MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Well, well, well. It seems the latest woman who contracted Ebola called the CDC and told them about her situation. She told them she had a low grade fever and that she had been in contact with Duncan. They (CDC) told her it was okay to fly because her temperature wasn't high enough to be contagious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/amber-vinson-cdc-ebola_n_5993486.html

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so disappointed with the CDC! :-( I've always considered them to be the gold standard, and to be above politics. Wow, they really seem to have bungled this crisis, from the get go. I watched an interview with a spokesman from the CDC, this afternoon, and I really felt sorry for him. He seemed to be the designated scrape goat :-( What a mess!

We are both of the opinion that 99% of our problems in this country now are because of the "everybody should be on a level playing field" mentality...and this puts DISQUALIFIED people into positions they have no business being in! This includes politicians! I have hesitated to recite this incident because it's so gross, but now think perhaps I shall. We were at a local big box store and there's this fella that is seen all over town with just about everything he owns packed into WM bags etc., and tied either to his scooter or bicycle, or his car is stuffed to the top with his stuff. Anyway...he had parked his scooter not far from the electronic doors and was going through all his "stuff" and checking it (I guess?)...and about 5 times in 10 minutes he would gag & cough up "stuff" and then step behind a post and spit it on the concrete. Now...I know he's not from ANY foreign country but the scenario is this...who cleans up that crap!? We have become a bit paranoid perhaps but we're doing double takes on what we touch and using our wipes diligently AND walking way around anything on the ground that looks "wet" :-( uggghhh! Came out of Aldi's tonight and right there, just outside the cart area was huge wet spot. Maybe it was just a dropped bottle of pop or something...but we gave it a very wide berth!

Hmmm.... A recent report by the World Health Organization:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/14-october-2014/en/

The beginning has some good news about Nigeria and Senegal. No new cases for 42 days. :amen: Not for the three main countries in W.Africa tho. :(

Then it says this:

Incubation period

The period of 42 days, with active case-finding in place, is twice the maximum incubation period for Ebola virus disease and is considered by WHO as sufficient to generate confidence in a declaration that an Ebola outbreak has ended.

Recent studies conducted in West Africa have demonstrated that 95% of confirmed cases have an incubation period in the range of 1 to 21 days; 98% have an incubation period that falls within the 1 to 42 day interval. WHO is therefore confident that detection of no new cases, with active surveillance in place, throughout this 42-day period means that an Ebola outbreak is indeed over.

RED is mine

OK..95% is good enough right? 21 days til you're considered 'clean'? Hmm....or maybe 98% if you wait FORTY-TWO days before you're declared "clean".

:scratchhead: ....and the other 2%???? What are they....Typhoid Mary? [HEY, that's just a stupid guess by me....so don't take that as a real answer.....y'know? ]

ARE WE BEGINNING TO HAVE A LOT MORE COMPASSION FOR THOSE IN W.AFRICA who have been battling this Perfect Storm of a disease? YES!

How about this issue?

WHO recommendations for testing for Ebola virus disease and confirming a case

WHO is alarmed by media reports of suspected Ebola cases imported into new countries that are said, by government officials or ministries of health, to be discarded as “negative” within hours after the suspected case enters the country.

Such rapid determination of infection status is impossible, casting grave doubts on some of the official information that is being communicated to the public and the media.

RED is mine

Aiee-yiyi ........ :fever: [i don't think we even have a working thermometer in this house.....] :fever:

PERFECT STORM?

1....long and perhaps undetermined incubation period --time between infection and development of discernible symptoms.

2....HIGH mortality rate.

3....VERY LOW viral load needed for infection to occur.....1 -10 virus cells.

4.....Definitely can travel with body fluid droplets spewed, sprayed, exhaled.....tho relatively short distances

5....Virus cells can remain alive FAR longer than we'd like....outside a living host body.

