MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Jeepers........ Uh, chlorine then soap? That has a chemical reaction doesn't it? I always clean the bleach out of my sink [ sanitizing after raw poultry] reallllllly well before having any dish soap in there. Fumes are BAD if they mix.

MtRider :unsure:

VIVA paper towels, cut roll in half. Put half roll in a used Chlorox round container, pur in several drops of bleach & add water. Seal. You have your own bleach wipes :-) When you get home you can wash & rinse your hands & use some hand lotion. From the WE2's :-)

ps...only the VIVA paper towels are soft enough and absorbent enough to make your wipes....of any kind.

Edited by The WE2's

Good idea We2 but will a couple of drops of bleach be enough? Wonder what the 'dilution rate" is? And will too much bleach eat through the paper towels? I know straight bleach ate through one of my handi-wipes. :happy0203:

To clarify...sometimes I use a splash of straight bleach to remove the stains off of my kitchen counter tops.

Wash with soap and water, no handsanitizer, it doesn't work against ebola , and bleach is nasty on the skin. WHO recommends soap and water and washing for a long time, running water to rinse, or 70 % alcohol to clean hands. Countertops, your solution of 1 and a half cups bleach to 1 gallon of water, place some in spray bottle for wiping down counters and door knobs? Etc?

Label spray bottle of course.

Paper towels have cellulose in them. Cellulose weakens bleach strength, so do handwipes .

True! Lab protocols state that it's OK to use cellulose products BUT can't leave them in the bleach water. The degrading of bleach strength takes time but it's fine to dip or pour on a paper towel and immediately clean with them.

Sooooo, we're back to square one.

Cuz while I'm not currently concerned about Ebola, I am concerned with avian viruses from my ducks.... :sigh: ....currently..... Anyway, DH and I were checking the Clorox wipes label today and he's going to research the disinfecting agent in them. Which viruses are they claiming to destroy? That's my next question.

For viruses, yes the ratio is 10 to 1. 10% solution of bleach. But for labs [this is pre-Ebola] one had to wipe off with 10/1 bleach; let it sit 10 minutes; wipe off....and repeat.

Chlorine nasty on hands? Definitely and I, for one, do not want to be absorbing it into my body. So....maybe I should have rubber gloves and remove them once I'm done with the duckyard chores?

MtRider ...thinking on this....ducks AND the Ebola issue.....

Plane loads of humanitarian workers shuffling back and forth to Liberia. I found the article encouraging.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/10/20/357572728/plane-of-good-samaritans-why-fly-to-and-from-west-africa?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

If our 40-ft container arrives with the three Christian radio stations in western Africa, I sure hope we end up on one of these planes full of humanitarian workers. It will be some of the easiest conversations, to talk to others about life, death, and eternity. :grouphug:

We and some of our friends have had the discussion of "when do you know when to shelter in place?" for any type of of disease/sickness that's spreading. Marjorie Wildcraft did an article and said the inner city people will be hit first because of their being huddled in to such a close proximity to each other. We agree. We also think that once this happens, those that are traumatized by these deaths will begin to evacuate these areas and then guess what. They'll have mostly nothing with them but "exposure" to whatever they're fleeing from. That's why we probably won't be trying to build any "community" unless we know who they are and what their lifestyles have been. If they have addictions they'll only be hindrances and maybe even future enemies when they can't get what their bodies crave. Ooops...going off subject :-)

A second article from the site Homesteader posted:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/10/20/357399593/ebola-in-church-a-reverends-quarantine-spreads-the-word

The last few paragraphs are poignant. Could any of us NOT hold our sick child? How might they get the protective gear to make holding safer? This is not as simple as it sounds on paper....from far, far away. :sigh:

-------------------

The business guy on the plane to W.Africa was an idiot tho. No concerns because "business goes on"?????? That's dangerous denial that will spread disease. <_<

I hope Brussels does not become a transmitting point for this disease.... When these brave folks return, where will they do their quarantine days? Brussels? Ellis Island? :rolleyes: In their home states? Or in a central location for such things...as yet to be decided? These decisions need to be addressed like....yesterday!

MtRider :pray:

Just finished steam mopping our bathroom floor...kitchen will come later. Paranoid? No, but...I've got the steam mop so why not start using it on a more regular basis? I've had it several years (it has washable pads that velcro to the foot) and I bought it because I just "know" guys don't always "shoot straight" (especially when they're sleepy & get up at night?) and steam cleaning "that" area is good... :24:

Yes, and during the seasons of Tourism, I see it spreading as well, also through our school system. People will slip through the cracks and it will have a ripple affect. I just hope it never gets into steam roller affect. It is then the Perfect Storm and would simply overwhelm all in the exponential ability it certainly has. Along with secondary affects just as bad because it will disrupt far too much, in our infrastructure or any other country that is used to the status quo we tend to expect and certainly are too reliant on.

So, since cellulose weakens the effectiveness of chlorine bleach and other disinfectants all those Clorox wipes people buy are basically worthless?

We're still stocking up on them regardless of what "they say". I'm sure if any type of cloth is left in full strength chlorine bleach it would chew it up though.

They are really downplaying the case in New York during the conference. They said he was self isolating...but he felt bad for 3 days before the fever showed up today...and went on 3 different subway lines to go bowling,and to a restaurant and took a taxi home. That doesn't sound like self isolating to me... :tapfoot:

Edited by dogmom4

So, since cellulose weakens the effectiveness of chlorine bleach and other disinfectants all those Clorox wipes people buy are basically worthless?

We're still stocking up on them regardless of what "they say". I'm sure if any type of cloth is left in full strength chlorine bleach it would chew it up though.

Daylilly.....

1) Chlorine bleach will degrade if a cellulose product [cotton, paper, etc] is left in the solution. But using paper towels (with gloves) to clean with will not reduce the percentage of bleach that quickly.

2) For killing most VIRUSES you need chlorine bleach.

3 ) Those Clorox wipes in the cylinder-shaped plastic containers [with the roll of wet towels inside] DO NOT CONTAIN BLEACH ....despite the brand "Clorox". (that one surprised me!)

4) Therefore.....the OTHER TYPE of disinfectant that is used in those Clorox-brand cylinders are not affected by the cellulose towels inside

5) However....DOES the OTHER TYPE of disinfectant used ....kill VIRUSES LIKE EBOLA? The label says it kills fungi, bacteria, virus. But ALL of the types of fungi, bacteria, and viruses?

# 5 is the one I'd still like official answers on..... :shrug:

WE2......I think you have hit upon exactly WHY the bleach degrades if cellulose in LEFT IN THE BLEACH SOLUTION. Cuz it uses up it's ....er, potency due to eating the rag.

By the way, remember we're talking about a 10 % SOLUTION. That's strong enough for viruses.....IF you wait 10 minutes; wipe off......and repeat the process again.

..... I know....this stuff is tough if we all were not chemistry majors.....but SO important to nail down the facts!

MtRider ..... :( Actually, I hope and pray none of us finds this hard-won information is ever needed..... :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider