MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

*Most 2 car garages are 20x20 so I'm comfortable with my 34ft clothesline which is front to back not 'all lines together.'  I currently only have it extended a bit over half where it is.  I can fit 2 king sheets and 3 pair of big men's pants per line with the current (half) extension.  King blankets and quilts are heavy so I prefer to do only 1 blanket per line with lighter weight sheets or such on the rest of the line.  The spacing is roughly the same as the old metal T bar clothesline I had at my previous house.  The tension is not as tight as I might like, but so far it has not been an issue.  Single lines would be easier to change the tension, but I like that the retractable gives me 5 with a smaller hook point as one end is attached to a tree.   It hooks in the middle and the 'arms' hang out past the tree.  

We did a big grocery trip on Saturday so I should only need 1 more grocery trip close to Christmas to finish out this year.   We went to Food Lion, Aldis, and BJs.   Toilet paper was scarce and paper towels were non-existent.    Aldi's had a few (less than 10) of the paper towel 6 packs so we got one.  They had 3 self check out lines and 2 registers open at BJs.   We waited in line for about half an hour to pay when we were done.    

We will eat out of the pantry/freezer for the next 4-6 weeks.  If things are calm enough then, I'll do another big trip.  If they are super crazy, we will stick with the pantry/freezer for another 4-6 weeks after that and revise as needed.  Seriously, I am not leaving this house after the hearing aid fiasco.  I mean it this time.  Nothing got done yesterday because I was still overwhelmed from Saturday's trip.  

DH is taking off early today to take baby to her dr. appt.  I cannot face leaving and she is due for shots.  Today I will get the dishes and laundry under control even if they topple and kill me.  Mt. St. Laundry is about to be conquered.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4

Walked first.
Did pet chores.
Called about my Tattler lids that were ordered on Oct. 11th. Lady said they would get them shipped today and they did. Makes me wonder when or if I would have gotten them if I had not called.
Laundry is done for the week.
Ran to store for old bananas. I get them cheap as I take a loaf of banana bread to employees.
I will make some banana bread this afternoon for friends.

• Like 3

We're not too worried.  The roommate that tested positive doesn't work at restaurant.....the other three do.  We're doing extra supplements, etc.  Washed all DH's clothes from work.  God is in control....either we will or won't.  I haven't said anything to my mom....certainly not my dad.  He's "had COVID" a number of times already.  :buttercup:  And they are out and about ALL THE TIME.  :shrug:  

DH went today for the turkey.  He isn't the most....observant of people.  :hidingsmile:His Situational Awareness is usually in the negative numbers.  :lol:   So he comes home and I'm hauling grocery sacks up the pulley.  I look down on steps:  Is that the turkey?  Yes.  It looks VERRRRY SMALL!"  So he takes a closer look....it's a turkey breast.  :(  No dark meat. :(   Ah well, it will thaw and cook fast.  Maybe we can by a whole one on the After sales??  :rolleyes:

He also found some whole cranberries and dropped off for my mom.  She has to make the cranberry sauce "from scratch" for my dad.  She forgot to get some during our grocery and Walmart trips last week. 

I DO hope/pray that we get snow...rain...anything!  We're CRISPY!!   AND I'm wearing my N95 just to hang clothes on the clothesline right outside the door.  DUST is billowing up from the road so bad!  Did walk dog tonite too.....with mask!!

MtRider  ...thanks for encouragement/prayers y'all.  We shall see...  :pray: 

• Like 7

I was looking for a smaller turkey and almost got just a breast, until I didn’t see the bulges for the legs.  The store had both in the same area, mixed together.  The 7.8 lb. one I got was hickory/apple wood smoked Saturday, then, wrapped & frozen, for the trip to MIL’s.  

Been busy preparing for that.  House sitter is set up, most everything is packed.  Then, the burnt house next to her house, is finally  being torn down. Finally!!!  But, mom said there is a lot of debris ending up in her yard, so she wants me to bring my leaf blower to blow it back in their yard. :ph34r:

Time to get back at it.  Thanks for the chuckles.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 6

Hubby has requested chicken-fried steak for Thanksgiving.  

Family Thanksgiving has been canceled, as our family is getting tested tomorrow due to exposure to known cases and one of the other sections of the family has had known exposure.

Instacart brought us groceries earlier (left them on the porch for us to bring in).  Hopefully our results are all negative and I can go back to work and to the grocery stores again after tomorrow.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Prayers for negative tests for everyone who has to get one! 

I'm not much of a meat eater. I usually just get a turkey breast now that I'm alone. I don't care for the dark meat. A smoked breast does sound really good. I wonder how it would taste canned? If it didn't get strong or off tasting it would make a good change from regular poultry. 

Safe travels Annarchy. 

• Like 5

Winds are supposed to be in ramping up to 50-70 mph through NM, from 11 am - 5 pm.  DH & I have decided to wait another day.  The dust storms in that area are deadly.  

I’m hoping to make small Dutch apple pies & a couple loaves of bread.

• Like 4

Drive safely when you do head out @Annarchy!  

Went to stores looking at smallish chest freezers this morning. Ended up ordering one online with free delivery. Should be here next Tuesday. Yay!
Went for my walk late morning.
Did pine cone crafts with my neighbors granddaughter.
Got things set up to cook tomorrow!
We have a houseguest with his dog for a couple of days.

My step daughter tested positive up in IL.  She doesn't feel good, but not too bad either.  Thanksgiving is cancelled for her family as her mom and a few others tested positive also.

Praying to stay well here in the South!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Annarchy,  Be careful making that drive and stay safe. 

Miki, I have been thinking about getting a small freezer, but have to figure out where to put it first. 

Sorry to hear your step daughter has this virus. Praying for her and family to not be to sick with it and for a fast recovery.

Jeepers still praying for neg. test and that no one in your family or DH's work place gets this virus. This is going to be a tough winter. 

We had a quick change in plans for Thanksgiving. I am going to have a ramp put on house rather DH likes it or not. It took me over 30 minutes to get him up the 4 steps he has to climb to get into house. Scared me this time. He has no muscle much in left leg and what therapy he had for strength is gone now because we had to put the therapy on hold. The right leg is the one the cancer was removed from and we went to doctor today to have bandages changed. Leg is weak.  So he could not lift the legs to get up steps. I was holding on to him and we took our time but the ramp is coming and coming fast. He will not know about it till it is said and done. He does not want one. It's not about what he wants this time, it is about what we need to keep him safe.

So Thanksgiving will just be family at my house as I just am not going to try to get DH out of our house and into their house where there are more steps. 

I am not ready for it, so will be working fast to get some things done.  

This is one year that I really can't wait for the holidays to be done and over. This is way to much on me. Kids moving away, DH in bad health. And Thanksgiving and Christmas is here.  All with this corona virus mess going on.  Me tired. Think I am going to bed early tonight, If I can get DH settled in bed early. He will stay up till midnight or later and I can't go to bed till he is in bed. We are going to have a talk about that. Wish me luck. 

Praying for everyone to have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.  So much to be thankful for despite the setbacks. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Littlesister, you are such a good care giver! But you matter too. A ramp will help keep both of you safe and you really do need one. He needs to remember that if you get down, then he is sunk too. If you fall or hurt your back or break a bone, then he will have to take care of you. There's a thought. 

Remember one of the first things they say on an air plane. Put your oxygen mask on you first so you can help others. Because you will be of no use to anyone else if you are passed out too. 

Said with love. :hug3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow...lot of concerns for praying....  :pray: 

--Annarchy/dh safe trip and the return trip toooo!  [with MIL, right?]

--The CG and the COVID tests....that they are accurate and deal with what truly is or is not!

--Miki's step dd and all the family 

--LittleSister/dH and her family coming and going.....I vote: get the ramp!  Safer for both of you.  Did broken hip with my mom ...NOT FUN!

DH and I are still feeling fine.  I suppose he'll have to call the restaurant to see if those other 3 tested today.  :unsure: 

We did get a few inches of snow.....  :amen:    I had left socks on the clothesline last nite - forgot about weather change.  :clothesline:  :frozen:  BUT.... I got to walk on the road tonite WITHOUT N95  :bounce:  NO DUST!  :happy0203:  Course I need to find some good supportive boots now, since my feet like arch supports and the old boots didn't feel very good.  Thankful that when I slipped [in those old boots] tonite on the stairs outside, I managed to hang onto the railing and kinda spun around but didn't face-plant on the steps.  Whew...close, and it woulda hurt!  :o  

MtRider   ...We're at zero right now...holding.  Hope it doesn't go below.  :frozen: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

I once told my aunt that the ramp was for me not her.  "I am just so out of shape I cannot help like I need to.  I need this ramp for *me* so *I* can get things done right.  Please help me with this.  I know you need it too, but with both of us needing it, it just made so much sense."   :whistling:  It worked and we got a ramp  at her house.  

• Like 6
On 11/24/2020 at 7:24 AM, Annarchy said:

Winds are supposed to be in ramping up to 50-70 mph through NM, from 11 am - 5 pm.  DH & I have decided to wait another day.  The dust storms in that area are deadly.  

I’m hoping to make small Dutch apple pies & a couple loaves of bread.

Mom and I were driving to Arizona one time and googled "How to survive a haboob" because the wind and dust were getting pretty bad.  Everything we found told you to press your nose into your camel to filter the air.  :24:

All our tests came back negative.  We've still decided we're just not going to the big family Thanksgiving 2 hours away.  Jury is still out on whether we'll go visit my parents.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 7

Glad you all are negative @TheCG!

Well, I got almost 2 hours sleep last night. And I was doing so well for a couple of weeks!

So, up at 5.
Made coffee and got turkey in the oven.
Made broccoli and rice casserole.
Made stuffing and Green bean casserole.

Tukey should be done about 8:30. After it rests a bit, will start packaging and putting away.
Sides should be done around 9 and then the same will be done with them.

For us, today is Thanksgiving and whenever we want to eat.
After all is put away, I am taking the rest of the day off!

• Like 3

Wonderful news on your test TheCG! Did they tell you where to press your nose against your camel? That could be an important deTAIL.  :D

Sorry to hear about your step daughter Miki. Hope she recovers quickly with no lasting effects.  :pray:

I went to do a little shopping yesterday. I need some cold type food. But mostly I wanted to get something for today, Thanksgiving. I went to Subway and passed by the grocery store. It looked packed so I drove on by. I don't need anything that bad. 

Figured I'd go over to the drugstore. They have a little grocery section. I sort of needed a loaf of bread. That little store has so much to offer. I got one of those little carts...for my bread and ended up filling it up. Bread, soup, crackers, coffee, salad etc. Even their fruit and veggies looked good. It might have been a few cents more, I don't know. I can't remember prices but it was worth it to stay out of the grocery store the day before Thanksgiving. I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. Then she showed up...

Right beside me. She was in my space and I told her about herself. She didn't like being called out. I didn't care. Words were exchanged. I have a mouth on me. She backed off. Way off. I was so mad. She was standing right next to me. I was ready to take her out in the parking lot and drag her for filth. But I'm a lady.  :008Laughing:

The last thing I remember was me pointing a finger at her and telling her to shut up. She did. Beats a parking lot rumble I guess. Although I was in the mood. Tempers are frayed. Best I avoid people for a multitude of reasons right now. 

Note to self. If riots break out in my hood I'd best stay home because I can't keep my mouth shut when confronted. 

RIP Helen Reddy

BREAKING NEWS. BREAKING NEWS!

I just heard on the radio that today is only Wednesday. I thought it was Thanksgiving already. Sigh.

Edited by Jeepers
I'm A Dolt
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
On 11/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, Littlesister said:

This is one year that I really can't wait for the holidays to be done and over. This is way to much on me. Kids moving away, DH in bad health. And Thanksgiving and Christmas is here.  All with this corona virus mess going on.  Me tired. Think I am going to bed early tonight, If I can get DH settled in bed early. He will stay up till midnight or later and I can't go to bed till he is in bed. We are going to have a talk about that. Wish me luck.

Me too this year.  :hug3: Finally made the decision for mom that we're not going to the big family bash tomorrow. It's about 70 miles away, about 10 noise children, and a small toilet she can't maneuver. So, she will go HOURS and not drink or go to the bathroom so that she doesn't have to deal with short toilets. I was so exhausted over all the theatrics, I just went and took a nap today. Tomorrow, I'll bake, make several salads and some turkey meat. We have lots of potatoes from the garden and canned jars of turkey broth for gravy. We'll survive. I just get tired of all the emotional baggage she carries.  :rolleyes: Hopefully, Christmas won't be so dramatic. Between patient care and the virus, I'm tired.  :0327:

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!

Since I did all my cooking yesterday in a frenzy, today we will have all leftovers as there is plaenty of everything.
Watched Christmas Vacation yesterday-- a yearly tradition.
Went to bed at 6 pm. Sunday night 3 hours sleep and Monday night 2 hours sleep. I was tired!

My list for today includes making out Christmas cards, wrapping my thrift shop gifts for DH, fertilizing the garden to keep the greens going and maybe decorating the front porch. Might run out of energy, though!

Trying to take it easy!

Also!  Our Church is closed for two weeks. Music and office staff are positive. I haven't been near any of them. Kind of makes me glad I can't sing!

• Like 4

I like that movie too. Sparky Griswald reminds me of one of my neighbors. Cousin Eddie reminds me of most of my family. :008Laughing: I laugh out loud when the squirrel gets on Clark's back. I'm going to have to watch it tonigjht! 