Having all those things seems quite.....extraordinary....in a really bad way. :unsure:

ONLY TWO good things:

----[as of yet] it hasn't begun to travel LONG distances thru the air....like thru the ventilation systems of buildings. [that's the best definition of true 'airborne' that I know]

---AND it's supposed to enter ONLY thru body orifices [eyes, nose, mouth, thru sex] or thru an open cut in the skin.

MtRider :pray::behindsofa:

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin'

A health care worker that handled the blood of the first ebola guy is on a Carnival cruise ship parked off shore of Belize. Belize officials will not allow the transfer of this woman via their shores into their airport to be airlifted out. There are over 4,000 passengers and crew on board.

I've been to Belize and there is no dock. They anchor out in the ocean and you take a small ship called a Tender to the shore. Apparently they had this woman and her husband on the Tender ready to go to the Belize hospital but were told no. Belize does not want Ebola on their shores. The patient was returned to the ship and the ship is sailing back to the US.

Belize TV is saying the patient is showing symptoms of Ebola, but the CDC says no symptoms. Which is it?

Tell me, short of sinking it, how do you disinfect a huge cruise ship?

Good grief. Did everyone who cared for Duncan go on trips during their well-deserved time off?

I would hire SPECIALLY TRAINED people....on a 2 month minimum contract. Two weeks [or less] of normal work hours with Ebola patient. Then 45 days of PAID time at an isolation facility. A VERY NICE facility. VERY WELL PAID for these contracts. VERY WELL TRAINED for these contracts.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

MtRider ...... an Ebola Czar? Should I send him/her an email? :gaah:

Edited by Mt_Rider

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/ebola-outbreak-famine-approaches-toadd-to-west-africas-torment-9799944.html

So many people thought they could not get AIDS and are treating Ebola the same way.

This woman was a nurse...working in the lab handled Duncans blood.

Apparently there was little thought of exposure that she and her husband would go on a cruise.

Of course I am sure they had paid their ticket and it was past time they could get a refund but

no respect for other people?

The web sight above...makes you wonder about the reports from CDC.

Ah well, I think the fed ebola czar is being appointed right now......you are out of luck. But I would prefer you to do it !

I do agree, that people need to be housed in a place where they simply stay and their needs provided, pre-symptoms, if exposed, and then after treatment, for several weeks to be sure of no recurrence and lessen the chance of exposing others they would normally be around or places they might go.

Homeschooling packets set up per district or state for grades 1 through 12 for any children, supplied. A computer set up for tutoring needs for this. A way to conduct quizzes and tests online that can be turned into a file for the teacher to check , so they can maintain their grades if they are well enough to do so. Tele video, audio stuff for that if they like.

I do not think anyone should be fired from jobs they could not go to while sick or in isolation , although temp workers during this time is reasonable.

oh a cruise ship in Belize and the health care worker is on it.... hmmm. I do not blame the port authorities. Spray down completely with bleach ? Big job to be sure. And this is because people stupidly think life is still normal, even though they may be carrying the disease and it takes a while to show up as the virus must build up, which was perfect timing on the virus' part .......

They need to obtain water/ fuel/ food/ IV supplies to keep her hydrated, and get out of port and get back to ocean nearer US and ask for ebola patient Rescue ahead of time so SAR /CoastGuard/ CDC can deal with that.... Belize is not equipped.

Then as an example if the patient survives, they should be on lockdown for six months in an isolated cell, as far as I am concerned as an example for other careless acting people. People need to get real about this stuff.

Now we have a cruise ship under scrutiny because someone who handled the first Ebola patient's (Duncan's) blood decided a cruise was a good idea. It came to light because Mexico refused to allow the passengers to disembark.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/response-statements-falsely-attributed-cidrap-regarding-ebola-transmission

CIDRAP is real but Ebola is not yet technically airborne. Droplet transmission likely, which for most people is close enough and confusing because can be spread up to 3 feet away, what most people think of as "airborne". It's a technical difference but very few viruses are considered airborne. Measles & TB are though.

Thanks for the distinction of Truly Airborne, Becca. The influenza [common flu and worse flu] virus is Truly Airborne too, right?

