MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

:sSig_thankyou:

Love the idea Kappy! I thought of something similar that they did in the olden days (1950's). They used something called Bom Ami. It was a powder cleanser similar to Ajax, Comet, etc. only white. People made a paste of it and put it on their windows for privacy. Usually when they were moving in a new house and didn't have curtains yet or for upstairs attics. But I could never find it. Tempura paint sounds perfect! 

That would be perfect for my basement windows. Nosey neighbor can see right in there from his driveway and yard. I put foil over the windows but they are sort of recessed and it keeps sliding down. I'm going to get some for the Indy house for sure. I put up bubble wrap on the windows but soon found out you can see right through it.  :sEm_blush: 

• Like 2

OMG You knew about that!  Mary knew about putting something on windows but couldnt remember what the paste was!  

M:y dad swore by it for scrubbing things you didnt want to scratch (bugs off car windows).  Hard to find but now I'll have to grab some next time I see it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course I know about it. I was born in 1952.  :008Laughing:

People used it as a glass cleaner because it did a great job and didn't scratch. Before people could afford that pricey fancy Windex that rich people used, the rest of us used Bon Ami and a newspaper.  

Scary thought but I might have just become the old generation the younger generation talk about picking their brain about the olden days. 

Better hurry though. It's getting slim pickin's up there now. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just got my last bag of mixed veggies in the dehydrator. I'm hoping I will have my 2 half gallon jars filled this week. Will take a picture when I do. Who knows where the picture will be though. I'll try. Next will be corn. I know I should do some of each veggie but you know...OCD. Must fill one jar at a time. Half full jars would drive me crazy-er. I work with what I have.  :sEm_blush:

I know pasta is in short supply. I hear it and I see in on the store shelves. There is a brand of angel hair pasta I like and it fits perfectly in a container I have. :rolleyes:  It's from Sam's and each pound (6 per box) is individual wrapped. I like that. I have checked at Sam's for a couple of months and they are always out. A week or two ago I was going to order some but it didn't ship until mid March. I tried Wal-Mart since it's the same company. I ordered it from there but I really didn't think I'd get it. A few days ago I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon on a hunch It wasn't going to arrive from Wal-Mart. I'll always eat it eventually. The day it was supposed to arrive I got an email saying it was delayed. I knew it. Especially since the day before I noticed it hadn't shipped yet. Today I got an email saying it was cancelled. I had a feeling all along it wasn't going to show up. What really makes me angry is they still have it for sale as though it's still available. Amazon has already shipped it and it's on the way here tomorrow. It did cost a little more but at least It will arrive here and my pasta hole will be filled. They only have one left now. 

And it's made in Italy. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to that but I've been hearing that the pasta on the shelves now is not made with the semolina flour used in Italy and it has an off taste. So, I guess I got lucky with the angel hair pasta. Hope Barilla pasta (macaroni) tastes okay because I have a boat load of it. I'm thinking inferior flour is being used now? This link explains the pasta shortages we are seeing.  ‘Out of control’ durum wheat market expected to cause pasta shortage (bakeryandsnacks.com)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Going to Sunday School this morning and coming home.
Going with DH to Lowe's for mailbox supplies and Tractor Supply for dog food. Maybe stop at Walmart for a couple of things.
Come home and walk dogs.
Grill pork steaks.
Watch movies with DH!

• Like 3

Had to go to Harris Teeter to pick up RX's. One is still not in yet but should be here after 2 pm tomorrow. So, I really wasn't going to buy groceries as I feel I am good to go but did go ahead and get a few things that were hard to find. Cooking wine was one of them and they had it this time. So, got a couple bottles. And speaking of Bon Ami. Yes, I am very familiar with that. And I wasn't looking for it but wanted some laundry detergent that was on sale, and they had it. Only had 3 and I bought all 3 cans.  They had signs all over the store about shortages. 

Jeepers I am 2 years ahead of you 1950. 

I found something new and interesting at the store Vanilla Powder. Never seen it before. So, I bought one. Not cheap $8.69 for a 1.1 oz. jar. It is the real deal just like the real vanilla liquid. They had water on sale so picked up a couple packs of that as well. 24 bottles in each one. No limit on chicken there, so don't know why it is only at Food Lion.  Also, they had signs for the canning jars about shortages. So, thinking that is about to happen again and canning jars will be hard to find again. Cambell's soup was about out. Very limited on types you could buy. They had Progresso soups on sale, buy 2 and get 3 free. So, I jumped on that. Other than the things that have been hard to find. That is all I bought. 

