MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

Thank you Stephanie. Yes, that was what we did. Used artificial sinew that we had from beading hobby when DS made necklaces. We did string them thru the stem, but have not had a problem in the past with the stem pulling off. Someone at church suggested that each pepper should have a slit cut in it so the air can circulate, but we have not done that yet. The strings look so cool!

Dora

who really needs to check in more regularly.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salsa

more green beans!!! (returned the co-op lady's box from the tomatoes early this morning and she asked if I wanted to pick some beans. I never say no to extra produce!! Last load is in the canner now..and I'm not doing any more canning today after this!

I Lost Count! *cries*

About a dozen or so jars of peach pie filling.

Maybe 4 or 5 EACH of peach butter and peach jam.

A dozen jars of spaghetti sauce.

A dozen jars of peach BBQ sauce.

And then my neighbor (whose DH works for a packing plant) brought over two huge containers of pineapple and mixed fruit for us to 'help ourselves'. I told her that was tantamount to torture on a canning day. Can I prosecute for this? LOL

Today I need to finish canning plain ole peaches and watermelon rind pickles. Think I can catch a nap then?

8 pints Annie's salsa, 3 pints tomato sauce. If I'm up to it, I've got 14 pounds of chicken tenders to can this afternoon. It will be my first time pressure canning meat and only my second time using the pressure canner, so I hope it goes well!

Boy, raw pack is super simple! It's already going!

I have quart jars, and we normally consume 1 pound of boneless, skinless at a meal. So I decided to just try a raw pack for the first round, then a hot pack for the next round, since my canner only holds 7 quarts at one time and I've got enough meat to do two rounds.

The raw pack is in the canner now. Here's hoping it comes out great!

Yesterday I did:

18 pints of Annie's Salsa...extra tasty!

40 pints of tomatoes

25 pints of Elberta peaches

8 pints of blueberry pie filling

After sleeping 13 hours,

I am now preparing 35# of some less-than-pretty cukes (not pickle-worthy) for relish...

I've never canned SO MUCH STUFF in my life...but I'm having a ball!

Sometimes, though, I wish there were two of me. smile

Man, I can't figure out how some of you can multi-task so many canning projects in a day! If I get 20 qts tom sauce done in a day or whatever, I feel like I've used my whole day. It consumes my time.

So, though it may not sound like a powerhouse day, I got 2 batches of peach jam and 6 qts of canned peaches in addition to baking a peach cobbler. Sheesh, it's Sunday, I'm feeling pretty good about that! (wink wink)

Tomorrow I have bushels of tomatoes coming in from the garden! I found a new spaghetti sauce recipe I'll be making a lot of this year instead of plain tom sauce. It'll save time and makes a better prep item, me thinks.

weeklong total

15 qts tom sauce

12 qts spaghetti sauce

5 half pints tom paste

1 batch 3 day pickles

5 qts chili (though some didn't seal and went in fridge)

and the stuff listed up top.

Whew, now I feel better. No wonder I'm exhausted!

Archived