MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

I just realized that Mt. Rider hasn't been on here in a while. Does anyone know if she and her DH are doing ok. I know she has family in Maui as well as friends but thought they escaped the worse of it. I think she did say one of her DD lost her house but not sure. 

Thinking of everyone affected on Maui fire is such a terrible thing. Brought back scary memories of the fires in OR a few years ago, people I  know lost everything and are still trying to regain equilibrium. 

Found out today that my FIL is being put on hospice. Feeling sad about that even though I'm not surprised. He's had Parkinson's for a number of years now. Glad we were able to go out this summer to visit so Ben had a chance to see his grandpa for a whole week while he was still interactive and able to get to know him.

• Sad 4

I've noticed her absence too Littlesister. I haven't wanted to bother her though. I figure she is still trying to process everything that is happening in Maui. That has to be hard on them. It's liable to be years before people over there get back to "normal." Whatever that is.  :( 

• Sad 3

I agree, Jeepers.  It will take years!

I will walk first, this morning.
Have handyman here finishing installing radiant barrier.
DH will be catching a ride with a friend to audiologist appt. a few towns over.
Then I will walk dogs.
Clean around all light switches and door knobs.
Clean out bottom of my bedroom closet.
Read and then go to Bible study this evening.
Water garden and roses

• Like 3

Yes Miki, my climbing zucchini is the trombocino.  No borers!  I definitely will plant again.  Now have a 3 footer I am taking to Home Depot to sow an employee in the garden area who said he wanted to see one, I had been asking him about trombocino, describing it as a trellised squash.  He had never heard of it so he will be shocked by it I suspect.  

Petunia (the two headed chicken) is still thriving.  When head #2 started cheeping it was a shock!  I guess it is alive after all, so we will not go to vet and attempt amputation as their organs are probably intertwined.  Petunia does not seem to mind so we leave it at that.  (Im surprised at how many people are grossed out by her. Im glad we rescued Petunia.)

• Like 3

Prayers going out for Mt. Rider and her family and friends from Maui. 

Becca Anne, prayers for your FIL and for your family. I know it is hard to go through. But God has this. 

Kappy, that Tromboncino is something else. I have 4 of them sitting on my dining room table and gave 4 of them to my neighbor.  The 2 vines are still loaded. I might be having to pick more this evening. 

Getting a slow start this morning. Just tired today and can't seem to get it together. Will be canning the squash later after GS wakes up. Will have it already to go as soon as he is up and getting ready for work. He sleeps on couch in den and the kitchen is right there. So don't want to wake him up. Only a week and a half left, and I have my house back and I can get things done in the mornings instead of the afternoon. Might be the reason I am so tired. House is a mess. Going to get all of GS's stuff together this weekend into one place so it will be ready to load on the truck on the 25th. I love my grandchildren, but they are high maintenance. Especially my GS. He moved in here with a lot of issues but has done well to work through them and move on now. And he got a much-needed raise at work. That couldn't have come at a better time. 

• Like 3

Miki, you must have been typing when I was.  The plants that were given to me we had to plant early spring. I am not sure about planting in fall. Will look that up to see. I know they are both summer and winter plants. My plants are still going strong. I will check my sources and let you know if you can plant them in fall.  I will say one thing. You will need a good strong trellis as they grow all over the place. I have never seen anything like it. Had to remove my small greenhouse as the plants were taking it over. Squash was growing behind it as well. 

• Thanks 1

I checked up on the Tromboncino squash.  If you are in a zone that does not have frost, you can plant in winter otherwise early spring. I was watching U-tube called Gardening in the North. She said if you plant the seeds in the early fall giving them a good start then you can plant them outside in winter. But they need that early start in pots first. She used some good size pots for starting them. 

They are both summer and winter squash. For summer pick them at about 2 to 3 ft. long. For winter pick at 4 to 6 ft long. For planting in spring plant in pots 4 weeks before last frost. 

Also, she talked a little about another squash called Boston Marrow squash. Also, in the Butternut family. They get big but rounder and fatter. 

I am canning squash now. Late start but didn't want to wake GS as he is working tonight. Yeah! the 25th isn't getting here fast enough. I think that is what is wearing me down. Trying to get things done in the afternoon instead of the mornings. But I am not making him comfortable so he would want to stay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Littlesister!  I think I will wait until Spring to plant them.

Will walk first.
Go to Courthouse and buy tag for my jeep.
Stop at lawyers for questions.
Maybe lunch at local restaurant.
Go to local market for sales.
Clean around all light switches and door knobs.
That may be about it for the day.

• Like 2

GS got the shelves put up in the closet for me. So now I just need to clean the floor and then I can start putting things away.  Did something to my knee that is making it hard to walk. Used blue emu on it and have a brace on it now as well. Still hurts to bend it or walk but can walk better than I was. I have no idea what I did. 

