MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Interesting article written by a nurse:

http://dtolar.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/ebola-a-nurses-perspective/

Good article. But.....she said twice that Ebola patient could be passing it on EVEN BEFORE THEY'RE SYMPTOMATIC. That's....reallllly, realllly, bad. Has anyone else heard this yet???? I'd like to verify cuz it's a severe deal-breaker!

==============

WE2....glad you mentioned public restrooms. Not to be TMI :gdtmi: but.....bluntly, this is a huge issue for anyone! <_<

With MS, I frequent restrooms whenever I leave my house. Sometimes I 'gotta go' every half hour! :o ......and those paper sheets are NOT GONNA BE ANY PROTECTION from this. I don't have the balance to "hover". Sheeeesh.....what other alternatives can we think of? Disposable gloves and Clorox wipes to clean the seat? Commercial toilets have aggressive flushing that will atomize droplets.....a thought we usually try not to think about. Wear the gloves until you open the door upon exiting? This virus staying alive for ...perhaps days....on inanimate surfaces?

Mebbe I can wait and go behind a tree in the woods? :unsure:

=================

Everyone is talking about the cleanup of that TX apartment...and sidewalk. Power washing the sidewalk would definitely spread DROPLETS! Operator is wearing no protection. Washing down the sewer system..... They left the four relatives in with the patient's bedding, etc for days?

=================

MtRider :behindsofa:

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK.....can we talk about WHEN we're all thinking that a Trigger Point has been reached and you will institute New Personal Protocols?

Deerslayer is in TX......and sounds like she's saying she changes some things NOW!

WE2s....not TX but also making changes as of NOW!

I'm thinking that restroom deserves change NOW....tho I'm not in TX.

===============

--How about eating at restaurants....even Take-Out? :unsure:

--Public transportation....bus, taxi, trains, subway, etc???

--Shaking hands.....or hugs at church?

--Going to play at the park?

--School children?

Any thots? Plans? Trigger Points set? Trigger Points activated?

Anyone buying CLOROX (bottled,wipes) along with masks, gloves

I use Clorox wipes DAILY after dealing with my poultry....to sanitize my hands until I can get back up to the house to wash my hands. I'm from farmer stock.....generations all the way back to 'the old country' and we take "germ theory" very seriously! I don't do the same for horses/dog/goat because transmission of disease rates are not high between human and those species. Poultry is a different matter! So....that awareness has already been ingrained in me. Now...to apply it to another transmission potential.... :gathering::grouphug::hug3::fever::kissy:

:sigh:

MtRider ....bringing my Clorox wipes ------> :behindsofa:

Edited by Mt_Rider

This explains viral shedding with flu virus pretty well. It doesn't really mention you are also shedding virus for some time after you are feeling better (like with ebola the virus is still transmissible in men's sperm for 7 wks after they have recovered). Many viruses have this viral shedding before a person is symptomatic as the virus builds to a level where your immune system recognizes there is an invader and causes the symptoms that alert you to the infection such as fever.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/12/flu-news-scan-flu-virus-shedding-pandemic-prevention-approaches

so viruses 'shed'..... lovely......

I am already making a few changes socially. I doubt I will do any thing at mha much at all now. ( talk about folks who know nothing... ) . I can still do stuff some of the week here in town on community days with A from mha..... which keeps me out of their transportation vans except for a couple of neighbors, or i can just walk up the hill and meet them and walk to where we go. Fortunately I am pretty independent but my one good friend down the street goes to many functions and clinics frequently so , I will be watching that too.

Implementing better habits about washing up when I come in from somewhere and about to lysol clean the hall way and door and got lysol spray for the door and door knobs and my place and bleach which is about to be applied heavily. And will continue that .. I only go to the stores when there are few folks about most of the time, and will have to still be more mindful of that.

I have n95 masks and latex gloves and if I have to boil my clothes I can do that too, if things get bad. I don't have a dryer to use. If the ebola spreads and it gets closer, those are the things you end up doing, or burning them I guess. bag them and have PH come get them, or some hazmat team? who knows what they will implement . I do have bug out intentions if necessary but its a lousy time of year for it after another month. Still. I am plotting an evac. It's rather isolating.

And the man in Dallas is on a respirator in ICU isolation now. The doctor who was treated in NE is back in the hospital, ill ....... second phase symptoms?

It makes me feel like we are in the Perfect Storm and its beginning to really brew.

I heard on twitter tonight that some stupid teen joked something about ebola symptoms he had and the INFO police went and detained him.

but nobody official will close the borders or stop international travel from Africa, the ground zero for ebola. Really???

Just a thought, last night after dark, we were out covering things in the garden before the freeze. We noticed how many FEET our breath carried because we could see it in the cold air. Those are moisture droplets and we don't think much about how far they go in the daylight because we don't' see them.

