MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Green praying mantis live in bushes, flowers and such. The brown ones live on the tree trunks which are brown. That is the reason for the difference in colors. Though there are 25 different species of them.  Never had one to bite me though.

I am taking it easy today. Right now, my knee is not hurting. Only when I first get up from sitting. And that is localized to the side of my knee. I am thinking I may have a torn meniscus.  Will just rest it and hope it will heal.  I started taking Aleve over Advil and that seems to be helping better. 

Just doing small things around house today. Not taking any more chances on moving heavy things till I'm sure it has healed.

You are right Jeepers, nothing worse than stepping in puppy pee in your bare feet. Been there done that.  I love cats but can't do the little box thing anymore either. 

• Like 2

I got up and out early today. Thursday is usually housekeeping day so I try to be gone and out of the way. Turns out they didn't come. Not that I mind about the housekeeping but I could have stayed in the room. But, I got my rations stocked up for the coming week. It was expensive but then I remembered I bought 2 pair of shoes. I have had good luck with Wal-Mart shoes. I think they are called Avia. I left them in the car so I'm not sure. Anyway plain white tennis shoes for $20.00. I think the inner souls are memory foam. Anyway, I didn't really need them but it's hard to find size 7 1/2 at Wal-Mart and most of their shoes are wide width which I don't need. With what I have, I won't need to buy shoes for a couple of years now. I found them.  Avia Women's Elevate Athletic Sneaker, Wide Width Available - Walmart.com

I wanted to go to Salvation Army and Goodwill to look for a sweater or jacket for this fall but I already went to the store and had frozen food and ice cream. I didn't think that one through very well. I have plenty of time though. It will give me some place to go to tomorrow incase housekeeping comes. I keep the room clean so all they really have to do is restock the bathroom towels and change the bed linen. I do my own dishes. They do a lot more than that but they really don't have to. I'm not picky. 

I checked my bank statement and all of the hotel charges have come off of my card. All $7,853.32 of it. :0327:  I stopped by the house and there were guys there laying some subfloor. It was a beautiful sight! Hopefully they will keep at it. One of the best things was the old toilet is no longer setting in the front room bay window. Pretty sure the neighbors are glad of that. Don't know why it never dawned on me to move it myself. I could have scooted it over I suppose.  :misc-smiley-231:

• Like 2

Why do we call this a service economy?  Look at all the troubles we have with doctors, insurance, repair folks etc. I know I spend alot of my time undoing other folks mistakes

I know a man who is still waiting for his car insurance settlement from a wreck 4 years ago.  His lawyer will get %45!!!  It wasn't a huge amount and no one was seriously hurt but it did cost him some time off work and minor injuries. He also lost his van. He has been through a bunch and it wasn't even his fault. I think they were hoping he would die since he is over 70 years old.

Our week long heat system finally broke yesterday.  It was actually 63 degrees when I woke up this am.  How nice.

Edited by Momo
  • Like 4

That's great news Jeepers so glad that $ is off your account! 

Miki would you share your coleslaw recipe? I want to learn how to make it.  

Littlesister that's neat I never knew there were more than one type of praying mantis!

Momo so glad it's cooling off for you! It was a bit cooler here today as well.

Ambergris I'm sorry you're dealing with puddles. Not sure what options they have there but I have my dog trained to use a pee pad in a dog litter box. She is so tiny it works for us but I know with a bigger dog you may just have to wait until she's mature enough to hold it at night. 

The mosquitos have become relentless every time I go outside. I need to get that "tiny pond" aka stagnant water/mosquito breeder off my property. I have tried the mosquito dunks but they are clearly not working. I had 6 of them on my hand when I noticed out in the garden and I was only there a few minutes. The project list just keeps getting longer.

I spent my day yesterday and today working on home business plans. I bought a website and set up an LLC corporation (I used LegalZoom) and I'm going to learn all the things. It's an investment to teach my son how to do websites and SEO, and affiliate marketing and hopefully to set up an online shop. He just isn't finding his own direction so I'm going to at least insist he learn this with me, along with taking an online class. I also am hoping I can get my husband back up and "working" a few hours a day. I am not expecting much just hoping to have it pay for itself and give him something to put on his resume. But you never know :) It even comes with it's own YouTube channel so I'm going to learn to do that too. I like to learn new things so it will be fun if nothing else. 

• Like 4

Momo, I agree. Insurance companies are so slow to pay. And there is no service for anything these days. Just simple things like scheduling and returning phone calls are rare these days. Forget about trying to get people to show up too. I don't know if people are just lazy or if they are unable to figure out what is expected of them. 