Going to store to get bananas for GS as they were out of them when I went the other day. Hopefully they should have them in again now. Then will come home and get started on that bedroom. I want to clear it totally out and get it ready to paint. 

Got the squash canned yesterday evening. 12 quarts and all sealed. So just need to clean up the jars, label them and get them into the pantry. Glad I got that out of the way.  

Will wash clothes as I missed getting that done other than towels last week and here it is Friday. But not going to wait till Monday as that is when I usually wash my clothes. It's going to be a busy week getting things together in one place for grandson. He moves into his apartment next Friday. I pray it all works out for him. As he seems to do better living on his own. That When I kicked him out the end of May, and he was living on his own in a hotel for a week and then with a friend. He seemed to have grown up a bit. And the people he works with are much more mature than he is, and I think that is helping him learn as well. I must say he has been much more pleasant to be around since he moved back in after the kidney stone issue. 

• Like 2

I went to the house this morning to move some more boxes around. :rolleyes:   I was able to squeeze into one of the spare bedrooms and go through a few things. I found out that I had already sorted through most of the papers and things some time ago so there wasn't too much new to sort through. I know that closet in there is full though. I still can't get to it. I got rid of three old scanner/printers.  I disassembled an old desktop computer and labeled where the monitor, keyboard and mouse plugins are supposed to go. I don't even know if it will still work or not. I'm only keeping it until I can see what all I have left on my floppy disks. Probably nothing important or else I would have missed it by now. But it might be fun to see what I thought was important 20 years ago. If it wasn't for that I would have pitched it. It's sooo heavy. I have the big computer cart I used that I hope I can talk the guys into putting in their dumpster. I couldn't get to it when 1-800-gotjunk guys were there. I'll bet if it was put on the street someone would want it. That's an option I suppose.

I noticed someone had been there to remove the rest of the parquet flooring in the walk in closet. Also there is some plywood stacked in the garage. I assume it's for the subflooring. If it is, they are going to need a whole lot more. Project Manager (P.M.) said they are being held up by the city for permits. I know that office is slow but this is ridiculous. I wonder if I went down there to plead my case if it would help or hinder the situation. Being a woman would probably hinder the situation. I remember Carlene the great dane lady said that when she talked to her city planners they told her she was 'just a woman and out of her league'.  Harsh.

Anyway, they brought a dumpster while I was there. P.M. said they would start to get the three vanities and three sinks and three toilets out of there next week. Also the kitchen sink and counter top in the garage. All of those things removed will help a lot. Especially getting the bedrooms cleared out. 

My kitchen appliances also arrived. I suggested we have them stored in the family room instead of the garage. That was a good move because they are HUGE. It would taken up the rest of the garage area. I bought a package deal online so I didn't see them first. Good thing we are getting the cabinets ordered around the appliances and not the other way around. Hope that refrigerator doesn't stick out too far. into the doorway.  :o

My spinning wheel was really in need of a good cleaning and polishing. Luckily I still had the cleaning supplies there at the house. I was almost finished when I slid my hand up under the wheel and it removed the belt that operates it. I really didn't want to do that! There is a special way it goes on and I couldn't figure it out. If I remember correctly :rolleyes:  you have to make a figure 8 pattern or something. Sigh. Will have to Google that this weekend. Might have been for the best because I need another belt and now I can measure it. I found out last week that the place where I bought it is out of business now so guess I'll have to Amazon it. 

Then I had a good day at the recycle dumpster. I only had a couple of boxes and some packing paper. A lady who looked older than me, was struggling to get her boxes in. She was complaining about how some people don't break down their boxes and just throw them in there and it takes up all the room. There are signs all over saying to not leave them whole. All you have to do is slice the tape from the bottom and fold them over. Makes me mad when people do that too. Anyway, we sort of helped each other with the boxes and she said, "Way to go girlfriend. we did it!" Then we gave each other a high five. It was kinda cute if I do say so myself. Two old women bucking up. It made my day and she went away laughing. It's those little things...

• Like 4

Jeepers at least something is starting to happen. Even though they are waiting on permits there are still things they can do.  

I just took a much-needed break. GS gone to work, and I got that bookcase out of pantry and into the closet in the front bedroom. I love when a plan comes together. That is now out of the way and no longer going to sit in the hallway in front of that bedroom door. Been going through the books and getting those back into the bookcase. I forgot how tiresome moving books can be. I am halfway there moving books from one room to another. Will finish up after dinner. That is in oven. GS loves chicken so chicken it is. Haven't fixed rice in a long while so think I will do that as well. Not sure what else I want with it yet. But at least I can get into my pantry now to look around. 

