MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Thank you for letting me know euphrasyne. Glad you are ok on food. I am going to pack it up to take to the Church food ministry.  Just more than I will be able to use before it goes out of date.  Our church feeds about 40 families that can't afford to buy food so I know they can use it. 

Here it is 3:30 in the morning and I just can't sleep.  I will dose off and then wake up.  I hate nights like this and glad they don't happen often. Might be because I was taking the winter clothes out of dresser and putting the summer clothes in and I packed up Dh's winter clothes that was in the dresser. Might just be because of that.  But either way here I am on computer. Glad it has the blue light on. 

I have my mind on so many things I want to do around here. Things I had been planning on doing 2 years ago and was never able to get it done. Now I have time on my hands and laying in bed thinking about all the things I need to do is not getting me any rest.  Was thinking earlier about that yard sale for old books I have read and a lot of other things I have in the shed. Need to get that cleaned out.  

• Like 4

Well, the dry needling did not help my trigger thumb. Will call ortho doc and see about a cortizone shot, I guess. Don't want it but the oral steroids didn't work. Really don't want surgery.

Walked first this morning.
Cut up carrots for dog treats (with food processor).
Made s/f pudding and jello.
Found a recipe to make the cheese sauce for the mac and cheese I want to PC.
Got DH's meds set up for the next month and called in refills for him.
Next on my list is to check out the paperwork I received for our medical POA, wills, etc.

I got up this morning and my fitbit wasn't on my arm. Figured out the band had broken overnight. Repaired it for now with electrical tape. Can't even tell where it broke. LOL

• Like 4

:pray:  for Little Sister's peace of mind and sleep.  :hug3:

:pray:  for Euphrasyn's mammogram results!!!

:pray:  for anyone in BAD STORM areas AGAIN today!

:pray:  for Miki's thumb issues...that she finds something that works. 

:pray:  for all of us....insight on which way we should prepare ourselves and our loved ones.

MtRider  ....sheesh, I'm having a bad typing day  :unsure:   Took me 5 attempts to spell my screen name.  :buttercup:  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 3/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jeepers said:

I was thinking fox too. We used to have a couple of them around here. We never smelled them but we sure heard them. Very loud! Kind of an eerie screaming bark-ish sound. Sounded like a human in distress. Loud enough to wake you up in the night. 

I guess now we KNOW what the fox says!  :24: :girlneener: :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

euphrasyne :pray: all goes well with the mamogram. 

Miki also :pray: for your thumb to get much better.  I know how that can be. I have had surgery twice now on my fingers. Not any fun. I have to have knuckle replacement on 2 fingers.  Not going to do that for a long while. 

Also :pray: for everyone in path of the storms to stay safe.  

Mt. Rider yes, prayers that we all figure out what we need to be doing to prepare ourselves and loved ones for whatever happens in this world. I really do feel like my preparedness will be taking a different direction but not sure of which way as of yet. Guess only the next several months will tell.

• Like 4

Euphrasyne, Congratulations on your husbands raise at work! Couldn't come at a better time, huh! You've had an exciting week for sure.

I'll bet River is getting big now. Bless her sweet heart.  :cloud9:    I can still remember a picture you posted of you 'bare foot and pregnant in the kitchen in front of the stove.' Made me laugh right out loud. Still brings a smile. Time sure is flying by. 

• Like 4

Went to the feed and seed this morning.  I wasn't going to do a garden this year other than some tomatoes. But then I got to thinking about how Dh wanted me to do the garden last summer and I wasn't able to take care of him and do the garden. So I think he would have wanted me to do one this year as we had talked a little about it back in January.  So I am doing one. It won't be the big one we usually plant, but much more than tomatoes. He bought me an electric tiller that I could control and use easy a year ago. So I am going to try it out this spring.  I bought a lot of seeds, but also tomato plants, pepper plants, basil, lettuce, and some other herbs. So tomorrow I will get the herbs potted where I want them and the rest in the side garden and the section behind house. They had some canning jars but not many.  I didn't buy any though as I think I have enough for now.  Got my Roma tomatoes as well. I like those best for canning.