Also true about them trying to wait some of us older folks out. I know a woman and her service dog who were actually electrocuted by an elevator that had water on the floor. Something shorted out. It knocked both her and her dog on their butt. Her lawyer actually told her to forget about suing because at her age, they would keep stalling until she was dead. She was/is in her 80's. True story.

And paying a lawyer is one reason why I haven't sued anyone over my housing/insurance situation. It wouldn't do any good. It would just cost me more money to go up against the team of corporate lawyers they have at their disposal. All I've got against them is "they are slow". They will say they are following protocol. Their protocol stinks but it is true. I would have to sue the insurance company, the bank, the company who makes my hotel reservations, the city I live in for permits and a slew of other people. The only one who has been decent is my contractor's company and they are just starting. Give them time. LOL Maybe that's why they have so many different companies involved in one case. So if you go after one you will have to go after them all. I don't have that much money to hand over nor do I want to wait years for a resolution. That would happen I know. It's been 8 long months but in legalese, that's a  blink of an eye. To be fair (I hate to) they have given me everything I have asked for. Just s-l-o-w-l-y. I come here and gripe to you guys and wait. I truly thank God for each and everyone of you ladies for letting me come here and vent and for commiserating with me!  If I had to have kept it all inside I would probably be institutionalized by now. Seriously. :hug3:  I think their aim was to wait me out too. Get me all at my wits end and offer me anything just so I would be grateful for the crumbs they would throw at me. I get fired up every time I think about them. 

Littlesister, makes sense about green praying mantis living in green areas and brown ones living in wooded areas. The back of my property is all woods. BTW, have you tried those furniture sliders when you have to move furniture around in the house? They are 'supposed' to work on both hard surfaces and carpeted surfaces. I have some but haven't had an opportunity to try them.  

Becca_Anne, I hate mosquitoes too. When I get a bite the area swells up to about the size of a nickel and itches insanely. Please keep us posted on website building! Who knows, maybe some of us will hire Ben to do a website for us! Ben is so lucky he has a momma who will take the time and use her resources to find what suits him best! He is so young yet. He will find his way. I think it was easier back in the day when we didn't have so many choices. :shrug: 

• Like 4

Jeepers, I do have the gliders to move furniture. They work really well. But the desk I can only move down the hall so far and then I have to lift it up on end onto an old rug and pull it around the corner into the room. That is because the desk is deep and wide. But it will go through there as I also took it. out. I am waiting till knee is better as I have the desk, sewing machine table and 2 other bookcases. Plus, a dresser and a small 2 drawer cabinet that I put material in. That is a lot to move with a bad knee. GS may be over this weekend, and I might get him to help me. One thing about him. Over the past 2 years with all I have gone through to get him in the right mind set and delt with his mess, he will help me. He came by house today before going to work. He was heading out for an interview for a parttime job and the roads all the way around the area was closed due to flooding. So, he called them to let them know he couldn't get through. Of course, they knew it was blocked so they are setting up another interview when things clear up. He did have his rent money all along and was just testing us to see if me or his mom would help pay the rent. Glad we both said no. So, he is now thinking things through and looking to get a part time job. At least now he is seeing that your wants do not come before your bills. He will learn the hard way, but he will learn. Said he is coming over Friday after work also. But After work for him is just after 1am. I am usually in bed. So, guess I won't be going to bed early tomorrow night. He is also thinking about changing from working nights to going to the day shift. But not sure if he will do that or not. Only time will tell. 

Knee is still sore, but I am able to walk on it more normally now. The side of it hurts a bit to walk and I have noticed I need to be careful how I turn as it feels like something is trying to twist in the side of the knee, if that makes any since. 

Jeepers, from what you are saying that could be very true. Age will play out and not to the good.  But the lawyers are always the ones who win anyway. I never realized you would have to go down the whole chain to get the house fixed. Not worth that. And at least now they are starting on the house to get somethings done. I just hope it all goes smoothly and fast. 

Becca Anne the mosquitos have gotten bad here as well. All the rain we have gotten hasn't help that situation. Rained here all-night last night into this morning. The mosquitos are really bad around here. Can't go outside early morning without getting bit nor in the early evening without getting bit. 

• Like 3

I misunderstood about your son Becca_Anne. I assumed you were talking about Ben. I forget you have other children. :sEm_blush:  My opinion still stands. Your kids are lucky they have you for a mom. Same goes for OOTO. You two are great home schoolers. I'm sure others here are too but I just don't know about them. 

