MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is more than one type of Ebola. I think the Zaire one was discovered when

they found two dead monkeys under a tree. Yes is it contacted by animals. In the

past it was known of small outbreaks at certain times of the year from the wild animals.

This outbreak is different and they are blaming the white people for starting it.

I've seen a few articles confirming [true or not?] that animals can indeed get Ebola. I saw the article Mom11 mentioned.....sometimes dogs can be carrier without symptoms. That...would be unfortunate. [still looking for the article]

This study was about dogs seen eating Ebola carcasses....which is a bit different than living in an apartment with someone sick with Ebola....or is it?

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

This article has it's opinions about the animal issue:

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/questions-and-answers-on-dogs-and-ebola-risks-1.307290

Since I have a dozen ducks [varieties of bird flu] , two horses [who knows what mosquito-transfered stuff], XXL dog [Ebola????], cat [indoors...??] and 6 goats :shrug: .....well, I do have questions.

When that bird flu was predominant in the news, I kept an eye on that. Migratory birds land in our pond..... :unsure: I might have had to sacrifice my domestic ducks if they were fraternizing with the exotics.

It does seem like over-the-top when animal rights groups go bizarrro nuts over the unfortunate Excalibur .....and are we hearing such fervent advocacy for even the unfortunate babies, children, men, women of West Aftrica? I'm thinking a little perspective is needed, despite my sympathy for this man losing his wife.............................and dog. :excl:

MtRider ....the rest of the world never knew so much about E. .....cuz we didn't have to..... :pray:

I asked about the viability of the virus outside of a body a few pages back. I found this:

Survival outside the body: The virus can survive and remain infective in liquid or dried organic matter at room temperature for a number of days 10. A 2010 study recovered infective Ebola virus from an indoor environment six days after contamination (under optimal conditions for viral survival). The Ebola virus can also survive for several days at 39°F (4°C), and is indefinitely stable at -70°C. Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilization (freeze-drying).

Also this:
Ebola virus has been isolated from semen 61 days after the initial symptoms of infection appear. Transmission through semen has occurred 7 weeks after clinical recovery.

The above is from a PDF from: Kimberly-Clark Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Precautions Brief: September 19, 2014
Someome else posted the link but I don't know how to link PDF's.

ok, cdc types did confirm, dogs can carry ebola virus in their systems but there are no known transmissions to date. ( Veterinarian expert confirmed the info) . So...... I guess there is still risk.

I have no idea about horses.

Pigs are similar to humans ( or they say so anyway, I wouldn't doubt they could carry it. ) I wouldn't want to eat pork if the pig was infected, either. NOT!!!!

That is some scary facts about how long it can live or survive frozen. Really dangerous.

Just saw this post on fb from The Blaze..... People from Africa trying to walk over the southern border here. Yesterday afternoon.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/09/border-agents-catch-east-african-man-trying-to-sneak-into-u-s-why-its-scaring-them-in-light-of-the-ebola-outbreak/

Edited by sassenach

oh, and airlines plane cleaners somewhere went on strike today, boy , they are right though, they want hazardous protective gear and gloves and such for their work. Airlines acted fast and is reviewing what needs to be done so they have the gear. ( gee, isn't that nice. they should have done this already....... ) Strike over. I do not blame the employees one bit.

and then...... some idjit dude decided to act out he had ebola on a plane. Scared heck out of everyone.... he was only joking? I do not know the conclusion of that incident but it was on the news. I didnt hear the end result. I HOPE he got arrested for a while. I hate utter foolishness about something so serious.

Cleaning from the Kimberly Clark PDF:

"Important: The effectiveness of many disinfectants, including hypochlorite, are weakened or inactivated by the presence of organic contamination of the surface to be disinfected. Organic substances in this context include blood, vomit, feces, pus and sputum. Normally, cleaning with a detergent first to remove the organic contamination would be recommended. However, to reduce the risk of staff infection during clean-up procedures, a higher concentration of the disinfectant can reduce the viral load despite inactivation of a percentage of the disinfecting free chlorine. For example, hypochlorite is usually used at a working concentration of 100-500ppm chlorine for routine hospital disinfection, after cleaning with a detergent to remove organic matter. However, if heavily soiled with organic matter potentially containing Ebola (high lethality; high viral concentration in blood; very few viruses necessary for infection), a 1:10 solution of hypochlorite (household bleach) is appropriate (1 part bleach to 10 parts water v/v). This is equivalent to 5,000ppm chlorine. Another way to make this concentration is to add 1½ cups household bleach to one gallon of water. Because the effectiveness of diluted hypochlorite decays over time, working solutions should be prepared fresh every 24 hours.

