MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cinnamon and blood sugar

Peg

I am always looking for natural ways to control blood sugar as there are several diabetics in my family. I thought this was a very interest link.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/conte.../26/12/3215?eaf

OBJECTIVE—The objective of this study was to determine whether cinnamon improves blood glucose, triglyceride, total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and LDL cholesterol levels in people with type 2 diabetes.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS—A total of 60 people with type 2 diabetes, 30 men and 30 women aged 52.2 ± 6.32 years, were divided randomly into six groups. Groups 1, 2, and 3 consumed 1, 3, or 6 g of cinnamon daily, respectively, and groups 4, 5, and 6 were given placebo capsules corresponding to the number of capsules consumed for the three levels of cinnamon. The cinnamon was consumed for 40 days followed by a 20-day washout period.

RESULTS—After 40 days, all three levels of cinnamon reduced the mean fasting serum glucose (18–29%), triglyceride (23–30%), LDL cholesterol (7–27%), and total cholesterol (12–26%) levels; no significant changes were noted in the placebo groups. Changes in HDL cholesterol were not significant.

CONCLUSIONS—The results of this study demonstrate that intake of 1, 3, or 6 g of cinnamon per day reduces serum glucose, triglyceride, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes and suggest that the inclusion of cinnamon in the diet of people with type 2 diabetes will reduce risk factors associated with diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.

Sorry I can't figure out how to make this a hyperlink. If someone else can that would be great. Thanks

Peg, thanks for posting this study. I'm hoping they will continue to do research on it and other herbs and spices as well.

A family member is a diabetic and I'm always on the lookout for something natural to help her. I told her about this some time ago but have not heard if she's added cinnamon to her diet yet. She's not into natural cures.

Another natural means for control they are suggesting is adding beans to the diet. THAT she does do as he doctor confirmed it for her.

Again, thanks

bighug

THANKS for this link. I printed it out to share with my doc and I'm going to take cinnamon supplements now. I have been diagnosed with high blood sugar and told if I lose weight, the blood sugar should go down. I've lost 6 pounds, and it's a little lower, and I've been walking every day. This cinnamon thing might be the thing that keeps me off meds.

I have also heard that blueberry leaf tea is good for regulating blood sugar. I'm going to try this also.

I asked mom about this today. She says you pick the leaves, wash and dry them, and then you dry the leaves and crush them up and use them like tea leaves. She used to put them in a tea ball. She originally did this for my dad when he was diagnosed at age 40 as diabetic. He managed to not need insulin for another 20 years afterwards. He combined the tea with proper diet. He was 60 by the time he needed insulin.

I was using cinnamon and it seemed to help (I fell off the diet a bit about the time we ran out). Then one morning DH and I took our morning meds together before he went to work. I looked down in my hand and had HIS blood pressure meds. He had taken my vitamins including my cinnamon. Trouble is he is ALLERGIC to cinnamon. He went on to work, but needed his inhaler by the middle of the morning. Next time we got vitamins, we "forgot" to get cinnamon. Need to get back on it, just pay more attention.

Last night I added cinamon to my tea, yummy. I was in chat and Leah suggested adding it to my coffee pot. 6 grams is about a teaspoon - not that difficult to do if you drink tea or coffee.

We joked about cinamon toast or such, but we all know better then having too much processed sugar!

Judy, thanks for posting about the blueberry leaf, now I have 2 good reasons to plant blueberries!

I have known my blood sugar is sensitive for about 5 years, I've been dealing with it by trying to avoid white flour and sugar though I crave them and eat them at times. Hopefully the cinamon will help the craving.

I'm diabetic and have managed to stay off meds or insulin for years now. I also use cinnamon in tea, sometimes coffee, and it really does help. I also use cinnamon in many cabbage dishes, an old Bahamian taught me that years ago.

http://www.centralbean.com/Beans_and_Blood.html

One cup of dried beans a day can reduce total cholesterol 19% and “bad” LDL cholesterol by about the same, according to investigators at the University of Kentucky. Eating beans regularly also lowers blood pressure, exports report.