How is your friend settling in? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Becca Anne, I also was thinking you were talking about your son Ben. Not your older son. I do think it is great that you are helping him with home business plans and such. I do hope that helps him with a great job. You have done great with homeschooling those children. 

My GS is also a bit autistic. But he is also one who hates reading and will not listen to anything. He is mostly ADHD. He is a smart child but his refusing to listen and pay attention has messed him up in his ability to learn how to handle money, and he is not a people person which doesn't help either. But he is now learning that he has to deal with people to work a good job. As for money, he is working on it. Seems his only goal in life is to be a computer game designer. He needs schooling for that, and he hates school, Is not college material. He just won't sit down to study for something like that. Let alone anything else. He tried less than one year of college and dropped out within 6 months. He is not going to sit still long enough to study. 

Just can't sleep. Been up and down out of bed all night. So, here I am up but not really ready to do anything yet this morning. I have nights like that sometimes but at least it isn't often. Just a lot on my mind with getting things done around the house. I did get the den fully cleaned up but still need to clean the patio window. Will get that done sometime this morning before the sun hits back of house. Not sure what else I will do today as it will depend on how my knee is doing. I might next week try to just call an orthopedic doctor to see if I can get in without a referral.  

• Like 1

Already walked.
Pulled out burger, brats, and chops to thaw.
Going to help a friend at a little cafe for a couple of hours.
Come home and make up burgers to grill tomorrow.
Marinate chops.
Purge my coats in bedroom closet.

16 hours ago, Becca_Anne said:

Miki would you share your coleslaw recipe?

I'm making the recipe from a pizza place I used to work at-Frankie's Pizza in FL  It's a sweet mayo based slaw that was served on a hot ham and cheese sub and toasted.

Small head of cabbage- sliced or shredded

One cup of sugar- more or less

About one cup- maybe a little less of mayonnaise

One tablespoon of Ital dressing

One teaspoon of dill pickle juice

One teaspoon of lemon juice

Salt as needed

Sorry about the lack of measurements.  It kind of depends on the size of the cabbage.

Sorry about the amounts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Miki I think that should work just fine, adjust amounts to taste works for me :) 

Jeepers you are making good progress even if you think you should be getting more done. Babysteps will get you there!

Littlesister hope your knee starts improving. Life is always a bit more challenging with an injury like that. :hug3:

Have one mission today, going to sand and seal the threshold for our front door today. We had that replaced but they didn't seal it and I want to do that before winter is here!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard there is a nasty virus going around and I sure don't want it. I'm having some intestinal issues today. Only three times on the pot and I already have what my son and D-ex calls "the raspy a$$" Gives a greater appreciation for babies who suffer with diaper rash.  :( Luckily I have a  little travel size sprinkle box of corn starch. If it ain't one end it's the other. :grinning-smiley-044:

For the past few months I've been deciding on funeral songs. Getting my finances in order has got me thinking. I thought about traditional hymns. But I know the type of people that will be at the viewing. Don't get me wrong, they are hymn lovers too. Especially country hymns. But I wanted something a little less traditional and personal where they would actually listen to the words. Most people would guess the Rolling Stones as I adore them. "Paint It Black, Sympathy For The Devil, Miss You, Waiting On A Friend, She's So Cold, It's All Over Now, Dead Flowers". Oh, I could on and on! But I don't think so. I'm not that cruel. So after much thought I have decided on...Willie Nelson. I like him okay but not a real fan so it's kind of surprising. But I do like some of his songs. So far I have chosen four five. That's probably enough. Maybe one more. No, not "On The Road Again!"  :24:  I'm starting with I Am The Forest, Who'll Buy My Memories, Something You Get Through, It Gets Easier and ending with I'll Be Seeing You. Bet there won't be a dry eye in the house. 

Anyway. I looked up those songs and which albums they are on and checked with my library system and 3 different branches within about 5 miles from me have them all. So that was my next trip today. This weekend I'll download the songs and get them on a CD. That is if I can remember how to do it. I have a program...somewhere. 

I went to Salvation Army and Good Will today. Didn't find any sweaters or jackets. Suppose I'll have to order one. I did find 3 books that I shouldn't have bought. They are really too big. I'm supposed to be scaling back. One is a Betty Crocker microwave book and another is a huge Encyclopedia of Gardening. Close to 700 pages. Both are big and heavy. The other one was by Andrew Morton about Princess Diana. Don't know why I bought it. At one time I wanted to read it so I guess that was in the back if my mind. Will donate it back after I read it. All three were about $7.00.