Yeah, huge cruise ship out at sea....ventilation systems with something truly airborne [ E isn't yet ] ....I'd stay up on deck, near the bow.

edited to add link

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5655697_influenza-virus-airborne_.html

Won't let me copy/paste but mentions "droplets transmitted into the air from nose/mouth" but also that cooler temps with low humidity levels allow the [flu] virus to remain viable [can infect you] IN THE AIR FOR A LONGER PERIOD.

So that isn't talking about the few seconds larger droplets would be in the air after being spewed, coughed, or squirted. We're talking about virus able to float in the air long enough to die off.

===========

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_disease

....including: Anthrax (inhalational), Chickenpox, Influenza, Measles, Smallpox and Tuberculosis.

Hmm....'airborne' also includes particulate matter: dust, pollens, dried rodent feces/urine (Hanta virus of our SW region)... Hadn't thot of those.

MtRider :pray: no wonder smallpox was such a terror! :(

Edited by Mt_Rider

Amber Vinson was diagnosed with Ebola earlier this week — a day after she flew

with a fever on a Frontier Airlines flight from Cleveland back to Dallas. Since then,

the CDC has contacted the 132 passengers who flew with her. However, officials

said Thursday she may have shown symptoms as many as four days before they

initially indicated. Now the CDC says it is busy tracking all passengers who were

on her first flight to Ohio last week.

Ebola virus remains viable for up to ten days on objects . Also it will revive after being frozen all winter . I saw all that in some of Mt Rider's info she passed along about it when she was referring to what her DH found for medical info on Ebola. according to the authorities on this stuff. Info gathered without CDC /political conferences .

E virus can withstand freezing temps? :groooansmileyf: I missed that. BUT heat does kill it. And bleach. Get bleach before it becomes unavailable....but remember liquid bleach does degrade in strength over time.

-------------------------

Several sites indicate that the cruise ship lab tech is NOT showing any signs of E. ..... :unsure: That's what they're saying. I hope so for her sake and all the rest of the folks. With such scrambled protocols....and deceitful reporting, who knows anything?

Scrambled protocols is getting to be a hot topic for me. Is this confusion mainly to avoid stepping on political toes right before mid-term elections.....or dodging responsibility before elections.......or intentional....or what? It's COMPLETELY inexcusable that we did not have [still do not have] Step One, Step Two, Step Three lined up before E.Patient #1 ever showed up. It's one thing to bring back American citizens who will go directly into treatment with proper Level 4 precautions. But someone coming on a commercial flight was pretty inevitable. Did NO ONE run What If's and decide what's what? :banghead: It's not like Ebola Zaire is a new microbe brought back on moon rocks!

SHEEESH, seems like we are more prepared here on MrsS than those who make REEEAAALLLLLLLY DANGED BIG MONEY to do this professionally! We participate in What If's all the time. They need to just open the RED BINDER labeled "Ebola In U>S>" and follow the protocols. There has been months to see this one coming.

:soapbox: MtRider goes stomping off to make my own RED BINDER....DH is making paper copies of that KC PDF today.

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yes! cuz I'm using the Clorox wipes after taking care of the ducks.....as in bird virus contamination.... So we've learned that virus cell walls generally need chlorine, not alcohol, I need to change the product I'm using.

The brand name "Clorox" would seem to be synonymous with "chlorine" but ....not!

Edited to add: Make sure you read the label on those wipes with chlorine. Some are not meant for hands but for surfaces....which we might need too, of course. Or a paper towel (glove for your hand) and jug of bleach. Bleach ...absorbed thru your skin, might not be too good either.

MtRider :scratchhead:

Edited by Mt_Rider

In an emergency situation I'd use one of the bleach wipes and then wash my hands with soap and water. That way I figure I'd kill the germs but I wouldn't leave the bleach on my skin.

I think I'm spending way too much money on Ebola supplies. But then again that second nurse was in my area. :scratchhead: