I will read that when I have more time. 

Glad you are feeling better and hope the hissing sound goes away. 

I never felt the earthquake here.  The only one I have ever felt was the one on the other side of DC or Richmond.  That was enough for me. It does make you feel a bit disoriented. I would hate to feel one that was worse than that one was and that really wasn't that bad for us here. But did shake things in the house a bit. 

Yesterday in mail, I got 2 envelopes in mail a bit larger than a postcard. They were not sealed other than with the postal label. Nothing was in either of the envelopes. The postage was paid on 4/8/24. Well, the 8th hasn't happened yet. One envelope came from Richmond TX and the other one from Lafayette LA. There is a USPS tracking label also. It says from shipping center. Nothing more.  Took them to the post office this morning and they tried to trace the tracking number with no info in that. So told me to call the Postal inspection services. Will have to wait till Monday when they reopen.  A couple of people I talked to think they are using my address for a criminal act. After I call the postal inspection, I will also notify the police if needed. I first want to see if the postal inspections can figure it out. 

Working in bedroom today.  Got some things done this morning while waiting for post office to open at 10:30. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Did some canning last night. I discovered my canner vent pipe is square at the top and doesn't take my round disk regulator. Fortunately I had saved the one it came with. I really don't like using that one. But I muddled through.  :(  I ordered an adjustable weighted gauge so I'll see if it will work when it comes in. If I would have known that sooner I could have picked one up at Lehmans while I was down there this week. Wonder if I can replace the vent pipe with a pointed one? 

My 36 jars of asparagus came out great but not without a struggle. The new blood pressure med that is giving me more stamina is working too well since he doubled it up a week ago. I think taking it full amount twice a day is too much.

I started feeling faint about half way through canning. I had to get on the floor before I passed out. Numerous times.  Sigh. I took my pressure and it was 100/66. Way too low for someone who functions on high blood pressure! It was all I could do to finish prepping the asparagus and getting it in the jars without passing out. I spent most of the time on the floor. Unfortunately, my kitchen stool is in...Indiana so I had no place to sit except for a dinning room chair that is too low to reach the sink. Nausea soon followed. Crimony, I was a hot mess for awhile. 

I'm skipping a dose of med to see if that is really what was happening. I'm pretty sure it is. One good thing is the heart monitor probably picked it up. 

But in the end, all the jars sealed and are looking so pretty. Glad I did it...glad it's over. 

Next will be mixed vegetables. Assuming I'm upright. I'm off to Ace Hardware now to get their remaining half pint jars. I'm on a canning roll. :canning:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I need to take inventory of my jars. I have gone through a lot of the pints during the last 2 times I have canned. Not sure how many of the 1/2 pints I have. Will be looking for them at yard sales this spring and summer also. 

I am mostly just going to can what I am starting to get low on. I know I need to can more squash. Didn't get much from garden last year so not many jars left. Hoping to get a bushel of squash from the farm market this summer. 

• Like 3

I'm low on everything. My Amazon jars came today so I'm either going to do carrots or green beans in them. Probably green beans because I already have them bought up in the freezer. I need to look for carrots on sale. I think I have all the half pint jars I'm going to need. Famous last words.  :24:

Right now I have 24 half pints of mixed veggies in the canner waiting for it to exhaust itself. They aren't my favorite but I will use them in cooking and pot pies. I think G-son likes them. I'm tired and didn't realize they take 75 minutes to process. Must be the corn. Sheeesh, I should have started earlier. 

• Like 3

Well, obviously, today was not the day I thought it was going to be. Since I thought it was going to be Friday, and it ended up being Saturday, I didn’t get any of the stuff done that I planned on doing today... if it had been Friday. 

But, since it was Saturday, I ran up to DS2’s to give him his birthday card and gift card. He was excited about the gift card to that meat market... said he’d not been to that one yet. 

Then stopped at a small rummage store and got me 2 springform pans. One regular size and one a bit smaller. $3 for both. Also found an old pint milk bottle full of black marbles for $5. Now I’m trying to figure out how to tell if they’re purple. I collect black amethyst glass. 
Then went to mom’s. DSIS4 is staying there this weekend— medical issues. She was mostly in bed. DSIS6 was there too. DS1 decided to have a campfire since it was so nice, so we got camp chairs out of the cabin and DS1, mom, DSIS6 and I sat around the fire gabbing for a few hours. Nice to just sit and relax for awhile. :gathering: 

Tomorrow I’m going to pretend like it’s Friday and get the stuff done that I’d planned on doing today if it had been yesterday. :008Laughing: Clear as mud?

Necie

Edited by Necie
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I finally feel nearly normal today.  Hissing in ears is down to normal.  Only a few "surges".   I didn't lose energy until ....6pm.  I've been losing energy about noon. ...after sleeping hard and long.  Whatever that was....I don't think I quite "got it".  But it took our usual herb/nutritionals so long to knock it down.  :blink:   Glad I didn't fully 'catch whatever'.  :shrug:  

Winds of spring are about to knock the house off the hillside!  I just stayed inside.  Don't need any more attacks on my nervous system.  Wind does a wretched number on my ability to think or move or ....function!  Motion and Noise and Buffeted by wind....     :behindsofa:  

Dug out a spiral notebook and will begin to make a LIST .....for a visit to Maui.  :bounce:   I've got a few wks yet but.....I have to pack carefully and that will take some figuring.  And finding things.  And get (or find) a new pair of reader glasses.  My most recent pair broke in half.  I've been using a wobbly discarded pair with my fingers crossed til I can get into town and get another one.  But I'm thinking I have an unused pair ...somewhere....  :buttercup:  Can't see anything close up without them.

Much better day but I'm TIRED.......

.....yeah, Necie.  :scratchhead:   I can't figure out this is Saturday either.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Must have lost count of day or two ....with being home/inside for 10 days!  :fever:  

MtRider  ....making a list! 

• Like 4

What's going on? I thought today was Friday too. I had an important call to make (banking) and they were closed due to it being a weekend. Now I have to wait until Monday. :rolleyes:

Mt. Rider. If your BP and arteries are fine, then it sounds like you might have tinnitus. I have that sometimes too. Very annoying. I can usually get around it by having other noise drown it out like an audio book or a fan. I usually sleep with a fan on all year around just for the noise. Mine sounds like White Noise hissing.  Lately I've been listening to free books from Youtube at night on my phone. I've been trying to listen to "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder but I keep falling asleep.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1