MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

13 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

In case I forget, I just tuck a cloth Hawaiian one into my front jeans pocket...gift from DD2's store.  It's come in handy more than once....oops.  NOT much protection for me or others.....but then most don't have much protection from virus anyway.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Around here the signs on the stores say "a non-medical grade mask" is required. WHY??? If they are supposed to prevent the spread of a scary deadly virus shouldn't they actually be capable of doing it???

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

If they are supposed to prevent the spread of a scary deadly virus shouldn't they actually be capable of doing it???

You'd think, right?  There is all that data about the itty bitty virus being encapsulated in spit...and that's what the masks are supposed to be catching.  :shrug:  Some of it. 

MtRider  .....noted that many articles regarding this topic are unavailable now....have to register thru Facebook.  :scratchhead:

• Like 3

I have Church this morning and then cleaning house.
Sweep, dust, clean bathrooms, wash rugs.
May go through recipes for Christmas and see what I may do.

Made jalapeno popper meatballs, yesterday. They were a hit! Froze some for Christmas.

• Like 1

I had a glorious afternoon and most of the evening to myself yesterday.  I went through a 6-hour video for the system I use for goal setting (well, one of them...).  I'm just setting goals that don't require life as normal for now.  Even if we do get locked down (which is rather unlikely in our area), I can still work on my basic level of fitness, figuring out what I want to be when I grow up, decluttering, and straightening out our finances (although that will be MUCH easier if we don't get locked down...).

Drank tea.  Dreamt.  Plotted.  Planned.  All in all, a fabulous day.

• Like 4

Would you mind sharing the name of your system? I love goal setting and haven't had much time for it this month, and I have several that I listen to, read or watch. One must have to have time and quiet to be able to think a complete thought in order to set goals. Or at least I do! Fitness and decluttering are two of my priorities every year.

9 minutes ago, Daylily said:

Would you mind sharing the name of your system? I love goal setting and haven't had much time for it this month, and I have several that I listen to, read or watch. One must have to have time and quiet to be able to think a complete thought in order to set goals. Or at least I do! Fitness and decluttering are two of my priorities every year.

I'm using PowerSheets from Cultivate What Matters.  Here's the first planning video from last year if you'd like to see kind of how they're put together (this year, they're putting it as a course for people who've bought them): https://cultivatewhatmatters.com/blogs/cwm/how-to-set-goals-with-your-powersheets-1?_pos=6&_sid=4b0b67e53&_ss=r

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Daylily said:

That's cool! I got a mini class free from them in a Ultimate Bundle Productivity deal and liked it. I drooled over the PowerSheets and wondered if I would actually use them. What do you like about them? Anything you dislike?

They're great as long as I make sure I sit down and take the time to go through them.  :24:  I did their big long 6-hour planning session yesterday (it was a separate purchase, but definitely raised some good points I hadn't thought of).

• Like 2

Ordered Storm a muzzle.  :(  Didn’t want to, but he’s extremely aggressive , if anyone knocks on the door. After the way he was at the vet, I don’t need the liability.  Here’s the one I chose...

0045C86D-8A5A-4C9A-92FE-F0963D3ABA16.jpeg

It allows him to drink, bark & breathe, he’s a mouth breather & hyper. We just can not trust him around other people. It’s taken all my strength, with a choke chain to hold him back from certain people. Other people, he’s all love to.  Sigh.  I will be walking with him, with muzzle & vest, which has a patch, “Do Not Pet”. So, I can try to start walking.... yup, I need to.  Gunny is amazing when I walk him, with my walking stick, he stays just behind me & stops, when I have to rest. Storm is another story, I will keep you updated on his progress.  

• Sad 6

:(   Annarchy?  What happened to our good boy?  Did he show any of this previously?  Thot he was getting on famously.  Soooo sad!  Is he aggressive with Gunny or you two?  Liability ...oye!  Gotta watch that, for sure.  :(

Well, I fell asleep last nite by 1AM.   I think it was STILL snowing.  Actually we've only had patches of snow, off and on.  Sometimes great big flakes tho....which add up in a hurry. 

At 9AM this morning, I was still deeply asleep.  DH had left at 5AM for his last day of work for this year.  Didn't wake me.  But BARK*BARK*BARK SHHHHHOOOOPHFFF   BARK*BARK*BARK  SHHHHHOOOOPHFFF   certainly did wake me.  :wacko:  Wha....? 

Oh...it's Koa announcing the snowplow guy.   DH called him last nite.  I stumble into my insulated coveralls....then take them off to run to bathroom [of course] then back into that and boots/hat/insulated gloves.  ITS COLD!!!  Sunny but COLD! 