Came home and got sheets washed and bed made back up.   Went to market a bit later and Dh's cousin was there so we sat and talked for over an hour.  He is going to have some of the guys come over and get the ramp down, and help with some other heavy things I need to get done. So I will have plenty of help when I need it. Good to have his cousin and friends from the market I can depend on when I need something. Though I really hate asking for the help. But sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and holler for help.   Went to granddaughter's for dinner tonight and my DD had come down from Carolina also as they are here to empty the sheds and get the things they have from my house. Please, Please take the fish tank so Ii can get the fireplace cleaned out.  I want to get the grate and stuff out as the rain got down it again.  Got to get the work done on it.  And I have a good source for firewood now also. 

• Like 4

Glad you have support from your dh's cousin at the market, Little Sister.  Your kids are getting settled in NC ...and you get your space back.  :thumbs: 

Today the Colorado Doppler looked like the whole state has chicken pox.  Small blobs of blue [snow] and green [rain] alllll over the state.  .....ours was BLUE, of course.  But it was only a half-hearted attempt to snow today.  Bits here and there.  :shrug:  We've still got about a foot in most places....sinking down slowly into the thawed ground.  We'll take it.

DH and dog went to grocery and stocked up on mostly fresh veggies.  Filled in a couple holes.  I think I smell spaghetti....

MtRider  :feedme: 

• Like 3

Mt. Rider,  Dh and his cousin were more like brothers than cousins.  They did a lot together.  His cousin will help me to get the top price on anything I want to sell also as he has some outlets to that.  So I know if I sell anything I won't get cheated out of what it is worth. 

Granddaughter is going to help me with a yard sale either this fall or next spring. That depends on my figuring out what goes and what stays. 

Worked on garden this morning until DD and SIL came with the U-hall and then Granddaughter and her boyfriend came.  So he had the largest U-hall truck he could find in driveway and his truck and camper sitting on side of the street by house for a few hours.  They packed up a lot of the things they needed to take back and what they had room for.  They are coming back either next weekend or the weekend after to pick up the rest. 

Fish tank,  air compressor, the large tiller, lawnmower, edger, weed eater, the blower and pressure washer.  They all have pull cords and I just can't pull those cords and get them started.  I do have my electric tiller and that works for me. So I am good for that. As for the other stuff, I have some one that does my yard work and I will just hire someone to pressure wash what needs cleaning as it would just be easier on me. I am going to get that shed cleaned out first as when I get the ramp removed, I am keeping the lumber and putting it in the shed.  Lumber is costing a fortune now. If I don't use it again as a ramp. I might be able to get one or two raised beds made from it.  Something to think about for next year. 

I have so many tools to go through.  I never realized how much Dh had when it came to tools. Guess that comes from being a pipefitter and all the other things he used to do.  Will talk with Dh's cousin about the monster pipe wrenches. I will never use those. Just getting things together a little at a time after my DD and SIL gets the big stuff out.  I am going down next week to buy a small air compressor as that is all I need. Don't want to keep the monster 220 one. Takes up half a wall in garage.  I know Dh built it but I just can't use it for the things he did. So I am letting that go. 

At least they got their stuff that I was holding for them out of the house. That now gives me room to go through things around here. Going to start boxing up the things out of the china closet so I can get the floor jacked up.  Not going to be fun trying to move that thing. It is heavy. 

• Like 4

We had hard rain and bad lighting early this morning, but had cleared up in time for church.  After church went to Cemetery.  Came home had some lunch and then went to dollar tree to get some artificial flowers.  Harris Teeter was next to that so went in there and bought a fern to put on top of bookcase in living room. They only had one, so looking for another plant for the top of other bookcase. Got my lettuce and thyme planted but still have to get the tomatoes and things planted.  Hoping weather will be good tomorrow so I can get them done. Went to Coleman's nursery and they didn't have a lot of anything. So didn't get any flowers from there.  Need to go to Lowe's tomorrow for cow manure and bone meal. Before I can get the tomatoes planted. Dh had a formula he used.  1 cup bone meal, 1 cup dehydrated cow manure,  1 cup pellet lime, 2 TBSP garden fertilizer (5-10-5 or Scotts veggie food).  Put the mixture in each hole and mix up with the dirt. Then put in tomato plant and cover. Water in well with miracle-gro. This has always worked for him. So I am using that same formula. 

