MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

one step forward, one step back

I helped with the canning when I was a kid. Hated it. Hated the steamy air, the scalded fingers, the inevitable dropped jar--and hated knowing that when the best of these jars got opened, I wouldn't like what was in it. The peaches tasted like they had booze in them; the green beans were mushy and flavorless; the figs were sweet enough to make me miserably sick. (I probably had blood sugar imbalances even back then, but nobody knew.)

Nevertheless, I coveted a big, expensive canner. Not enough to pay for one, but enough to bookmark various sales. Why? I don't know. It's like I felt the need to have the ability to can, even if I didn't want to actually do it.

Sometime back, my husband the master scavenger brought me a great big pressure canner. It came with a dial gauge, which I have no experience with. I had a largish quantity of scavenged or gifted canning jars at one point, but someone in my house got rid of them.

Last week, went to Ace Hardware for some PVC pipe to fix the washing machine drain and saw they had a prominent display of canning jars, gadgets, and books. I bought some jars. Why? Don't know. The set of canning jars I bought last year was given away unopened. Bought these anyway. Told DH I was going to "put stuff in them." The new jars are still sitting in the car.

Yesterday at lunch I was looking up something else entirely when I noticed an announcement for a pressure canning class to be held Monday morning. My boss and his boss (and his) were out, so I bopped into the other corner office and said, "Norm, you care if I take Monday morning off?" He said, "Naahh, kid. Go for it." (Yes, he's old enough to get away with that.)

Class limit is seven people. Yes, there was room. Yes, they'll take the $5 fee at the door.

Okay, so where's my canner? DH put it away. He doesn't remember when. He doesn't remember where. When I asked for help finding it, the answer was...unhelpful.