Give S the $ and we discuss how he can plow differently so we don't run out of room like last year.  Since we do NOT melt much from those great huge piles of snow he pushes.  So he shoved a LOT more over into the trees.  Yesssss!  That's what I tried to tell him last year but he can't see the basic lay of the land after the snow covers it.  With a truck plow, W always pushed a lot of snow down the hill to take it away.  Can't do that with a small ATV plow.  He said if we ever got a 3' blizzard, he has a guy with a truck. 

I did the shovel work around close to my truck which I did not even try to start/move on this COLD morning.  Didn't even finish before I WAS FINISHED.  Do have to save enough energy to get back UP the stairs.  :0327:      Well, it looks pretty good and the sun coming inside the windows was quite warm today.  Still a very COLD 40*

Beyond that, didn't do much.  :imoksmiley:  Nope!  Fed myself and dog.  :pc_coffee:  which is why I hate incessant snow in winter!!!!  It drains me so I can't get anything ELSE done!  :motz_6:  

MtRider  ....naw, lil' blue-faced FRUSTRATION guy has WAY more energy than me today....  

• Like 3

Annarchy, Sounds like he is very protective. That might come in handy one day. One of the reasons I so dearly miss the dog I had. She would go for the throat, then ask questions. Ii was never afraid to be in house by myself with her around. We didn't mussel her because she would learn who was who and had no problems with friends and family once she knew who they were. Though we have had to pull her back a few times. She was a med. size dog and easy to handle. Would love to have another one just like her. She's been in doggie heaven now for over 35 years. 

I have been very tired past few days. DH has his yearly sinus mess and gave it to me. Have it under control now, but still tired. Energy slow to come back. 

I think DH's allergy doctor has retired. Haven't been able to get hold of his office. No answering service either. Will get his family doctor to refill his inhalers.

Today I washed sheets and blankets, Then dusted.  cleaned kitchen and then went through all the first aid stuff. It all went into that big duffle bag/ suitcase and now I can find what I need. I have a huge supply of first aid stuff. So now I can happily say it is all together in one place. Now I have to go through the medicines and get that sorted and trash anything that might be to far out of date. Hopefully not much is out of date, but you never know. Mostly vits. and cold meds. But still a lot of prescription meds that we have been pulled off of for one reason or another. They are still good. Just changed around abit. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Annarchy, I don't blame you one bit. Others safety has to come first. And the liability...don't even want to think about those numbers. Poor fella. Something must be giving him flashbacks of some unpleasant happenings. Hope he doesn't try to fight you when you put it on him. Make it a pleasant experience. A treat before it goes on, a happy walk and a treat when it comes off maybe. Maybe something to look forward to when he see it. Or maybe if he sees you with a mask on he can relate. I don't know. Just hoping for the best.  :hug3:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Today was a typical on again, off again day.  Since my last hospitalization, Mary's back has been quite touchy, so she takes more breaks than usual.  I have to sit down a lot due to my hip replacement.  Recovery on this one is faster though because they went in from the side, not the rear, so I do not sit on my surgical incision.  Much less pain.  Much faster healing.  All our Christmas decorations are up and attracting the usual attention.  We used the same theme as last year, grouoping our display like the north pole factory, with "air freight" "rail freight" divisions, and of course a "naughty department" which is where we put our Grinch out.  Everyone laughs at that one.  We also are starting to expand into the larger back yard area with the a "resort" theme.  That is where the Christmas camper will go, the campfire display with Santa & reindeer roasting marshmallows, Santa in the fishing boat, etc.  All the alternative stuff will fit that theme.  

Our black lab puppy is getting a little wild so he is in "training mode" to teach him some better manners.  No jumping on people, for example unless he gets the come-on-up sighal (patting the chest).  He likes that one.  We are having to teach him what is OK to chew and what is not.  That will be aa little harder.  But he is bright, just uber-boisterous!

Jack the aussie is behaving better as we have determined what works with him and what does not.  He does not like changes in routine.  He LOVES his "new job: which is to make a perimeter check of our yard in the morning and again at dusk.  He loves checking things out, and heels very nicely as we walk.  We do, of course, allow him playing time as well.  We have discovered his food dish is  major conflict source, so nobody eats out of his bowl except him.  We listen when he barks...is it a complaining bark or a hostile one?  so we can take appropriate action.  So I think Mr Jack issues are pretty well handled.  We tried putting a muzzle on him, but he ate one (yup) and knows how to get out of the other one in about 1-0 seconds.  So we are using strict training with lots of praise for good work, and giving him jobs to keep him interested in being good, not making mischief.  A bit of a juggling issue sometimes, but worth the effort.  He is very protective of his pack, and worries when someone is missing (he had issues when I had surgery) but responds well to a phone call to talk to him, calming down considerably.   

We are now in Christmas Cookie Making mode so we can get them made, decorated and sent out to friends by Christmas.  Our freezers are full of meats (we have wonderful end of year sales here....January all the prices go up and sales quit untl May) so we are taking advantage of the sales.  We have to pack thoughtfully to fit everything in, but it is worth it.  The last sale we got steaks, pork loin roasts (we cut up into smaller roasts and thick boneless chops for grilling), ground chuck was half price if bought in bulk (so we did), and the spiral cut hams were so poplar we had to get a rain check.  We also got a turkey (69 cents a pound with a $20 purchase....easy with the sale meats....which I promptly roasted, boned, and froze, making stock from the carcass as well.  Our garden is growing nicely although we had to tarp it when we had some sub freezing weather.  We picked the last of the green bell peppers on Friday.  Picked the lettuce already; next upop will be collards and fresh cabbage (the heads are getting nice and big).  We also scored 2 for one prices on canned veggies, so we stocked uo on our usual ones (corn, green beans, yellow beans, carrots, and peas.  So our pantry is nicely full.

Once the Christmas stuff is done I will be setting up a compost area.  We are a bit aghast at all the trash (mostly superfluous packaging) we are accumulating, so we now have a three tier system....burnables, which we have a burn pit for now, compostables, which will be composted, and the stuff we will still have to take to the dump.  My latest wise crack is that I have no carbon footprint anymore, since all my surgeries my footprint is now titanium.  (the medical folks think that is hilarious).  We also joke about how I will have to leave all my prosthetic parts to Mary in my will so she can recycle all the metals I now have in my body.  My dad, bless him, sent a Christmas present of $15,000 (all he could send tax free) for me to put on the principal of the mortgage.  He says maybe we can re-finance while rates are still reasonable, since we are thinking things might get expensive in the future.  The bank tellers want him to adopt them as well. At 92 he is still a pretty cool Dad and gives excellent advice when I have a question for him.    So covid or not, life is good.  I am a hermit at heart so staying home suits me fine, and keeps us busy.

• Like 7

Welcome back Kappy! So good to see you posting again. Sorry you were out of commission with your hip. Hopefully it's taken care for good now. Hope Mary's back will settle down too! 

It's so nice to be prepared with a full pantry when health issues etc. crop up. One less worry. I believe prices will go up after the first too. 

That was so generous of your father! Ya know, no matter how old we get, our kids will always be our kids. Once a parent, always a parent. We never stop worrying about them and trying to take care of them. Well done Mr. Kappy. 

• Like 3

Glad you are recovering well, Kappy!  Hope Mary is taking it a little easy, too!

DH has an eye doctor appt. at noon, then I hope to stop at a local salvage grocery, mostly for spices.

Already on second load of laundry and have gone through baking supplies so I know what I need for banana breads and cookies.

I may dig up turnips this afternoon.  Our extra dog jumps the fence and poops in the garden so I think I'm about done with it.  Still have to cut collards and that's the end of it.  I will leave them, but take down the fence.

Sure hope to make contact with the fellow in jail soon.  Extra large dog is being a bit much.  

Have a good day, you all!

• Like 3

Kappy, so glad you are on the mend with your hip.  And that Mary is doing well also.  That was so nice of your dad to do what he did.  Will pray for Mary's back to heal and for you to continue to heal.  Seems you are both doing well for what you have been through. That is a good thing. 

DH is still in bed asleep.  I think I am going to have to get him up soon, Though I have enjoyed the quiet time this morning. It has been raining off and on. We are going to have a nor eastern coming in tonight and tomorrow.  

DH's cousin called and talked with DH yesterday and wants to get him out to drive around. DH said he couldn't do it with all his issues. I was a bit upset that he turned him down on that offer. It would have given me some free time and him something to do other than sit in a chair all day and do nothing but watch TV.  I am going to try to get him out next week or this weekend to see the Christmas lights. I am not going to give him a choice. He will comply. He needs a change of scenery. 

Daughter and her DH and grandson close on house Jan. 15th. The movers will be packing up on the 11th. Company will be putting them in appt. till they find a house. They went to Carolina this past weekend and saw a couple of houses but not quiet the area they were wanting. So they are still looking. Hope they can find something with a lot of land as that is what they want. 

• Like 3

I'm planning to go to Indy either tomorrow or Wednesday. I have to deliver Christmas. I should have had it all sent via Amazon but they were out of some things. So I bought locally. I'm not planning to stay for Christmas. They will surely have a house full again. Ugh. 