Important: Paper and cotton are cellulose based materials. Cellulose reduces the effectiveness of hypochlorite and hydrogen peroxide. Higher concentrations of the disinfectant can compensate. Do not leave paper towels or cotton cloths in open cleaning bucket containing diluted hypochlorite, for example, as the effective concentration of chlorine will diminish significantly. The use of polypropylene wipes or wipes that contain coated cellulose specifically treated to prevent disinfectant inactivation and absorption exist but must be confirmed with official data from the manufacturer."

It also warns to never ever mix two or more chemicals, due to toxic fumes!

MtRider putting in the link:

http://www.kchealthcare.com/media/133353/k-c-ebola-precautions-brief-truscott-final.pdf

Edited by Mt_Rider
put in the link for Jeep

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

this article defines High Risk and Low Risk exposures to Ebola

....snip....Close contact is defined as being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) of an EVD patient or within the patient’s room or care area for a prolonged period of time (e.g., health care personnel, household members) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment....snip..

If they have explosive coughing, the droplets can fly without actually being within the definition of "airborne".....

Please...no....

MtRider "airborne" ....that would be a game changer

I'm seeing the word 'particulate' in the description on some mask/respirators. Is that something to be avoided? I think I need more masks. Getting confusing.

I didn't know about the cellulose either.

Also clearing away the 'mess' weakens the solution.

So, what I've learned tonight is:

use non-cellulose wipes

clear away the mess with soapy water

clean with 1:10 bleach water

let set for 10 minutes

wipe up again with bleach water

bleach solution must be made fresh every 24 hours

Edited by Jeepers

I sent the PDF to DH ....he ran a small lab some years ago [but certainly had NO risk of Ebola at that time and place]. He recognized all these protocols in the PDF for blood in a post-AIDS era.

Known facts from his lab experience:

----VIRUS and BACTERIA have different 'envelopes' ....the cell walls are different and react differently to chemicals.

----BLEACH inactivates virus better than alcohol.

-----Alcohol of at least 70% concentrate kills 99% bacteria within 30 seconds....most fungi....and SOME virus (that's why alcohol-based products are NOT enough for Ebola!)

-----remember that the rubbing action gets off a lot of the microbes - virus/bacteria/fungal....but it's only Step One.

-----DH was aware of the cellulose deactivating the bleach but said protocol was to pour 10% bleach solution onto a cloth or paper towel. Clean with it and dispose in the red, hazardous waste disposal containers (which are incinerated). In that amount of time, it will not greatly reduce that level of bleach in the water. One should not leave a cellulose-based cloth IN THE CHLORINE WATER however. YOU WILL BE WEARING GLOVES AND OTHER PROTECTIVE GEAR in case of splashes.

------Bleach deactivates after being mixed with water which is why fresh batches are made daily.

------preppers already know the concentration of bleach dissipates with time so fresh bottles of bleach are necessary. [since it's potency also is needed for purification of water]

-----10% bleach solution in water is calibrated for labs so that the organic matter issue is already factored in. HOWEVER...you are to put it on...let it set ten minutes....wipe it up. THEN REPEAT.

------DH says since merely ONE to TEN of the itty-bitty virus cells is enough to infect with Ebola....... :blink: .....he might even clean a third time! His opinion, not protocols. Ya just can't miss ANY of the microscopic beasties.

------in the PDF, it lists the temperatures that will deactivate Ebola so if you can boil something, that also works. [have to look up the specifics of that again....how high for how long....]

----in the PDF it lists the material in gloves that are acceptable for Ebola. Latex is good and is thicker membrane/less likely to tear, puncture. Nitrile is good for latex-allergic folks. Plastic (food service gloves) and ........another kind, was listed as NOT EFFECTIVE barrier for Ebola.

MtRider ..... :blush: completely forgot DH had blood lab experience. Has been some years ago....

Edited by Mt_Rider
add gloves

Really folks, now that DH has confirmed that that PDF is stating standard blood protocols for certified labs.....AND it has updated information specific to Ebola.....

Download and print that PDF. READ IT NOW (I haven't found it yet in my download lists of my computer...but intend to).

Put copy/copies with your First Aid and/or prepping stuff after making list of things you need (bleach) in case we might need to deal with this.

MtRider ....this gives us a lot more reasoning for some of the things we've been hearing. :grouphug:

Vinyl? MtR, is that the one that's NOT good?

And when you say PDF, you DO mean the Kimberly Clark one?? Download the KC one??

Yes to both:

Vinyl not adequate for Ebola protection.

PDF is Kimberly Clark on3....I added link in Jeeper's post #336 on page #17 of this thread. [also the thread in Psst]

Yeah, I know. So much data going this way and that way. Some is even accurate. But I think I'm finally beginning to get it and the pieces are making sense now.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

That PDF is a good one. I THINK Jakk originally found it.

I need to know if you see the word 'particulate' in the mask/respirator description is that what we want.

I was thinking someone said 'particulate' was just for particles and not virus? I guess I'm getting confused with information overload.

For example:

3M 8000 Particle Respirator N95

3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve

3M 8210 N95 Respirator

3M 8210V Particulate Respirator, N95 Respiratory Protection

3M 1870 N95 Health Care Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask

Jeepers for ebola, because its so small ppm type of object, N100 are really the better mask but they are about 8 dollars apiece for the disposable ones. They do have a valve to reduce humidity.

ok, I found this on fox business........

Its a video system to detect high fevers. Its really kind of cool. ( I hope this is the right link , the video is over and the next started playing on my other browser, but you can find it on fox business, tab on foxnews)

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3832517160001/tech-that-could-defend-against-ebola/#sp=show-clips

( yea, its right.)

Particulate = particles

Everything that has mass is a "particle" ....altho viruses have very little mass

Anything from N95 - 100 is not merely a "dust mask"

The reason N100 [as in: protects pretty much 100% ] is better for Ebola is [in my opinion] not that it's SO much better for the size of the microscopic beasties. Really..... between 95% and 100%..... :shrug:

RATHER, I believe it's becauset Ebola is so horribly contagious.....IN ONE ASPECT: statement in that K/C PDF states that it only takes only 1 - 10 virus cells to infect someone. ONE TO TEN? :o THAT is what makes the difference between 95% and 100% much more important.

HOWEVER......you have to decide whether you will be holed up in your house....only going outside to get firewood or something. As long at Ebola is not TRULY airborne [definition below] ....I am counting on 95% being adequate to protect from any stray droplets. Understand that you also MUST protect your eyes as well. Anything that can be sprayed [coughed, spewed vomit, etc] toward your nose/mouth, will also be near your eyes. So y'all have goggles too, right? :blink:

Definitions:

TRULY AIRBORNE -- is when the disease cells can float indefinitely in the air. I have not seen anything so far that indicates Ebola has mutated into this capacity.

AIRBORNE DROPLETS containing disease cells --- Ebola certainly does have this. When droplets of bodily fluids are coughed into the air....or spewed with violent vomiting....or splattered blood.....any other cause -----this is what masks/eye protection are for (so far). This is one of the reasons for caution when you are within "X"-number of feet from an Ebola patient. Or in a room with them for an extended period of time. [back of the ambulance or taxi with them, for instance].

Note: it has been estimated that there could be as many as 40,000 virus cells expelled in a single sneeze.... :unsure:

SURFACE CONTACT with bodily fluids ---- another way Ebola is a nightmare. DH was reading the numbers on how long Ebola cells remain viable [...as in: CAN STILL INFECT] outside of a host body. Like on any surface....door knobs, bottom of a shoe, etc. Long time, folks. Check out also the temperature range at which an Ebola cell can survive and be viable [can still infect]. Heat temperatures and times are listed but I've already forgotten them. [PRINT OUT THIS PDF...memory is faulty!]

MtRider :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Gees, the N100 are so expensive to buy more than a couple. I have some N95 masks and I recently got a few N99. I think I'll get some more N95 and use them for flu stuff and save the N99 for possible Ebola. Right now, I think I'm more likely to come in contact with the flu than Ebola. Hope. I have some of the surgical type masks too. The flat ones. I planned on using them in case I needed to change a dressing to protect someone else from my germs. I think if push came to shove, I'd use one of the surgical type masks under one of the N95 just to try to insure the sides of my face are covered around the N95 one.

I have a few face shields and I do have goggles. I got some swim goggles and they fit tight. Not the mask type but ones like the Olympians wear. Now is a good time to get them while summer clearance is going on.