Hoping and praying everyone got through those storms without any issues. 

When I got home from Church this morning, I had a huge package on front porch.  It was the pint wide mouth canning jars I had ordered 6 months ago. I had ordered 6 cases.   I had forgotten about them as they were on back order and with everything going on, I just totally had not remembered ordering them. So now I have those 6 cases, plus the 4 cases I found in stores the past 2 months. So won't need anymore canning jars for a long while. Will need to get started on canning from the freezer within the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 4

Good Morning!  A moment of quiet time to read.  Hope everyone is staying safe.  :pray:

MIL is doing good.  We managed to find a few of her TV shows to watch, including her local news-on line.  Love it or List it, has become a favorite of hers, because she is binging from season 1 episode 1, laughing how young they look and how much building styles have changed.

Back to work here today.  Harvested & processed the fava beans, last week, need to get out there & pick again.  Finish the laundry from Sat. cleaning day, get DH’s fishing license, and, and, and, whatever else that pops up.

• Like 5

This year's selection of plants to kill has been mostly purchased and planted.  There are still a few more that we'll add, but getting them into soil the day after buying them has to be a record for me.

• Haha 7

I went to Walmart at 7 AM this morning. Got that over for the month. They were fully stocked, but prices are creeping up.

When I came out of the store, I found a little plastic duck on my door handle with a note saying "You've been ducked by a fellow Jeeper'  You know who I thought of first!  LOL  Now I will pass it on sometime this week.

Came home and walked, then walked dogs.
Started laundry.
Emailed little brother's credit union since I can't get a live person on the phone. Hopefully, they can tell me what I need to do next.
Changed PC'ing mac and cheese until later in the week as my gall bladder is hurting so I am doing a liver cleanse.
Still need to fill out wills, etc. maybe today.
Cook ears of corn and make pudding (not from corn) LOL.

17 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Did your area get hit with those storms, Miki?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

We got about 2 more inches of rain and some thunder, but not too bad where we are.  Where Stephanie lives (or close) got clobbered!  She said she was safe!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the updates, Miki.  Glad you got thru that round okay.  I know only approximately where Stephanie is and.....I was worried.   Thankful that you were able to solve that.   :amen: 

We're having WIND today but it's sunny.  Probably a 'Snow-Eater'  [ a.k.a. Chinook]  and the snow is indeed disappearing.  It is not, however, warm to stand out in the wind.  :grinning-smiley-044:

DH is outside opening all the car doors ......to blow the dog hair out!  :lol:   She's nearly ....not quite yet....done with her spring shed.  Didn't open the back hatch tho....cuz WIND is strong enough to rip it off if the angle is wrong.  Also have dog blanket on the clothes line.  Automated blanket SHAKING!  :thumbs:  

I'm staying inside cuz big WIND drives my nervous system crazy.  :behindsofa: 

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 3
10 hours ago, TheCG said:

This year's selection of plants to kill has been mostly purchased and planted.  There are still a few more that we'll add, but getting them into soil the day after buying them has to be a record for me.

Plants to kill...I definitely relate to that. I do pretty well after I get them in the ground but I'll kill anything in the house. E.v.e.r.y. t.i.m.e.

I'm an over waterer. I can't stand to see a poor plant dry.  :rolleyes:

All of my shrubs end up as deer food. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Plants to kill...I definitely relate to that. I do pretty well after I get them in the ground but I'll kill anything in the house. E.v.e.r.y. t.i.m.e.

I'm an over waterer. I can't stand to see a poor plant dry.  :rolleyes:

All of my shrubs end up as deer food. 

I don't think it's possible to overwater out here.  I've killed a cactus because I didn't water it often enough.  

I think that if you mulch things here, it traps enough heat in to cook the roots when it starts to get warm.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Miki glad you did ok with those storms. 

Got things together this morning and then went to Lowe's. They didn't have half of what I needed. So still looking for bone meal, the 5-10-5 fertilizer and a small air compressor. Couldn't believe they didn't have any air compressors. Did find the cow manure and some other things I needed. 

Going to Home Depot tomorrow to find the rest of what I need.  Found the clothes line cord for the clothes line poles at Taylors do it yourself hardware. So just got to restring it. 