I am really getting antsy for these guys to finish up on this house so I can get things together. I need to can, dehydrate, and sewing to do as well as get the garden started if the weather will just hold out for that. We are about to have rain again for the next 2 or 3 days. Did get the tarp for the firewood and about to go get that taken care of as soon as the weather gets better. I don't want to be stacking wood in the rain and cold. Harris Teeter was mobbed today. People had their baskets loaded down and the lines were all the way to the back of the store. They had almost every line open. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Now to get all the stuff from my previous [now dead] laptop back where I can access it.  :hapydancsmil:

There is a special cable that you can buy to transfer everything from your old machine to your new one; it's called a Data Transfer Cable.

Front Zoom. Accell - 2.6 Ft USB Type C to USB Type C Cable - Black. 

I got it at Best Buy when I needed to transfer everthing from my Win 7 machine to this new one. You may have to purchase it online, and you may be able to find a better price, but here is  link:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/accell-2-6-ft-usb-type-c-to-usb-type-c-cable-black/6452195.p?skuId=6452195

From the reviews section of the linked site:

Q: QuestionI want to transfer data from my old computer to the new one. I've been looking at what type of cable to purchase. There have been a number of warnings on other sites which caution that the wrong cable can burn out your USB ports. Any suggestions?

Asked 3 years ago by longnest1.

• A:Answer This cable is safe to use. Usb ports provide power from the computer because many USB devices are not powered. Because both computers provide power, problems are often encountered and the USB ports are damaged. This cable does not connect the power ports. If this cable is used to connect a unpowered device, the device simply will not work.

Answered 3 years ago by tuffyVerified Purchase

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 2/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, kappydell said:

Still feeling down over having to put down one of our dogs (cancer).  He was my little shadow...whever I went he followed and guarded me

On 2/18/2022 at 6:13 PM, Littlesister said:

Kappy, I am so sorry to hear about Duke. I know you will miss him, but just remember the good times of him following you like your little shadow. He will still be following you in spirit. 

@kappydell Sorry to hear about your "shadow." :(

d06dc4857701c1ba4eca4ef890fa0c7e.jpg.905128ee2b56e7c05f9a545912baeb0d.jpg   1348878770_alwaysbesideyou.thumb.jpg.d0d0f4fdcf0ae8f08b69b4b46bad75fb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DH and I are STILL missing Koa so much.  :(   It's been since Sept and .....   After  a couple of months, we just had to get another dog.  We were just too sad.  We don't have any other animals either.  So it's been good to have HappyDog.  She's so completely opposite of Koa.  This one is still puppy reactions at 3 yrs.  She makes us laugh.  But in the quiet moments, I can still shed tears for Koa.  :wub:  

Sorry for your pain, Kappy.  I understand that each one of your clan is an individual.... and loved.  But some are a bit more special....more linked in to you. 

MtRider  :sigh: 

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Jeepers I am 2 years ahead of you 1950. 

Boomers Rock!  :eclipsee_Victoria:

I went ahead and ordered another bucket of wheat berries. I've been thinking about it for awhile. To be honest, I don't really expect to get it. I ordered from Wal-Mart and they cancelled my pasta order so...who knows. If I get it then that's great. If I don't then that's okay too. I already have two of the 4 gal. buckets. So I'm good either way. It was from Augason Farms through Wal-Mart. Amazon has the exact same thing for $105.00 a bucket. At Wal-Mart it's $36.99. Quite a difference! But that's another reason I probably won't get it. I'll see March 2nd. 

Speaking of which, I just heard the Amazon dude deliver the pasta that Wal-Mart didn't. 

• Like 3

We have a data transfer cable,  and I have used it with good luck.  I have also had DH pull the hard drive out of the old machine and pop it into an empty slot in the new machine.   One time, I had a damaged drive and I put it in a ziplock bag in the freezer for a few hours, then had him connect it to an empty slot where I just used windows explorer to move it to the good drive.  I managed to salvage 99% of my data from it that way.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haven't done anything yet.
Yesterday we went to Lowes and bought a bigger mailbox, moved the post so it is closer to the road as was requested by the mail lady.

So today will be what I didn't get done yesterday.
Walk first and walk dogs.
Make a few business phone calls.

Laundry.
Make a broccoli casserole.
Grill the pork steaks.
Check walkie talkies and check batteries in faraday cages.

