MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Organ Meat Cookery?

In my attempts to stretch our food dollar and not waste anything, (and spurred by the innards in the sale turkey) I came across this.

How to Eat for Less: The Secrets of Organ Meat Cookery By Lucille Sivley

http://www.motherearthnews.com/print-article.aspx?id=65366

---

Do any of you have recipes made with organ meats?

All I know is Liver and Onions, feeding them to the animals, or chopping them up into giblet gravy.

Any you should not try to use?

Dirty Rice

DIRTY RICE

½ lb ground pork

½ lb ground beef

1 lb chicken livers

2 TBSP flour

1 large onion chopped

1 large bell pepper chopped

1 cup celery

3 cloves garlic minced

2 cups white rice

1 ½ tsp tonys seasoning

1 tsp Tabasco

1 tsp Worcestershire

1 cup green onions minced

½ cup parsley finely minced

In large skillet over medium heat, add the pork and beef and sauté until the meat is browned. Add the chicken livers, reduce to medium heat and sauté, stirring often, for 10 minutes then add flour. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring constantly. The livers should be breaking apart and the meats well blended. Add the onion , bell pepper, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly. Turn the heat to low, cover, and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and mix serve hot.

Instead of the chicken livers you can also use turkey gizzards--it will turn out about the same.

This is the supreme meal stretcher down here in LA--it is very filling and very easy to make huge batches by doubling, etc.

I dislike tripe. I've had tripe I would eat to keep from starving, and tripe I'd have to think about for a week or two.

I don't like pork liver either. Considering what pigs get fed, and what the liver's function is, I feel fine feeding it to the critters. When we ate it years ago, we marinated it briefly in French dressing, cut it in thin strips, breaded it un spicy crumbs, and fried it in bacon grease. Cat meat would probably taste okay treated like that.

Brains are okay. Use them like tofu in egg scrambles, etc. If I'd always known about Scrapie and its variants, though, I would never have tasted my first bite of brain.

Tongue is okay--make head cheese with it. (Shut up, Trip!) Soak it for a day or two, then simmer it for a few hours (all day in the slow cooker), then peel and get rid of the crud from around the root. What's left is good. Spice it up, though.

Heart can be really, really good. Cut it in chunks, marinate overnight in milk or salt water, then fricassee. Serve over a pile of rice or on biscuits with lots of gravy.

Louisian Cornbread Dressing

giblets (gizzard, liver and heart)

2 cups finely chopped celery

1 1/2 cups shallots with tops cut fine

1/2 cup onion cut fine

4 TBSP butter

4 TBSP salt

1/4 tsp cayenne

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp celery seed

5 cups cornbread

6 slices toasted whole wheat bread

1/2 cup minced parsley

brind the gizzard and heart and simmer in a quart of water until tender

saute celery, shallots and onion in the butter until done

add 1/2 of the seasonings

mix well the cornbread and the toasted whole wheat bread which has been soaked in cold water and squeezed dry

combine the two mixtures, adding parsley and liver that has been minced, cooked giblets and as much of the juice from the giblets as is needed to make a moist dressing

add the rest of the seasonings

stuff into turkey

allow 8 cups of stuffing for a 10 pound turkey

Don't forget the periennial Texas favorite

Calf Fries

Dip frozen calf fries in hot but not boiling water. Leave 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and peel off outer membrane. Pat dry. Dip into a well beaten egg mixed with a small amount of milk. Then dip into flour seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, tonys seasoning, how ever you like to season. Dip back into the egg/milk, then back into the flour one more time. Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a large frying pan. fry the calf fries a few at a time until crisp and brown on both sides and drain on paper towels.

The is absolutly the BEST meat you will ever eat!!! feedme

Hog Maw......MMMmmmmm.

Pennsylvania Dutch Hog Maw

My grandma makes this and we even have had it for Thanksgiving instead of turkey.

I always thought it was a Mennonite dish, since I never heard of anyone else fixing hog maw. Then when I moved to New Mexico, I saw on spanish restaurant menus- Menudo

that uses tripe, pasole and chili in a soup.

My In-laws- Navajo- butcher sheep for special occasions. The only thing they don't eat is the sheep skin and the hooves. Brains, kidneys, eyeballs, intestines, liver and blood- all is used.

I make myself scarce during butchering...... sicksofa

I have had quit a few pms about the calf fries recipe...for those who are wondering calf fries are testicles--this can be made with any type of animal--deer, sheep, etc

Sweetbreads are yummy if you can get them, treat them like you do Rocky Mountain oysters.

I like Tongue, and heart. You can do them up in your pressure cooker with good results. I have a friend who pickles them...YUMMY!! (He uses a basic meat pickle recipe, I think.)Homemade headcheese is a treat! I wish I knew how to make it. ('Anyone have a recipe??)

I ended up with about 35 lbs of beef liver last year so I've done a lot of fried liver and onions, and also made a few batches of liverwurst.

It's my understanding thta for Kidney you first have to clean it well and remove all the fat and membranes, then soak it in milk for quite a long while. rinse it in cold running water then par boil it, switch the water and par boil some more, switch the water...etc until the smell is gone. I never could get rid of the stink the one time I tried it. shrug Guess I didn't do it right.

Fried chicken livers (especially with gravy and rice) is a big favorite in the south. I actually like them if cooked just right, but they are rich so I can't eat too many.

Raw chicken livers are great bait for catfish!

Chicken Giblets:

Dredge in flour, saute in butter with onion until golden brown. A little chewy, but oh so yummy. yumyum I used to get some hearts in the package with the giblets, but I haven't seen any in years. If you are so lucky, the hearts do not take as long to cook as the giblets.

Liverwurst recipe please, ol'momma ?

Do you need to save things in a freezer bag until there is enough to make something, or is there any recipe that can be made with what comes in just one turkey?

Can anyone tell I'm new at this?

- - - - -

Turkey neck, liver, heart, and gizzard.

turkeygiblets.jpg

# Preparation tips # Nutritional highlights

http://www.puritan.com/vf/healthnotes/hn_l...riety_Meats.htm

I'll have to cast my vote for fried livers. I get a craving for them every so often. I guess it's a southern thing, most likely from east of the Mississippi. DH and his family not only turn their nose up at them, they actually laugh about me eating them. Nothing wrong with the gizzard or heart either.

Momo, I live on a catfish farm and we can always tell when we've had "visitors" in the night. The dogs get after them and they tend to leave their livers behind.

catskinner

Leah, take everything EXCEPT the liver and throw it in a stockpot (with the carcass, after the meat is eaten). They will make a nice, rich, broth. The liver is disgusting. Cook it separately and give it to the cat and the dog. They will be very happy.

As a kid, I ate chicken hearts. Later, I was more interested in dissecting the heart than eating. Now, I'm a nurse! rofl And the dog eats the hearts.

anybody every try lungs? I read about it in one of the Foxfire books but hubby wont eat game and I havent found any to buy. Foxfire recipe sliced them, breaded & fried them up; another old health food book recommended grinding them with burger meat for the purpose of 'sneaking' healthy organ meats into the unhealthy diets of scoffers....

Archived