• Like 4

Been really busy today. GS helped me get that last shelving unit up in the front bedroom. That is the one I will use for my craft and sewing stuff. Thought I better put it together now as GS moves into his apartment next Friday. With gas now at $3.79 and climbing and him living in Norfolk, I didn't want to wait to get the help to put it up with gas being that high. Best to do it while he is still living here. So that is the last of 6 shelving units I have up and using now. 5 being in my makeshift pantry. All has worked really well for what I needed. Been moving boxes of things into the proper place and have everything almost organized and all together like it needed to be. Got the squash I canned a couple of days ago in pantry now and put away. Much needed break and some ice water to drink. 

My knee is doing better but still hurts to get up and down. Might be looking at a cortisone injection. Not looking forward to that. But it is what it is. 

• Like 3

Jeepers glad some things are getting done even though you are waiting for the permits. 

Littlesister glad you got the books moved.

Miki hope you found something fun at the sale.

Today I went to our local farmers market for the first time, not a lot there because it's the Balloon Fest weekend and most of the vendors are at the bigger venue at the park. But I picked up some onions and peppers and local honey and a Porthos houseplant and found out about the local gardening club which has meetings once a month on Thursdays so I will probably check that out. Came home and chopped and froze the onions and peppers and made some cranberry dump chicken and put that in the freezer. Then I went out to turn over the garden. Pulled up the squash, cucumber and zucchini and pumpkin vines that were done producing, did some weeding and then it got too hot so I called it a day. Hoping to plant some fall garden crops tomorrow. Will have to water really good because it's supposed to be super hot and dry for the next week. 

• Like 4

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/817333032394160990/

Salmon loaf that I made, yesterday.  Very good!

10 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

Miki hope you found something fun at the sale.

Thanks, but not one thing.  Unusual.

@Littlesister, glad you are getting your home back organized.  It feels so much better!

Today should be easy. Church first.
Walk dogs.
Wash sheets, blankets and dog blankets.
You all have a good week!

• Like 3

Not doing a lot today. knee is still hurting to walk. Just wish I knew what I did for it to start causing me issues. Cleaning out the rest of the front bedroom to get it ready for painting. I am back and forth on me painting it and trying to do the trim work or just spend the money and let a painter do the job. Right now, I am leaning on hiring a painter. Just don't want to spend the money on one. But painting at the baseboard requires me being on my knees and I don't think my knee is going to be happy. Put an icepack in freezer and going to try cold instead of heat. Hopefully that will help. 

Starting to move things out of living room to get to the kitchen table and then getting GS to help move it to the den before Friday. Friday is moving day for him. It is going to be hard because he has to be at work Friday at 4pm. So, he won't get much sleep. He is going to stay at my house Friday night to ride with me to GD's house for baby shower on Saturday. Just hope he will get up in time. Don't know why they have the hours from 12:00 to 3:00. But it is what it is.  At least I am not the one this time doing a shower for someone. Don't have the energy for that anymore. GD and I are going out to lunch either Wednesday or Thursday. She is checking her work schedule for her day off. Otherwise just a slow day. Hoping to get back to church next month on a more regular bases once things calm down around here.  Need to get back on my Schule instead of everyone else's Schule.  Then maybe I can finish getting house back together and not having to be quiet for GS to sleep during the day. Working nights suck to say the least. He has no life to get out and do things when working nights like he is. But it is by his choice on the night work. 

• Like 2

You all have been busy bees.  :thumbs:

Me?  Went to TX.  MIL wanted to eat out, specifically at a couple of restaurants, ‘sit down’.  One, was advertised on TV, we went, she was excited.  However, I couldn’t even push my fork through the crust or meat and we couldn’t even cut it with a knife!  She asked about another flavor, because it was “all you can eat”.  We were told he had to finish the first huge first plate before they could bring more.  (  Yes, I did send a nasty review/report to their corporate office!  It was horrible.)  I had to cut the hard coating off mine, it was terrible . Over cooked, hard as a rock and hardly any ‘sauce’.  For boneless hot wings, and I couldn’t taste the sauce!!??  I even asked for more sauce & was told “No”. You have to eat everything on the first plate before you can try another flavor, and they refuse to let you have any extra sauce .  Really??? ( 3-5 business days, IF they reply. ) Of the 12 boneless wings they brought Mom, she ate 3.  The ad suggests a variety plate, with extra dipping sauces, that is not what we got.  

DH suggested I leave a review on Yelp…but I thought I would scold their corporate office first.  Then, I might go to Yelp.  :blink:  People have to pay so much, now days, to eat out, and if you can’t even eat the food, there is a problem.