Sorry about some of your church members. Glad you are safe though. :hug3:I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Doesn't stop me from bellowing them out though. 

I'm just hanging out today. I'm fine tuning my food shopping list. I'm splitting it between Wal-Mart and Amazon. Which ever has the cheapest item. I was going to go shopping tomorrow to top off my pantry but remembered it will be Black Friday. No way! If I'm out I might do a drive by just to be nosey. Will not be exiting the car. 

DIL only put two toys in G-sons wish list. I ordered them last night. I was afraid to wait until Cyber Monday. Afraid they would be sold out. So, tonight I'm going to look on online to see if I can find a few more things a four year old boy might like.

When I talk to son tonight I'm going to tell him I found a really cute wood burning set for G-son for Chrisrmas. :24:  I have to tell him on the phone because there is no way I could keep a straight face in person. 

Edited by Jeepers
I hate Kindle auto correct. And I left out a word.
  • Like 3

We had a nice, peaceful Thanksgiving once we got there......  :busted: 

I completely spaced out...didn't set alarm.  DH made breakfast and I took one bite and exclaimed:  We have to get the turkey in the oven!!  It was 9am already.  :runcirclsmiley2:

I do NOT think clearly for the first couple hours of most days.  :sassing:  

So I dropped my fork and grabbed the turkey and began to get all the missed feather bits out.  Did all the rest and shove in the oven by 9:30.  Half hour to folks and eat at noon......Welllll, not really.  However, the other error was DH mistakenly getting that turkey breast instead of the whole bird.  :rolleyes:   That error is why it cooked quickly enough to arrive only half hour late.  He'd made sweet tater pie yesterday.

Once at my folks' we helped my mom finish the mashed potatoes... gave over the turkey juice so she could finish her gravy... and got everything to the table.  Then we ate and ate.  I mostly cleaned up so it wouldn't strain my mom.  She doesn't have a bottle brush thing to clean the baster....so I wrestled with that but it was futile.  No chop stick.  No skewers.  NOTHING to fit down there and clean it. 

Anyway, I wasn't feeling well ...I can't eat even small portions of that many dishes without serious discomfort.  DH had an herbal med that helps and fortunately had some along.  I was much happier soon.  Whew!

My mom and I made a lot of progress on a puzzle that had her stuck.  The guys watched different TV shows in different areas.  Lovely day.  I texted my niece a pic of some art my mom did.....niece texted back that she and my brother had both been trying to call the folks all day...."is their phone off the hook?"  

Sent my dad up to his cave and check phone.....yes, he's pushed some button and cut off incoming calls.  And yanno what?  It was a LOT LESS HECTIC for having no calls.  :lol:    [Our DD2 had also tried to call....ended up leaving message at our house. ]  So we'd packed up to leave [leaving half the pie for my dad] and then I texted Niece to try calling now.  She got thru and we waved goodbye.  Nice timing!

Talked to DD1 for a bit after we'd gotten home and unloaded.  When she arrived at DD1's house, I told her to have DD1 call another day that isn't so hectic for them.  They'd be sitting down to eat and  :(   ....there was a death in SILs family a few days ago.  His Grma in her late 90s so it was expected but ...funeral/should they go to O'ahu/CAN they go cuz quarantine when they return to Maui.....  They decided not to go.  :(   Affect boys' school, etc.  But.....just tooooo much going on for them.   Call us another time.

All things considered, it was a marvelously calm time with my folks.  Little hectic here this morning but it worked out.  :amen:

MtRider ...hope you all had good times and good food too.  :wave:  

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Daylily said:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Miki, sorry to hear about your church family. There are two more from our church positive. That makes a total of 9.

Jeepers, lol. Don't stress him out too much! :)

Oh yeah, after what he put me through during his teen years... Now it's my turn. Bwaah ha ha. 

I told him and all he could do was sputter and stutter and stammer. LOL. He finally said to take it back. What am I trying to do, get his house burned down. Am I trying to kill his kid! (in reference to a little trampoline I bought him the last time I was there. It's for inside and has a bar to hold onto.) I told him I was just kidding. As we hung up he asked if I really bought one. :24:

The trampoline was meant to stay at my house. And DIL didn't want him to have a sand box because of sand fleas. I got one with a lid and it will stay in the garage covered. I got some 'dinosaur" eggs to hide in the sand. They came with little digging tools and brushes to use when you crack them open. There is a little dinosaur in each one. We can excavate this summer. Pffft. What happens at grandma's house...stays at grandma's house. :engel-smilies-10-1:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2