The same amount of beans has the almost magical ability to control insulin and blood sugar levels so well that Type I diabetics (the kind who need daily shots of insulin) can reduce the amount of insulin by 38% or more. For Type II diabetics, the adult onset sufferers who do not produce enough insulin, legumes can virtually eliminate the need for insulin shots and often other diabetes drugs as well. What’s necessary is replacing meat with beans or peas as the source of protein in your diet, according to University of Kentucky authority Dr. James Anderson. The high content of gummy and pectin fiber produces the regulating effect.

-

Emphasis added by me.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

I had heard about this some time ago, so bought some capsules for Old Pine. I think he has forgotten about them, I think. Maybe I should just put them on the table at night when he is home and we both take them. smile His sugar count is a lot higher than mine, but, it couldn't hurt either of us to take them.

Now, I have to ask, are the capsules as good as if we just sprinkled it on some of the food???

I know what you mean, Stacy, I would love some cinnamon rolls too. One of these days, I may just have to make some. I know, we don't need them, but, once in a while we have to have something good. shrug

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-1.gif

I just went and bought a big BJ's size cinnamon. My blood sugar is far less annoying and the only thing I've done different for the past 3 days is to add a rounded teaspoon of cinnamon to my coffee pot. I'll be hanging out and reading in this thread all the time now. Thanks ladies!

Maybe I'll even be able to let hunger pangs decide when I eat instead of low energy being what drives me to the 'fridge. That could solve this *@% 40 lb weight problem.

From chat this morning - http://vonsachsen.blogspot.com/2007/09/den...olate-loaf.html

In folk medicine, blueberry leaf has been used to treat a number of conditions including urinary tract infections, diarrhea and diabetes.

Limited evidence from a few animal studies shows that it may have a decreasing effect on blood sugar. In at least one study, an extract of blueberry leaves may also have lowered cholesterol levels in laboratory animals. It has been shown in clinical studies to decrease some of the retinal damage caused by diabetes or high blood pressure. Additionally, blueberry may help to make the walls of blood vessels stronger by increasing collagen linkages. If you are lucky to find some leaves with berries on, than you have a tea rich in antioxidants .

Thank you for all the info! I've been adding cinnamon to the oatmeal every morning but not to the beans I eat almost daily for lunch!

I'm also going to check out the blueberry leaf tea. My plants are still small and new but they won't be in a year or two!

Thanks for all the great research!

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Wow, now we are to drink Blueberry tea too. Guess I'll have to see about that. I drink water and very little other, but, maybe I should start drinking a bit of this tea. smile

Thank you for the info. smile

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

My A1C was 6.8 - 6.9 Since I started taking cinnamon (a little over a year now) my A1C has dropped to 6.1

According to the doctor, an A1C between 6 and 7 is "pre-diabetic", over 7 is diabetic and under 6 is "normal".

I take 3 1,000 mg capsules of cinnamon a day.

Now if I could just lose some weight I would be all set.

Campy,

:woot: :woot: woohoo

Good for you on the blood sugar! My husband is diabetic and we find it DOES help his glucose control. When he doesn't take it, his bs will spike, sometimes by 50 or 60 pts or more.

I've heard people say that the quality of cinnamon doesn't matter, but as in all things, I believe the better regulated the herb, the better the product.

We get our cinnamon capsules from Gaia Herbs, their tincture of cinnamon is standardized in gel-cap form. It seems to be the best for us and no stomach upset. I order it by the half-dozen jars from Spring Valley Herbs. www.springvalleyherbs.com

I just learned that radishes can significantly lower blood sugar. (I happen to love radishes and eat them by the fistful)

ALso ginsing tea may help lower blood sugar. (I am so happy..I lost another 6 pounds and the doc says the computer analysis of my monitor results show I am 98.9 percent within target blood sugars now! (been taking cinnamon, eating radishes, sipping ginsing tea, walking two miles every day)

Archived