I was concerned about the suspected case in HI because our pastor's wife and daughter were there. They came home Oct 2. I was glad to here that the person did not have Ebola but still they were on an international flight with who knows who.

So the doctor who was treated in NE is back in the hospital. Does that mean he was contagious during the time he was home?

We very rarely eat out. DH took BIL to Knoxville for his cancer check and they ate out Oct 1. The kids and I pretty much never do because of our food allergies. We don't go to large gatherings but we go to church and some of our friends there and in the neighborhood do. Pretty soon the area will be flooded with H2B or whatever letter they use now workers for the Christmas tree season. They come from Mexico and various Central and South American countries and are here until mid-Dec. My cousin has a big operation and often calls on DH or DS to check our a tree baler or other machinery. DH is not very conscious of such things and worrying about disinfecting hard surfaces, etc. That troubles me!

Edited by Daylily

Interesting article written by a nurse:

http://dtolar.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/ebola-a-nurses-perspective/

Good article. But.....she said twice that Ebola patient could be passing it on EVEN BEFORE THEY'RE SYMPTOMATIC. That's....reallllly, realllly, bad. Has anyone else heard this yet???? I'd like to verify cuz it's a severe deal-breaker!

==============

WE2....glad you mentioned public restrooms. Not to be TMI :gdtmi: but.....bluntly, this is a huge issue for anyone! <_<

With MS, I frequent restrooms whenever I leave my house. Sometimes I 'gotta go' every half hour! :o ......and those paper sheets are NOT GONNA BE ANY PROTECTION from this. I don't have the balance to "hover". Sheeeesh.....what other alternatives can we think of? Disposable gloves and Clorox wipes to clean the seat? Commercial toilets have aggressive flushing that will atomize droplets.....a thought we usually try not to think about. Wear the gloves until you open the door upon exiting? This virus staying alive for ...perhaps days....on inanimate surfaces?

Mebbe I can wait and go behind a tree in the woods? :unsure:

=================

Everyone is talking about the cleanup of that TX apartment...and sidewalk. Power washing the sidewalk would definitely spread DROPLETS! Operator is wearing no protection. Washing down the sewer system..... They left the four relatives in with the patient's bedding, etc for days?

=================

Me too. I take water pills and there are times when I will go every 20 mins. Maybe I will start wearing Depends lol... I took a pack of baby wipes and put them in a ziplock bag. I poured half a bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol in the bag and I will carry these with me everywhere I go. When I have to use the restroom I will open the door with them and wipe down everything I need to touch from door handles to faucets.

That woman on DrOz who says in such a droll voice...oh, so that might be what the lid's for! :008Laughing:

:o ....yeah, lid down!

....except in public restrooms. I'm visualizing pushing the flush with my foot [i never use my hand] and running out of the cubicle! :runcirclsmiley2:

Yeah, Jakk....'Depends' might be a better option. :blink::grinning-smiley-044:

===================

Talked to DH about this [chiropractors study the heavy end of bio science, of course] and he says that normal immune systems handle a load of microbes daily. This is perhaps gross to think about but actually common. But in the case of intestinal flu or certainly something as deadly-serious as Ebola.....it becomes a different matter.

So I asked him about how long it would take Clorox to disinfect a surface like a door handle or toilet seat. He wasn't sure but usually, it does not kill INSTANTLY with a single swipe. THIS WOULD BE THE NEXT THING TO RESEARCH.....does anyone know? Does the Clorox company have any claims? :shrug: And....chlorine vs alcohol?

So....who's going to go into public with masks, gloves, and shower/wash clothes upon returning home? Good Heavens.....that alone would be TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt. :fever: OTOH, many folks in Japan routinely wear masks ...at least when on public transportation. They have such a densely populated country.

I guess we're all trying to stay at least a few steps of what's happening by researching and making some choices now. Cuz Situation A could turn into Situation D in a big hurry. HOPEFULLY NOT BUT... I'm still thinking about this but.....oddly thankful that I don't get out much. :sigh:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I found this on Ehow regarding alcohol and disinfection:

>>In addition to damaging the integrity of cellular walls, rubbing alcohol also denatures proteins, meaning it can also be used to kill viruses on contact. Both viruses and bacteria are less stable when outside of the body or other biological host, meaning that germs on surfaces are far easier to kill than if they were in the body. Rubbing isopropyl alcohol on the skin or spraying it on hard surfaces can kill both bacteria and viruses on those surfaces.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6362900_organisms-isopropyl-alcohol-kill_.html

If it gets bad in my area I will wear a mask and gloves. I'd like to avoid going anywhere crowded though. I'm pretty good with stored foods that we could live on for a few months if we have to. This month has an extra payday in it so I'm going to use the next paycheck to get more shelf stable foods. If it comes to SIP our diet will change drastically. I have tons of rice, pasta, oats and wheat stored, but in the past year we have changed how we eat. We don't eat those things!! I didn't want to give them away because in a true SHTF scenario we will eat what have stored.