• Like 3

I was pleasantly surprised today. I ordered a 4 gallon bucket of Augason Farms wheat berries from Wal-Mart on Sunday for $36.99. I didn't really think I would receive them since they cancelled my pasta order last week. But they just delivered it. Woo-hoo! It only took it 2 days to get here. I have 3 buckets of wheat berries now. I'm short on corn though because I can't find corn in a bucket. I'm going to get some more popcorn for eating and grinding this week to add to what little bit I do have to help fill a bucket of corn. I have a bucket of flour and a bucket of corn meal and three buckets of rice and 2 buckets of oatmeal. I think I'm pretty good in the grain department for about a year. Longer if I don't have to dip into it. 

Oh, beans. I need more beans. Has anyone cooked their beans and then dehydrated them? To make instant beans. I know you can buy pinto beans that way but I'd like some great northern beans pre-cooked and dehydrated. I sort of have a fear of old beans becoming too hard to cook down soft. Wouldn't a freeze dryer be luverly.  :sigh:

I got a notice from Medicare today. It said it wasn't a bill but I could be charged later on. Sigh. I'm not concerned because they always pay. If they don't my supplemental plan will. The bill would only be for $15.58. Not earth shattering for a medical bill. I thought it was odd because I haven't been to the doctor in over a year+. :sEm_blush:  Not smart I know, I know.  Anyway, I looked it over and the claim was processed on Feb. 11, 2022. A couple of days ago. The procedure I had done was an X-ray of the soft tissue of my neck. It was done October 10, 2017.  Nearly five years ago. Around the time of my acupuncture fiasco. And they just noticed? Isn't there a statute of limitations on medical bills? If not there should be. I'm really glad it wasn't in the hundreds/thousands of dollars because with upcoming taxes, I wouldn't be able to afford it. It also said that I had met my deductible for the year 2017. Ya think. Crimony.  

I hate it when I get something from the government or anything official looking. My heart skips a beat for a few seconds. It usually involves me paying out money. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have successfully cooked beans 5+ years old in a pressure cooker.  You don't even have to soak them.   Beans , water, seasonings in the insta pot (or old fashioned pressure cooker) takes about 25-30m + pressure time, so usually around an hour.  

• Like 4

I did ebay photos first this morning for DH.
Walked.
Paid bills.
Roasting bones and veggies for turkey stock to pressure can tomorrow. The stock will cook overnight.
That should be it for today.

• Like 3

I use an Instapot when I do beans. But they aren't that old. I always put some olive oil in so they don't foam up and block the vent. I've heard something about adding baking soda to the water of old beans but I'm not sure why. 

• Like 3

I also use an instapot for beans also.  Baking soda is supposed to help make beans more tender, but mainly it reduces the gas that occurs naturally in beans. 

Workers did not come today. But the owner did. He did some measurements for shoe molding and the door for shower. Then he set the vanity in the bathroom. Looking really good. So now I can start cleaning up dust and moving my bedroom furniture back into place and mop the floor. Got my firewood storage racks tightened up and in place where I wanted them. Went to market and ordered a cord of wood. Though now I don't think I will be using that much wood this winter being it is now March, I will have it to start off next winter. Then can just add to that with the oldest moved to the smaller rack. Then pulled weeds. So now I am beat.  It felt good to be able to get out and do something instead of just sitting around while the contractors worked. Got the end tables back in den and dusted down. But still can't get to the couches yet. And paid off most of the bill for all this construction. :hapydancsmil:So they are almost ready to start the main bathroom as soon as the hook up sink, put shower door up and put the toilet in and that small bathroom is done. So, this time while they are working on main bathroom, at least I can get the rest of house back together. The new kitchen sink they had to replace should be here tomorrow. Shiplap on the one wall in den is halfway done. Hopefully that will be finished tomorrow.  

Now to figure out how to get pictures from phone to computer so I can send pictures. Nothing wants to work for me like I hoped. But will get someone that knows how to do it to help me as soon as he comes into town. 

• Like 5
On 2/28/2022 at 7:41 AM, snapshotmiki said:

Check walkie talkies and check batteries in faraday cages.

