MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Happy Thanksgiving!

Momo

It will just be me and Dh this year, but I am VERY happy to have him here with me after the year we have had!

I am so sad that I won't be seeing my babies, but I have learned that you can't count on family. I have been born into a weird clan and through the years I have learned to deal with it. I am so happy for those of you that have a happy extended family. It is a gift.

Now for what's important....what is your menu for Thursday?

I am making a traditional roast turkey with oyster stuffing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, roasted yams, pickle/relish tray, cranberry sauce, pumpkin and apple pie. We will have plenty of leftovers!

Uuummmmmmm, Momo, that sounds so good.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Don't feel bad about the family. When I was little the family got together, lots and lots and lots of people and children. Once I grew up, I do not hear from any of them, let alone ever see them.

We just have MIL, otherwise she would be all alone.

Thanksgiving Dinner... I'm baking in the BBQ, a ham and a small turkey, cornbread stuffing..DH's fav., gravy, biscuits, a veggie, and a cinnamon crumble apple pie. Not sure if I will do cranberries. Still figuring it out.

There will be 16 of us for dinner, at our DD#1's home. Turkey, dressing, gravy, dumplings, mashed potatoes, squash casserole, corn, cranberry sauce, rolls and pumpkin and pecan pies. We all divide up the menu and each bring something.

We wish you all a very happy and peacefilled Thanksgiving!

Oyster stuffing!! Havent heard of that sence I used to live in Midway GA!

I stayed with an old widdow lady from our church when I got out fo the Army, and that's what she/her family always had for thanksgiving.

Sadly, I dont like oysters, but everything else was wonderful!

Robie :yum3:

Happy Thanksgiving All.

I came from a big extended family and now we are all spread out and never contact each other. I send Christmas cards and that's about it.

It will be my son and I this year. No one else I'd rather spend it with.

I'm fixing turkey breast, dressing, potato salad, green beans, baked beans, baked yams with peaches, my special deviled eggs, pumpkin cheesecake. Maybe corn.

some of it will go home with my son and the rest I will eat as leftovers all weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Wishing you all a good one whether you're alone or with family and friends. :gathering: We all have so much to be thankful for this year!

I will be going to my dad's house. I am bringing pumpkin pies, apple crisp, and pumpkin cornbread. All gluten free so that is a new adventure for me this year (my stepmom is newly gluten intolerant) I am finding it's not so hard to bake that way with all the mixes they have now.

Turnovers in bed because we don't have to get up early (other than to start turkey) so we will be turning over and going back to sleep!

Buddle’s of hugs all day long as we have fun eating and playing games AND EATING MORE!

Loaves of good cheer as we spend the day surprising a few friends that are home alone today (turkey dinners to go!

Mounds of memories and being thankful for the year we had.

A Harvest of wishes to you all for everything that was posted this past year!

Slice of happiness for Dessert! It will be a long fun day for us!

Oh, we will also be coming back home to eat a very large home cooked meal with the cats- But seeing they are both vegetarians we get all the turkey for ourselves! LOL

Yes ,we have cats that will not eat meat! Even if you put your plate on the floor one will eat all your mashed potatoes and the other will eat the carrots AND all the red parts of your OLIVES!

:AmishMichael2:

It'll be me, dh, dd, and ds. Our family is scattered all of the country so we don't get together for holidaze except my parents and sister come for Christmas.

On the menu: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole made by "the green been casserole queeen" aka dd, 3 kinds of cranberries, corn, pumpkin pie and maybe rum cake.

We are having 8 people eating,,, (First year without either of my parents-one is travelling, the other in a nursing home 3 states away :sad-smiley-012: )

1 diabetic, 1 on a sugar free grain free diet, 2 with 20+ various allergies, and 4 gastronomically normal people. Having shown up places before only to realize that there is nothing I can eat or feed my son...I want to make sure that there is a good variety for everyone. So, I am making various appetizers for the varied diets, and a veggie plate with regular ranch and dairy free ranch dressing...

cranberry apricot sauce for the gastronomically unchallenged, cranberry with stevia sauce for the diabetic,

Turkey for the normal folks, ham for the turkey allergic (me),

cornbread stuffing for the Gluten free & normal crowd, grain free stuffing for the grainfree guest,

candied sweet potatoes like grandma makes for the girls, savory sweet potatoes for the rest,

sides of greenbeans and corn,

pies are pumpkin & pecan that are gluten, casein & sugar free, 1 regular apple pie.

..... seems to get more complicated every year. :sassing:

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!

progress.gif

I will be at the 'new home' with my BFF Mary, 4 dogs, 3 cats and the parrot. We both are grateful indeed for the good events of the past year, accepting of the not so good, (since there is not a lot we can do about them anyway) and looking forward to Christmas baking season. We got sale turkeys in the freezer, big ones, sawed in half for easier use therof. We are having turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes & gravy, and watching football on TV together. It does not get much bettter than that for us and we are both richly blessed.

Its just me here this year... the apple pie is good! Granny Smith and McCortland apples in it, mostly granny smiths.... k..... well the yogurt is drained overnight.... supposed to be like cream cheese? I wonder how it tastes? it was plain.... going to do somethingwith it thats good, maybe pie... ? :cakeslice:

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

We are sharing the holiday with family and I have been cookingsince yesterday. We all prepare different parts of the meal. My share is garlic smashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, dirty rice and a Wegman's cake... I scored free tickets to the SU vs Cinncinati football game for hubby and grandson tomorrow, but the tv wil probably be tuned to football in the afternoon. I don't like the sport but I will watch the Bayou Classic this weekend so that I can see the half-time battle of the bands. I love black college marching bands!