All of this talk reminds me of when AIDS first started appearing in the US. No one knew the real answers so a lot of guessing and ostracizing was going on. Also a lot of panic. Of course back then we didn't know all of the ways it could/couldn't be spread. Most people were so frightened...and rightly so because we didn't know.

My questions are:

1) If it can be transmitted through saliva and sweat, then are the sneeze and cough droplets contagious? I'm thinking yes. How long are those droplets that have landed on something non-human alive?

2) If a person with sweat on their hands shakes hands with you and you have a cut on your hand, can it be transferred that way? Or if you shake hands and later rub your eyes, how long will the virus live ON your body without actually setting up it's nasty little factory? In other words, could it be washed/alcoholed off before entering a body?

3) How long can it live away from a hosts body? I know it is still alive in a corpse but I'm not sure for how long. But I'm not likely to come in contact with that accidently. What I'd like to know is can it live without a human body, such as a toilet seat or door handle and if so for how long? Again, if sweaty hand touches a door handle can the virus be transmitted to an inanimate object and if so how long will the virus live there?

4) Does everyone who comes in contact with the virus (not just the person but the actual virus) develop Ebola?

Just a "levity" for a minute. I was watching a guy from the CDC give a news conference and all at once he said, "Full Stop". I wondered what that meant. Then it dawned on me he was reading a teleprompter. He read the words 'full stop' that was supposed to be used as a cue to take a pause for emphasis. And he does. Yeah I know, I'm easily amused.

It's at 8:02 on the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/05/cdc-says-no-ebola-for-district-patient-still-not-inclined-to-close-us-points/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl19%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D540538

Israel is reporting that the ebola patientin Dallas has died. I wonder if that's true or they're just mistaken. Surely if he died they would be reporting it on our news. If he's still alive how awful for the family and everyone here that is so scared.

Here's the link: http://dtolar.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/ebola-a-nurses-perspective/

I don't think it's true, but I do know he is very critical, at least that's what they say.

I'm suppose to go to Lubbock tomorrow to dr. and thinking of calling it off. Bigger town, dr's office, IDK kinda worried about it.

He was reported to be on a respirator and had contact with a homeless man who has been located, accding to cbs Dallas....... who was out and about all this time ...... you know the term mission creep , regarding troops being sent piecemeal as boots on the ground? This is Ebola Creep. I hope the man didn't get infected and wish him well but if he did, his lifestyle probably is going to make it difficult to cure and save him because he is very likely chronically under nourished.

I just downloaded and read one short free kindle book on ebola.... jeepers had it in the list. The guy made sense, but isolation centers are only in major cities??? What about more rural counties??

It was sort of chilling , reading it but a fast read.

Definitely prep for SIP, at least a month, if it spreads in your area.

There were reports too from news agencies on twitter that one person is possibly sick with it in Kansas City...... I do not know what their travel itinerary may have been lately, but I think they said he was travelling prior to getting ill.

I am also seeing stuff on illegals coming across southern Border with it ....... from Africa. They want our medical care?

ummmm...... if they only knew..........

:sigh: Knitting is my sanity these days because the news truly sucks! At least I am learning a skill that is non electric except for lighting , and it makes nice stuff to wear or use!

We have a wonderful Nurse Pract. who attends our Church. She is a hugger and greets everyone. Today she was doing the "fist bump" to everyone and saying no more handshaking. She even went to the teenagers. They got a kick out of it, but she seemed very serious to me.

I just downloaded and read one short free kindle book on ebola.... jeepers had it in the list. The guy made sense, but isolation centers are only in major cities??? What about more rural counties??

It was sort of chilling , reading it but a fast read.

Definitely prep for SIP, at least a month, if it spreads in your area.

^SNIP^

I see one of the novels is still free for Kindle. You don't have to have a Kindle to read them. You can just download Amazons "Kindle PC" for free and read the free books on your computer.

The book I'm thinking about is Ebola K and not bad at all for a freebie!

http://www.amazon.com/Ebola-Terrorism-Thriller-Bobby-Adair-ebook/dp/B00NEDGH5C/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1412551180&sr=1-1&keywords=ebola+k

Israel is reporting that the ebola patientin Dallas has died. I wonder if that's true or they're just mistaken. Surely if he died they would be reporting it on our news. If he's still alive how awful for the family and everyone here that is so scared.

Here's the link: http://dtolar.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/ebola-a-nurses-perspective/

I don't think it's true, but I do know he is very critical, at least that's what they say.

I'm suppose to go to Lubbock tomorrow to dr. and thinking of calling it off. Bigger town, dr's office, IDK kinda worried about it.

Where does it say he died? In the comments or the blog post?