Hmm.....thanks for reminder.  It's been a while.  :thumbs: 

I'm trying to walk with dog regularly again.  So this is Day 2.  Very warm/sunny.  B)  Have a handle on dog's body harness so ......after burrowing into every foot of a big expanse of snow, HappyDog was able to give me some assistance going up steep driveway.  And steps.  Then I changed into shorts and tank and sat on porch for some Vit D!!!!  Without any breeze coming across the snow that hasn't melted, it was warm.  Doing all I can to build back up after the Siege of 'C'....  Cuz a cross-country trip is in our [probably near] future. 

Sorting thru things.  FINALLY found my Swiss Army knife in it's Easy-To-Lose black nylon sheath.  :sigh:  I lose it about every other week.  So I tied a bit of orange ribbon on it!  It was in my purse....despite having looked 3times!!!  This time I dumped it out....yep, that works.  Reorganized some things for trip.  Still have to organize all the meds, OTC, and First Aid.  Told my mom to bring my dad's big LED spotlight.  Was our Bday gift to him last year.  IN CASE of road repairs or something.  Ordered replacement part necessary for her O2 portable concentrater today.  Glad we thot of that before she had to lay down to sleep.  Only time she uses O2. 

MtRider.....fresh air, dog-in-snow-antics, Vit D bath.....  :offtobed: 

• Like 5

It's sunny and warm here, also!  Yay!

I was sneezing last night and didn't sleep well. Seemed ok this morning except for a little more sneezing and tired. No fever at all and I could certainly smell the turkey broth cooking overnight and today. May have been allergies and I am ok now.

I walked the dogs this morning, but not myself.
Worked on skimming, straining and canning the turkey broth today. The canners are cooling now.
Prayer meeting this evening.

• Like 3

Been a fairly busy day. They are almost done in small bathroom. Toilet is in as well as sink. Just waiting for the shower door and cabinets to go up along with the towel racks and toilet tissue holder. 

Met the new neighbors' today. Very nice. 4 small kids. 3 boys and oldest is a girl. They are military and just moved back from Italy. 

Firewood will be delivered around 7pm today. So, everything is ready to stack it. I decided to get a cord of wood. Never know what is going to happen down the road. 

As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Yes, the neighbor moving out put 2 nice heavy duty plastic shelving units on street for trash. I scored. They will come in handy. They are in great shape. 

Mt. Rider glad you are getting out walking again. I am trying to do that. But depends on when contractors come in and when they leave. I did get to walk around block this morning as plumber didn't show till 9:30. He stopped to pick up supplies. Won't be long and they will be doing demo on main bathroom. So, I will be busy cleaning up and getting bedroom back together. Trying to get things together for garden. Got the small green house up and just need to put the plastic cover on it and tie it down. Not very big but I can start seeds in it since I can't start them in garage. 

• Like 4

I really hope we have another warm day tomorrow. I have to stack a cord of wood tomorrow. I will be really sore by the time I get done as I will be stacking it by myself. What can I say? Living by myself now and family scattered all over in other states now. So, I do what I have to do for as long as I am able. 

• Like 2

I had to go to the post office today. I drove by the recycle bin and they still haven't emptied it. And I still have a back seat full of cardboard. I did a drive thru at Burger King for a vanilla coke. They were taking cash only. They had a sign up saying they will close at 4:00pm due to lack of help. I drove past a gas station and it is $3.59. Then I went to an ATM. Actually I went to two of them. Both out of cash. I've never seen that happen before. I'll try again tomorrow if I get out. I don't really NEED it right now but want to stay topped off. 

• Like 2

I'm still not quite 100%. Feel pretty good, just missing my all day energy that I usually have.
I need to go to Tractor Supply for a back up dog food.
Hit the bank for a little cash.
Day old bread store.
Piggly Wiggly for pork steaks.
Maybe a thrift store.
Come home and cut carrots for dog treats and cut sweet potatoes to make treats tomorrow.
May skip Bible Study if I am real tired.
Thaw burger to make meatloaf tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Miki, Hope you feel better soon and get your energy back. I know all too well about being tired and no energy.

I have been stacking wood all morning. Looking like construction workers won't be here today as it is now 9:30. I got a little over a 1/2 stack done. I have an eight-foot rack and a four-foot rack to fill. One is over halfway filled now. So, looks like he dumped over a cord. Maybe a cord and a quarter. Not the best-looking firewood I've had, but it burns. Just taking a break now. After sitting around and doing almost nothing since construction started in Jan. This will be real exercise.  I see a hot soak in tub tonight and a muscle relaxer and early to bed tonight. Need to call the chimney guy. The cap to keep birds out of chimney fell over and is just hanging there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1