MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Newbie/Reformed Sheeple

Abigail

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around this site for quite awhile and have really learned a lot from all of you...thanks so much for that.

Like I titled this post, I am a reformed sheeple. I hope that makes a better prepper, eventually! One word for what got my attention: Katrina. I live in the "disaster zone" but am trying my best to "bug out" of here! Thank God, we were relatively lucky with respect to damages, but were woefully unprepared to deal with the extended supply disruptions.

I've lived in this region for my entire life, and thought I knew how to prepare for hurricanes; I've evacuated numerous storms and ridden them out as well; experienced the "eye" of Hurricane Betsy as a child too. Nothing prepared us for the realities of Katrina. You'd better believe I'm of the same mind as all of you when it comes to emergency preparedness now!

Looking forward to getting acquainted with all of you.

Abigail americanflagflowersmilie

Welcome to the family, Abigail.

It will be interesting to see your perspective of what worked and what didn't work as far as being prepared through Katrina. There is something about a big disaster to help us understand just how under prepared we can be.

bighug

welcome6 I join the crowd to welcome you Abigail. Please, grab a snack and make yourself comfortable. I join the rest in wanting to hear what worked and didn't work when TSHTF. We're all here to learn and to help. That's what makes this place to great. I'm glad you aren't lurking any longer, it's nice to meet you.

bighug

balloons Wecome Abagail balloons

Nothing like Experiencial Learning to get right in your face with realities, huh? We all share our Experiencial Learning...as you know if you've been reading here. So...c'mon...tell! Tell! wink

MtRider

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I'm not sure where to post about a topic like this...I guess in either "Are you really prepared" or "the edge?" Although I've been a lurking vulture around here for awhile now, it's different navigating when you're actually posting, I'm learning.

Feel free to move my posts around if I mess up. OK, remember you asked for it wanting to know about Katrina!! I'm afraid I don't know where to stop when it comes to discussing that topic. Like 911, it was an eye-opening, life altering wake-up call and it affected every area of life. Just feel free to kick me if I ramble on too much!!

See you in "are you really prepared"....

Abigail

Now that's what I like to see.. This gal has been here 1 whole day now and she's already posted 12 times! You go girl! Oh and welcome to the looney bin! And that is one adorable dog you have for your avitar!

Welcome Sister-mine!!!!

I'm so glad you're here, and since we both looked Betsy and Katrina in the eye, we have lots and lots in common...BOY DO WE!

I grew up first in New Orleans, then spent 17 years in the Lafitte/ Barataria area, then back to New Orleans (French Quarter) for my "finishing school" years. LOL!

Judging by your posts, you are a New Orleanian too?

BTW, wondermous posts! I'm headed back there, after here...

--Sharon

Thanks; I aim to please...I also can't seem to shut up about some topics! The avatar is actually just one I came across that looks just like my mini dachshund Dixie; she's the best of both worlds; a cuddly lap dog AND a fearless guard dog who has super sharp hearing and WILL confront strangers...and a five pound bag of dogfood lasts a month!

Abigail

Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel at home here already. (I should, consider how long I've been a stowaway here...)

Yeah, I was born in New Orleans; spent my preschool years uptown/lakeview; later lived in Lafayette and Houma so does that qualify me as a "Cajun" too?? The farthest north I've lived is Baton Rouge (LSU); Westbank some too; also Metairie/Kenner. Northshore now.

Glad you're enjoying my contributions; heaven only knows I've leeched enough from this site without doing so before....

I sure hope you and yours were as fortunate during Katrina (and Betsy) as we were.

Welcome Abigail-- Love that part of the country my mother was born in East Baton Rouge. I have spent a lot of time in and around New Orleans miss the food. I grew up in Florida and I know what you mean about storms. My theory is be prepared for anything, natural or otherwise. Be glad to hear your story.

Archived