I was looking up attachments for a KitchenAid stand mixer. They have a grain mill grinder thingy. Well, that's interesting. I'll check it out better when I have more time. Come on stimulus package! 

• Like 4

Kappy is back!  As you will note when you catch up on posts, you were missed!  Glad you have another surgery out of the way.  My mom had hip surgery at 88 yrs old and has completely recovered so that bodes well for those of us younger.  They do that one very well these days, thankfully.  Bet your Christmas display is the delight of kids [any age] far and wide. 

Jeepers......another Christmas Road Trip?  :santa:   Can we ride inside this time????   :laughkick:  Will YouKnowWho get to open Grma presents while Grma is there?  Are you going to do any projects at your INDY house during your stay?  One of these days, you're gonna move, right?  ;) 

:pray:   ...for LittleSister's dd and dh ...for the move to be smooth and their new house to be exactly where God needs them to be. 

Miki.....in the garden?  How RUDE!  :blink:  Hope new boarder can move along soon.  :hug3:

DH is replacing the rubber part of the front door threshold.  Making funny exertion noises do mebbe I'd better go help.  Detail work is not his strong point.  ;) 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

Road trip coming up. All are welcome. Since Sam's didn't have any bales of TP this time I think I can fit you all inside the Jeep. Not making any promises though. Poor OOTO had a pretty rough ride last year. 

I'm going to let his mom take the gifts home and let them be from Santa. She might say one or two are from me. I don't care either way. Just so he has a good time. That's all I care about. He won't remember what's what anyway. DIL really reeled back on the presents this year. Some of it was her fault though.

Last year she left stuff in his Amazon list that should have been removed. I went ahead and bought them. Then, she wrapped every little thing like socks and new tooth brushes etc. This year I got about six things. With whatever they got plus the another grandparents, he will have a good Christmas. My D-ex got him some sort of sled with three runners that you sit on and steer. That will be fun because they have a really steep driveway. Son will have fun pulling it back up the icy driveway...a million times a day.  LOL. 

I AM going to get the kitchen cleaned out. I want to vacuum the mouse droppings, shudder, and sanitize the cabinets and put shelf liner down. Then run all the dishes through the dish washer and get them put away. 

I'd like to start painting some of the closets. Probably won't have time though. It usually takes me two days to recoup from the drive and by then I'm ready to come home. Plus they seem to think I going over there to visit with them all evening. No. I want to go work. Then they get their little feelers hurt. :rolleyes:

When ever I can get the kitchen cleaned up, I'm thinking I can contact a painter to come in and start painting. Some of them advertise that if you explain everything you want and send pictures, they can give you an estimate. My house is still listed on Zillow so it shows pictures of all the rooms online. That should help. I'm not able to do most of the painting because there are too many vaulted ceilings. Five I think. Plus with my balance issues + a paint can + a ladder = New Carpets that I don't need. 

I can't decide what color to paint each room. Someone said to have it painted all one color and then if I want to add something different I could paint an accent wall myself. A normal size wall. Don't know. I'm thinking they can bring in a spray gun and do all the ceilings in a day. 

• Like 4

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!  OOTO....ROAD TRIP!  No icicles in our hair this time....{mebbe}?  :unsure:  But Cheetos and Rootbeer!  Whatcha bringing? 

MtRider  :whistling:  ....too bad that car behind Jeepers got my whole bag of Cheetos in the windshield, huh?  Kinda windy ridin' up top! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It was about 38 with an added wind chill when I left the house this morning.
I had Doctor appt. -re-check- today. Went fine.
Walmart- they finally had the fruitcake mix I add to banana bread.
Then to day old bread store where they actually had a few loves of my low calorie bread.
Once home, I made 3 logs of sugar cookie dough and 3 logs of white chocolate chip dough.
They are all in the freezer but one, which I will bake tomorrow.

The drama with the fellow in jail is ongoing, so I just try not to participate, and yes we still have his dog.

• Like 1

Have to run to DG first for a couple of needed items.
Get Italian sausage with bell peppers and onions going in Crock Pot for dinner.
Make Spoon bread casserole for a funeral dinner this afternoon and drop it off at Church.
Bake the one roll of cookies that I didn't freeze.
Vacuum rug.
DH is already off to a doc appt. When he gets home, we are going to the jail that his friend is in to get his personal effects so that DH can see if she stole his money and if not, pay his rent.
Then go to my favorite salvage grocery in that town. When I went to the one on Monday, the cashier was having to re-ring and entire buggy full of items and I had to leave. Sigh

• Like 1