Jeepers how do you do the yams with peaches? It sounds so good.We already had our family Thanksgiving at my sisters Sunday-15 people-everyone brings something.So today its just dh & myself,Turkey is roasting away to be served with cornbread dressing,hashbrown potato casserole,cranberry sauce,radishes& green onions,baby spinach /apple salad with pecans,and cheesecake.Sounds like we will be stuffed! I will be picking the meat off the bones to serve turkey manhattans and stewing the bones with celery onions and carrots to make a wonderful broth for many things.No shopping on Black Friday for us,we are cutting down on gifts this year.

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

We have so much to be thankful for, from family and friends to the country we live in. So today as you spend time with family and friends, lets all remember and say a prayer for our miltary who have sacrificed so much for us. Many of them can not be with their families today, be we stil hold them in our thoughts and prayers. So when you think of all the things that you have to be thankful for, remember also our soldiers who sacrifice so that we can be free

One of the things that I am thankful for is two of my three nephews that were deployed are home now. Only one left over there right now. You can see why I want to keep out military in our Thanksgiving thoughts.

Was going to my nieces for Thanksgiving, then my daughter decided she was going to have Thanksgiving at her house as well. So looks like I will be heading two places to eat...Will be a very busy day, but another thing to be thankful for. I have so many wonderful people in my family to spend the day with.

Oh, another thing to think about this year is those who do not have family to go to, or even a home. I mention this because it too is personal to me. I have a brother who chooses not to come home and is living on the streets. As far as street situations go, he has a good one, with people who help look after him, but I still worry about him.How many are out there though who have no one who wories or even anyone who seems to care.Lets keep them in our thoughts and prayers today as well.

Now, I am off to enjoy time with my family and hold my new neice again. Haven't seen her since she was a week old and so it has been a couple of months now. Pictures show her growing fast.

turkydance3.gif

DD and her family are at her in-laws, so we'll be fixing our traditional dinner sometime later in the weekend. We have to figure it out, since her DH has to work Friday & Saturday. I may just start cooking and to heck with the "when".

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone... may you find God's richest blessings when you most need it and least expect it. :wub:

thankful2.gif

We went to mom and dad's today and had a great time. We had some of everything...dirty rice, smashed potatoes, gravy, banana bread, pumpkin bread, rolls, corn, beans, peas, garlic bread , mac & cheese, 2 kinds of cake, pumpkin pie, candy, ice cream, cider, and who knows what else... If it was on the table, we ate it!

We are so thankful to be able to get together and enjoy the company of one another.

We are all back in our respective homes and are eating (again). Today was a lovely day!

Jeepers how do you do the yams with peaches? It sounds so good.

SNIP

I use a rectangle baking dish or pan. I used to put the peaches all around the edge of the pan with the yams in the middle but then you'd have to pick around for the peaches. Now I just put the yams on one end of the pan and the peaches on the other end. Not as pretty though.

I don't measure! But this recipe is very close. Sorry but I already threw the empty containers away.

I put the canned yams (2 pounds I think) in a baking dish with all the juice drained off. In a seperate small bowl I put about a half box of brown sugar, about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, about 1/4 teasooon of ground cloves. I open a can of peaches and pour some (not too much) of the juice into the brown sugar mixture. Just enough to make it pourable sort of like gravy. Then I put the peaches in the other end of the pan with the yams. Then I bake it until it is hot. You could microwave it too I suppose. To eat, serve with the yams, mashed with a fork, on the plate with the peaches beside. Spoon the warm spicy brown sugar mix over the yams and peaches on the the plate. If it's too much cinnamon or clove, just add the rest of the brown sugar from the box to tame it down. In other words:

Jeeper's Yams and Peaches

2 pounds of canned yams (drained)

2 medium size cans of sliced peaches (drained except about 3/4 cup)

1/2 box of light brown sugar

1/2 scant teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 scant teaspoon ground clove

Had a wonderful day at both my niece and daughter's houses. After the visit, my neice talked me into going to Black Friday sales and I bought a new laptop. I am so happy to have another decent computer in this house. Now I can play the games I want, but more importantly, I don't have to have to wait to get on my desktop, because it was the only halfway decent one we have.

Did get some disappointing news today though. I found out that my nephew that is home on leave, is not done with Afghanistan. He has to go back. I was disapointed, but will accept it as the way it is and keep praying for him.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Something new this year-

Found out Lori has never made home-made- jellyed cranberry sauce?

So off we went to walk into town (fake Blizzard here, ya know) to get to grocery store to buy cranberries! Second walk of the day by the way!

Came home and cooked them with sugar and water - recipe said to cook until they pop.

Lori asked “Like popcorn?"

Just wait and you will see, say I

well they do 'pop' and she was like a kid after that! pop, ...pop,.....POP!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

we got to add home-made cranberry sauce to our old fashion Thanksgiving Dinner with mashed potatoes (from the garden), home canned string beans(from the garden), that she made with French onions, carrot (from the garden), That I went out and pulled 1 hour before Dinner, she candied them with dill & brown sugar.

As well as a bunch of other stuff and of cause the Turkey.

Also a very FUN filled day with walks , games, visiting friend (surpriced him with a Tirkey Dinner with all the trimmings (and Lori home-made cranberry sauce).

Even went to the movies to see the new Mupput Movie - Very funny! in late afternoon! Saw it was open today while walking downtown at 5:30 am!

And the BEST part of the day?

When I was 'setting' up the big table for Dinner (tablecloth, candles, placemats, silverware,centerpiece,etc.,

Lori calls me to go out in the garden and pull some carrots for Dinner.

While I was out there (very nice day) I walked the garden trail and there were Flowers in bloom! 1 primrose, 2 panies, and some little ferns! So I came back in with a litlle bouquet of flowers for a mini centerpiece I put by her plate! Now THAT was a surprize! but hey ......... I got her Flowers for Thanksgiving!

Archived