While at the Good Will I saw a car! Not just any car. This one was tricked out for Halloween. I parked next to it and took some pictures. I've never seen a car like that. The pictures don't do it justice. It was awesome. It was all decked out on the inside too. There were two red eyes that lit up on the skulls by the windshield. The dude was just as awesome too. I find the strangest stuff. I got my stranger hug quota for the day too. :hug3:

Front                                                                                                 Back

image.jpeg      image.jpeg

Side                                                        Gun door handles with handcuffs hanging down

image.jpeg     image.jpeg

Window                                                                       My old hooptie next to a real car.

image.jpeg     image.jpeg

Owner

image.jpeg

Edited by Jeepers
That was 5 songs not 4. Sigh
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wow, as witnessed up above, my picture taking skills really suck.

But, I just got a call from someone and they are sending out an inspector to inspect the electrical work on Tuesday between 1:00-3:00. I'm not sure if I need to be there or not. At first she said yes and then I gave her the lockbox number so we aren't sure now. But I'm going! I don't want to chance any more delays. At first I got excited and thought that was fast. Then I remembered they did that electrical work over 2 months ago. Slow and steady wins the race...I hope!

• Like 4

Love the car. That is just too funny. Yes, the Zombies are coming. For Halloween at least.  Glad to see progress finally starting on your house. Things should start moving better after the electrical and plumbing city inspections are done.

GS got a part time job. He starts Monday. That will help him a lot to get his act together and learn to balance his bank account. He is at least trying now. He came over here again today before going to work at about 1pm. I fixed us some lunch and he stayed till time to go to work. More than likely he will be here over weekend as well. State police pulled him over for his expired license. He said the police asked if he knew why he was pulled over and he said yes but for him to tell him why. Police told him his license was expired and GS showed his Washington License and said he just moved and hasn't had a chance to take care of it. Not really, he's had 2 years to take care of it and was too lazy to go do it. Anyway, police just told him to take care of it as soon as possible and let him go. No ticket. He got caught on the interstate in Norfolk. He had to go around because the tunnel was backed up. 

So not a lot done today. Knee is about the same as yesterday. Just emptied dishwasher, maid bed and that has been about it. Other than fixing lunch for both me and GS. He has left for work a little while ago. But once he starts his part time job he won't be coming here before going to his full-time job, as he will be working from 11am till 2pm. Then off to work which starts at 4pm but he likes to start at 3:30 for a little extra pay each week. I think he might be starting to get the idea that he must pay his bills on time. 

• Like 2

Jeepers so glad the inspection is happening for you!

Littlesister Hope the extra work helps your GS pay his bills and he gets that license updated. Watching young people struggle to adult is hard. 

Got 4 eggs today so my girls are starting to earn their keep. We have a full 18 egg carton and a half now, will make Quiche tomorrow to freeze and hardboil some :feedme:

• Like 4

Becca Anne that is great that you are finally getting eggs. Things are coming along really well for you now. I need to get outside knee or no knee and start taking care of garden and flower beds. Time to pull up the squash plants and such. Going to try do some of that tomorrow morning. If my knee holds out, I will be outside most of the day playing catch up. I just have to remember to pull my cart out of garden shed so I can use it to pull up on. The knee makes it hard to get up from the yard. 

• Like 1

Yikes! I woke up at 4 without an alarm.

Will walk first.
Make a baked jalapeno popper dip.
Make baked beans.
Grill burgers, chops, brats and hot dogs.
Pick up my friend so she can eat with us. Have another couple of people coming over, too.
Take my friend home and drop off a plate for a couple of shut in folks.
Get everything put away and rest.

That looks like a Beetlejuice car @Jeepers!  I'm happy that things are starting to move on your house repairs, too!

I'm happy your chickens are starting to lay regularly @Becca_Anne

It sounds like your GS may be waking up @Littlesister.  I pray that is the case.

• Like 2

I'm on dog duty today. So went over to let dog out. Then came back and was going to work on yard, but here comes the yard man. So will wait till he is done. Then I am going back out to finish up out there. Pulling weeds. Checked the garden as well. Picked more cucumbers and okra and a couple of tromboncino squash. I will be pulling up the other squash plants and such as those are done. Haven't checked the tomatoes yet, but they are slowing down a lot now. Will probably have a few green tomatoes soon. Yard is a mess right now. Lots to do out there. 

Next week I will start moving the furniture back into the front bedroom and get sewing machine and things hooked back up. Then go through the craft things and get that organized and put away. Then go out to shed and move things to get to that material and bring it in. Need to get hold of Euphrosyne to get a lot of the material I will never use. I haven't seen her on here in a long while. 