Got her to do list done and watched; Let’s make a deal, the price is right, the Andy Griffith show, for hours, then, everybody loves Raymond marathon, then murder mystery marathon….”Monk” Marathon, then Golden Girls…which, going there every month, I think I’ve seen all those shows a dozen times, at least.

I am sick of the repetitive commercials….no I do NOT want to see a girl shaving her bikini line, I don’t want to see females in bras and underwear, or men running around in a towel, I do not want to see where you put your deodorant and how to apply it, I don’t want to see horror movie commercials….  Or a thousand commercials about medicines…..

I am very glad we don’t watch TV at home.  Can you understand STRESSED?

Home safe, PTL!!!!!  :amen:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

ETA:

As for the “forecast”. They have no idea what they are talking about. Period.  They said we were going to get flooded.  Signs on the road said rain, deep water and limited visibility.  I missed 3 small dust storms.  Not a drop of rain…

lol, I thought I was finally hitting rain, but it was a hive of honey bees, then, dust….  Very grateful I didn’t need to use the windshield wipers…mud, honey…yikes what a mess that makes….BTDT!  

DH secured our house, said we got a few sprinkles…and wind.  

BTW, anyone know how @Mt_Rider is doing?  Haven’t seen anything from her since Hilary ruined Maui.

• Like 2

I think we have all been wondering about Mt Rider, @Annarchy.  She has gone silent.

We need rain, badly here in SW MS!  Very dry and no relief in sight.

Walked first, this morning.
Fed dogs and cat, etc.
Will go to Lowe's first for kitchen window.
Aldi for some groceries.
Pick up a small Avon order.
My doc appt for results of CT for kidney stone.
TSC for dog food
Thrift store to drop off bag of clothes.
Home and rest.

• Like 2

Miki, I agree. Mt. Rider has gone silent. I just hope all her family in Maui are doing well. I know they are having a hard time of it, knowing how the fires affected their family and friends. I just hope it is nothing more than them trying to help out family and friends and that they are doing ok physically. I know Mt. Rider's DH has back issues and I thought Mt. Rider was doing much better in that since. But I am sure when she is ready, she will let us know they are all doing well. Keeping them in prayer. 

Went to doctor this morning for lab work. Then came home and started laundry and working to get front bedroom ready for painters. Then started packing up things for GS. 

Paid bills cleaned kitchen and now I am tired. Knee still bothering me but not as bad. I think I might have just strained it. More than likely when I was painting the closet. 

Now that I can get into my pantry and see what I have, I can start moving some things around in there. Working on making just a bit more room for the canning I will be doing in a couple of weeks when I have the house to myself again. I hate having to clean up behind people when I have things I want to start doing in the early morning. Just seems to mess my day up when I have to start late. But Friday is coming. 

• Like 3

I think Mt.Rider is just taking a break and trying to process everything happening on Maui. I hope she checks in soon to let up know how she is doing. :(

Glad you are home safe and sound Annarchy.  I get what you mean about TV. Funny but just last week I mentioned to the X that I've probably watched the TV in this hotel room a total of less than 10 hours. I can't stand the commercials either. All of these channels and nothing interests me. 

I do watch a lot of Youtube videos though. With TV I find myself trying to fast forward through the commercials and if I miss something, I try to rewind it. It doesn't work that way on the TV so I just don't watch it. Nothing on it worth watching anyway. Occasionally I will catch an Andy Griffith, Little House or Waltons show. Maybe a King Of The Hill if I'm in the mood. But usually not. 

Sometimes when I'm at home I will let it run just for background noise though. I don't like a quiet house. Mostly because of the tinnitus, but even then I usually have the radio on.  

Miki, I hope you get good results from your kidney scan!  

Littlesister, we posted at the same time...I hope your lab work turns out well too! 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

I sure hope Mt.RIder is ok.  She usually posts frequently.

We are under that heat dome until Friday. It will feel like 110 on Wednesday. Yikes! Another forum I go to is mainly folks from Texas. They have been living like this for well over a month. What misery.

You ladies do so much. I envy your mobility. I am thankful that I can at least transfer by myself.  Since I live alone I don't know what I would do if I couldn't do that. I hope I don't fall.  As fat as I am, I would probably bounce pretty good!

I usually leave the tv on but seldom watch it.  I guess I like the background noise. I don't have cable but I do stream alot of free stuff.  Pluto tv has many  educational documenteries.  I am learning so much about WW1 and 2. I do have Peacock for one year since they had a 99 cents a month special.

Still eating on my veggies. I have had squash a million different ways but I still love it. There were so many cherry tomatoes that I roasted them with spices and packaged them in little freezer bags.  I add one when I made soup or spaghetti.  The flavor is so intense!

I hope everyone's health improves. It makes life tough when you are in pain or ailing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2