Had to order a new filter for the shop vac. That was not an easy task as everyone was out of them. Did finally find one but to the cost of $50.  Ouch! Dh had not changed in so long that I had to cross reference the numbers to find one. Most places were sold out or not getting anymore of that model in. Hope this doesn't mean I will one day have to replace it. You can only blow out the filters so many times before you have no choice but to replace them and this was one of those times. 

Got the new parts for the grill, so when SIL comes back in, he can get that put together for me. I am going to watch how he does it so I can learn to replace the burners myself.  Doesn't look to hard. But rather he show me to make sure I am doing it the right way.  So got the grill all cleaned up and ready for new parts. 

• Like 5

Hi Miki. So glad to see you posting. You were being worried about. Speaking of worrying...has anyone heard from Kappy since the storms rolled through?

I didn't duck your Jeep but I would have!  :darthduck:   LOL

That's how I chose my user name. I was trying to think of a name for over two weeks. I really wanted to join in but could not come up with a name. I had just bought my Jeep and was absolutely loving it. It wasn't new but new to me. So, it was either Jeepster or Jeepers. Jeepers, that took a long time to decide! So Jeepers it was. Good thing I didn't buy an Oldsmobile. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Hi Miki. So glad to see you posting. You were being worried about. Speaking of worrying...has anyone heard from Kappy since the storms rolled through?

I didn't duck your Jeep but I would have!  :darthduck:   LOL

That's how I chose my user name. I was trying to think of a name for over two weeks. I really wanted to join in but could not come up with a name. I had just bought my Jeep and was absolutely loving it. It wasn't new but new to me. So, it was either Jeepster or Jeepers. Jeepers, that took a long time to decide! So Jeepers it was. Good thing I didn't buy an Oldsmobile. 

I also lurked longer than I wanted to because I couldn't come up with a name!  :lol:    Finally, in desperation, I decided to go with something like Special Diet Lady or something like that...It was late at night when I finally decided.  I was signing up and wondered if I was spelling special correctly.   How embarrassing it would have been to be new here and mess up the spelling of my user name.  :ashamed0002:   Anyway, I got the dictionary to look up the spelling of special and one of the definitions was "out of the ordinary".  :curtsey:

LittleSister, is your user name from the Gene Stratton Porter book Laddie ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm really struggling with this Windows 10 computer. Too many options. 

I can't find half of the stuff I have saved. It can be in File Explorer, My Documents, This Computer, Quick Access, One Drive or who knows where else. The only thing I can find for sure is if it's on the Desktop. I have moved stuff around but sometimes if I move it from its original place it says it's been deleted.  So now I park things in the trash can until I see if I can still access it from its new location. At least I'm not losing anything that way. Maybe I should get an instruction manual. "Simple Computers For Simple People" I'm sure probably get it figured out but dang, it shouldn't have to take this long.

I've also been going through all of 'My Favorites' I have saved too. I have a lot of those websites saved! But since I started saving them, so many are now gone. It's taking a lot of time clicking on them to see if they are still viable. A lot of the old prepper sites from the 2014 - 2016 years are gone or no longer active. 

I've been trying to get this computer cleaned out to save room.

I don't know which button I'm hitting with my left hand that keeps posting before I'm ready but I wish I'd stop it. Probably the same one that keeps making my screen gigantic while I'm typing. 

Edited by Jeepers
Posted Too Soon
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
43 minutes ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

I also lurked longer than I wanted to because I couldn't come up with a name!  :lol:    Finally, in desperation, I decided to go with something like Special Diet Lady or something like that...It was late at night when I finally decided.  I was signing up and wondered if I was spelling special correctly.   How embarrassing it would have been to be new here and mess up the spelling of my user name.  :ashamed0002:   Anyway, I got the dictionary to look up the spelling of special and one of the definitions was "out of the ordinary".  :curtsey:

LittleSister, is your user name from the Gene Stratton Porter book Laddie ?

No, I chose my name as one of my Sunday school ladies always calls me her little sister. We are not real sisters, just friends. But that stuck and she tells everyone that I am her little sister. So the name Littlesister.  Guess it really stuck. 

• Like 4