• Like 1

Been pulling weeds that are now up to my knees. Mainly it is not weeds but grass. I watched the guy cutting my grass earlier this morning and he is facing the flower beds with the grass blowing right into the flower beds. So, I am going to talk to him before he cuts it again. He needs to either bag it or face the part of mower toward the street side. I got some of it pulled up but have aggravated my knee. These beds have never been like this before. It won't be easy to get it done. So might take up the flower bulbs and spray the grass. It would be easier than what I am doing but I don't like using weed killer. I could hire someone but right now I need to build up my emergency fund again. So, for me that just isn't an option right now. GS hasn't been over today as he is working on getting the rest of apartment together and washing clothes. If he comes over tomorrow, I know he will help me get it done. He likes doing yard work and gardening. I would rather pay him than hire someone to do it. My yard guy only cuts grass, edges and blows everything off. Might think about next year checking prices on a full-time yard man to do all of it. Going to work on the bigger garden area as soon as I pull up all the plants. Didn't get the squash plants pulled up yet as I started in the flower beds first. They are the worst. Need to get some mulch as well to put down. Just too much to get done both inside house and outside. Not easy when you have to do it all by yourself. DD and SIL will be down next weekend, but they won't be helping me. They will be helping GD and her DH set up the baby's room. Don't even know if she is coming by here or not. But she already told me the weeds will die eventually. Yes, they will and will just come back up early next spring for me to deal with. So, either way I need to get it done. Let the dog out again an hour ago. Not letting her back in for another hour. It's much cooler today. So, it will do her some good to get fresh air. Going to rest a bit and then work on inside of house. Need to get the blinds down in front bedroom and washed. Then wash windows and clean down the walls. I decided not to paint this year. Just too much going on. Next year is another season to get things finished up. I need the break. 

• Like 1

I think Euphrasyne is taking a little internet break. Something we all could benefit from, from time to time. Speaking for myself that is. Anyway, try to message her from here and she will probably see it. Don't know if she needs material or not but her daughter is a beautiful sewer so I'm sure it would be used and appreciated.

I'm just hanging around at the hotel. Plenty of internet stuff I could be doing. We are supposed to get up to 80 today. A warm spell. LOL  Possibly up to 90 Monday and Tuesday. About time we had a summer. I would have liked to have gone over to Indy to see son's new house this coming week and to help them pack up a little, but I have to be here for an electrical inspection on Tuesday. It had better pass!

Of course I'm getting another UTI. What's up with that?!  I've tried oregano oil and the AZO (can't think of the ingredient right now) and they aren't working. OTC stuff just doesn't work for me. :sigh:  I've been on them both for over a week now. The oregano oil seems to help a little bit with the pain for a short period of time though and it doesn't knock out the infection. I forgot this was a holiday weekend so Dr. office will be closed. When everything is fine, I forget to search for my cipro. I think it's in Indy anyway. I'm going to order another batch right now. Wonder what is going on with this. Maybe lack of exercise etc. living in this hotel. Different toilet paper? Could that cause it. I think I'm drinking plenty of liquid. I sort of got on to that Propel flavor water. Crimony. 

• Like 2

My son used to blow the clippings toward the barked areas in the yard too. WHY! Impossible to get those little clippings out of bark/mulch. I had to remind him every time too. Or he would blow it toward the driveway and I have to sweep it up and bag it up. When I did it if I got too many clippings in the driveway I'd just run the mower up and down the driveway a couple of times to blow it all away. It's a riding mower for pity sake not like we had to use a push mower. I'll be glad when I don't have to pay my lawn guy in Ohio anymore. I really like him a lot but it's so expensive. I think I pay more than it's worth but what are you going to do? Either pay him or have the city breathing down my back. And believe me, they do over here. BTDT. I'm going to have to hire someone in Indy to clear out my property over there. Over grown doesn't come close to describing it. I'm thinking about doing it this fall after some of it has died down so they can actually see what's all in there. It's that bad right now. Luckily the neighbors haven't complained...yet. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Wonder what is going on with this.

You might want to look into IC.  Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a chronic bladder condition resulting in recurring discomfort or pain in the bladder or surrounding pelvic region.  I have had it for many years and it can feel much like an infection.  The disease often follows a virus or bacteria like Covid or Lyme disease (as mine did).  Unfortunately the OTC like AZO do not work for everyone.  Stress and certain foods can trigger the symptoms that feel like an UTI.  Tomatoes and many fruits do it to me every time but other foods can as well.  You might want to do some research. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1